• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Thiago Alcantara (CM) Bayern Munich

What will Thiago be leaning on?

• Six *real* European Cups.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Crying Owen Hargreaves.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Some moody bit of wall round Melwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The ‘Best Midfield’ song, ready to go again.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • That five million quid Barca now owe us (they don’t)

• Table with a ‘contract’ on it. Prop pen. Awkward smile. Maybe a thumbs up.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • All his new Nike shit.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Pile of discarded ‘FSG OUT’ signs. But steady on, Thiago. Twitter will need them back in a week.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Anfield centre circle, looking like it belongs to him and everyone else can do one.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Gini, in a double contract signing bonanza.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Allianz Arena, lads. It’s not happening.

• Tearful, and visibly agitated (more than usual) Pep

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Gini’s old locker :(

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I know this is probably blasphemous or controversial against “popular opinion”, but put me in the ‘No’ category for signing Thiago. Where does he play? Even if Gini is leaving at seasons end? You don’t think our midfield is already crowded enough? I’d rather take chances on who we have here, adding in Curtis Jones, than to spend 30M on Thiago. Thiago is class - as I’ve said all along - but as our side is currently constructed, it just doesn’t make sense to me. I know it’s fun to post highlights clips, but let’s also remember Thiago has always played alongside world class players, in a side that has dominated their domestic league, both in Spain and Germany.

I would rather allocate those resources to an attacker.

***USUAL QUALIFIER: I am but a mere fan, from the outside looking in, so what do I know? I am only sharing one differing viewpoint but I will ALWAYS support JK in any personnel decision.

tesh

TIA New Signing
I know this is probably blasphemous or controversial against “popular opinion”, but put me in the ‘No’ category for signing Thiago. Where does he play? Even if Gini is leaving at seasons end? You don’t think our midfield is already crowded enough? I’d rather take chances on who we have here, adding in Curtis Jones, than to spend 30M on Thiago. Thiago is class - as I’ve said all along - but as our side is currently constructed, it just doesn’t make sense to me. I know it’s fun to post highlights clips, but let’s also remember Thiago has always played alongside world class players, in a side that has dominated their domestic league, both in Spain and Germany.

I would rather allocate those resources to an attacker.

***USUAL QUALIFIER: I am but a mere fan, from the outside looking in, so what do I know? I am only sharing one differing viewpoint but I will ALWAYS support JK in any personnel decision.
Soooo... what you're saying is our midfield is rubbish then?

Zoran

There's no rush to sell Wilson or Grujic as they're both on contracts that run until 2023, so if we don't get good offers for them this year I'd expect them to just be loaned again (for decent loan fees).

I'd expect that Edwards will value Grujic at around £20m and Wilson at about £25m.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Sometimes fans are in such a rush to offload everyone in the same window, Football Manager-style. It's not always the right timing for everyone. You have to analyze case by case, what's best to do in which transfer window. Of course, there's the risk of Grujic not having another good loan, etc. We might also need to raise some money this summer for certain things. But I have no particular issues if we'll delay a couple of these decisions/sales for next summer. Thankfully we can afford it. This virus shite could've happened at a much, much worse time for the club. So that's also something to feel grateful about, luckily we haven't looked better as a club from top to bottom in ages (doesn't mean we're so far ahead off the pitch, we're certainly not, we still have to operate in certain structure under these owners).

I'm confident we'll continue to sell well. That's not all down to good negotiating, but simply being in a good place in terms of results, etc. We have more of a position of power than before.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Ideally Wijnaldum stays and Thiago comes as an addition to an already stacked midfield. Next season is going to be more demanding physically and mentally with a lot of games in a short amount of time. There'll be plenty of rotation. Plus his quality is undeniable; there's no doubt that he would strenghten the team significantly.

This makes too much sense for it not to happen but you never know what's going on behind the scenes.

Thiago has always played alongside world class players, in a side that has dominated their domestic league
Moving to Liverpool won't be much of a change for him then.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Moving to Liverpool won't be much of a change for him then.
My point in making that statement - which seems to have flown over everyone’s head - is that it’s easy to highlight Thiago’s skills in those YouTube clips when you look at his supporting cast. Everyone is ignoring the part where I say I don’t want Thiago because I believe in what we already have. Unlike the majority in this thread.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
My point in making that statement - which seems to have flown over everyone’s head - is that it’s easy to highlight Thiago’s skills in those YouTube clips when you look at his supporting cast. Everyone is ignoring the part where I say I don’t want Thiago because I believe in what we already have. Unlike the majority in this thread.
I believe in the quality of what we have, but the players are human, and therefore susceptible to injuries and downturns in form.

Bringing in an experienced winner, when losing a couple of older heads in the likes of Lallana and Lovren, and with Milner not getting any younger, he could be adding a lot to the squad.

Also means that even if the likes of Gini stays on unsigned terms, in a years time, Jones has progressed further and Alcantara is settled in.

I would like the upward trajectory to continue for Klopps reds, and in order to achieve that, we need a team that Compete on all fronts. Aside for the usual wants (PL and CL) I'd quite like to see us win the FA Cup next season.

Last edited:

tesh

TIA New Signing
Not sure if trolling. If so, very poor attempt young lad.
Yes, i admit there was an element of trolling but it is sort of deserved and are you sure you weren't trolling also - even just a little bit?

You state:
"I know it’s fun to post highlights clips, but let’s also remember Thiago has always played alongside world class players, in a side that has dominated their domestic league, both in Spain and Germany. "

The implication/inference (never sure which) is that he wont be such a great player in a lesser midfield. Is our midfield so inferior, to the midfields he has played in, that he wont play as well for us??? If you accept that our midfield is (at least) pretty good, and that his highlight reel is pleasing to the eye, then he should do just fine for us.

As to giving Curtis Jones a "go", I'm all for that in the cups and the occasional outing here and there in CL and PL. However he still needs to learn the trade and is far from the finished product. Maybe with a couple of more seasons under his belt he will be ready but he for sure isn't yet.

For me the primary reason to get Thiago (or similar) in is to build the (serial) champions mentality within the group and for players such as Curtis Jones to learn from. He has been part of (serial) league winning squads (in major leagues) for a long time and for our current group to get any further insight into that mentality can only be an advantage in their development. Even John Barnes mentioned that for this side to be considered to be a great side, it needs to repeat, that there has to be an expectation of winning and not just hope. A Thiago type pf player, or indeed Thiagio himself, seems to ticks all of the boxes to move us to the next level - both in terms of the skill set and, as importantly, in mind set.

As to "Not sure if trolling. If so, very poor attempt young lad." - I always take it as a complement if I appear youthful in someones eye, so thank-you.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
No way Thiago being purchased would have any impact on Jones, they're very different players. Thiago is a combative, deep-lying, playmaker or an extremely creative, defensive mid. He'd be a 6, a double pivot CM or the more defensive 8 in Klopps three man midfield. Jones is a left-sided, attacking mid tucked in on the left side of attack, a number 10 or the more attacking number 8/10 hybrid in Klopps midfield. They might both compete for playing time with Keita maybe who could do both 8 roles but they wouldn't compete with each other directly.

lfc.8

THIAGO BEFORE EXIT: LIVERPOOL YES OR NO?

Bayern's Thiago will probably leave the club at the end of the season and "is looking for a new challenge again". Karl-Heinz Rummenigge had also confirmed this at the press conference for the Sane performance. Is the Spaniard drawn to Liverpool FC ? For Sky Reporter Marc Behrenbeck , the situation is currently difficult to assess, as Liverpool and Thiago are still far away. However, staying with the German record champions seems unlikely.

In the exclusive interview with the master, with Reds-Coch Jürgen Klopp , he was also asked about the rumours: "I have no idea who will play for me next year, there is nothing to say at the moment. Thiago Alcantara is a great player, but also a Bayern Munich player. That’s actually all there is to say. There’s nothing to say! "

Dutch

Ad-free Member
There must be some truth in the Tiago to Liverpool otherwise Klopp would have said We have no interest in him like he has done in the past with other players who’s names where floating around

Kopstar

★★★★★★

Only problem with this is that, as far as I understand, there is no equivalent to the PL's formal "transfer request" in Germany.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member

Only problem with this is that, as far as I understand, there is no equivalent to the PL's formal "transfer request" in Germany.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story? :unsure:

CymruRed

Ad-free Member

Maybe he's forcing there hand,trying to get them to lower the price so he can join us,Bayern have said he won't be leaving on a free next year and want to sell him ASAP for cash.If he's telling them he wants a transfer to us only or he'll stay another year,surely they have to drop the fee now or get nothing next summer.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Maybe he's forcing there hand,trying to get them to lower the price so he can join us,Bayern have said he won't be leaving on a free next year and want to sell him ASAP for cash.If he's telling them he wants a transfer to us only or he'll stay another year,surely they have to drop the fee now or get nothing next summer.
Sure, but he can just state that's his position. There's no such thing as an "official transfer request" in Germany. I'm sure players can and do request transfers all the time in Germany but those requests, however formally dressed up, have no legal affect (unlike in the PL).

rab

Nothing is going to happen until their CL participation is complete now anyway so Klopp and Edwards have some time to weigh things up.

Still think it's dependent on Gini and the longer that goes unresolved the more likely it is I think he might be off.

vjcpatriot

Um, yeah, he’s pretty good. Although Naby’s really been coming on well since the Covid break, I can see where what the Boss and others might be thinking in terms of opposing teams trying more and more to take away our wide play from the full backs, that the way forward is to further increase our creativity through the middle.

Thiago looks like a special player. The one thing this midfield lacks is that creativity to unlock the 'parked bus' teams. And that tactic will only continue because of the potency and reputation of Liverpool's attack. I would welcome him to LFC with open arms if this signing happens. (y)

iftikhar

Frankly, I don't like Thiago putting pressure (transfer request), if it's true. He should let Liverpool and Munich sort things out.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Klopp had an interview with Sky in Germany and I think he would have reacted differently if there would be nothing in the Thiago link.

Said something like 'he is a good player but not ours. We usually don’t talk about players from other clubs. I don’t know who will play for me next season at this point. I’ve already said too much about this'

Reminded me of his reaction when it was reported we will sign Minamino but it was not yet official.

I was convinced Thiago or Bayern are using our name until now but Klopps reaction convinced me that we will sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.