• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Thiago Alcantara (CM) Bayern Munich

What will Thiago be leaning on?

• Six *real* European Cups.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Crying Owen Hargreaves.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Some moody bit of wall round Melwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The ‘Best Midfield’ song, ready to go again.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • That five million quid Barca now owe us (they don’t)

• Table with a ‘contract’ on it. Prop pen. Awkward smile. Maybe a thumbs up.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • All his new Nike shit.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Pile of discarded ‘FSG OUT’ signs. But steady on, Thiago. Twitter will need them back in a week.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Anfield centre circle, looking like it belongs to him and everyone else can do one.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Gini, in a double contract signing bonanza.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Allianz Arena, lads. It’s not happening.

• Tearful, and visibly agitated (more than usual) Pep

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Gini’s old locker :(

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
The club originally planned to sign him for a fee expected to be just under £30m at the end of the season. All the cheap release clause did was make us move faster to avoid anyone else trying to buy him. I think it is fair to say that he is a talented player, even if he hasn't shown it for us yet. He demonstrated his abilities while in Germany and Ole was quite public about how disappointed he was to miss out on signing him (he didnt know about the release clause). The real test will come after a full pre-season.
I am not advocating selling him, but I won’t be devastated if he is replaced.

I suppose, hand on heart, we go into a fourth season with the mane Salah firmino frontline (as good as it is) with only tweaking the formation, Minamino and Origi to change it up I think we are underdone....

I hate the term ‘figured us out’ more along the lines of played against us enough not to be mugged,

But I think it needs changing up, not the ‘cup final’ team....just the options at klopp hand.

I just think klopp needs something different.

Maybe this time next year someone hunts these posts down and laughs at me..... but I doubt it, from what I’ve seen.

Willing tryer, good to give tge lads the last 30 off, but even if manes having a shocker, you’re not looking to hook sadio and put on Minamino for the last ten if you are hunting the game.

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Ad-free Member
The club originally planned to sign him for a fee expected to be just under £30m at the end of the season. All the cheap release clause did was make us move faster to avoid anyone else trying to buy him. I think it is fair to say that he is a talented player, even if he hasn't shown it for us yet. He demonstrated his abilities while in Germany and Ole was quite public about how disappointed he was to miss out on signing him (he didnt know about the release clause). The real test will come after a full pre-season.
Minamino was in Austria not Germany though right? It’s an honest question I didn’t follow his career at all until we played them in the champions league. Did he play in Germany before moving to RB Salzburg?

For me he looks like a player that really only looks good in one position, and that is the false 9, or potentially a 10 if we ever moved to 4-2-3-1. Not excellent but in the few minutes he’s played centrally and not on the wing he looked pretty dangerous. Has looked really bad out wide.

More than happy to give him more time but I agree with most that right now he looks like a squad player at best. I guess good news is if it doesn’t work out it should be easy to get our money back.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I am not advocating selling him, but I won’t be devastated if he is replaced.

I suppose, hand on heart, we go into a fourth season with the mane Salah firmino frontline (as good as it is) with only tweaking the formation, Minamino and Origi to change it up I think we are underdone....

I hate the term ‘figured us out’ more along the lines of played against us enough not to be mugged,

But I think it needs changing up, not the ‘cup final’ team....just the options at klopp hand.

I just think klopp needs something different.

Maybe this time next year someone hunts these posts down and laughs at me..... but I doubt it, from what I’ve seen.

Willing tryer, good to give tge lads the last 30 off, but even if manes having a shocker, you’re not looking to hook sadio and put on Minamino for the last ten if you are hunting the game.
I agree on options though the only thing they seem to have figured out his how to foul Salah without giving away a penalty.

Red over the water

If Wijnaldum is looking at his options elsewhere, Thiago would be a great replacement. If he settles quickly, he will be an even better player for us. And if Thiago can’t play every Prem game, as is likely, due to workload, it gives Jones a chance to stake a claim, as he looked very comfortable indeed alongside his more establish senior colleagues.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Um, yeah, he’s pretty good. Although Naby’s really been coming on well since the Covid break, I can see where what the Boss and others might be thinking in terms of opposing teams trying more and more to take away our wide play from the full backs, that the way forward is to further increase our creativity through the middle.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

It this Abendzeitung a reliable source? Because this article sounds very optimistic about Liverpool's chances of signing Alcantara.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

It this Abendzeitung a reliable source? Because this article sounds very optimistic about Liverpool's chances of signing Alcantara.
It says nothing that hasnt been said before, so i am guessing it isnt.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I'm thinking about what Pep was saying about teams now trying to combat us more by concentrating on our fullbacks and that the way to combat this is getting less predictable/more creative in other areas.
I dont think that takes a genius to work out.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I dont think that takes a genius to work out.
May just be a coincidence but we start getting linked to a player who would be our most creative CM if he joined and people are wondering why only for Pep to then talk about how, tactically, we need to add creativity and seemed to be talking about CM.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Um, yeah, he’s pretty good. Although Naby’s really been coming on well since the Covid break, I can see where what the Boss and others might be thinking in terms of opposing teams trying more and more to take away our wide play from the full backs, that the way forward is to further increase our creativity through the middle.

Ok, I'm a convert.

1dragon

TIA Regular
I forgot if Thiago played against us in last season's champions league match. If he did, how did he perform against our pressing and intensity? I think that would be a good indicator of his skill as well.

1dragon

TIA Regular
Here we go

Thanks @Kopstar .

He was not really targeted by our players, but he did well on the few occasions he found himself under pressure. What impressed me more was his good anticipation. He could read the moves of our players and made many interceptions.

On the flip side, he doesn't seem to press the opposition much, so he may have to work on that aspect of he comes here.

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
Thanks @Kopstar .

He was not really targeted by our players, but he did well on the few occasions he found himself under pressure. What impressed me more was his good anticipation. He could read the moves of our players and made many interceptions.

On the flip side, he doesn't seem to press the opposition much, so he may have to work on that aspect of he comes here.
In his defence though,just from that video,he was playing against us so their tactics were probably for him to play the DM/deep lying playmaker role for the bulk of the game,just sit infront of the defence and help out at the back (when we break and have numbers rushing their defence), mop up/intercept any balls and use his range of passing skills to get out.

I'm no expert on him but i'd imagine if he played against anyone other than us or a top pressing team,he'd have more time and space on the ball and play further up the pitch or be played in a slightly different position.He seems like a player with a football brain,awearness of where players are on the field,i think with a few training sessions under Klopps system,i doubt he'd have much trouble picking up our pressing game or just be used to ping perfect passes to the front 3.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Grujic especially. I would have thought there would be plenty of clubs in Germany interested in signing him, he gets in most sides in that league and he could even compete for a place in the likes of Dortmund and Leipzig.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
£6m or so for Karius!
It seems that Montpellier are signing Zidane's son, so Karius might be a no-go but I hope they'll find him a new club for that kind of money.

Grujic especially. I would have thought there would be plenty of clubs in Germany interested in signing him, he gets in most sides in that league and he could even compete for a place in the likes of Dortmund and Leipzig.
To be honest, I've half-jokingly been counting on that for a while but it doesn't seem that anyone other than Hertha are interested in him. It's a shame, he'd have helped drive down Sancho's price tag significantly and send Old Trafford faithful into a meltdown.

Zoran

Yeah, I don't see Grujic at one of the best sides in Germany. There might be interest also from other leagues, who knows. I think we'll sell him either this summer or next. Depends what we judge, what's the price, maybe we can wait an extra year for the market to go back to normal again in 2021. Similar with Wilson.

Richard88

Yeah, I don't see Grujic at one of the best sides in Germany. There might be interest also from other leagues, who knows. I think we'll sell him either this summer or next. Depends what we judge, what's the price, maybe we can wait an extra year for the market to go back to normal again in 2021. Similar with Wilson.
There's no rush to sell Wilson or Grujic as they're both on contracts that run until 2023, so if we don't get good offers for them this year I'd expect them to just be loaned again (for decent loan fees).

I'd expect that Edwards will value Grujic at around £20m and Wilson at about £25m.

Status
Not open for further replies.