• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I believe there is a chance we would bring someone in this January but only if the perfect player can be landed.

The Van Dijk situation is a precedent. We needed the perfect CB, the landing of one in the summer became fucked up but we still really needed to address that need within the squad. We ended up using Wijnaldum there at one point. One was available in January and even though it meant paying a premium I don't think the guys at the club cared about that. It was addressing a need and we are so well run now with incoming and out goings we can spend a bit more on a CB or starting GK if we know it'll be worth it. The fact the CB we bought in the January is the same one from the summer isn't the important point in my eyes.

This summer we tried to add two attackers, a potential hidden diamond to come in as cover as a bare minimum and a bona fide starter from day one in Shaqiri (which has luckily worked out excellently) and Fekir which fell apart. We still need that extra top class player joining the attack. Mane, Salah and Firmino are not being rotated as much as their counterparts in defence (except VvD) and midfield. Traditionally attackers would be the most rotated to keep them sharp. And I believe the plan was not to use Origi at all after he rejected that move and he's already had to start in the league. Plans may have had to change on what style forward and which player we will now look to add to the attack but if the player we've decided on is available in January I wouldn't bat an eyelid at us signing him now instead of waiting till the summer. Money side of things is good at the club I doubt we'd wait 6 months just to save some money if they think there would be a sporting benefit in doing it now.

GaryBarlow99

Klopp has said previously that we would only do something if an opportunity was there or a player left so I could see us trying to bring in a player like Ramsey or Pulisic if Origi was sold and Solanke went on loan or we got an injury to a front player.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Klopp has said previously that we would only do something if an opportunity was there or a player left so I could see us trying to bring in a player like Ramsey or Pulisic if Origi was sold and Solanke went on loan or we got an injury to a front player.
I think Solanke will go on loan regardless of incomings and if anybody makes an offer the player accepts I expect the club will seize the chance of getting Markovic and/or Origi off the books. Neither of them have a future here and Solanke only has one if he really kicks on which he won't do being so far down the pecking order here. Brewster is due back from injury second half of season and Lampard seems a little nervous we may call Wilson back on loan. Even if we don't buy anyone I could see those three leaving and Brewster and Wilson being used for cover if needed.

C

Caradoc

Chatter on the Twattersphere claiming that Dortmund are lining up Hazard Jnr (BMG) as a replacement for Pulisic.

On a more general note, after March 29th it may become clearer what, if any, impact Brexit is going to have on quotas of overseas players for the EPL. Will EU passports still count? I’m just not sure whether the club will make any signings this January for a number of reasons, this just being yet another possible consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I am worried sick about VVD getting injured that’s why we need cover by buying a CH in January and De Ligt in the summer?
As long as his partner and the midfielder don't fuck up, we be fine with his fitness. Midfield been covering a lot of tracks, making opposing team lump the ball over them and that's where they enter Van Dijk's zone. If Lovren don't do stupid things to put his partner at risk, it be all good.

Red over the water

On a more general note, after March 29th it may become clearer what, if any, impact Brexit is going to have on quotas of overseas players for the EPL. Will EU passports still count? I’m just not sure whether the club will make any signings this January for a number of reasons, this just being yet another possible consideration.
Hopefully the bumbling politicians will leave football out of it. The love of the game is the one thing all fans can unite on, no matter who you follow. Football is a nice escape from the political mess we live in day in and day out. They need to leave it alone!

Red over the water

I am worried sick about VVD getting injured that’s why we need cover by buying a CH in January and De Ligt in the summer?
If VVD gets injured I agree it will leave a hole, as he’s such a good player.

However, looking at the group of four central defenders, I think we are well stocked. Gomez and Matip will be back, but even in their absence we’ve been chugging along because we already have depth in that position. If something really freaky happened and we lost more than two of the four to injury, we still have other options - obviously we don’t want this to happen, but if needs must we might see Fabinho back there, or maybe even Philips, or possibly another senior Pro.

If one or both of Lovren and Matip decide to leave - and if they do I think it will be for more playing time, as Gomez is going to the top of the class as the main partner for VVD, then I’m sure we will look at it, but as things stand we have four senior center backs, one or two versatile midfielders who could do a job there in extreme circumstances, and a youngster or two who could be called on in extreme circumstances.

Basically I think we are well stocked.

Alright Now

If VVD gets injured I agree it will leave a hole, as he’s such a good player.

However, looking at the group of four central defenders, I think we are well stocked. Gomez and Matip will be back, but even in their absence we’ve been chugging along because we already have depth in that position. If something really freaky happened and we lost more than two of the four to injury, we still have other options - obviously we don’t want this to happen, but if needs must we might see Fabinho back there, or maybe even Philips, or possibly another senior Pro.

If one or both of Lovren and Matip decide to leave - and if they do I think it will be for more playing time, as Gomez is going to the top of the class as the main partner for VVD, then I’m sure we will look at it, but as things stand we have four senior center backs, one or two versatile midfielders who could do a job there in extreme circumstances, and a youngster or two who could be called on in extreme circumstances.

Basically I think we are well stocked.
I believe Jurgen said Philips is hurt as well.

Alright Now

Yep, he is. We are really being hit in this position, but we are sustaining a good level with the options we still have available. Injuries are a fact of life, but we’ve got two on the way back within a month. Signing another player at CB doesn’t seem right to me, unless something happens on the outgoing side.
Completely agree. Although I am fully bracing for Jurgen saying we aren’t interested in signing anyone this window and the rest of the world saying we are signing Pulisic lol

vjcpatriot

I am doubtful we'd break the bank on Mauro Icardi as he is rated around £90m currently.

But the likes of Werner, Jovic, or Dabbur might be possible in January. If we do any business I expect it would only be for 1 player.

And since our attack isn't quite as explosive as usual, getting a quality rotation man up front behind Firmino would be a good investment for the 2nd half push where we will need all the points and goals we can get to secure the title.

If anything LFC executives should feel that one more piece could put us in an even stronger position considering we are leading the table with a 4 point lead over Manchester City right now. This could be the time to strike!

Don't forget that Klopp picked up Lewandowski in the winter window at Dortmund, and he only became the best striker in the Bundesliga for years.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I’m not sure any team has third and fourth choice defenders as good as lovren and matip.
I think realistically we need a decent back up keeper as mignolet will seek a move for first team football.
Moreno and Clyne most likely to leave so that’s back up full backs needed unless we give youth a chance.
Midfield seems well stocked, especially with Ox and grujic on the books. Perhaps lallana will be surplus but I can’t see any need for a centre midfielder as priority.
Strikers and forward players as decent back up seems likely. Solanke and woodburn have stalled somewhat, and sturridge and origi don’t seem fancied.

The only unreliable transfer rumour I would like is that Brazilian forward and that American kid.

Winter is coming.

big noyd

my perspective is probably skewed as someone who grew up within an amerikkkan sports paradigm, but i think being proactive and adding quality in january takes some pressure off the players while communicating that winning the league is the goal

the lads have done a marvelous job to get here, back 'em up

C

Caradoc

Yep, he is. We are really being hit in this position, but we are sustaining a good level with the options we still have available. Injuries are a fact of life, but we’ve got two on the way back within a month. Signing another player at CB doesn’t seem right to me, unless something happens on the outgoing side.

I’ve mentioned a few times about signing Declan Rice because he’s a damn good young player who plays a lot of his football at CDM as well as CB. The fact that he can play both would make him a very useful acquisition without breaking the bank.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Don't forget that Klopp picked up Lewandowski in the winter window at Dortmund, and he only became the best striker in the Bundesliga for years.
Did he? Or have I actually forgotten?
He didn't. Lewandowski was a summer 2010 transfer.

Klopp in general has not liked January transfers, VvD is by far the most significant in his management career.

Red over the water

I think we’re in a place where if something presents itself, and is doable, we will act. I can understand the notion of getting someone in now to add to what we’ve got going on, but not necessarily being a go to player who has to hit the ground running to boss it right away. The rest of the season could be a settling in period, and they could rotate a bit on the run in.

If it’s a prized player of another club, it’s likely they won’t deal in January. But if they are being phased out already, in anticipation of a summer move, or possibly a January move, e.g. Pulisic, I could see the sense of making the deal.

I’m chilled. We have the means to act and will do so when the opportunity presents itself. The thing about getting rather good at this football lark, is that I expect opportunities to present themselves with increasing frequency! So we can, and should, be choosy.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I’m not sure any team has third and fourth choice defenders as good as lovren and matip.
I think realistically we need a decent back up keeper as mignolet will seek a move for first team football.
Moreno and Clyne most likely to leave so that’s back up full backs needed unless we give youth a chance.
Midfield seems well stocked, especially with Ox and grujic on the books. Perhaps lallana will be surplus but I can’t see any need for a centre midfielder as priority.
Strikers and forward players as decent back up seems likely. Solanke and woodburn have stalled somewhat, and sturridge and origi don’t seem fancied.

The only unreliable transfer rumour I would like is that Brazilian forward and that American kid.

Winter is coming.
I dont think clyne will leave. He has had lots of injuries. If he is fit , he will be a superb player to have as an cover for TAA.
Moreno will leave thought. I won't mind ben chilwell , his value shouldn't be that high and he can certainly improve under klopp.
Unai is a big fan of Moreno, if we can get some deal with arsenal, with ramsey coming here. That would be cracking!

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
. I won't mind ben chilwell , his value shouldn't be that high and he can certainly improve under klopp.
Unai is a big fan of Moreno, if we can get some deal with arsenal, with ramsey coming here. That would be cracking!
I'd be looking at Matt Doherty as a cover for both LB/RB. He'll come cheaper than Chilwell (who for all accounts has his dad who's a problem to deal with).

Unai can take Moreno off of us. No issues with that.

C

Caradoc

Maybe, now that the cup-tie rule for the European competitions has been removed that might just free up the January transfer market which in turn might bring down transfer fees to summer levels.

Its already a quite active window for clubs in the lower divisions that don’t participate in European competitions and have been eliminated from the domestic cup competitions by January.

Red over the water

I read somewhere Man City are interested in Chilwell and the price mentioned was £50M. He’s a good player, but I can’t see us spending what it will take to sign him. When we went in for him before Robertson, there was value to be had at that time, maybe, but Leicester knew what they had and kept hold of him. As it happens we then got an even better full back in Robertson so all’s well that ends well.

I do think we need a back up though, as I assume Moreno will leave at some point. I just doubt it would be Chilwell. He’s starting to make a name for himself and might become England's long term first choice in the position too.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
I read somewhere Man City are interested in Chilwell and the price mentioned was £50M. He’s a good player, but I can’t see us spending what it will take to sign him. When we went in for him before Robertson, there was value to be had at that time, maybe, but Leicester knew what they had and kept hold of him. As it happens we then got an even better full back in Robertson so all’s well that ends well.

I do think we need a back up though, as I assume Moreno will leave at some point. I just doubt it would be Chilwell. He’s starting to make a name for himself and might become England's long term first choice in the position too.
Liverpool were lucky enough to get Robertson, But imo, we probably need to look at the youth squad to get our RB/LB candidate. Especially with the inflated prices going on nowadays.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Fucking go mental and sign Suarez back. While we are at it put a cheeky bid for messi. We need a strong bench in 2019.
Suarez back at Anfield with Salah, Mane and Bobby would utterly guarantee the league. You know it, I know it and Klopp knows it. Might take a few ££ but worth every single penny.