• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Sorry not going to welcome a player,who was adored by the club and fans but whose dream is to play for Barcelona. He got his dream move, we are going to fulfill ours with players who consider it their honour to play for this club.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I thought you were joking. She’s reportedly asking for a massive signing on fee and ridiculously high salary. Au revoir Adrien ..... ! :wave:

lol
Like every free signing ever then? How dare she want for her son what ruthless agents get for their clients every year! I'd personally prefer players represented by their family members as there is more chance they're best interests are being looked after than unscrupulous agents who may be in the ear of a Happy, settled, player about moving on to a new club because the agent gets a big cut when they do.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Like every free signing ever then? How dare she want for her son what ruthless agents get for their clients every year! I'd personally prefer players represented by their family members as there is more chance they're best interests are being looked after than unscrupulous agents who may be in the ear of a Happy, settled, player about moving on to a new club because the agent gets a big cut when they do.
Same goes for family members - remember Anelka, represented by his brother? It all comes down to how easy it is to manipulate the player and his representative. It would be worse if it was a mother, if her child isn't picked every week, and another club gets into her head about her son's future being fucked. You know how mothers are like.... I know my mother would go berserk and demand for a move if she felt that my future is at stake.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Same goes for family members - remember Anelka, represented by his brother? It all comes down to how easy it is to manipulate the player and his representative. It would be worse if it was a mother, if her child isn't picked every week, and another club gets into her head about her son's future being fucked. You know how mothers are like.... I know my mother would go berserk and demand for a move if she felt that my future is at stake.
Still I'd prefer a family member who would likely be trying to do what's best for the player (even if sometimes wrong) than the likes of Kia Joorabchian who would sell a Barcelona starter to sit on the bench at Aston Villa if he could to further his own business interests.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Didn't say anything like or about anything like that. Just pointed out that Klopp would create a monster with a player of the qualities of Sterling.
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Sterling would be a beast under Klopp. Perfect type of winger for our tactics.
You have to admit that does make it sound you'd have no problem with sterling and you'd gladly welcome him back

C

Caradoc

Not me. I just don’t see Klopp and Edwards going for it. That was my point! He won’t come to Liverpool IMO anyway. Just a hunch.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
You have to admit that does make it sound you'd have no problem with sterling and you'd gladly welcome him back
Stand by what I said. Sterling would be monstrous under Klopp. He'd probably be close to Salah style good. He is the perfect type of player for Klopps winger choice. The issues with Sterling aren't on the pitch. They are his history with us, his agent and the possibility of what his attitude may be like (but I'm one that believes that's all a crock of shit, people that no him think he's a model pro, people in the media like to paint him as a pantomime villain).

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Still I'd prefer a family member who would likely be trying to do what's best for the player (even if sometimes wrong) than the likes of Kia Joorabchian who would sell a Barcelona starter to sit on the bench at Aston Villa if he could to further his own business interests.
You assume he didn’t get a deal that would enrich his client. Players always have the last say in clubs they want to join and amount of wages they are willing to take. It still leaves me scratching my head that everyone here thinks the agents dictate everything. Coutinho wanted to move, he sees a better prospect in winning trophies with Barcelona. Whether it’s Kia or his nanny, it’s still his wish to join, makes no difference.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Its not the end of the world. In the immortal words of fictional character Battery Sergeant Major Williams:

We move on. Trust Henry, Edwards and Klopp to do the right thing!
Chelsea are such a weird club.. Pulisic yes is a good talent but they have Callum Hudson-Odoi who is possibly just as talented. Would never happen but I'd take Odoi here in a heartbeat.

C

Caradoc

Chelsea are such a weird club.. Pulisic yes is a good talent but they have Callum Hudson-Odoi who is possibly just as talented. Would never happen but I'd take Odoi here in a heartbeat.

It will be interesting to see whether Chelsea are still the graveyard of ambition for young players.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
You assume he didn’t get a deal that would enrich his client. Players always have the last say in clubs they want to join and amount of wages they are willing to take. It still leaves me scratching my head that everyone here thinks the agents dictate everything. Coutinho wanted to move, he sees a better prospect in winning trophies with Barcelona. Whether it’s Kia or his nanny, it’s still his wish to join, makes no difference.
I think you are underestimating the role an agent can play in Grima Wormtongue-ing a player into thinking he wants a move

C

Caradoc

I think you are underestimating the role an agent can play in Grima Wormtongue-ing a player into thinking he wants a move

I think you’re both right. I think it depends on the player-agent relationship.

NoRushtoscore

And Loftus Cheek will get even less playing time. A player I’ve said for years I’d love at Liverpool.

Richard88

Apparently he’s one of the very best young players emerging in the Championship.

I guess we need to bear in mind that Gomez played 20 or so games for Charlton in the Championship when he was just 17. We then snapped him up. Kelly has played around 29 games for Bristol City in the Championship but 2017/18 was his breakthrough season and he is already 20. I think what I’m getting at is Gomez is an exceptional talent, who played for Charlton U18s when he was only 13.

Kelly is certainly a talent who has had a rapid rise even if he hasn’t been on the radar for anything like as long as Gomez was but as I said Gomez was and is an exceptional talent. Bristol are trying to build him up physically so that process is already in place. His current first-team manager sees him as a centre back long-term but for now he plays predominantly at left back.

Could he step directly into the first team to rest Robbo? I would say probably not but we won’t really know until Klopp and his coaching and preparation teams get hold of him. I think he would spend most of his time training in and around the first-team squad to get him up to first-team level quickly. Its worked with Gomez and TAA and young Hoever is already being exposed to first team training.

Put it this way, if we do sign him, with Moreno’s departure now pretty much certain, it would indicate to me that Klopp thinks the lad is good enough to reach the required level quickly enough for his purposes otherwise he’d go for someone with more experience.
Another thing to factor in with regards to Kelly, is that Milner and/or Clyne can both deputise at LB as Robertson's backup if Klopp decides that Kelly needs more time to adapt and learn his system. Thus, signing him with Moreno leaving doesn't necessarily mean that he'd be the automatic choice anytime Robertson needed a rest (though he very well could be if he develops quickly).

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
As @Mascot88 says it's not about the agent dictating to the player. It's manipulation and influence. Advice from a trusted source. That "trusted" source has a conflict of interests though. The agent gets paid when a player renews his contract and paid even more when the player moves clubs. So straightaway the agent has a motivation to move a player on to a new club on a high deal. Regardless of the players happiness, playing legacy, chances of trophies or writing themselves into a clubs history. Yeah sure in terms of getting money into the players bank account you can definitely argue the agent has done the right thing for his client. Despite the added cost to the player (financial and emotional) of uprooting himself and any family and getting set up in new homes. Then you add in other motivations. Some of these agents have multiple commodities and even links with clubs. Look what's going on at Wolves with the likes of Neves who, from a financial or sporting perspective, could have moved to a better prospect than a club in the Championship. But you can only decide on the options in front of you. If the person putting those options in front of you has a vested interest in what decision you make they're going to want you to choose the option that's best for them. At least a little bit. But if it's a family member there's slightly more chance they will have the emotional needs of the player and any family involved as one of their motivators.

C

Caradoc

As @Mascot88 says it's not about the agent dictating to the player. It's manipulation and influence. Advice from a trusted source. That "trusted" source has a conflict of interests though. The agent gets paid when a player renews his contract and paid even more when the player moves clubs. So straightaway the agent has a motivation to move a player on to a new club on a high deal. Regardless of the players happiness, playing legacy, chances of trophies or writing themselves into a clubs history. Yeah sure in terms of getting money into the players bank account you can definitely argue the agent has done the right thing for his client. Despite the added cost to the player (financial and emotional) of uprooting himself and any family and getting set up in new homes. Then you add in other motivations. Some of these agents have multiple commodities and even links with clubs. Look what's going on at Wolves with the likes of Neves who, from a financial or sporting perspective, could have moved to a better prospect than a club in the Championship. But you can only decide on the options in front of you. If the person putting those options in front of you has a vested interest in what decision you make they're going to want you to choose the option that's best for them. At least a little bit. But if it's a family member there's slightly more chance they will have the emotional needs of the player and any family involved as one of their motivators.

So what you’re really saying is if we don’t offer Rabiot a €30 million* signing on fee and £300000* a week he’s liable to have a full blown nervous breakdown! ;-)

:tongue:

(* Edit: I made these figures up)

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Coutinho wanted the move and it’s clear to see, the way he go about it left bad taste in the fans’ mouth. Suarez moved to Barcelona, Maschrrano did the same and so on. It’s how the players convey their wishes that made all the difference. Anelka had his brother managing him to move to Real. It makes no difference if it’s a family member or Kia, it’s always down to the players themselves.

C

Caradoc

Coutinho wanted the move and it’s clear to see, the way he go about it left bad taste in the fans’ mouth. Suarez moved to Barcelona, Maschrrano did the same and so on. It’s how the players convey their wishes that made all the difference. Anelka had his brother managing him to move to Real. It makes no difference if it’s a family member or Kia, it’s always down to the players themselves.

Ed I have absolutely no doubt that agents have deliberately unsettled players to get them to make a move that they weren’t contemplating up to that point. I think younger players are particularly vulnerable to this.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Ed I have absolutely no doubt that agents have deliberately unsettled players to get them to make a move that they weren’t contemplating up to that point. I think younger players are particularly vulnerable to this.
Yes of course and it matters not whether it’s Aidy Ward or mummy, if it’s down to the agent it’s all the same. Looking out at the financial aspect of the said player. If it’s mum and dad they can be easily swayed by clubs to get into the kids ears too.... that’s the whole point. It’s always down to the player themselves to dinstinguish between what’s good for them and what’s not. Coutinho won’t push a move to Villa so that the club could earn more on transfer fees. Like what ARD was alluding towards.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yes of course and it matters not whether it’s Aidy Ward or mummy, if it’s down to the agent it’s all the same. Looking out at the financial aspect of the said player. If it’s mum and dad they can be easily swayed by clubs to get into the kids ears too.... that’s the whole point. It’s always down to the player themselves to dinstinguish between what’s good for them and what’s not. Coutinho won’t push a move to Villa so that the club could earn more on transfer fees. Like what ARD was alluding towards.
Absolutely nothing like what I said.

"who would sell a Barcelona starter to sit on the bench at Aston Villa if he could to further his own business interests"

The agent would, if he could, if it was in his best interests. Ie. The deal that was best for the agent regardless of what is best for the players happiness, sporting status, playing legacy, family considerations. Nothing to do with the players actions or the selling club getting the best fee. What the agent gets paid via a contract renew versus a move can be a difference of tens of thousands or a few million. The agent is the person the player is most likely to turn to for advice on career progression, it's what the player has hired them to do. But the agent has their own motivations if the represent other players and/or have connections to other clubs. I'm surprised you're so against this concept.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Stand by what I said. Sterling would be monstrous under Klopp. He'd probably be close to Salah style good. He is the perfect type of player for Klopps winger choice. The issues with Sterling aren't on the pitch. They are his history with us, his agent and the possibility of what his attitude may be like (but I'm one that believes that's all a crock of shit, people that no him think he's a model pro, people in the media like to paint him as a pantomime villain).
I'm not talking about what the media say, I don't read the tabloids. I don't want the little prick here because of how he acted and what he said in the interview. You can blame aide ward all you want (and yes he is a prick) but it still was sterling who said all that shit, not ward.
Doesn't matter for me if sterling might suit us because he basically told us to fuck off once so wouldn't touch him with a barge pole now. Loads of equally good players out.

C

Caradoc

I'm not talking about what the media say, I don't read the tabloids. I don't want the little prick here because of how he acted and what he said in the interview. You can blame aide ward all you want (and yes he is a prick) but it still was sterling who said all that shit, not ward.
Doesn't matter for me if sterling might suit us because he basically told us to fuck off once so wouldn't touch him with a barge pole now. Loads of equally good players out.

LFC shouldn’t bring back players who disrespect them during the process of leaving. If a player resorts to such tactics to get their move that’s their call but the club should then slam the door firmly shut on any return. FFS this is Liverpool Football Club, its a privelage to pull on the red shirt, and so no way should we ever re-open the door to anybody who disrespects this great club. I think Henry, Werner, Edwards and Klopp understand this even if some Liverpool supporters clearly don’t.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
You're arguing against somebody who doesn't disagree with you; "The issues with Sterling aren't on the pitch. They are his history with us...."!