• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

big noyd

a left-sided gomez is exactly what we need to shore up our depth in the backline, IMO

suggested malang sarr before, but he's further along and would likely be looking for more first-team football

big noyd

Sarr is a CB isn't he?
yeah. left-footed, quick and good enough on the ball to play at LB on occasion. kelly looks like the inverse--primarily a left back but can play center back in a pinch

for me, robertson is too important to legitimately rotate, and a like-for-like alternative of the requisite quality would probably want more game time

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
C

Caradoc

This lad Kelly seems to have just the right combination of ability, potential, versatility and good attitude to be a typical Klopp signing. They’re trying to build him up physically which with his height means he will be a very useful option at CB. With Brexit, we’re going to need to increase the number/proportion of British players in our squad.

Having seen Swansea first hand Saturday they’re not that impressive. They look a bit toothless up front and are short arses at the back.

The only downside is he’s from Brizzle! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Red over the water

Do we know the implications of Brexit, on the football? Genuine question, as I hadn’t heard about what will change. Cheers in advance if there’s any info out there.

Red over the water

Thanks, I thought as much.

Still, presumably there might be some value in acting with one eye on reasonable permutations for what might happen, and if that means looking at some talented home grown kids it makes sense.

Limiescouse

Thanks, I thought as much.

Still, presumably there might be some value in acting with one eye on reasonable permutations for what might happen, and if that means looking at some talented home grown kids it makes sense.
I dont know really. I dont know how you can plan for something you dont know the implications of. What we can say is that we are one of the better positioned CL level teams in the league in terms of the current HG quotas, although that might be less so after the summer looking at the possible outgoings.

But more than that, it would still surely be a decision of the british government. I dont see that having even a hard Brexit would require the British government to force teams to immediately restrict non-UK players.

Richard88

Imagine facing the Burnley's, West Brom's, and Man United's with a backline of: Gomez - Lovren - Van Dijk - Kelly... respective heights of 1.88, 1.88, 1.93, 1.91 (i.e. all between 6'2-6'4). Nobodies winning an aerial duel in our box against that!

C

Caradoc

Chatter in the Twattersphere that Coutinho wants out of Barca and Barca are happy to let him go. Apparently he’s open to a return to Anfield.

Firstly .......... um .......... what utter bollox ........ !

Secondly, I don’t ever want to see the little rat appear in Liverpool colours again ........ not even for a Testimonial match, a Legends match or a charity match.

Thirdly, does he really want to spend his time here sat in the stands watching?

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
A 2 year loan deal for coutinho wouldn't be a bad option. He'd have learnt his lesson that the grass isn't greener on the other side and he'll come back and offer us something new on the corners and freekicks.

That said , don't think we have the budget to buy him.

Richard88

A 2 year loan deal for coutinho wouldn't be a bad option. He'd have learnt his lesson that the grass isn't greener on the other side and he'll come back and offer us something new on the corners and freekicks.

That said , don't think we have the budget to buy him.
Coutinho is a very good player, but not one I'd imagine Klopp would have targeted to sign had he not already been at the club when he arrived in 2015. Fact is that he was never a natural fit in Klopp's system, particularly off the ball / defensively, and thereby left the team unbalanced, especially when played in midfield.

C

Caradoc

Klopp was very diplomatic about Coutinho leaving but he will be fully aware of any stunts and deliberate misrepresentations (i.e. blatant lies) the little rat came out with to force the move including conversations with his Liverpool teammates. I can’t see Klopp bringing him back in any capacity.

This is a non-story anyway but either way there’s no way back.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I wouldn't want Coutinho back but I've seen a number of posters saying lets get Suarez but his behaviour when he wanted to leave wasn't much better.
Suarez was under Rodgers aka uncertain future, Coutinho was under Klopp aka positive future, a new day.

I think fans understood that Suarez was just too good for the club at that time and we all accepted that and just appreciated any minute with him, kinda like with Xabi. compare to Coutinho who wanted to leave when we actually had a great optimistic future to look forward to, kind of like Owen really.

I'm sure I could forgive Little Phil over time if it happened but right now I wouldn't want him back for the sole reason he don't deserve to come back and take part of all the great things happening atm.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Maybe covered in a different thread but I was on a Palace site last night reading about Zaha's 44£ offer from a Chinese club and saw an article Solanke has already completed his medical at Palace in advance of his loan. Again, my apologies if covered. I am a bit foggy today.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Suarez was under Rodgers aka uncertain future, Coutinho was under Klopp aka positive future, a new day.

I think fans understood that Suarez was just too good for the club at that time and we all accepted that and just appreciated any minute with him, kinda like with Xabi. compare to Coutinho who wanted to leave when we actually had a great optimistic future to look forward to, kind of like Owen really.

I'm sure I could forgive Little Phil over time if it happened but right now I wouldn't want him back for the sole reason he don't deserve to come back and take part of all the great things happening atm.
Signing Suarez in January almost (almost) guarantees us the league. Who else would and will do better?

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team

I don't have too many complaints really. We got a heck of a lot of money for Coutinho and we have improved (possibly partially funded by his fee) so no bitterness at all.

I can't say I don't want him back but the price has got to be £50m or less (sorry Barcelona, but no refunds). Any more, and I would rather bet that Klopp could take a lesser player and make him better.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Coutinho would be a fantastic option to give Mane a rest every now and then.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I don't have too many complaints really. We got a heck of a lot of money for Coutinho and we have improved (possibly partially funded by his fee) so no bitterness at all.

I can't say I don't want him back but the price has got to be £50m or less (sorry Barcelona, but no refunds). Any more, and I would rather bet that Klopp could take a lesser player and make him better.
Same arguement can be said for Sterling, wouldn't want him back either.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Same arguement can be said for Sterling, wouldn't want him back either.
Haha... and I would have a similar response. If they want to sell him back to us for cheap (£30m or less) I'll take it.

In Sterling's case, we would also be weakening a direct rival.

That isn't going to happen though. But I'll agree that if we are paying market value... probably none of us would be interested in having them back.