• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Why would we want him in January when we can get him for free in Feb, and we are not short on midfielders so far? That's what puzzles me....
I did say, in replacement, not in addition.

Limiescouse

Why would we want him in January when we can get him for free in Feb, and we are not short on midfielders so far? That's what puzzles me....
It's not much of a puzzle. PSG will try and sell him in January because 1) they are pissed off with him and 2) to get something out of it. If we want him (and I dont believe we do), if we wait until the summer it will be too late.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I did say, in replacement, not in addition.
It's not much of a puzzle. PSG will try and sell him in January because 1) they are pissed off with him and 2) to get something out of it. If we want him (and I dont believe we do), if we wait until the summer it will be too late.
We are not short in the midfield department, are we? Puzzle me still why we are so hardup in signing someone we don't need right now? We aren't selling any of our midfielders either.

Sweeting

I know basically nothing about Rabiot so this is an actual question, not a disguised attack but...

From what I can see of his career, he has come through at PSG into a team that cannot be touched domestically. Occasionally, he has had to play against Barcelona etc in the Champions League and they are consistently dumped out at the first big challenge they stumble into.

He managed to be a squad player for the French team at a time when France were hammering more or less everyone they played.

My understanding is he is a deep lying/defensive midfielder.

My question is has he ever had to actually do anything other than make pretty passes and generally look cultured? From an outsider looking in it appears that he might have had an easy ride so far, playing in a position that rarely gets pressured for a team that is a million miles better than anything they face. Could he be relied upon away at Chelsea or Man City or Watford or Burnley where he wouldn't have the passive acceptance of his team's superiority?

Is he actually any good or is he a fancy player who has never been tested?

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I know basically nothing about Rabiot so this is an actual question, not a disguised attack but...

From what I can see of his career, he has come through at PSG into a team that cannot be touched domestically. Occasionally, he has had to play against Barcelona etc in the Champions League and they are consistently dumped out at the first big challenge they stumble into.

He managed to be a squad player for the French team at a time when France were hammering more or less everyone they played.

My question is has he ever had to actually do anything other than make pretty passes and generally look cultured? From an outsider looking in it appears that he might have had an easy ride so far, playing in a position that rarely gets pressured for a team that is a million miles better than anything they face. Could he be relied upon away at Chelsea or Man City or Watford or Burnley where he wouldn't have the passive acceptance of his team's superiority?

I don't think he's a fancy player, he has great technical ability, he's a good passer of the ball, he can dictate the tempo. His probably best performances came in Champions League last season and the season before that, he was immense in those games, hovering up and down the pitch, popping up wherever he's needed, opponents unable to touch him when he has the ball.

However, my opinion is that his recent struggles at PSG and French national team stem from two things: him thinking that he deserves more "respect" and tactical setup at PSG. Verratti is the chief deep-lying midfielder there, we all know of his quality on the ball, while there's usually someone more physical next to him in tougher matches, while in Ligue 1, I think it's mostly Rabiot. I've never been sure if Rabiot considers himself a more attacking or more "controlling" midfielder, there were reports on both, but I think he'd make a proper controlling DM, someone who's half-way between, say, Busquets and Henderson.

That said, I doubt he will end up at Liverpool, I doubt that Klopp is even interested, not just because James Pearce quashed all the rumours of Liverpool's interest - unless Klopp is planning to make a permanent switch to 4-2-3-1. One might say that Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Keita are long-term options, AOC will hopefully be back and good for the long term, while Milner is here for the short term (one player whose replacement will be very difficult to find, I'm afraid) and Lallana is as good as gone in my book. That's five senior players, and not counting the youngsters who play in those positions. I really don't see where he would fit, as much as I like him as player (and I really do).

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I'll put it this way.... he's a nice to have, not a must have. He is pretty effective in his role as a midfielder who is quite versatile in terms of playing deeper or box-to-box, kinda like Henderson with more skills. So it would be nice to have him here if we were to lose Milner next season, if we were to lose our vice captain. Otherwise, we don't really have a need for him and I don't think he would want to stick around as a backup to our lot.

Limiescouse

[Rabiot] Is he actually any good or is he a fancy player who has never been tested?
He is big, strong and technically very good. Think Xavi in Pogba's body. He is everything physically you'd want. But what you insinuate about the sort of player he might be based on the relatively easy ride he has had precisely describes his mentality. He has now fallen out with his last 3 coaches (club and international), largely over his dissatisfaction at being asked to play the role that best suits the needs to the team rather than the one he thinks is best for his career. And when people tried to question whether Deschamps was cutting off his nose despite his face for dropping him over this disagreement, he was very quick to point out that the more fundamental issue was he simply hadn't played well enough for France when picked.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
At a general level I think it speaks volumes about the huge strides we've made as a squad over the past couple of years in particular that we can now talk about a player as good as Rabiot and feel quite neutral about whether or not he comes. Go back to latter-day BR and he would have seemed like a player instrumental to driving us to the next level, now he would be a 'nice to have to bulk out the squad, not essential'. Another couple of transfer windows under Klopp and Edwards and we'll probably be more like "Adrian who?"

I'd be pleased enough if he comes as he is a good player, and more than that his arrival would be an indication Klopp and Edwards rate him and believe they can work with him, but I can't honestly say I'll be the least bit bothered if he doesn't.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
He is big, strong and technically very good. Think Xavi in Pogba's body. He is everything physically you'd want. But what you insinuate about the sort of player he might be based on the relatively easy ride he has had precisely describes his mentality. He has now fallen out with his last 3 coaches (club and international), largely over his dissatisfaction at being asked to play the role that best suits the needs to the team rather than the one he thinks is best for his career. And when people tried to question whether Deschamps was cutting off his nose despite his face for dropping him over this disagreement, he was very quick to point out that the more fundamental issue was he simply hadn't played well enough for France when picked.
You realized you sort of just described him as Pogba in Pogba's body here... ;) Or as we say in baseball here - "Million dollar arm, 10 cent head."

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Good point. He can certainly do a job wide, but his main strengths (driving with the ball from deep and picking out through balls) are largely wasted there though.
I get you now, more Coutinho than Keita. A right sided Shaqiri/Fekir who can play 10 would be nice to mix it up when needed. I think thats what we'll get due to Shaqs impact and not going after Fekir.

Flobs

FADA

He hates the DM role which is one of the reasons he wants out. He's just not good enough in those advanced roles. Btw his early days were wide midfielder and midfeilder. I just don't see where he would fit in.
There is debate here in France with views split between my stance (he's shit) and my son's stance (he's a good player) yet no-one considers him outstanding (he's not even fit to tie Hendersons laces).
He has had an easy ride and what I didn't like about him was he did hide behind others in the squad. I suppose he's a poor man's Shelvey) even on a free I wouldn't want him. :)

Oh! he's not fancy he's just not good enough i can not see what some see in him.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He hates the DM role which is one of the reasons he wants out. He's just not good enough in those advanced roles. Btw his early days were wide midfielder and midfeilder. I just don't see where he would fit in.
There is debate here in France with views split between my stance (he's shit) and my son's stance (he's a good player) yet no-one considers him outstanding (he's not even fit to tie Hendersons laces).
He has had an easy ride and what I didn't like about him was he did hide behind others in the squad. I suppose he's a poor man's Shelvey) even on a free I wouldn't want him. :)

Oh! he's not fancy he's just not good enough i can not see what some see in him.
Yet will probably end up at Barca, Juve or similar and PSG (one of the richest clubs on the planet) want to keep him and woukd play him every week if it weren't for the contract issue? Wish I was that shit.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/exclusive-liverpool-rb-salzburg?utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=sam-mcguire-twitter

Exclusive: Liverpool tracking Red Bull Salzburg star

today
• by Sam McGuire
SHARE:email

Liverpool are closely monitoring Red Bull Salzburg striker Munas Dabbur as they search for an ideal understudy to Roberto Firmino, Football Whispers can exclusively reveal.
The Reds, through the work of Jürgen Klopp and Michael Edwards, have assembled a squad capable of rivalling Manchester City for the Premier League title.
But there’s a void in their attacking ranks as the current leaders are without ideal cover for their Brazilian No.9. And even though he’s been fortunate with injuries, he can’t play every single game.
The Reds’ interest in Dabbur is serious and sources have told Football Whispers that Barry Hunter, the chief scout for Liverpool, has travelled to Austria on a number of occasions to watch the forward in action.
The Israel international came of age during the 2017/18 campaign as he netted 22 goals in 32 matches. He also chipped in with a further five assists. He added another eight goal involvements in the Europa League as the Austrian club stunned many by reaching the semi-finals.
The 26-year-old already has 16 goals, including three against Celtic, and six assists in all competitions this term and, like a certain Mohamed Salah, he’s proving to be more than just a one-season wonder.

Liverpool’s current striking alternatives – Dominic Solanke, Daniel Sturridgeand Divock Origi – all have their strengths but none of them can seemingly do what former Hoffenheim star can.

Dabbur wouldn’t be a like-for-like replacement for Firmino in the starting XI but his all-round game is on par with the Brazilian’s even if he is more of a natural forward.
He’s creative, versatile, selfless and, perhaps more importantly, he’d be yet another shrewd signing without the Reds having to break the bank despite the striker having two-and-a-half years left on his current deal.

Liverpool don’t usually do business in January with Klopp on more than one occasion saying he doesn’t feel the winter window offers value for money.
But not only does Dabbur offer that, he’d give the team added depth in attack as they look to continue their title push as well as a tricky tie against Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
Yet will probably end up at Barca, Juve or similar and PSG (one of the richest clubs on the planet) want to keep him and woukd play him every week if it weren't for the contract issue? Wish I was that shit.
The BBC appear to be obsessed with him, too, which is unusual for a non-English player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46635372

Judging by that, he’s definitely off; the question is where and when.

Red over the water

Barcelona in summer would be my guess.

As someone else said above, credit to what we’ve got going on currently, because while a player like Rabiot would be a nice to have, if he doesn’t come it would only elicit a mild shrug of the shoulders.

big noyd

spurious links to werner today. like him quite a bit personally

has featured some at LW for both RBL & germany lately--seems to possess what they'd call 'sneaky' pace in america. would especially be interested in seeing he & salah in front of firmino playing as a #10

FGred

Totally agree Flobs

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/exclusive-liverpool-rb-salzburg?utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=sam-mcguire-twitter

Exclusive: Liverpool tracking Red Bull Salzburg star

today
• by Sam McGuire
SHARE:email

The Israel international came of age during the 2017/18 campaign as he netted 22 goals in 32 matches. He also chipped in with a further five assists. He added another eight goal involvements in the Europa League as the Austrian club stunned many by reaching the semi-finals.
The 26-year-old already has 16 goals, including three against Celtic, and six assists in all competitions this term and, like a certain Mohamed Salah, he’s proving to be more than just a one-season wonder.

Only 3 goals against a Brendan Rodgers defence?
Nah, I would give him a miss! :)

Barnestormer

Left wing.
There were some links yesterday with Timo Werner but I'm mostly ooh-ahh-err with transfer links since Klopp's tenure so I didnt post them. But there you have it. I think we'll will punt for a No 9 next to give another dimension to our play.

[email protected]

By hook or by crook, flops by execs or otherwise, we've managed to get some real thunderbastards done in the Jan window; Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, VVD in recent years. Can't quite think of any other club with a hit list like that and thus it always surprises me when we appear reluctant to have a dip when we ourselves embody the value that can be found.

This season is also different in that nobody is cup tied in the CL. If we want Icardi, for example, then Icardi would be able to play. That, and that we look like having the best chance to secure the title really makes me wish we could at least have a go in the market. Put it this way; we're 3 points up in April and Mané, Bobby or Salah are ruled out for six weeks. Do we really want to pin our hopes on Sturridge and Origi to get us over the line? Add some genuine quality to the squad in Jan and it could play a pivotal part in getting us somewhere with the added benefit of A.N Other already up to speed by next season. This whole 'don't upset squad dynamic' used by some as a kind of reason not to buy is bollocks IMO. So what, guy coming in Jan is a disruption but is welcome in July?

Any chance to strengthen if the opportunity is there should be taken. Any incremental gain in a stronger squad could mean the difference this season.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I believe there is a chance we would bring someone in this January but only if the perfect player can be landed.

The Van Dijk situation is a precedent. We needed the perfect CB, the landing of one in the summer became fucked up but we still really needed to address that need within the squad. We ended up using Wijnaldum there at one point. One was available in January and even though it meant paying a premium I don't think the guys at the club cared about that. It was addressing a need and we are so well run now with incoming and out goings we can spend a bit more on a CB or starting GK if we know it'll be worth it. The fact the CB we bought in the January is the same one from the summer isn't the important point in my eyes.

This summer we tried to add two attackers, a potential hidden diamond to come in as cover as a bare minimum and a bona fide starter from day one in Shaqiri (which has luckily worked out excellently) and Fekir which fell apart. We still need that extra top class player joining the attack. Mane, Salah and Firmino are not being rotated as much as their counterparts in defence (except VvD) and midfield. Traditionally attackers would be the most rotated to keep them sharp. And I believe the plan was not to use Origi at all after he rejected that move and he's already had to start in the league. Plans may have had to change on what style forward and which player we will now look to add to the attack but if the player we've decided on is available in January I wouldn't bat an eyelid at us signing him now instead of waiting till the summer. Money side of things is good at the club I doubt we'd wait 6 months just to save some money if they think there would be a sporting benefit in doing it now.

GaryBarlow99

Klopp has said previously that we would only do something if an opportunity was there or a player left so I could see us trying to bring in a player like Ramsey or Pulisic if Origi was sold and Solanke went on loan or we got an injury to a front player.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Klopp has said previously that we would only do something if an opportunity was there or a player left so I could see us trying to bring in a player like Ramsey or Pulisic if Origi was sold and Solanke went on loan or we got an injury to a front player.
I think Solanke will go on loan regardless of incomings and if anybody makes an offer the player accepts I expect the club will seize the chance of getting Markovic and/or Origi off the books. Neither of them have a future here and Solanke only has one if he really kicks on which he won't do being so far down the pecking order here. Brewster is due back from injury second half of season and Lampard seems a little nervous we may call Wilson back on loan. Even if we don't buy anyone I could see those three leaving and Brewster and Wilson being used for cover if needed.

C

Caradoc

Chatter on the Twattersphere claiming that Dortmund are lining up Hazard Jnr (BMG) as a replacement for Pulisic.

On a more general note, after March 29th it may become clearer what, if any, impact Brexit is going to have on quotas of overseas players for the EPL. Will EU passports still count? I’m just not sure whether the club will make any signings this January for a number of reasons, this just being yet another possible consideration.

Last edited by a moderator: