• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Foldy

And another Fekir link that'll never happen, you'd think he never failed a medical, no but anyway still keep posting he'll be here in January and I'll keep posting that he won't be. Unless he's coming to Melwood as the club handyman then I'm fairly confident it won't be for playing football. Over to you.

GaryBarlow99

And another Fekir link that'll never happen, you'd think he never failed a medical, no but anyway still keep posting he'll be here in January and I'll keep posting that he won't be. Unless he's coming to Melwood as the club handyman then I'm fairly confident it won't be for playing football. Over to you.
Do you have inside knowledge of the transfer?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
This is quite a timely article I read before. Seems it wsn't just the knee that was the issue. I hold my hands up if he does sign with us but I'd put real money on it not happening. See what you think. https://www.empireofthekop.com/2018/12/11/finally-why-liverpool-pulled-out-of-fekir-deal-explained-not-just-knee-issue/
The article doesn't tell us anything new or interesting.

Nobody here knows whether Liverpool have decided to rule him out completely or not. If not, and Fekir's price has come down, that makes the transfer more likely.

Foldy

The article doesn't tell us anything new or interesting.

Nobody here knows whether Liverpool have decided to rule him out completely or not. If not, and Fekir's price has come down, that makes the transfer more likely.
Even if he carries a ticking time bomb medical issue which helped us make the decision to walk away initially??

Richard88

I would love that guy in our team but there is a huge hurdle called Aulas and after the Fekir fiasco he will drive an even bigger bargain
If the reasons for pulling out of the Fekir deal where medical, I don't think Aulas would hold that against Edwards. After all, he's a businessman, even though he might have been frustrated by the outcome. If Aulas can secure a good financial deal for Auoar I'm sure he'd be happy to do business with Edwards again.

Richard88

Anyone been keeping an eye on Kasper Dolberg this season? He was linked before, and though I haven't watched him at all this season, in his brief cameo against Bayern this evening he had some lovely touches and also won a penalty.

Could be a really smart signing as a replacement for Sturridge next summer. He has really good vision, likes to play one-two's, great finishing with either foot, good holdup play, and as a 21 year old already has experience of a European final (Europa League last season) and will be playing CL knockouts in a few months.

In my eyes, the two standout options to replace Sturridge next summer would be Werner (12 months on his contract next summer) and Dolberg. Both would suit Klopp's system very well, albeit playing different styles. Dolberg likes to get more involved and come short to link play, kinda like Firmino although more of a striker than No.10, whereas Werner is more of a poacher and out-and-out striker in the Aguero mold.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
If the reasons for pulling out of the Fekir deal where medical, I don't think Aulas would hold that against Edwards. After all, he's a businessman, even though he might have been frustrated by the outcome. If Aulas can secure a good financial deal for Auoar I'm sure he'd be happy to do business with Edwards again.
Be careful of the little known condition of "common sense" it creeps up on you somewhat - then bang you're fucked. You start to think logically and often come over as someone to be respected.

Fortunately for me I have managed to avoid such "common sense" and follow the teachings of @Scott Jones - When in doubt spout shit !

@Scott Jones - that was a poor attempt of humour by me - apologies !

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Anyone been keeping an eye on Kasper Dolberg this season? He was linked before, and though I haven't watched him at all this season, in his brief cameo against Bayern this evening he had some lovely touches and also won a penalty.

Could be a really smart signing as a replacement for Sturridge next summer. He has really good vision, likes to play one-two's, great finishing with either foot, good holdup play, and as a 21 year old already has experience of a European final (Europa League last season) and will be playing CL knockouts in a few months.

In my eyes, the two standout options to replace Sturridge next summer would be Werner (12 months on his contract next summer) and Dolberg. Both would suit Klopp's system very well, albeit playing different styles. Dolberg likes to get more involved and come short to link play, kinda like Firmino although more of a striker than No.10, whereas Werner is more of a poacher and out-and-out striker in the Aguero mold.
I've been watching Ajax a lot since I really like a few of their players.

The biggest problem with Dolberg is that he misses so many easy goals that sometimes it's frustrating watching him. I don't think he is a clinical striker, his composure is worse than Firmino's. Huntelaar, for example, is a much more reliable number 9 even though he is very old already.

Ajax create chances for fun, especially with Ziyech and most of the time Dolberg wastes way too many opportunities to my taste. In PL it could be costly for us.

That being said, he has good technique and he knows how to positioned himself, he is good coming deep. Reminds me of a young Ibrahimovic in terms of play style (not level, obviously). It could be a decent buy, but I don't think he is cheap. He is the kind of player who would accept and be fine as a Salah backup, playing more rarely, something I doubt Werner would accept.

Richard88

The biggest problem with Dolberg is that he misses so many easy goals that sometimes it's frustrating watching him. I don't think he is a clinical striker, his composure is worse than Firmino's. Huntelaar, for example, is a much more reliable number 9 even though he is very old already.

Ajax create chances for fun, especially with Ziyech and most of the time Dolberg wastes way too many opportunities to my taste. In PL it could be costly for us.

That being said, he has good technique and he knows how to positioned himself, he is good coming deep. Reminds me of a young Ibrahimovic in terms of play style (not level, obviously). It could be a decent buy, but I don't think he is cheap. He is the kind of player who would accept and be fine as a Salah backup, playing more rarely, something I doubt Werner would accept.
Thanks for your thoughtful and reasoned response, much appreciated.

By the sounds of it, his wastefulness in front of goal would make him a perfect fit in the team next to Mané lol

Joking aside, do you think his missing chances has more to do with his relative inexperience? If the technique and intelligent positioning is there, you'd think the finishing would improve eventually with age... Right? Come to think of it, it could also be a blessing that he's not scoring for fun yet, as that would keep the price from exploding to extreme heights prior to next summer.

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member

Dolberg and Werner are decent but both would probably cost far more than they'd be worth to us. I'd prefer us to aim higher or at least seek better value, or give Brewster a chance.

Richard88

Dolberg and Werner are decent but both would probably cost far more than they'd be worth to us. I'd prefer us to aim higher or at least seek better value, or give Brewster a chance.
You're right that they may be expensive, but when you say that you'd prefer us to "aim higher" who exactly do you have in mind (that would be available and not prohibitively expensive)?

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Rumours surfacing that Ovie Ejaria's loan might be cut short...all because he's deleted his twitter account, and unfollowed Rangers on his Insta, and was also left out of their Europa League squad for today's fixture.

My fav bit of one of the reports (anfield edition - some bitpart click-bait site??) was; "his dramatic unfollowing of the official club account will only further rumours of an exit. "

I'm sorry, but last time I checked, there's only one way to unfollow something on Insta - and it's a one click job.

Hardly "dramatic" - fucking hell lollollol

StevieJayUSA

If we’re looking at Ajax, this Dutch boy would love to them load up the boat with €’s, and bring back De Ligt. Kid is already massive. He, Virgil, and Joe would be a brilliant 3 to rotate at CB. Then you’d have the world’s best defender as your number 4 choice!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
You're right that they may be expensive, but when you say that you'd prefer us to "aim higher" who exactly do you have in mind (that would be available and not prohibitively expensive)?
There are tons of players who are matching or bettering their numbers in Europe's top leagues, so pick from any of them. You've got the obvious, bigger names like Icardi but also players who've recently exploded onto the scene like Piatek, Jovic, Plea etc and other players who've been around for a while like Ben Yedder.

Who specifically? Not for me to say, I just think there must be much better value out there than Dolberg and Werner. If we were going to do the expensive gamble on potential thing I'd probably pick Belotti over those two, I think he'll turn into a complete centre forward and he'd suit this league down to the ground.

Richard88

If we’re looking at Ajax, this Dutch boy would love to them load up the boat with €’s, and bring back De Ligt. Kid is already massive. He, Virgil, and Joe would be a brilliant 3 to rotate at CB. Then you’d have the world’s best defender as your number 4 choice!
We already have 4 quality CB's, with Gomez and Van Dijk in particular forming an excellent partnership. Lovren-Van Dijk was also good enough to get to the CL final last season. Needless to say CB is probably the last position in the squad in need of huge investment at the moment.

vjcpatriot

I really love the idea of De Ligt sporting Liverpool red. We'd then have the best pair of Dutch defenders in the world. He would cost a pretty penny though as his stock has only been rising. Probably 50m quid+ is my guess?

Richard88

There are tons of players who are matching or bettering their numbers in Europe's top leagues, so pick from any of them. You've got the obvious, bigger names like Icardi but also players who've recently exploded onto the scene like Piatek, Jovic, Plea etc and other players who've been around for a while like Ben Yedder.

Who specifically? Not for me to say, I just think there must be much better value out there than Dolberg and Werner. If we were going to do the expensive gamble on potential thing I'd probably pick Belotti over those two, I think he'll turn into a complete centre forward and he'd suit this league down to the ground.
I guess it's a matter of opinion, but personally I just don't think Icardi will be available (and very expensive too), and none of those other players you mentioned are any better than Werner (or even at the same level). As for Dolberg I think he has a much higher ceiling in terms of potential than Piatek, Jovic, etc.

Keep in mind also that Werner will only have 12 months remaining on his contract next summer which could prove to be crucial in lowering his price. Dolberg would also be coming from Ajax rather than one of the big 5 leagues, which would probably keep his fee reasonable.

Regarding Belotti, whilst he's undoubtedly a good striker, he's more of an out-and-out CF than someone who gets involved in the buildup play to make space for others (like Firmino does for Mané and Salah), so I don't see how he fits Klopp's system at all.

Going back to your earlier point, it would be great to see Brewster given a chance to stake his claim before the summer. I also wonder if Solanke has any chance of working his way back into the squad; his underlying numbers (xG for example) last season were actually pretty good even though he didn't score so much. Either way, it's a big 6 months for both Brewster and Solanke coming up if they want to stake a claim to replace Sturridge when he inevitably leaves when his contract expires in June.

Richard88

I really love the idea of De Ligt sporting Liverpool red. We'd then have the best pair of Dutch defenders in the world. He would cost a pretty penny though as his stock has only been rising. Probably 50m quid+ is my guess?
If De Ligt has any sense he'll move to a club where he can be first-choice CB... which would rule us out, and probably City too given that neither club really needs a CB having recently signed Van Dijk and Laporte respectively.

Jah_Pool

I've said this before, We should put a cheeky bid on Arnautovic. He'd give you atl east 10 goals a season, has great pace and touch and would slot in interchangeably with Firmino. The good/bad thing about him it is, he wont play every game, more like every 3/4 games allowing for rest for Firmino and and the many injuries of Arnautovic. I would offer 20 mill or Origi to West Ham and get Marko in at Anfield.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
I guess it's a matter of opinion, but personally I just don't think Icardi will be available (and very expensive too), and none of those other players you mentioned are any better than Werner (or even at the same level). As for Dolberg I think he has a much higher ceiling in terms of potential than Piatek, Jovic, etc.

Keep in mind also that Werner will only have 12 months remaining on his contract next summer which could prove to be crucial in lowering his price. Dolberg would also be coming from Ajax rather than one of the big 5 leagues, which would probably keep his fee reasonable.

Regarding Belotti, whilst he's undoubtedly a good striker, he's more of an out-and-out CF than someone who gets involved in the buildup play to make space for others (like Firmino does for Mané and Salah), so I don't see how he fits Klopp's system at all.

Going back to your earlier point, it would be great to see Brewster given a chance to stake his claim before the summer. I also wonder if Solanke has any chance of working his way back into the squad; his underlying numbers (xG for example) last season were actually pretty good even though he didn't score so much. Either way, it's a big 6 months for both Brewster and Solanke coming up if they want to stake a claim to replace Sturridge when he inevitably leaves when his contract expires in June.
They were just names out I was throwing out lazily, I did say it's not for me to say specifically. Those players are have records similar or better to Werner in recent years.

If Werner can be bought on the cheap he's worth consideration. My main point was that he's not good enough to break the bank for and that I'd stick by. The fact that he's had to be substituted before due to a noisy stadium isn't ideal either. I'm also unsure how you'd criticise Belotti for not doing enough in the buildup but then go so hard in for Werner, I don't think Werner does any of the stuff Firmino does either but Belotti is a decent target man.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I've said this before, We should put a cheeky bid on Arnautovic. He'd give you atl east 10 goals a season, has great pace and touch and would slot in interchangeably with Firmino. The good/bad thing about him it is, he wont play every game, more like every 3/4 games allowing for rest for Firmino and and the many injuries of Arnautovic. I would offer 20 mill or Origi to West Ham and get Marko in at Anfield.
I like the player but no way would they accept 20m for him.

Sweeting

Belotti was excellent for Torino in the pre-season game at Anfield - looked a real talent.

Jah_Pool

I like the player but no way would they accept 20m for him.
He's going to be 30 next year. His value is between 20-25 million. West Ham would be lucky to get that much for him because of his injury history and him being on the wrong side of 30 very soon.