• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

MW2833

If De Ligt has any sense he'll move to a club where he can be first-choice CB... which would rule us out, and probably City too given that neither club really needs a CB having recently signed Van Dijk and Laporte respectively.
Lets resign King Klavan

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Belotti was excellent for Torino in the pre-season game at Anfield - looked a real talent.
He was excellent. Held the ball up well, ran the channels, good movement in behind, scored a goal, worked hard defensively. Think he'd fit in here like a glove whilst also offering a slightly different option.

C

Caradoc

He was excellent. Held the ball up well, ran the channels, good movement in behind, scored a goal, worked hard defensively. Think he'd fit in here like a glove whilst also offering a slightly different option.

But, but, but, but ............ he’s Italian ......... !

;-)

Richard88

I've said this before, We should put a cheeky bid on Arnautovic. He'd give you atl east 10 goals a season, has great pace and touch and would slot in interchangeably with Firmino. The good/bad thing about him it is, he wont play every game, more like every 3/4 games allowing for rest for Firmino and and the many injuries of Arnautovic. I would offer 20 mill or Origi to West Ham and get Marko in at Anfield.
Arnautovic is nowhere near the type of player who'd be happy to warm the bench due to his massive ego; nor is he blessed with workrate off the ball. I know the same was said about Shaqiri who has seemingly done enough to prove doubters wrong (albeit in a sheltered role, not starting the toughest games), but Arnautovic is on another level of selfishness. He's the prototype of a MOTD highlight reel player. He's also already 29 so is only going to get worse going forwards. No thanks.

Richard88

They were just names out I was throwing out lazily, I did say it's not for me to say specifically. Those players are have records similar or better to Werner in recent years.

If Werner can be bought on the cheap he's worth consideration. My main point was that he's not good enough to break the bank for and that I'd stick by. The fact that he's had to be substituted before due to a noisy stadium isn't ideal either. I'm also unsure how you'd criticise Belotti for not doing enough in the buildup but then go so hard in for Werner, I don't think Werner does any of the stuff Firmino does either but Belotti is a decent target man.
Strikers often score in batches to become the new guy everyone talks about, only to fall back down to earth when they recede to their normal level (eg. Piatek's start with Genoa, or Jovic's 5 goal game). With that in mind, those players you mentioned haven't scored goals consistently enough for a long enough period to say that they're the real deal. Conversely, Werner has continued scoring at an excellent rate since his breakout season in 2016/17, and is thus also Germany's main striker. Big difference.

As for the noise, I don't think the noise issue is something to get worried about. Even if he does have a minor issue he isn't going to be playing against Besiktas away very often.

The reason I'd be more for Werner is because he's excelled in sides that have played pressing football off the ball, and quick passing and counterattacking with it. He might not be as tenacious as Firmino off the ball (no one is), but he has a proven track-record in pressing sides.

Conversely, as you said Belotti is more of a target man who needs to be supplied with the ball in totally different style to what we play to be successful.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Conversely, as you said Belotti is more of a target man who needs to be supplied with the ball in totally different style to what we play to be successful.
No he doesn't, all I meant by that is he can hold the ball up well.

He runs in behind and works hard off the ball too - perfectly suitable for the way we play.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Anyone been keeping an eye on Kasper Dolberg this season? He was linked before, and though I haven't watched him at all this season, in his brief cameo against Bayern this evening he had some lovely touches and also won a penalty.

Could be a really smart signing as a replacement for Sturridge next summer. He has really good vision, likes to play one-two's, great finishing with either foot, good holdup play, and as a 21 year old already has experience of a European final (Europa League last season) and will be playing CL knockouts in a few months.

In my eyes, the two standout options to replace Sturridge next summer would be Werner (12 months on his contract next summer) and Dolberg. Both would suit Klopp's system very well, albeit playing different styles. Dolberg likes to get more involved and come short to link play, kinda like Firmino although more of a striker than No.10, whereas Werner is more of a poacher and out-and-out striker in the Aguero mold.
Did not play much for the last year and a half due to injuries. He is a young player who must play every week to get better so don't think it is a good replacement for Sturridge.

RobLFC

Rumours surfacing that Ovie Ejaria's loan might be cut short...all because he's deleted his twitter account, and unfollowed Rangers on his Insta, and was also left out of their Europa League squad for today's fixture.

My fav bit of one of the reports (anfield edition - some bitpart click-bait site??) was; "his dramatic unfollowing of the official club account will only further rumours of an exit. "

I'm sorry, but last time I checked, there's only one way to unfollow something on Insta - and it's a one click job.

Hardly "dramatic" - fucking hell lollollol
Maybe if you flounce your arms or flick your head back with a maniacal laugh while clicking the button ...

Richard88

No he doesn't, all I meant by that is he can hold the ball up well.

He runs in behind and works hard off the ball too - perfectly suitable for the way we play.
In our system Salah is actually the striker and Firmino comes short to play a kind of false 9/No.10. This can be seen in position maps of games, where Salah's average position is always the furthest up the pitch. With that in mind, a target man who would be the furthest up the pitch would require a complete change in the way the team is set up.

This team also looks for quick interplay through the middle more often than not, instead of hopeful balls down the channels or crosses from wide very often. You're right that Belotti is good at hold up play and running channels, but again, that isn't the way this team is setup to play.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
In our system Salah is actually the striker and Firmino comes short to play a kind of false 9/No.10. This can be seen in position maps of games, where Salah's average position is always the furthest up the pitch. With that in mind, a target man who would be the furthest up the pitch would require a complete change in the way the team is set up.

This team also looks for quick interplay through the middle more often than not, instead of hopeful balls down the channels or crosses from wide very often. That said, you're right that Belotti is good at hold up play and running channels, but again, that isn't the way this team is setup to play.
Disagree, that's exactly how we're set up to play.

This team puts plenty of balls in the channel for Salah to chase and we've had a heavy focus on wide play and set pieces this season too. Most top sides have a variety of ways they score goals and create chances, this is something we've added this season. Look at how many assists Robertson has for example.

C

Caradoc

I’m really not sure we can play the wide game with the players we have but particularly with how we currently have them set up. To do it properly and effectively we need out and out wingers who can beat defenders with pace, get behind and whip in a dangerous cross with their strongest foot. That’s not what we’ve got. We’ve got modern-style wide men who stop well short of the byline cut back and inside to cross or pass to a supporting player to cross. That slows things up and makes things more predictable. Just my view but there you go ...... perhaps I’m a bit old-fashioned!

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Robertson is an out and out winger,TAA as well,personally think we need buy similar to what we have rather than a outright winger.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
I’m really not sure we can play the wide game with the players we have but particularly with how we currently have them set up. To do it properly and effectively we need out and out wingers who can beat defenders with pace, get behind and whip in a dangerous cross with their strongest foot. That’s not what we’ve got. We’ve got modern-style wide men who stop well short of the byline cut back and inside to cross or pass to a supporting player to cross. That slows things up and makes things more predictable. Just my view but there you go ...... perhaps I’m a bit old-fashioned!
It's not en vogue to have players on the side that correlates with their strongest foot any more but Mane, Sane and Sterling have all shown it still works.

Probably bollocks but an ITK on another site has said we are looking at Diego Laxalt.
Looks as if he's not good enough to start for Milan every week, what would we want with him?

He also has dreadful (pun intended) hair and wears an earring in both ears. Nope nope nope.

Jah_Pool

Arnautovic is nowhere near the type of player who'd be happy to warm the bench due to his massive ego; nor is he blessed with workrate off the ball. I know the same was said about Shaqiri who has seemingly done enough to prove doubters wrong (albeit in a sheltered role, not starting the toughest games), but Arnautovic is on another level of selfishness. He's the prototype of a MOTD highlight reel player. He's also already 29 so is only going to get worse going forwards. No thanks.
Have you seen him play for West Ham. He works his socks off. He's West Ham's Firmino in my opinion. He would have no choice in the number of games he plays, as his injury record won't allow him to play every game and that is okay as we have Firmino and the young kid(Brewster) coming through. I know he's 29, in his prime, so this might be his last chance to play in the CL. This could be an easy sell to the player if we know what we're doing.

Last edited:

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I don't think in our current system of play, we have a need for out and out strikers. We need another Salah or Firmino or Mane. One who has decent pace or guile or footwork, willing to work hard, has the intelligence to play across the front 3, and can score or make goals. Suarez, Mbappe are examples of that. I do think we have space for one more of such players. Maybe Wilson can play that if he continues scoring and excelling for Derby

Witt

What about Rabiot? TIA article says he's not signing an extension at PSG and wants out as his contract is about to expire. Lallana out Rabiot in?
No thanks.

Decent player but not better than what we have right now. On top of that, he's a mommy's boy and really not the kind of character that Klopp loves.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
However, in the BBC Gossip page ...
Paris St-Germain will not let reported Liverpool target Adrien Rabiot leave on a free at the end of the season after the 23-year-old France midfielder refused to extend his deal - so will look to sell him in January. (L'Equipe - in French)

C

Caradoc

However, in the BBC Gossip page ...
Paris St-Germain will not let reported Liverpool target Adrien Rabiot leave on a free at the end of the season after the 23-year-old France midfielder refused to extend his deal - so will look to sell him in January. (L'Equipe - in French)

For £1 million and 50p .......

gasband

Ad-free Member
Maybe another 13mil pound stroke of genius?

gasband

Ad-free Member
What about Rabiot? TIA article says he's not signing an extension at PSG and wants out as his contract is about to expire. Lallana out Rabiot in?
As replacement yes, in addition to, no. He is a very good player, not sure whether he will sulk if not played regularly here but could be another 13mil pound stroke of genius in January.