The Unreliable Rumours Thread

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Here's me dreaming. I don't know enough of that Demirbay fella, so I am not going to comment much about his ability. The one thing I would go with is Klopp's interest in him and that's mighty good enough for me. You then have Rabiot whom we now apparently making that "Godfather" like offer that he can't refuse. Then there's Iker Muniain and Aaron Ramsey. All of which only Demirbay is going to cost us £24m. If all comes through the Shankly gate, I can tell you one thing - We will have a midfield that can conquer the whole of Europe in a fraction of a price.

Just imagine 2 midfield of Rabiot and Fabinho. Iker Muniain on the right, Firmino down the middle and Mane on the left side and Salah leading the attack. On the bench we have Demirbay, Ramsey and Wijnaldum backing up those 5 supporting the striker, Sturridge for Salah. I mean, come on! If we don't conquer Europe until 2023, I don't know what will. Don't need that big money Pulisic or Sancho. Don't think we have to spend anymore in 2 more windows if those list of players come in.
Leaving Shaq in the kitchen is a bad idea. The fat ******* will finish off all the pies.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
I don't know where to post this, so I'm doing it here. Sorry if it's the wrong place.

We have a new South American scout! I've been following him for a few years already on twitter and this guy is good. Very professional, very respected on his field of work (he is a sports journalist).

Maybe if he were a LFC scout 6 months earlier we could have had Paquetá or Lautaro Martinez.

GaryBarlow99

I don't know where to post this, so I'm doing it here. Sorry if it's the wrong place.

Maybe if he were a LFC scout 6 months earlier we could have had Paquetá or Lautaro Martinez.
How? We are having enough problems getting Allan a work permit after three years with us so it is highly unlikely we will be signing any young South American talent any time soon imo.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
How? We are having enough problems getting Allan a work permit after three years with us so it is highly unlikely we will be signing any young South American talent any time soon imo.
Big signings (a lot of money) are way easier getting a work permit. Allan cost was something like £500k? I doubt a £30m+ buy wouldn't be enough. Jesus got it.

I think we might not be buying South American players because Klopp doesn't like to buy in this area, unfortunately. Paquetá for example would be everything people are looking for.

Coddite84

Tonight against redstar showed we neee more strength in the middle. Need someone like Kante who can win the ball and dictate play. Also need somebody like Fekir who can light things up when nothing is happening.

Richard88

South American scouting isn't necessarily about signing players directly from their South American club, but about establishing long track records and familiarity with players who the club later become targets in Europe. After all, how does one know that a South American player excelling at his first club in Europe isn't just a flash-in-the-pan, without having scouted the player previously before he came to Europe?...

For example, I recall reading somewhere that when Firmino was signed the club had already been aware of him long before he played for Hoffenheim. Firmino used to play in a more defensive position in lower tiers of Brazilian football, which is why he's so good defensively now as a striker after he's developed his attacking skills, and that information would have been useful in assessing his suitability for a high-pressing attacking side.

Foldy

The Dembele story came from The S*n so you can guarantee its 100% bullshit. If we're going to spend 85 million on anybody it would need to be for an AM. I'm not even sure if that kind of money even gets you someone like Isco or Asensio.

Richard88

The Dembele story came from The S*n so you can guarantee its 100% bullshit. If we're going to spend 85 million on anybody it would need to be for an AM. I'm not even sure if that kind of money even gets you someone like Isco or Asensio.
I'm not so sure that an AM really is the prime need right now. If you think long-term, the team has Ox, Keita, and Shaqiri in that role, with Wijnaldum (and possibly Milner/Lallana depending on how long they stay) as cover.

Conversely, Mané is the only natural LW in the squad, and there's no natural cover on either wing. With that in mind, adding another LW would give Klopp the perfect opportunity to rotate Mané and Salah, particularly given that Mané can play on the right as well (as he did in his first season under Klopp).

Weekend PL: Mané ----- Firmino -- Salah
Midweek CL: New LW -- Firmino -- Salah
Weekend PL: New LW -- Firmino -- Mané

Obviously rotate Firmino as appropriate too, but another winger gives far more flexibility to the squad, and also allows there to always be a really good impact sub on the bench.

Richard88

Give them matip and we get sessegnon +cash
Good idea in theory, but:

1. Why would Matip want to join a club looking likely to be in the Championship next season?

2. Going with only 3 CB's (i.e. Van Dijk, Gomez, Lovren) for the second half of the season would be incredibly risky.

3. Fulham won't sell their best attacking player midseason. Though it's likely that they'd be willing to sell him at the end of the season (especially if they are relegated).

FGred

Good idea in theory, but:

1. Why would Matip want to join a club looking likely to be in the Championship next season?

2. Going with only 3 CB's (i.e. Van Dijk, Gomez, Lovren) for the second half of the season would be incredibly risky.

3. Fulham won't sell their best attacking player midseason. Though it's likely that they'd be willing to sell him at the end of the season (especially if they are relegated).
I know its a no go i was just being flippant but in the summer i reckon we will bid for De Ligt and get rid of him

Richard88

I know its a no go i was just being flippant but in the summer i reckon we will bid for De Ligt and get rid of him
Should Matip be allowed to leave it'll be tough to sign another CB who is better than him (or even equal in quality) given that few CB's would realistically expect to get more playing time than Matip has. That's due to the form of Gomez and Van Dijk as the clear first choice partnership, and the presence of Lovren who for all his flaws has still lead his teams to CL and World Cup finals recently.

Last edited:

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
This was on yesterday's BBC rumours page. Any thoughts from our German reds?

Liverpool are set to sign Hoffenheim's Germany midfielder Kerem Demirbay, 25, in the January transfer window. (Sunday Express)

This was there too.
But Liverpool's hopes of signing £60m-rated Ajax defender Matthijs de Ligt look to be over, with the 19-year-old Netherlands international now bound for Barcelona. (Sunday Mirror)

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
From today's BBC rumours page ...
US midfielder Christian Pulisic, 20, will leave Borussia Dortmund for the Premier League, but the Chelsea and Liverpool target will come in the summer rather than January. (Mirror)
Liverpool are targeting current Bundesliga top goal scorer Luka Jovic - but they face competition from Barcelona and Bayern Munich for the 20-year-old Frankfurt and Serbia striker. (Bild - in German)
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has dismissed speculation that Brazilian defensive midfielder Fabinho, 25, will be leaving the club. (Liverpool Echo)

Coddite84

We should sign James Forrest from Celtic in the window he is coming onto a game and into phenomenal form would be a good addition... The new Dalglish!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I don't think it means all that much really, only that we won't sell a player for less than 100 million euros to them before 2020. If they were going for Mane or Firmino you'd expect they'd pay at least that anyway.

If they bid 150 million for Mane we'd probably accept it, but there'd be no way we'd accept 50 million.