• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Theo Walcott (RW) Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Sign or be sold: Wenger hints that Walcott could be available in January

Liverpool will bid for winger who hasn't started for Arsenal since rejecting a new £75k per week deal, while City and Chelsea fancy him on a Bosman

Arsene Wenger has given Theo Walcott a two-month ultimatum to sign a new deal - or risk being sold in January.

Walcott is being frozen out at Arsenal, and will not start at Manchester City on Sunday as his contract stand-off drags on.

It will increase the likelihood of Walcott leaving Arsenal - Liverpool will make an offer in the winter window, Manchester City are lining up a mega-bucks contract for a summer Bosman and Chelsea also fancy him.

Walcott has not started a game for Arsenal since stalling on a £75,000-a-week contract offer, and Gunners manager Wenger admits that the next couple of months will be crucial and will decide the player's future.

"I haven't picked him, it's true, and it's quite a good question," said the Frenchman. "I still hope to sign him and the next two months will be vital because, after that, the longer this situation lasts the more difficult it is.

"Let's hope we can find a solution in the next two months but the fact he doesn't play regularly at the moment is right, but it's not necessarily linked with his contract situation."

Wenger insisted Arsenal can afford to go beyond January, but the Mirror understands Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers will bid - and that any offer is likely to be entertained by the Gunners, rather than the alternative of potentially losing him for free.

City and Chelsea would rather wait, and a better personal package is likely to be on offer if Walcott is a free agent next summer.

When pressed on whether Arsenal would sell in January, Wenger said: "It will depend on the needs of the team and the club. We can afford to go to the end (of the contract) if needed.

"No player is happy when he doesn't play.

"At the moment, Koscielny doesn't play. He's just extended his contract and still doesn't play because the defence is doing well.

"That's only temporary because by the end of the season they will all play."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfer-news-theo-walcott-1336492

While I don't consider The Mirror as reliable source of this kind of rumours, The Times have already confirmed our interest in him and old thread got lost in server crash. So, I'll keep this one open in meantime.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
In our current situation, I'd take him. He wants to play centrally, I'd let him play there too. Who else do we have?

Nikola

Admin
I guess that I share your view, ZB. Having a speed merchant with experience in this league is probably better than not having anyone at all. However, he will still be a brainless runner with good finishing in my eyes, as harsh as it may sound (though I'm talking only about his on-the-pitch intelligence, to get that straight). However, if we thinks that he will get a good deal here, he might as well look for another club. There is no way that our regime will hand him even the contract that Wenger offered him, let alone more. He hasn't done anything to justify that amount of money, in my opinion.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
I guess that I share your view, ZB. Having a speed merchant with experience in this league is probably better than not having anyone at all. However, he will still be a brainless runner with good finishing in my eyes, as harsh as it may sound (though I'm talking only about his on-the-pitch intelligence, to get that straight). However, if we thinks that he will get a good deal here, he might as well look for another club. There is no way that our regime will hand him even the contract that Wenger offered him, let alone more. He hasn't done anything to justify that amount of money, in my opinion.
It depends how desperate we are in January I guess, and what (if any) other options there are available. I don't think 75k p/w would be out of our reach for a 23-year-old England international, that's a bit less than Carroll was given, wasn't it? I suppose he rejected that offer from Arsenal, though. Lifelong Liverpool fan, maybe he'd accept something more reasonable to come to us and actually get games - which he wouldn't be guaranteed at City or Chelsea. I could actually see him ending up like Adam Johnson if he went to City.

Nikola

Admin
It depends how desperate we are in January I guess, and what (if any) other options there are available. I don't think 75k p/w would be out of our reach for a 23-year-old England international, that's a bit less than Carroll was given, wasn't it? I suppose he rejected that offer from Arsenal, though. Lifelong Liverpool fan, maybe he'd accept something more reasonable to come to us and actually get games - which he wouldn't be guaranteed at City or Chelsea. I could actually see him ending up like Adam Johnson if he went to City.
I also don't quite see a reason why he would want to move to City other than for the money. They already bought a similar player in Scott Sinclair. Chelsea could be his destination as he would offer a different option to them, though I doubt that he would be a starter for them. The sad thing is that Man U, City and Barca have ended up with Van Persie, Nasri and Fabregas respectively, while we are battling for the likes of Walcott and Clichy (though Clichy definitely wasn't bad at City so far, defying my criticism).

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
I also don't quite see a reason why he would want to move to City other than for the money. They already bought a similar player in Scott Sinclair. Chelsea could be his destination as he would offer a different option to them, though I doubt that he would be a starter for them. The sad thing is that Man U, City and Barca have ended up with Van Persie, Nasri and Fabregas respectively, while we are battling for the likes of Walcott and Clichy (though Clichy definitely wasn't bad at City so far, defying my criticism).
A lot of people (myself included) were pretty pleased we got Enrique instead of Clichy... I wonder which way they'd go now.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Not really fazed if we don't get him. A speedy winger is what we need, but he's not a guy who's going to solve our striking issues. Would pioritise a striker(s) first, then go for him later in January.

Nikola

Admin
A lot of people (myself included) were pretty pleased we got Enrique instead of Clichy... I wonder which way they'd go now.
I was Enrique's biggest proponent and I still think that he can recover his form.

Not really fazed if we don't get him. A speedy winger is what we need, but he's not a guy who's going to solve our striking issues. Would pioritise a striker(s) first, then go for him later in January.
I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers indeed regarded him as a striker in his system.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
I think he is a central striker and is not happy playing on the wing.I would like to see him through the middle to see what he does.Maybe he needs a new club or manager.If we got him on the cheap that would be great.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
On a full season, he would be easily the second highest goal scorer on the team. Unless he would be really cheap in January not sure what the point of in bidding for him when if he would want to come here he could sign a pre- contract. I think he and Saurez would change spots through the match depending on how it's going so him central or out on the right dosen't really matter.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
One of my good friends is a Gooner and he can't wait to get rid of Walcott. He seems to believe that people who want Walcott have only seen him in games where he has performed well or in MOTD highlights. He says that anyone who has seen him play on a regular basis knows how awful he can be. Typical speedy winger with no brains for football he describes him as.

I'm not sure I would be willing to sign the lad and give him the salary bump he wants after hearing this. I would rather we got Nathan Dyer instead.

lfc.8

I wouldn't move for Walcott either, doesn't read the game well, inconsistent also.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
I wouldn't move for Walcott either, doesn't read the game well, inconsistent also.
Agreed. Given we are now apparently being financially 'smarter' with our signings when it comes to wages, don't see us competing and paying him the 90k or 100k per week him and his agent are demanding from Arsenal...for a player who is injury prone and inconsistent as he is.

We really don't need a Kewell mark 2 at the club.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
wouldnt be an ideal solution but we dont seem to be getting any of those

offers some attributes we dont have in our squad

would still want to see if Fallows and Hunter could turn up something first but would be a genuinely quick player in the squad, might force teams back a bit even if he has his annoying days

kwala

TIA Regular
Theo please sign your contract. We don't need an overrated player on inflated wages that we can't shift, when he has failed to get his head up and pick a pass after 18 months.

Just sign the effing contract. Please.

allybally00

TIA Squad Member
I am a bit undecided about Walcott. Sometimes he looks world class and we could do with his pace on the wings. He would be pretty much guaranteed a starting place in our team with what we have at the moment but for anything over 60-75k per week then no chance. If he really supported us as a kid and was more interested in getting regular first team football then he may accept these terms but modern footballers are mostlt a greedy bunch so I doubt he would accept anything under 90-100k.

He could be the game changer that we need at the club but as Kwala said above if he cant get his head up and pick a pass after years under Wenger then he isnt the right kind of signing for us. He could potentially be a very frustrating inconsistant signing if he did join us.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Tricky, we need a winger, there is going to come a point this season where sterling needs a break you cant expect a 17 yr old to start 38 games in this league. Of course we need another 2 strikers as well.......

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1170185/theo-walcott-still-hopeful-he-will-stay-at-arsenal?cc=5901

From this article I take it that Walcott is looking for Arsenal to give him assurances that he will be played up front, and not as a winger. I don't know if one of the wide positions in our 4-3-3 would count with him as being 'up front', but I would take him no problem. He's 23, and we have a manager with a rep of getting the best out of young talented players, and he definitly has the mobility BR is looking for in his players. Could play anywhere in the front 3. After all the salary dumping we did over the summer, 75 K/week better not be a problem and tbh probably is a lot less than he would get at PSG, one of the rich Russian clubs, City, or Chelsea. He would instanlty make us a better team with more depth, so I see no negatives with pulling the trigger on this one.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Think whoever ends up with Walcott will be taking a risk but its a risk that if pays off could see that team end up with one of the quickest most clinical strikers in the league, people say he has no end product but every season he has been getting more and more assists and goals and he is still only 23. One thing is for sure his pace alone would terrify most teams forcing that team to play deep and cautious. One thing that was so frustrating about the FA cup final (had me crying with frustration to be honest was not a good day being there) was the speed of Chelseas attacks compared to the slowness of ours. Some moves have been made this summer to speed us up but somebody of Walcott's pace certainly wouldn't hurt. But then again I ALWAYS want us to sign players who support Liverpool as it means they will play with a passion you just can't buy!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
He wants more money, that is a problem for us. So forget we going to get him, not going to happen unless we pay him what he wants.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
In recent interviews he has been stating he doesn't care bout the money (yeah as if, doubt he'd play for free) but that he wants to play as a striker not a winger. We offer him maybe slight raise on what he is on (not huge) and a promise to give him a shot in the middle. Could happen. Doubt he would get a centre forward gig at any club bigger than us they all have good centre forwards and wouldn''t take the risk. Not even sure we would take that risk which means he may need to drop down below even us in pecking order if he really is serious about only wanting to play as a centre forward.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Its risky though as just because he wants to play as a striker doesn't mean hes that great at it.

Ataturk

★★★★★
Good luck to him in believing he can be a striker, I'm not convinced though personally. Good finisher and obviously really quick but I don't think he has the positional sense or awareness to be truly effective there.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Agreed, I personally would sign Walcott the winger, but Walcott the striker? Hmmm....only if we had spare wheelbarrow of cash which is unlikely. Although one thing going in his favour I guess is last time he played as a centre forward he got bought by Arsenal for £9 million and got called up to the England squad for the 06 World Cup, but that was a while ago to say the least. Think more likely he ends up somewhere like Norwich or Fulham where they can afford to take that risk or stays as a winger and ends up getting paid a lot to warm some big teams bench and make cameos.

1dragon

TIA Regular
I will give it a go if his wage demands are not too high. We play an interchanging 4-3-3 so who says he must strictly be in the center? Suarez is ever buzzing around in and around the box so if Walcott is there to apply the finishing move, I am all for it. The fact that he adds pace, a trait that we are still lacking except in Downing and Sterling is also a plus.

For 5 million in January, it could potentially salvage our season and it is one that FSG might just sanction. The only down side is that this leaves our entire strike force without a good header of the ball.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
I'd offer Downing in a straight swap. Otherwise not that interested unless it's for a bargain price.

I have always been curious as to how Walcott would do if given the opportunity to play more through the middle.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I'd offer Downing in a straight swap. Otherwise not that interested unless it's for a bargain price.

I have always been curious as to how Walcott would do if given the opportunity to play more through the middle.
Well let's buy him and satisfy your curiosity!

Status
Not open for further replies.