Thiago Alcantara (CM) Bayern Munich

MarcusBerglund

I will be pleased if this transfer does not happen.

Our midfield looks really solid and we have envious depth in midfield.
Fabinho - Henderson - Wijnaldum have proved for the last 2 seasons that they are good enough.

People often talking about Tiago coming for Gini and I really don't understand why.

Gini is one of the most reliable members of our squad. He is always 100% fit, has a great stamina, can cover several positions /including central defender vs. Brighton and central forward vs. Barcelona/ and is one of the leaders of our team, right behind Hendo and Virgil.
And Gini has the important habbit of scoring goals in important games for the club.

For example I remember in Klopp's second season Wijnaldum scored the decisive goal in the last game vs. stubborn Boro.Scored the winner vs. Man City in his debut season. He scored a hugely important goal against Rome in the 1/2 finals of the CL. Scored twice vs. Barcelona and was one of the reasons we lifted the trophy and by the way on the way to Madrid he played twice vs. Tiago's Bayern and he dominated on the field. He scored the first goal vs. Atletico Madrid this season and was probably our best player on the pitch.

I really can't see the logic in paying 25-30 mln. euro and huge wages for Tiago, while we have the better player at LFC, the club must sign Gini for the next 3-4 years and that's it.

And we still have Milner, Keita, AOC and Jones as options in midfield. Naby is slowly finding his feet and the club spent 50 mln. pounds for a player who is entering his best years. And yes Keita and AOC have their own injury problems, but Tiago is in the same boat.
For example the brazlian has never started more then 26 games in 7 seasons in Munich. And he has played 30 games a season only once for his entire career.

Just compare that with Wijnaldum. Since he signed fo us /4 full seasons/ only once he started less than 30 games per season /2017/2018/. In every other season his league starts are - 33, 32 and 34 /this season, possibly making them 35/. He also started 36 from 38 possible games for Newcastle.
That season he had 27 starts and that is still more then Tiago in his whole career. Tiago started most in 2016/2017 and 2018/2019 - 26 starts.

So, I will say my own opinion - Nein, danke to Tiago from Bayern Munich.

Red Armada

TIA Regular

Fabinho - Henderson - Wijnaldum have proved for the last 2 seasons that they are good enough.

People often talking about Tiago coming for Gini and I really don't understand why.

Gini is one of the most reliable members of our squad. He is always 100% fit, has a great stamina, can cover several positions /including central defender vs. Brighton and central forward vs. Barcelona/ and is one of the leaders of our team, right behind Hendo and Virgil.
And Gini has the important habbit of scoring goals in important games for the club.

For example I remember in Klopp's second season Wijnaldum scored the decisive goal in the last game vs. stubborn Boro.Scored the winner vs. Man City in his debut season. He scored a hugely important goal against Rome in the 1/2 finals of the CL. Scored twice vs. Barcelona and was one of the reasons we lifted the trophy and by the way on the way to Madrid he played twice vs. Tiago's Bayern and he dominated on the field. He scored the first goal vs. Atletico Madrid this season and was probably our best player on the pitch.

I really can't see the logic in paying 25-30 mln. euro and huge wages for Tiago, while we have the better player at LFC, the club must sign Gini for the next 3-4 years and that's it.

And we still have Milner, Keita, AOC and Jones as options in midfield. Naby is slowly finding his feet and the club spent 50 mln. pounds for a player who is entering his best years. And yes Keita and AOC have their own injury problems, but Tiago is in the same boat.
For example the brazlian has never started more then 26 games in 7 seasons in Munich. And he has played 30 games a season only once for his entire career.

Just compare that with Wijnaldum. Since he signed fo us /4 full seasons/ only once he started less than 30 games per season /2017/2018/. In every other season his league starts are - 33, 32 and 34 /this season, possibly making them 35/. He also started 36 from 38 possible games for Newcastle.
That season he had 27 starts and that is still more then Tiago in his whole career. Tiago started most in 2016/2017 and 2018/2019 - 26 starts.

It's not as if the club is looking to offload Wijnaldum for Thiago. We're still trying to renew his contract. Given the choice between the two, I'd also go with Wijnaldum without a second thought. However, if Wijnaldum does want to leave, who is a better replacement than Thiago?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Why are you trying to make this Thiago v Wijnaldum? Gini has 12 months left and its very possible behind the scenes that he has said thats it, his time here is done after that. He'd have won all and been here a long Time. Regardless they can easily play in the same midfield anyway.

iftikhar

It's not that we are actively trying to off load Wijnaldum and trying to bring Thiago as his replacement.

Lallana has already left, Milner is 34, Curtis is still very young and Naby & AOC struggled with fitness. All these put together, the midfield can do with some strengthening.

Yes, Thiago has his issues with fitness too. But with him, Naby and AOC; we will have options without a drop in the quality.

MarcusBerglund

Why are you trying to make this Thiago v Wijnaldum? Gini has 12 months left and its very possible behind the scenes that he has said thats it, his time here is done after that. He'd have won all and been here a long Time. Regardless they can easily play in the same midfield anyway.
I wrote exactly ''People often talking about Tiago coming for Gini and I really don't understand why.''
If you scroll back through the pages of this thread, you will know why. There are enough examples in this thread?

MarcusBerglund

It's not as if the club is looking to offload Wijnaldum for Thiago. We're still trying to renew his contract. Given the choice between the two, I'd also go with Wijnaldum without a second thought. However, if Wijnaldum does want to leave, who is a better replacement than Thiago?
I strongly hope that the club will renew Gini's contract and as I wtrote this must be the priority.

If Gini wants to leave I think that we have the best possible solution at the club - Naby Keita. 25 years old, a player who was the best midfielder in Germany when we signed him for 50 mln. pounds and someone who show promising signs this season. I also hear that he finally improved his English /something that was vital from the start of his career at out club/ and Klopp really likes him as a player.

If we are looking for a solution outside of the club I'd like LFC to sign a younger and fitter player - van de Beek /Ajax/, Camavinga /Rennes/, Zakaria /Gladbach/, Bennacer /Milan/, Guendouzi /Arsenal/, Aouar /Lyon/ etc.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I strongly hope that the club will renew Gini's contract and as I wtrote this must be the priority.

If Gini wants to leave I think that we have the best possible solution at the club - Naby Keita. 25 years old, a player who was the best midfielder in Germany* when we signed him for 50 mln. pounds and someone who show promising signs this season. I also hear that he finally improved his English /something that was vital from the start of his career at out club/ and Klopp really likes him as a player.

If we are looking for a solution outside of the club I'd like LFC to sign a younger and fitter player - van de Beek /Ajax/, Camavinga /Rennes/, Zakaria /Gladbach/, Bennacer /Milan/, Guendouzi /Arsenal/, Aouar /Lyon/ etc.
*2nd best as per Klopp at the time, best? Thiago! Yet again as per Klopp!

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I wrote exactly ''People often talking about Tiago coming for Gini and I really don't understand why.''
If you scroll back through the pages of this thread, you will know why. There are enough examples in this thread?
I am sure there are more examples of people saying otherwise in this thread.

lfc.8

Midfield certainly can improve. We have a number of options but the quality isn't always there. Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Keita i like for all varying reasons. Milner is ok, Oxlade-Chamberlain is ok but not really at the desired level, Jones is just starting out.

Mentioned in June in the 'Who would you buy?' thread: 'Ideally we'd sign some akin to Modric in his peak (world class) or De Bruyne but that's not viable'. Thiago is a similar sort of player to Modric and would fit the bill. He would be a welcome addition and help control games better. Offers that technical quality, press resistant and is always looking up with a great pass.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Whether Gini signs a new deal or not, I think we really need a playmaker. If Thiago is avaiable for a reasonable fee and wage, I'd welcome him with open arms.

Milner has one more season with us (maybe) and he also plays left back, Lallana is gone, Curtis Jones is way too young. We will have Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, Keita and Ox. There's enough space for someone like Thiago, no doubt about that.

Also, there's a reason why (if we were to believe that we are interested in him) Klopp wants Thiago: he is better than any other playmaker avaiable in our squad at this moment. People can have doubts about how well he could adapt to the league, how well he could defend, but not about his playmaking skills. There are not that many as good as him in the world in his position. He will 100% improve our squad. I doubt we could find a £25m player who's world class like him and exactly what we need in our midfield.

Lastly, I really struggle to understand why we compare different players. Gini is amazing at defending and pressing. Thiago is amazing at playmaking and transitions. Gini is not good at playmaking or transitions, but Thiago is not amazing at defending and can't press for that long. They are very, very different players.

Thiago could fit City or Barcelona better than Gini. Gini could fit Liverpool or Juventus better than Thiago. Now, if he comes, it's all about how Klopp would make Thiago a great fit for us (just like he did for 90% of the players he's brought).

lfc.8

Klopp did work with Gundogan at Dortmund who was a top player, similar sort of player to Thiago as well. There's scope for this.

Last edited:

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I heard a rumour about Thiago aswell,i kept quiet cos it's via a Carlsberg rep attatched to the club,he said Thiago likes a Carlsberg but only as a shandy with a dash of lime during the season,which he found out by over hearing bar staff talking at Anfield about it, whilest putting Carlsberg rubbish in a skip.Turns out the rep was a Carlsberg drinking pisshead tramp,who just necked a tray of new limited champions edition Carlsbergs,i asked him if he knew if we were going to sign him,to which he replied,who the fuck is Thiago,who are you, you cunt fuck off,then pissed himself.He didn't say we weren't going to sign him,so it might happen.#LFC #IfCarlsbergDidTransferRumours.

Last edited:

Alright Now

I heard a rumour about Thiago aswell,i kept quiet cos it's via a Carlsberg rep attatched to the club,he said Thiago likes a Carlsberg but only as a shandy with a dash of lime during the season,which he found out by over hearing bar staff talking at Anfield about it, whilest putting Carlsberg rubbish in a skip.Turns out the rep was a Carlsberg drinking pisshead tramp,who just necked a tray of new limited champions edition Carlsbergs,i asked him if he knew if we were going to sign him,to which he replied,who the fuck is Thiago,who are you, you cunt fuck off,then pissed himself.He didn't say we weren't going to sign him,so it might happen.
What a post. What a post! Astonishing quality! I have read it three times and every time I find more in it. Well done.

Red Spud

Thiago is one of the best players in the world in his position, at 29 is probably around his peak right now and is available for way below market value due to only having 1 year left on his contract.

Makes much more sense to sign him for the rumored fee than paying more money for a worse player like those you mention. I wouldn't put any of those you mention in the same bracket as Thiago, some good young players with world class potential sure but I wouldn't expect any of them to have the instant impact that Thiago potentially could.

Also with Lallana definitely leaving plus Milner and Gini potentially moving on in another 12 months (hopefully not) we could do much worse than sign a midfielder with the experience and quality that Thiago undoubtedly has.

If it doesn't happen, so be it, but I can't get my head around you actively hoping we don't go out and sign a proven world class player and instead hope for even Gundouzi who for me would rank lower than Curtis Jones in our squad.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
To add onto that, according to a Q'n'A Pearce did on the athletic he hinted at the signing and said the nike kit release date is the 4th of August. Wonder what the odds are on announcing a Nike athlete being signed on the same day as the kit release?
Didn't someone say any deal would be announced (if agreed) once Bayern win or go out of the CL and their season is over? (which is well past 4th of August)

jim bouki

In 2012 I played beach soccer in Barcelona with a Brazilian guy with an afro who claimed he was best mates with Thiago. He was some baller too, and had some fine spanish herb, to which i offered some of my finest dutch herb. Turned out quite a game. So i found my old phone and sent him a random msg after all these years asking if his best bud Thiago is coming to Liverpool. He replied 'yes, my friend have good bud in liverpool.' Sounds like a done deal to me...

PeachesEnRegalia

Epstein didn't kill himself
I heard a rumour about Thiago aswell,i kept quiet cos it's via a Carlsberg rep attatched to the club,he said Thiago likes a Carlsberg but only as a shandy with a dash of lime during the season,which he found out by over hearing bar staff talking at Anfield about it, whilest putting Carlsberg rubbish in a skip.Turns out the rep was a Carlsberg drinking pisshead tramp,who just necked a tray of new limited champions edition Carlsbergs,i asked him if he knew if we were going to sign him,to which he replied,who the fuck is Thiago,who are you, you cunt fuck off,then pissed himself.He didn't say we weren't going to sign him,so it might happen.#LFC #IfCarlsbergDidTransferRumours.
Huge if true.

Ahmed Hussain

Sad guy with no life :(
Brilliant player on his day. Would have loved to sign him a few years back but I feel if he signs it'll interupt positions and formations. None of the starting midfielders deserve to lose their place and some articles are suggesting Fabinho drops to defence meaning most likely Gomez or Fabinho will drop to the bench.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Brilliant player on his day. Would have loved to sign him a few years back but I feel if he signs it'll interupt positions and formations. None of the starting midfielders deserve to lose their place and some articles are suggesting Fabinho drops to defence meaning most likely Gomez or Fabinho will drop to the bench.
With Klopp here that's something we definitely don't need to worry about. He has a plan for every player and nobody plays undeservedly.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Walshy - you gave me shit for posting a BILD link about Havertz to Chelsea (which you oddly then were all over 2 days later) and I’m giving it right back to you. This is possibly the dumbest thing you ever posted. Literally, ever. I cringed. I don’t think people know how this all works, in this case, “SpionKop”. Nike have zero point zero say in any personnel matters...with Liverpool or any football club. It’s pure internet fan driven fiction. And if anyone thinks Nike does, give your head a good wobble or log on to amazon to buy a better fiction novel.

If Thiago signs with Liverpool, the Nike connection means nothing other than coincidence.

LFCFFC

Walshy - you gave me shit for posting a BILD link about Havertz to Chelsea (which you oddly then were all over 2 days later) and I’m giving it right back to you. This is possibly the dumbest thing you ever posted. Literally, ever. I cringed. I don’t think people know how this all works, in this case, “SpionKop”. Nike have zero point zero say in any personnel matters...with Liverpool or any football club. It’s pure internet fan driven fiction. And if anyone thinks Nike does, give your head a good wobble or log on to amazon to buy a better fiction novel.

If Thiago signs with Liverpool, the Nike connection means nothing other than coincidence.
Oof... taking no prisoners!

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems

I don't think that tweet was saying that Nike is driving the deal. I think they just used the Nike connection as a source of information from Thiago. As in, the Nike source heard from Thiago and/or a Liverpool source that this is deal was happening.

That being said, I don't trust random Twitter users even one bit when it comes to transfer rumors. For every one that gets it right, you have a million that are spouting BS.