• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Then & now

Not Worthy

So, firstly this is not meant as celabratory or assuming too much. However, as someone that's been attending and supporting since the early 70s; a comparators view.

I had my first season ticket in the 72/73 season (£19, I think) for the Paddock. We were already good. UEFA cup came soon after me having my ST. Leagues became the norm, European Cups established the legend. For the next 15+ years we just were, a machine. It was brilliant !!!

The last 3-4 years have been more fun. The rebuild and progression; the low-to-high ride is demonstrating on the pitch the genuine hard-work, planning and cohesiveness of a unit building together, on the pitch and behind the scenes.

It's a different game but it has the same, emotive effect: 45+ years ago or now, football is a fecker for getting to you. This team plays better football than nearly all of our previously successful teams (87 - 89 was exceptional). I'll say it again, this is more fun. From where we've travelled to be this good, this often: these players; nights that surpass St Etienne. It's Golden !!!!

Every fan should take a step back and enjoy, properly, the times we're in. Moaning about imperfections is easy; we may not win this year or ever dominate again, but trust me: every single supporter should take time to reflect on the journey from Rodgers' team selection in Madrid to now; Dortmund, Seville, Bayern, Barcelona and recognise that what we have, for the first time in 30 years, is another machine, not just occasional individual brilliance, but planned excellence.

This team is for all of us, but more for the (2) generations behind me that never saw amazing wins and achievements regularly. These guys are capable. And they play better football, are generating more fantastic memories: the Barcelona match is, for me, is the first thing that hands-down exceeded St Etienne in '77. that took some memory shifting !!!

In short, it's one Champion's League and counting. Remember to enjoy.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I arrived later to the scene than you. Actually I wasn’t even born when you were starting your anfield experience.
But one thing that is different for me is the social media aspect. In the 80s when I started going, the discussion in the playground (and years later in the pub) was great fun. Now it’s all down in social media where everyone is trying to get heard without ever listening. I miss the discussion side of it. Which is why I like TIA. It’s a substitute for that.
But also I miss the teletext updates! Waiting for the screen to come back and see we had scored (or not). Now I get updates on my phone so quick that even the BBC sports page isn’t updated. Sometimes I use the TIA matchday thread to follow the games. It’s quite funny. Trying to get an idea of how the game is going and then a dozen people type ‘fuck’ and you know it’s bad news. And then ‘yes!’ Or ‘ maneeeeeee’.

But yes, back to your post (sorry if I detailed it), it is a great time to be a fan now. Mainly because we win every week with a last minute winner!

Commando

Ad-free Member
I arrived later to the scene than you. Actually I wasn’t even born when you were starting your anfield experience.
But one thing that is different for me is the social media aspect. In the 80s when I started going, the discussion in the playground (and years later in the pub) was great fun. Now it’s all down in social media where everyone is trying to get heard without ever listening. I miss the discussion side of it. Which is why I like TIA. It’s a substitute for that.
But also I miss the teletext updates! Waiting for the screen to come back and see we had scored (or not). Now I get updates on my phone so quick that even the BBC sports page isn’t updated. Sometimes I use the TIA matchday thread to follow the games. It’s quite funny. Trying to get an idea of how the game is going and then a dozen people type ‘fuck’ and you know it’s bad news. And then ‘yes!’ Or ‘ maneeeeeee’.

But yes, back to your post (sorry if I detailed it), it is a great time to be a fan now. Mainly because we win every week with a last minute winner!

I’ve been going the game since 1971. It was very easy to become blasé about how successful we were in the seventies and eighties. I won’t make that mistake again. I really feel like I appreciate our team and what they’ve achieved this time around.

Barking back to the pre t’internet days, I remember in 1977 listening on the radio to the FA Cup semi when Bryan Hamilton scored the “winner” for the Ev. I was barefooted and kicked the wall. I broke my big toe and was rolling on the floor in agony when Clive Thomas disallowed it (thank goodness for VAR). I couldn’t wait for MOTD that night to see why it was disallowed? I still haven’t got a clue. Luckily the Ev fans have forgotten all about it and never mention it.;)

Not Worthy

I miss the match day 'routine', simple as that.

My principal point was that, yes, it's a great time to be a fan again. And possibly more so because it's been hard won (the fun bit) and unexpected to a large extent. Klopp;s point about making their own, new chapters he is delivering on, in spades.

Not Worthy

It’s the “have a cuddle thread” :)
A bit, yeah. Just a case of appreciate it for what it is, rather than a means of comparison: which it's easy for some of us oldies to fall into.

Not Worthy

I’ve been going the game since 1971. It was very easy to become blasé about how successful we were in the seventies and eighties. I won’t make that mistake again. I really feel like I appreciate our team and what they’ve achieved this time around.

Barking back to the pre t’internet days, I remember in 1977 listening on the radio to the FA Cup semi when Bryan Hamilton scored the “winner” for the Ev. I was barefooted and kicked the wall. I broke my big toe and was rolling on the floor in agony when Clive Thomas disallowed it (thank goodness for VAR). I couldn’t wait for MOTD that night to see why it was disallowed? I still haven’t got a clue. Luckily the Ev fans have forgotten all about it and never mention it.;)
I ended up in A&E after puching a window following the Greenhof/Macari (???) fluke goal.... Couldn't eat salt & vinegar crisps for a fortnight !!!

Commando

Ad-free Member
I ended up in A&E after puching a window following the Greenhof/Macari (???) fluke goal.... Couldn't eat salt & vinegar crisps for a fortnight !!!
We need a thread on "Unusual football related injuries".

BTW were you OK with other flavours of crisps?

Not Worthy

We need a thread on "Unusual football related injuries".

BTW were you OK with other flavours of crisps?
I had a limited palette at the time: salt & vinegar, Monster Much or nice 'n spicy Nik-Naks (I may have my timings out on that one).

Other football related injuries include a broken wrist sustained by falling off one of those weird big steps at the old Wembley, plus a few scrapes from being chased around Maine Road and White Hat Lane. Villa Park was often 'tasty' too.

Last edited: