• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Red over the water

Coutinho was a smashing player for us. We more than got our money’s worth for a good few years, then he chose to leave. His star had risen to such a level that Barcelona came knocking with a bundle of cash. The way he left wasn’t very good. He was a big baby, crying in Brazil like he was imprisoned, downing tools and so on, and there was a PR battle, but it’s all water off a duck’s back now, and I can’t bear a grudge as it can be an ugly business.

Since then we’ve reinvested the money and become a better team. Obviously a player with the quality of Coutinho would improve any squad in the world, but would he improve our team enough, for the money? The answer for me is nope!

Even if there were legs in this rumour - and surely not, I wouldn’t really be interested. While he’s not exactly the same sort of player, there is loads more to come from Keita, and I want to see that unfold. And when we do go into the market I want it to be for a new player, as it has been exciting to see the recruitment side of things in the last year or two as well.

Good luck to Coutinho, but if you leave this team that Klopp is building, of your own accord, it carries the risk of regret. Michael Owen knows a bit about regret after leaving Liverpool. He left in the summer of 2004 for bigger and better, sat on Real Madrid’s bench for a year and then watched us win the Champions League in Istanbul. His career petered out after that, and neither Newcastle, Man Utd or England saw the half of the player we enjoyed at Anfield.

It’s fair to say that we haven’t always been this good, and some players have moved on after giving good service because we weren’t quite getting there. But not any more. The reds are marching up the hill and 2019 is going to be a great year.

Last edited:

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Why are we discussing on sterling, coutinho back!??
Both are snakes, how do people forget that coutinho faked injury in our Hoffenheim game and then again in December.
For me both are dead not because they left us,but for the lack of respect for this club.

The Eternal Optimist

TIA Youth Team
The problem with a Cotinho return is the fee we were due to receive would probably be halved. A lot of the fee was allegedly incentivised so if he fails ar Barca LFC get less.

Cooperman04

Same arguement can be said for Sterling, wouldn't want him back either.
I think we should not rule out a Coutinho return, we need lots of quality players in case of injuries etc, but let’s hope we see the Ox soon, that’s like a new signing.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Signing Suarez in January almost (almost) guarantees us the league. Who else would and will do better?
Suarez is on an incredibly steep downward curve. He has, bless him, played like a maniac for ten years and barely had a sickie. That’s catching up on him, and reports suggest his knees are fucked.

As a free signing to get us over the line, brilliant. Any kind of big fee should be avoided.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Suarez is on an incredibly steep downward curve. He has, bless him, played like a maniac for ten years and barely had a sickie. That’s catching up on him, and reports suggest his knees are fucked.

As a free signing to get us over the line, brilliant. Any kind of big fee should be avoided.

IF we did sign him, the simplest way to extract the best from him would be simply to show him your post.

.....red rag to a bull......

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
the romantic side of me love to sign Suarez, just so he can give us that push towards the title,
and to give him the league winners medal he almost dragged us to in 2013/14.

But I really doubt it would happen, given the cost, his age and the condition of his body,
which must have taken a beating over the years, given the way he played.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
the romantic side of me love to sign Suarez, just so he can give us that push towards the title,
and to give him the league winners medal he almost dragged us to in 2013/14.

But I really doubt it would happen, given the cost, his age and the condition of his body,
which must have taken a beating over the years, given the way he played.
The romantic in me would take Suarez in a heartbeat. I think could do it for us.

Magnus

Suarez would be a backward step for this squad, so would Coutinho, in fact even moreso in his case.

I suspect Klopp is looking elsewhere and quite right too.
They are too expensive and we have really good players in their positions. The sale of Coutinho, although heralded as a disaster at the time, turned out to be the best thing that has happened to Liverpool since signing Klopp (in my humble opinion), since it released funds to buy very expensive players in positions we actually really needed to reinforce.
This financial chart, stolen from a reply to Gary Lineker's twitter account, shows that perfectly I think :
But of course, Suarez is a gem and Coutinho as well. But they ARE too expensive for their respective positions on the pitch (meaning we have really good cover there).

C

Caradoc

They are too expensive and we have really good players in their positions. The sale of Coutinho, although heralded as a disaster at the time, turned out to be the best thing that has happened to Liverpool since signing Klopp (in my humble opinion), since it released funds to buy very expensive players in positions we actually really needed to reinforce.
This financial chart, stolen from a reply to Gary Lineker's twitter account, shows that perfectly I think :
But of course, Suarez is a gem and Coutinho as well. But they ARE too expensive for their respective positions on the pitch (meaning we have really good cover there).

Sorry, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

Btw the very mention of anything that comes from Linekar causes my suspicion radar to activate straight away.

Magnus

Sorry, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?
My apologies. I was agreeing. Just explaining in maybe too much detail, why i was agreeing.

Edit: sorry if reading Lineker's tweets at times raise your ire. I probably read the tweets of other people you hate as well ;) Then again, I definitely read a lot of tweets from people you love, so there is that...

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Those figures are a bit out of date, but the point is sound.

Working from lfchistory.net Liverpool’s spend under Klopp has been about £100m. He has spent about £408m and recouped about £306m.

A lot of football, a fair few of them on that twitter thread, will insist net spend doesn’t matter. It does, because using the value in your squad to subsequently improve your squad (in layman’s terms, selling Coutinho and using the cash to buy Van Dijk, Alisson and Shaqiri) is the very essence of good management.

Liverpool are not ‘buying the title’. And neither would Spurs be if they decided to sell Kane, and buy three world class players with the money (which, by the way, would not be the worst idea in the world for Spurs right now, with that stadium debt likely to hamper them for a while). They are squad building, and while the sums of money might be very modern, the methodology is decidedly old school. It’s a matter of raising the value of the players through improving their performance, selling them on and then having the confidence in their recruiting at training to improve the squad further.

Liverpool aren’t paupers, but to suggest that they, having spent on average about £30m a summer under Klopp (which mostly seems to have come from what the club earns, in commercial activity and prize money), are remotely comparable to the cash injections which propelled City, Chelsea before them, and even Blackburn Rovers before them, to titles is simply absurd.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I'd gladly take Suárez or Coutinho back. You can never have enough quality on a squad that's trying to compete on so many different fronts. Being able to rotate those guys into our current squad would be absolutely thrilling. Imagine being an opponent that has to contend with that kind of depth.

I don't see it happening with either, though.

Magnus

I think they would rock in this team too (didn't mean to suggest otherwise), but yes, too expensive. I think one of Klopp's best traits is that he is able to improve good players into excellent ones, so I trust him to find some less expensive ones to turn into gems.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Sterling would be a beast under Klopp. Perfect type of winger for our tactics.
Seriously after the way he completely disrespected the club and the fans over wanting out and you'd have not problems with him at all
I'm sorry but no way would I want that little shitbag near the club ever again . there are loada of other players out there .

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
So, this Lloyd Kelly kid, anybody seen him play? Left sided Gomez or young Nathan Ake (hey there, @ILLOK ;) )? Theoretically speaking, if he signed today, would he be able to provide cover for centre backs until Gomez and Matip are fit or is he indeed a fullback, although a bloody tall one?

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Those figures are a bit out of date, but the point is sound.

Working from lfchistory.net Liverpool’s spend under Klopp has been about £100m. He has spent about £408m and recouped about £306m.

A lot of football, a fair few of them on that twitter thread, will insist net spend doesn’t matter. It does, because using the value in your squad to subsequently improve your squad (in layman’s terms, selling Coutinho and using the cash to buy Van Dijk, Alisson and Shaqiri) is the very essence of good management.

Liverpool are not ‘buying the title’. And neither would Spurs be if they decided to sell Kane, and buy three world class players with the money (which, by the way, would not be the worst idea in the world for Spurs right now, with that stadium debt likely to hamper them for a while). They are squad building, and while the sums of money might be very modern, the methodology is decidedly old school. It’s a matter of raising the value of the players through improving their performance, selling them on and then having the confidence in their recruiting at training to improve the squad further.

Liverpool aren’t paupers, but to suggest that they, having spent on average about £30m a summer under Klopp (which mostly seems to have come from what the club earns, in commercial activity and prize money), are remotely comparable to the cash injections which propelled City, Chelsea before them, and even Blackburn Rovers before them, to titles is simply absurd.
If we took Son off Spurs, probably at a cost of £50-60mil it would be the a tidy bit of business for us. Weakens an opponent and would be that key cover for for the front 3

C

Caradoc

So, this Lloyd Kelly kid, anybody seen him play? Left sided Gomez or young Nathan Ake (hey there, @ILLOK ;-) )? Theoretically speaking, if he signed today, would he be able to provide cover for centre backs until Gomez and Matip are fit or is he indeed a fullback, although a bloody tall one?

Apparently he’s one of the very best young players emerging in the Championship.

I guess we need to bear in mind that Gomez played 20 or so games for Charlton in the Championship when he was just 17. We then snapped him up. Kelly has played around 29 games for Bristol City in the Championship but 2017/18 was his breakthrough season and he is already 20. I think what I’m getting at is Gomez is an exceptional talent, who played for Charlton U18s when he was only 13.

Kelly is certainly a talent who has had a rapid rise even if he hasn’t been on the radar for anything like as long as Gomez was but as I said Gomez was and is an exceptional talent. Bristol are trying to build him up physically so that process is already in place. His current first-team manager sees him as a centre back long-term but for now he plays predominantly at left back.

Could he step directly into the first team to rest Robbo? I would say probably not but we won’t really know until Klopp and his coaching and preparation teams get hold of him. I think he would spend most of his time training in and around the first-team squad to get him up to first-team level quickly. Its worked with Gomez and TAA and young Hoever is already being exposed to first team training.

Put it this way, if we do sign him, with Moreno’s departure now pretty much certain, it would indicate to me that Klopp thinks the lad is good enough to reach the required level quickly enough for his purposes otherwise he’d go for someone with more experience.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Seriously after the way he completely disrespected the club and the fans over wanting out and you'd have not problems with him at all
I'm sorry but no way would I want that little shitbag near the club ever again . there are loada of other players out there .
Didn't say anything like or about anything like that. Just pointed out that Klopp would create a monster with a player of the qualities of Sterling.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If we're playing footie manager, I'd rather we signed Sane. More realistic, probably cheaper, no history, better fit, not yet peaked.
True I was only commenting on the fact that Sterling would actually be an amazing fit with Klopps tactics as people were discussing him and other ex players.