Thiago Alcantara (CM) Bayern Munich

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Several sources talking about this potential move. What we know for now:
  • Alcantara will most probably leave Bayern this summer if an offer from a top club comes in. The PL seems to be his preferred destination.
  • He'll cost between 30 and 35 millions, and most probably ask for a high wage.
My opinion: he's a jewel of a player, probably the silkiest midfield player since Xabi retired. A wonderful eye for an opening in front of him, and a true reader of the game. World-class. Any club would be interested if he becomes available.

That's one side of things. The other is recurring injuries and no experience of the PL at 29. A relatively high fee and most probably a high wage. So, is it worth it, and would Klopp say yes to such a player under these conditions?

Dunno, I'm not sure. Juve for instance would be a natural destination for such a player: a slow, ultra-tactical league, world-class players all around him... but there are no rumours linking him to Italy, or a move back to Spain. Our style of football is based on pace and ultra-high physical engagement at all times. Thiago isn't a luxury player at all, but could he raise to such a level? Maybe... he has the ability to retain possession at an almost unique level. So, he could maybe adapt and add something new to our game.

One can look at it in the following way: Lallana has been a good servant to the club. He's on high wages, and has often been injured. Replacing him with Thiago would be an upgrade of the squad, while adding qualities which we currently don't have, especially when Lallana will be gone. The risks will be similar (recurring injuries), but the potential positives of this move might be immense. For a fee which is half the one the club laid out for Keita.

My feeling is that Chelsea or Man City are more natural recipients for that kind of player than us, and that we won't move for him. But who knows, it's worth discussing it in here.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Can’t remember being so torn over the potential signing of a player.

Also, there is a high possibility of being used by an agent here and i am getting upset by just thinking about that.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Would rather breed Curtis into that type of mould than drop 30-35 million on a injury prone player that will need a few months to settle. Left back is the priority first in my opinion but in Klopp we trust.
In terms of that left back back up signing i don’t trust Klopp and Edwards at all :LOL:

How many windows are we wating already?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Would rather breed Curtis into that type of mould than drop 30-35 million on a injury prone player that will need a few months to settle. Left back is the priority first in my opinion but in Klopp we trust.
Thiago plays further back than Jones, Jones is an attacking mid, number 10 or forward. Thiago is more like a number 6 with less defensive stability than Henderson or Fabinho (maybe like how Wijnaldum, Lallana and Chirivella have played the position for us) but probably as one of a two man CM base instead of a one 6 with two CMs in front. The player the move would most impede would be Grujic but he may not have a future here anyway.

Dave-D

Thiago plays further back than Jones, Jones is an attacking mid, number 10 or forward. Thiago is more like a number 6 with less defensive stability than Henderson or Fabinho (maybe like how Wijnaldum, Lallana and Chirivella have played the position for us) but probably as one of a two man CM base instead of a one 6 with two CMs in front. The player the move would most impede would be Grujic but he may not have a future here anyway.
If Thiago did sign I expect Grujic to be sold, which would help cover some of the transfer fee.

On a side note I think you could be right and Fabinho would drop back as CB back up with Thiago in DM and Lovren sold. Which I’d have no problem with as it wouldn’t leave either Defence or midfield a player short

Last edited:

Herb

I said this in the unreliable rumours thread but I’ll say it again, it confuses me as to why people would rather buy a back up left back who’ll play maybe five games of importance in a season as opposed to a world class midfield player.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I said this in the unreliable rumours thread but I’ll say it again, it confuses me as to why people would rather buy a back up left back who’ll play maybe five games of importance in a season as opposed to a world class midfield player.
I always wonder how, whenever we're linked to a player (and this ALWAYS happens), there are those who think we're not interested in anyone else or are ignoring needs in other positions.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
The more I think about it the more I wonder if this could be realistic.

We have never (in my lifetime) been in this position, i.e. basically champions of the world.. Our squad is all at, or approaching peak.. We are strengthening from a position of absolute strength..

So is this the natural shift for FSG? Consolidate your position, trust the youth set up and recruitment and spend on the absolute best player that Klopp wants/needs for the 1st team irrespective of re-sale value?

Is Thiago that? Undoubtedly, he is a world class player and probably a "type" we miss in games. With the AFCON delayed a year, that need for an attacker is diminished and we are probably hoping 1 of Havertz or Sancho stay put till next summer.

Fuck it.. I'm in!

Red Submarine

We've won the fucking lot.
We are the best team in the world at the moment, and we've done it on a comparative shoestring. If ever there was a time to start dropping a few quid on a few players it's now and if this is one of them then so be it. Hope there will be more. I don't think any of the kids are anywhere near good enough to be starting regularly yet, personally.

Incognito

The Normal One
Would be a good addition if he signs, won't be too bothered if he doesn't. It's not like we can't attract talented players anymore and a big name signing not happening will mean huge difference in class on the pitch and impacting our ability to attract other players off it. It's win win either way considering how things are going currently with us :)

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
maybe the club is using thiago in contract negotiations with wijnaldum?
I cant see it. I dont think the club feel the need to. If Winjaldum goes, they have scope to buy a replacement (Tompkins suggested this may have been what our contact was initially about). If he doesnt sign a new contract, then letting him see his deal out here is fine too. He wasnt the most expensive of signings, and we cant complain about not getting our money's worth with him, he has been excellent value for money.

Joe Gomez x

Don’t know maybe it’s due to my liking of Gini and Hendo and my unwillingness to see them dropped for Thiago. I do get you’re view but I just feel our real issue is lack of depth at left back. I’d reckon if his injury record was better and was a few years younger I’d agree with you more, like a Havertz for example.

Richard88

So often you see people lament our lack of quality depth compared to the likes of City, who have De Bruyne, David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Gundogan, Fernandinho, etc as options in midfield. I'm surprised to see people against this move now that we have the chance to sign an elite player in precisely the position on the pitch where we could do with an upgrade and are weaker than our main rival.

Under normal circumstances I would think that City would be favourites for him, particularly given the Guardiola connection, but with City facing a 2 year CL ban we could probably be favourites for him.

Right now whenever Keita isn't fit or on form we often really lack penetration from midfield, and Thiago would give us another playmaking option and give us a really balanced set of options in midfield:
  • DM: Fabinho, Henderson
  • 'Functional' CM: Wijnaldum, Milner
  • Playmakers: Thiago, Keita
  • AM: Ox, Jones
---------- Fabinho ---------
--------- Henderson -------
------------------------------
Wijnaldum --------- Thiago
Ox ------------------- Keita
Milner --------------- Jones

As someone else mentioned, if we were to add Thiago then it would be natural for Fabinho to slot in at CB more frequently, probably as Lovren's replacement in the depth chart.

Richard88

Don’t know maybe it’s due to my liking of Gini and Hendo and my unwillingness to see them dropped for Thiago. I do get you’re view but I just feel our real issue is lack of depth at left back. I’d reckon if his injury record was better and was a few years younger I’d agree with you more, like a Havertz for example.
What is it about signing a CM that would stop us from signing a backup LB?

Joe Gomez x

What is it about signing a CM that would stop us from signing a backup LB?
Well in these times with the transfer market at a strange place and people like James Pearce saying it will be a quite window so I’d imagine we may only have one signing. And personally I’d rather have a backup left full than a centre midfielder as I think Gini and Hendo have another year left in them at a high level for us.

Noo Noo

Questions from me.

a) What is @Hope in your heart 's success rate after starting these threads?

b) Given the injury problems how many posts do we need to beat the Fekir thread?

From the video posted above I can see exactly why Klopp would be interested in him. We have pace in spades with Mane and Salah. Add clever movement from Bobby the only missing piece is someone with the ability to put the ball on their feet.

I also wonder if this could be a return to 4-2-3-1?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Well in these times with the transfer market at a strange place and people like James Pearce saying it will be a quite window so I’d imagine we may only have one signing. And personally I’d rather have a backup left full than a centre midfielder as I think Gini and Hendo have another year left in them at a high level for us.
James Pearce operates on 3 things.

1 Hints about our transfer strategies and intentions.... or at least what the club want known.
2 When a player is definitely not a target and the club 100% won't be completing a deal for them.... sometimes worded as "unless something 'drastic' were to change"!
3 About 12-48 hours before a deal is completed he and the others get the nod.

Most of the time he is making guesses based on number 1, which as I said is only what the club want known and may not end up being that accurate anyway.

Richard88

Regardless of what happens with Thiago we're unlikely to make a big-money signing at LB, partly because it makes no sense to splurge on a player that might see 5 league appearances as Robertson's backup, and partly because top LB's won't want to join a club where they'd be a doubt to even be included in the matchday squad let alone in the first XI. If we sign a LB I'd imagine that it will be a young guy with potential, like a left sided version of Hoever or Neco Williams. And such a signing would be cheap enough to have no bearing on our ability to sign a CM.

If one scrutinises our squad objectively I think it's fair to say that we have the world's best goalie; the best back 4 in the league; and arguably the best front 3 in Europe. It's also fair to say that between Fabinho and Henderson we are extremely strong in the No.6 position. In the 2 No.8 positions we are also pretty strong, but being critical we definitely lack incisiveness in that area of the pitch that often leaves us grinding games out by the odd goal, rather than sweeping opponents away. Keita was supposed to be the player to add that offensive penetration to our team, but he's been inconsistent with both fitness and form.

Thiago at 29 would be a bit of a departure from the type of transfers we've seen under Klopp and Edwards, but if the aim is to maximise the potential of the current squad - most of whom are in their peak right now, then it makes a lot of sense. We could of course sign a 22/23 year old with an eye on the future, but I think it can be argued that we're still 1-2 years away from really needing to seriously start retooling the squad. Once the front 3 start to hit 30 that's when we would need to be looking at buying 22/23 year old players entering their prime.