• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Thiago Alcantara (CM) Bayern Munich

What will Thiago be leaning on?

• Six *real* European Cups.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Crying Owen Hargreaves.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Some moody bit of wall round Melwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The ‘Best Midfield’ song, ready to go again.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • That five million quid Barca now owe us (they don’t)

• Table with a ‘contract’ on it. Prop pen. Awkward smile. Maybe a thumbs up.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • All his new Nike shit.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Pile of discarded ‘FSG OUT’ signs. But steady on, Thiago. Twitter will need them back in a week.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Anfield centre circle, looking like it belongs to him and everyone else can do one.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Gini, in a double contract signing bonanza.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Allianz Arena, lads. It’s not happening.

• Tearful, and visibly agitated (more than usual) Pep

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Gini’s old locker :(

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cologne-Liverpool

As for Thiago being behind Kimmich and Goretzka this season, this is just plain wrong. Kimmich is the main man in the middle for Bayern and Thiago / Goretzka compete to play alongside him. Thiago has more starts in the league than Goretzka (20 vs 17) more minutes played in the league (1772 vs 1513) and in Europe (5 starts, 495 mins vs 2 starts , 176 mins) as per whoscored.com

Kimmich is absolutely amazing btw but we can't sign him for 30 mil unfortunately.
Read an interesting stat comparison a few weeks ago, Thiago vs Kimmich/Goretzka. Overall Thiago was better (statistically) in the vast majority of categories than those two if I remember correctly - except for key passes, assists and goals.

Goretzka was injured at the beginning of the season, Thiago at the end, Kimmich on the other hand is practically never injured - which is slightly annoying tbh (;)).

Red Spud

Read an interesting stat comparison a few weeks ago, Thiago vs Kimmich/Goretzka. Overall Thiago was better (statistically) in the vast majority of categories than those two if I remember correctly - except for key passes, assists and goals.
Yeah I've been reading up on him myself since we were linked with him, he is a very unique player in the sense he has elite defensive stats (tackles/interceptions) combined with elite dribbling and passing. He compares very favourably with our midfielders too, can definitely him making an impact if we get this deal done.

Strange thing is like you say it hasn't translated into key passes and assists this season (zero assists in the league ) however previous seasons form suggests the lack of assists this year is an outlier. Winaldum without an assist for 2 seasons in the league now btw, not that I want to see him leave but if he decides not to stay then hard to find a better replacement for the price quoted. Even if he stays Thiago is well worth signing as he would bring a different option to our squad, hopefully we can get it done.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Safe to say Chelsea are going hard for a keeper. Already linked with Oblak, Dean Henderson, and Nick Pope. This morning I read Ajax and Cameroon keeper Andre Onana.

Also said Willian has 5 offers to choose from: 2 from Prem, 2 from Europe, and 1 from MLS.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Safe to say Chelsea are going hard for a keeper. Already linked with Oblak, Dean Henderson, and Nick Pope. This morning I read Ajax and Cameroon keeper Andre Onana.

Also said Willian has 5 offers to choose from: 2 from Prem, 2 from Europe, and 1 from MLS.
Leverkeusen are reportedly trying to sign the Ajax keeper too

Neukolln

Ad-free Member

Goretzka was injured at the beginning of the season, Thiago at the end, Kimmich on the other hand is practically never injured - which is slightly annoying tbh (;)).
I am a pretty big fan of Goretzka. Very much a player in the Gini mold: work rate box to box, professionalism, great teammate, just with a more natural offensive touch to pick a pass and score. When he was out of contract we were briefly linked to him. When the photo surfaced of him cheering us on in Champs League I thought we might have a legit chance. I will never say anything nice about Bayern but I will always be a fan of Goretzka’s game.

Cologne-Liverpool

I am a pretty big fan of Goretzka. Very much a player in the Gini mold: work rate box to box, professionalism, great teammate, just with a more natural offensive touch to pick a pass and score. When he was out of contract we were briefly linked to him. When the photo surfaced of him cheering us on in Champs League I thought we might have a legit chance. I will never say anything nice about Bayern but I will always be a fan of Goretzka’s game.
Yeah, me too, really wanted him to sign when he was briefly linked with us, although I kinda knew Bayern was more likely - even wrote a post about it at the time which ended up in the Hall of Fame thread and that I'm now slightly embarassed about...:LOL:

Limiescouse

He would make sense for them. It rarely hurts them in France, but their midfield is pretty unbalanced these days. It's either a couple of cloggers, or some combinations of forwards being shoe horned into a midfield role (that they can get with because few teams in France can hurt them)

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
He would make sense for them. It rarely hurts them in France, but their midfield is pretty unbalanced these days. It's other a couple of cloggers, or some combinations of forwards being shoe horned into a midfield role (that they can get with because few teams in France can hurt them)
Has Verratti really dropped off? I haven't watched them for ages apart from the occasional Champions League game.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Rumour circulating that PSG have made a bid of 30 million euros for Alcantara
This is the kind of move I've expected all along for this player. It makes sense. LFC and the PL would have been a hell of a challenge for him, this here is an efficient way for him to take advantage of his big reputation, to earn a bumper contract, and to see out his career in an easy league with a lot of guaranteed trophies. It's the natural way for him, and that's where he'll go to.

Dave-D

This is the kind of move I've expected all along for this player. It makes sense. LFC and the PL would have been a hell of a challenge for him, this here is an efficient way for him to take advantage of his big reputation, to earn a bumper contract, and to see out his career in an easy league with a lot of guaranteed trophies. It's the natural way for him, and that's where he'll go to.
Depends if the wants the easy route or if he wants to play EPL

Status
Not open for further replies.