• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Thiago Alcantara (CM) Bayern Munich

What will Thiago be leaning on?

• Six *real* European Cups.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Crying Owen Hargreaves.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Some moody bit of wall round Melwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The ‘Best Midfield’ song, ready to go again.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • That five million quid Barca now owe us (they don’t)

• Table with a ‘contract’ on it. Prop pen. Awkward smile. Maybe a thumbs up.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • All his new Nike shit.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Pile of discarded ‘FSG OUT’ signs. But steady on, Thiago. Twitter will need them back in a week.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Anfield centre circle, looking like it belongs to him and everyone else can do one.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Gini, in a double contract signing bonanza.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Allianz Arena, lads. It’s not happening.

• Tearful, and visibly agitated (more than usual) Pep

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Gini’s old locker :(

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
This is the kind of move I've expected all along for this player. It makes sense. LFC and the PL would have been a hell of a challenge for him, this here is an efficient way for him to take advantage of his big reputation, to earn a bumper contract, and to see out his career in an easy league with a lot of guaranteed trophies. It's the natural way for him, and that's where he'll go to.
But if you were a player surely thinking of your playing legacy comes into it? Hes 29, he could come here, win a few trophies, and still be "young" enough for the French or Italian leagues to go win a few more in his early/mid 30s. Personally if I was a player with La Lisa's and Bundesliga trophies to my name I'd be thinking adding Premier League and Serie A would be best way of finishing it off now he has the chance. Fuck the French League its nothing compared to the other 4.

Dave-D

Yup. I'd draw my hat to him if he chose the hard way and came to us. But I don't expect it to be honest. PSG and the French league are definitely the easier way for him.
Definitely would show he’s got the character Klopp looks for in a player if he turns them down and says it’s Liverpool or I stay. You forgot the money as well

Limiescouse

He'd earn a lot more and Paris is a great city, even more so when you have money. I'd like to think I'd choose the right sporting option if I was in his shoes, but I'm honestly not sure I would. Marvin Hagler's comment about not sleeping in silk PJs is appropriate here, and it's why we are more inclined to go for players who havent yet quite made it. It's a lot harder to convince a guy to come here and work his arse off when he already has the money to sleep in a new pair of silk PJs every night.

Im not saying we wont get him, and Im not even convinced on the link, but Im just saying I get the attraction of PSG. And from a sporting perspective he is a good fit there.

Last edited:

lfc.8

Thiago is a top player. It shouldn't be unexpected to have a free reign for such a player. The club needs to be willing to offer top wages for such players as well. Let's see what the club decides to do.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
It feels like the club has spent the last several months going to great lengths to deny rumors of signings and Klopp has expressed many times that we won't be able to make major bids this summer.

We watch Werner slip by.
No evident moves for Sancho or Havertz.
Now we've heard nothing from the Liverpool insiders that we're in on Thiago.

All of these links and rumors seem to be coming out of Germany.

I truly believe that these rumors are being leaked by those players or their agents. And not because they're using us. I truly think they want us to bid for them. We're the most attractive club in the world at the moment.

But maybe the club actually means what it's been saying - no major signings are to be expected.

I hope not. Other clubs are coming for us next year. We could use some reinforcements.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think it depends on what we class as a major signing. Most likely we will look to sign players once we have cleared room in the squad - so back up CB & LB are probably the only targets to expect for now.

A forward late on in the window if Shaq and Origi leave.

GaryBarlow99

I think it depends on what we class as a major signing. Most likely we will look to sign players once we have cleared room in the squad - so back up CB & LB are probably the only targets to expect for now.

A forward late on in the window if Shaq and Origi leave.
I understand our stance on this but what if all the best forwards available have gone somewhere else? Also not to mention the price might be higher later in the window and clubs might be reluctant to sell as they will have less time to replace them.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I understand our stance on this but what if all the best forwards available have gone somewhere else? Also not to mention the price might be higher later in the window and clubs might be reluctant to sell as they will have less time to replace them.
And we always have liked to try and bring our players in early to get more training with Klopp during preseason.

tesh

TIA New Signing
And we always have liked to try and bring our players in early to get more training with Klopp during preseason.
Do any of the rules (pertaining to transfers) necessarily apply this year? With the covid-19 and after having won the big one, should there/will there be a new rule book?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Do any of the rules (pertaining to transfers) necessarily apply this year? With the covid-19 and after having won the big one, should there/will there be a new rule book?
I wouldn't call it a rule but the longer a player has to work with Klopp before they play games the better, generally, that things go once they start playing games that matter. One thing to keep in mind though is some players haven't needed to change their games much to fit in, particularly the wide forwards in Salah and Mane (although best example is VvD) and part of that is the change for those type of wingers was a more natural one. More freedom to get higher up the litch and attack the opposition goal. So I've less concerns regarding a wide forward. I've also got a feeling Thiago would be a VvD style duck to water but that may be wrong of me as midfield is the area that's usually required the most adaptation.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
The french leagues a joke thats certainly true but as a player, you know youve got an easy route to a league trophy and champions league football every year while playing with mbappe, neymar and anyone else they buy so it would still be an attractive proposition. Oh and the money of course. I doubt were even in for him anyway given his age so I wouldnt sweat it

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The french leagues a joke thats certainly true but as a player, you know youve got an easy route to a league trophy and champions league football every year while playing with mbappe, neymar and anyone else they buy so it would still be an attractive proposition. Oh and the money of course. I doubt were even in for him anyway given his age so I wouldnt sweat it
Not all trophies are created equally. You're not going to look back on a career and feel as proud of the French as you are over the Spanish and German ones. The bigger and more respected the league the more kudos that goes with winning it.

Limiescouse

That has been true, but we have now moved into a different era. For most of Klopp's tenure he has been building a team and that meant big signings like Gini, Mane, Salah were expected to challenge for spots from day 1 and so a full pre-season was required to give them that shot. We're now in a place where we are trying to supplement the best side in the world, and we are seemingly not doing that by trying to bring in superstars with the profile of a player expected to get games from day 1. Under those circumstance, it doesn't matter whether he gets a full pre-season or 1 day, he's going to have to spend weeks to months building up a case to replace an established player anyway.

It is always better to get your targets early, but the imperative is different now. And if we're fine with what we have, but are monitoring some situations that may provide an opportunistic possibilities, then you bide your time and monitor that/those situations.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
They are nice to have, not must haves for the club so we will just work with what we have. Selling players isnt just about raising cash (although that is a major part of it) but also in managing squad numbers and expectations. We have some money put to one side, in case of a big emergency. We have some money from the Lovren sale and look to be wanting to pay the around the same for his replacement. Presumably, we are not looking to spend much for left back cover either.

If Sancho was a must have for example, i would think we would work to bring him in ASAP with a plan for replacing the pot of money we have from sales later. Likewise, if we suddenly discovered a clause in Sancho's contract that he was available for £40m this summer, even if we didnt think he was a must have, i think we would find a way to make that happen from funds we have because at that price he would be nice to have.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Evening all, although I will admit to being a bit concerned on how our rivals are looking to spend and on players i feel are improvements and full of potential, i trust in Klopp and his team.
last season (i believe) we brought van de berg, Elliott and Adrian. With Minamino (sp) coming in Jan, yet we still improved on teams spending £100m+ on our activity.
I like Thiago, i think he is a wonderful footballer. I agree he maybe outside the FSG model but if Klopp wants him then the board must deliver. Either wau, i am for the time being relaxed ha ha.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Status
Not open for further replies.