• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Thiago Alcantara (CM) Bayern Munich

What will Thiago be leaning on?

• Six *real* European Cups.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Crying Owen Hargreaves.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Some moody bit of wall round Melwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The ‘Best Midfield’ song, ready to go again.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • That five million quid Barca now owe us (they don’t)

• Table with a ‘contract’ on it. Prop pen. Awkward smile. Maybe a thumbs up.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • All his new Nike shit.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Pile of discarded ‘FSG OUT’ signs. But steady on, Thiago. Twitter will need them back in a week.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Anfield centre circle, looking like it belongs to him and everyone else can do one.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Gini, in a double contract signing bonanza.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Allianz Arena, lads. It’s not happening.

• Tearful, and visibly agitated (more than usual) Pep

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Gini’s old locker :(

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusBerglund

Thiago is one of the best players in the world in his position, at 29 is probably around his peak right now and is available for way below market value due to only having 1 year left on his contract.

Makes much more sense to sign him for the rumored fee than paying more money for a worse player like those you mention. I wouldn't put any of those you mention in the same bracket as Thiago, some good young players with world class potential sure but I wouldn't expect any of them to have the instant impact that Thiago potentially could.

Also with Lallana definitely leaving plus Milner and Gini potentially moving on in another 12 months (hopefully not) we could do much worse than sign a midfielder with the experience and quality that Thiago undoubtedly has.

If it doesn't happen, so be it, but I can't get my head around you actively hoping we don't go out and sign a proven world class player and instead hope for even Gundouzi who for me would rank lower than Curtis Jones in our squad.
I really can't understand how you decided that Tiago is world class. Can you define world class, please?
Tiago is not even a starter for Spain and he has never been, you know that fact.
It is also interesting how you decided that the players I mentioned are worse than Tiago. No facts, just your opinion. Well, can you explain why a world class player spent the decisive part the season behind Goretzka and Kimmich and his stats this season are worse than both Goretzka and Kimmich? You think that Flick is a fool, because he prefers two young German players instead of 29 years old Alcantara?

Maybe Tiago was playing at a great level 3-4 seasons ago, but to name him world class at the moment is simply not true. World class midfielders for example are - de Bruyne, Kroos, or Busquets.

Players who perform at the highest level for many seasons, playing regularly every season and winning trophies, leading by example amd being important part of their national team.
As I said for his entire career Tiago has never started more than 27 league games and that is simply not good enough, meaning that even when he played most he still missed almost 1/3 of the season.

Tiago is a very good player, but he has never won the champions league with Bayern Mincih /where he was supposed to be important player/ and has never been one of Bayern's leaders. For the last 7-8 years Robben, Ribery, Muller, Lewandowski, Neuer have been their leading players on and off the pitch. Even Xabi Alonso played at a similar level to Tiago at the end of his career. If you don't belive me, just ask our German friends here...

As I said he was never a starter for Spain. If he was a world class player like Xavi, Iniesta ot Busquets, you just know that he would start every game for La Roja. And his injury record will really make the physios busy, if they thought that there will be more rest for them after Lallana, Clyne and Lovren left.

And I don't know why you think that Milner is leaving, he signed a two year contract, plays important part for us and is one of Klopp's most trusted players. Leeds coming back in PL means nothing about Millie. And we will see what is going to happen with Gini,

Last edited:

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Walshy - you gave me shit for posting a BILD link about Havertz to Chelsea (which you oddly then were all over 2 days later) and I’m giving it right back to you. This is possibly the dumbest thing you ever posted. Literally, ever. I cringed. I don’t think people know how this all works, in this case, “SpionKop”. Nike have zero point zero say in any personnel matters...with Liverpool or any football club. It’s pure internet fan driven fiction. And if anyone thinks Nike does, give your head a good wobble or log on to amazon to buy a better fiction novel.

If Thiago signs with Liverpool, the Nike connection means nothing other than coincidence.
Yeah its far fetched but just thought I'd post it for shits and giggles.

MarcusBerglund

You think Busquets is world class,that's the real joke.
Yep, what a joke.

You know that old Spanish guy Del Bosque, won everything with Real Madrid and Spain?

Former Spain manager Vicente del Bosque has picked Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets as the player he would love to be like if he were to come back as another player. He explained during an interview with Cadena SER: "If I had to reincarnate as another footballer it would be Busquets again.

"I have a tendency to value what the midfielders do: Makelele, Xabi Alonso," the tactician added.

You probably heard about Guardiola, Messi and Xavi. Are they also joking or you claim thta you know more about football than them?

Here is what they said about Busquets:

I remember what Messi told me," Guardiola told Universo Valdano (via Goal). "After two or three days of training with him, he came to me and said: 'I like this one.' And I said: 'When there is trouble, he will be there.' "He does everything for those around him."

Messi's four words couldn't be any more to the point, but what an endorsement for Busquets from the Manchester City manager, too. The Argentine magician is not the only Barça legend to show praise for the Spaniard.

"The first time Pep brought Sergio Busquets to train with us, I realised we were facing a special player," Xavi said. "But none of us had the foresight to anticipate that Busquets was going to develop into the best midfielder in the world as he is today."

And finally list of honours won by Busquets:

Club
Barcelona
International

Xavi and Busquets with the Henri Delaunay Trophy after Spain won Euro 2012
Spain

Individual[edit]

I guess that Guardiola and Del Bosque's words are also joke for you. You'd better stop, because you are embarassing yourself.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Yep, what a joke.

You know that old Spanish guy Del Bosque, won everything with Real Madrid and Spain?

Former Spain manager Vicente del Bosque has picked Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets as the player he would love to be like if he were to come back as another player. He explained during an interview with Cadena SER: "If I had to reincarnate as another footballer it would be Busquets again.

"I have a tendency to value what the midfielders do: Makelele, Xabi Alonso," the tactician added.

You probably heard about Guardiola, Messi and Xavi. Are they also joking or you claim thta you know more about football than them?

Here is what they said about Busquets:

I remember what Messi told me," Guardiola told Universo Valdano (via Goal). "After two or three days of training with him, he came to me and said: 'I like this one.' And I said: 'When there is trouble, he will be there.' "He does everything for those around him."

Messi's four words couldn't be any more to the point, but what an endorsement for Busquets from the Manchester City manager, too. The Argentine magician is not the only Barça legend to show praise for the Spaniard.

"The first time Pep brought Sergio Busquets to train with us, I realised we were facing a special player," Xavi said. "But none of us had the foresight to anticipate that Busquets was going to develop into the best midfielder in the world as he is today."

And finally list of honours won by Busquets:

Club
Barcelona
International

Xavi and Busquets with the Henri Delaunay Trophy after Spain won Euro 2012
Spain

Individual[edit]

I guess that Guardiola and Del Bosque's words are also joke for you. You'd better stop, because you are embarassing yourself.
They were probably drunk.

Herb

As I said he was never a starter for Spain. If he was a world class player like Xavi, Iniesta ot Busquets, you just know that he would start every game for La Roja.
Harsh to beat him with that stick given he’s been competing with the likes of the three you mentioned, Alonso, Silva, Saul, Fabregas, Isco, Koke, Cazorla etc. Not many midfielders in world football are getting loads of caps against players like that.

Zoran

Kimmich is pretty close to being world class anyway, he's an absolutely brilliant footballer. No shame in being behind him.
I'd say he is already, comfortably. Rare to see a player of his age who goes from doing a job at right back for a while and slots into midfield (his natural position at the end of the day) like a glove, does a brilliant job in both positions. Thiago's role is a bit different though, so yeah, not really to compare.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'd say he is already, comfortably. Rare to see a player of his age who goes from doing a job at right back for a while and slots into midfield (his natural position at the end of the day) like a glove, does a brilliant job in both positions. Thiago's role is a bit different though, so yeah, not really to compare.
Fabinho says hi.

Red Spud

I really can't understand how you decided that Tiago is world class. Can you define world class, please?
As you asked so nicely, here you go

world-class

adjective
  1. (of a person, thing, or activity) of or among the best in the world.
    "a world-class player"

Tiago is not even a starter for Spain and he has never been, you know that fact.
It is also interesting how you decided that the players I mentioned are worse than Tiago. No facts, just your opinion. Well, can you explain why a world class player spent the decisive part the season behind Goretzka and Kimmich and his stats this season are worse than both Goretzka and Kimmich? You think that Flick is a fool, because he prefers two young German players instead of 29 years old Alcantara?

Maybe Tiago was playing at a great level 3-4 seasons ago, but to name him world class at the moment is simply not true. World class midfielders for example are - de Bruyne, Kroos, or Busquets.

Players who perform at the highest level for many seasons, playing regularly every season and winning trophies, leading by example amd being important part of their national team.
As I said for his entire career Tiago has never started more than 27 league games and that is simply not good enough, meaning that even when he played most he still missed almost 1/3 of the season.

Tiago is a very good player, but he has never won the champions league with Bayern Mincih /where he was supposed to be important player/ and has never been one of Bayern's leaders. For the last 7-8 years Robben, Ribery, Muller, Lewandowski, Neuer have been their leading players on and off the pitch. Even Xabi Alonso played at a similar level to Tiago at the end of his career. If you don't belive me, just ask our German friends here...

As I said he was never a starter for Spain. If he was a world class player like Xavi, Iniesta ot Busquets, you just know that he would start every game for La Roja. And his injury record will really make the physios busy, if they thought that there will be more rest for them after Lallana, Clyne and Lovren left.

And I don't know why you think that Milner is leaving, he signed a two year contract, plays important part for us and is one of Klopp's most trusted players. Leeds coming back in PL means nothing about Millie. And we will see what is going to happen with Gini,
Your point about lack of Spanish caps has been covered already, Spain have had a load of quality CM's over the past decade so the fact he "only" picked up 37 caps doesn't really mean very much given the competition. Alan Hansen got 26 caps for Scotland doesn't mean he wasn't a fantastic player.

As for Thiago being behind Kimmich and Goretzka this season, this is just plain wrong. Kimmich is the main man in the middle for Bayern and Thiago / Goretzka compete to play alongside him. Thiago has more starts in the league than Goretzka (20 vs 17) more minutes played in the league (1772 vs 1513) and in Europe (5 starts, 495 mins vs 2 starts , 176 mins) as per whoscored.com

Kimmich is absolutely amazing btw but we can't sign him for 30 mil unfortunately.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Not getting excited yet as Falk really does seem to be more a mouthpiece for agents and clubs intentions than an actual journalist digging up the truth. For what its worth though my understanding is clubs have a lot of discussions, hypothetical ones, regarding/around price to feel each other out before making formal bids. By the time a bid actually happens its one of two things. 1 the potential buying club makes a formal offer for what they've been led to understand the selling club are willing to accept. Or 2 they call the selling clubs bluff by formally offering lower than they've been led to believe would be accepted because they are of the opinion it will take less than stated to get the deal done. So the fact Bayern are publicly letting it known what it will take doesn't mean discussions aren't happening or that a bid would have had to have been formally made for their to be truth to all this.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
So it's gone from bayern wanting 40m to wanting 30m without us even putting in a bid yet. At this rate we might even get him for free even though there's still a year left on his contract.
That's something that none of us will know in reality.

For all we know, this is all but done and dusted behind closed doors, as it should be.

Until Bayern's season comes to a close, Alcantara will be playing his part in their CL run in. Once they win it/are knocked out, I'd expect this to be completed quicktime.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Surely TAA is the closest comparison in our squad. It's not inconceivable that if Williams develops into a good enough rb that Trent could move into midfield.
Could but Fabinho has already. He was a young top talent, with plenty of top clubs interested, as a right back and up till recently still played that position for Brazil. Then he moved into midfield and he's one of the top DMs/CMs on the planet now.

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
I still feel this would be like a luxury buy. Surely LB, CB and more importantly a good forward are bigger priorities, and budget is not exactly huge apparently. Only way this makes sense to me is if Gini wants to go.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Could but Fabinho has already. He was a young top talent, with plenty of top clubs interested, as a right back and up till recently still played that position for Brazil. Then he moved into midfield and he's one of the top DMs/CMs on the planet now.
I dont think it is all that uncommon for full backs to switch to central midfield and play equally well.

Status
Not open for further replies.