• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Thiago Alcantara (CM) Bayern Munich

What will Thiago be leaning on?

• Six *real* European Cups.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Crying Owen Hargreaves.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Some moody bit of wall round Melwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The ‘Best Midfield’ song, ready to go again.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • That five million quid Barca now owe us (they don’t)

• Table with a ‘contract’ on it. Prop pen. Awkward smile. Maybe a thumbs up.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • All his new Nike shit.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Pile of discarded ‘FSG OUT’ signs. But steady on, Thiago. Twitter will need them back in a week.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Anfield centre circle, looking like it belongs to him and everyone else can do one.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Gini, in a double contract signing bonanza.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Allianz Arena, lads. It’s not happening.

• Tearful, and visibly agitated (more than usual) Pep

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Gini’s old locker :(

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
A bit harsh on two great professionals. One could argue that the club had outgrown them, but dont underestimate having squad players who accepts being squad players.

Besides, neither where poor players. So as long as we havent signed anyone in their positions, I would argue they havent been replaced.
Signing a new player isn't the only way to replace outgoing senior players.

-The Analyst-

Yes and therefore there is room in our salary budget for somebody like Thiaga who will improve our midfield instantly.
Combined they where on £170.000 a week. Which isnt that far off the £205.000 Thiago is on.

Sources:

-The Analyst-

Signing a new player isn't the only way to replace outgoing senior players.
I dont necessarily disagree with that statement.

However, in the context of this discussion, the question was clearly related to transfers, and which senior placers we have lost and not replaced in that regard.

Kopstar

★★★★★★

However, in the context of this discussion, the question was clearly related to transfers, and which senior placers we have lost and not replaced in that regard.
We should include Clyne then as well. Really hope the club fill the hole left by his departure.

Surely the issue is which key players have we lost and not replaced? None.

-The Analyst-

We should include Clyne then as well. Really hope the club fill the hole left by his departure.

Surely the issue is which key players have we lost and not replaced? None.
I guess its up to everyones own judgement. But I would say that Lovren and Lallana were involved in 10-15 games in the Premier League, which is 1/3 - 1/2 of the total games. So my point of view is they were part of the title winning side.

Clyne, on the other hand, never got onto the field.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I guess its up to everyones own judgement. But I would say that Lovren and Lallana were involved in 10-15 games in the Premier League, which is 1/3 - 1/2 of the total games. So my point of view is they were part of the title winning side.

Clyne, on the other hand, never got onto the field.
Lovren started 9 league games, Lallana started 3.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I don't necessarily disagree with that statement.

Lallana has been replaced by Jones. Clyne by Williams. We don't need to bring in replacements from outside.

Klopp has already said he wants to bring in a fourth CB this window. That closes in October, so its a bit early to complain about not replacing him isnt it?

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Combined they where on £170.000 a week. Which isnt that far off the £205.000 Thiago is on.

Sources:
Nothing personal but I have zero faith in those sources, IMHO the only ones who really know what players make are the player, his agent and the club, the rest is mostly guesswork.

Alright Now

probably right but there's this one little part of me, and I know I'll get hounded down for this, that would kind of be ok if Gini left and Grujic was brought into the squad.

To me he looks better on the ball but I do understand that Gini does offer that physical strength.

I'll be off to take my pills now.........................
This is a no no

Herb

Plus Fabinho is better than Fernandinho at CB in my opinion. Plus Henderson and (should he arrive) Thiago are both far far better than Rhodri to cover for losing Fabinho/Fernandinho from CM.
I think we all need to be a bit careful about overhyping and expecting too much of Fabinho at CB. If memory serves he’s played two games there for us, against Bayern and Wolves. Did a decent job against a Bayern side who had very little attacking intent on the night and looked a bit crap against Wolves as part of an admittedly weaker cup side. That’s not a huge body of evidence to be absolutely sure he’s going to be as good there as he is in defensive midfield. A lot of our fanbase seem to be assuming it’s going to be an easy transition for him.

-The Analyst-

Lallana has been replaced by Jones. Clyne by Williams. We don't need to bring in replacements from outside.

Klopp has already said he wants to bring in a fourth CB this window. That closes in October, so its a bit early to complain about not replacing him isnt it?
Not complaining. I wont mind if we dont sign anyone. I understand the need to ride out the corona-wave.

My answer was in response to another posters question about who we havent replaced.

Limiescouse

It is only in the context of transfers if you ignore that outgoing players can be replaced from within. It is precisely because transfers are not the only way that the premise these players have not been replaced was rejected.

Last edited:

sgs

My point remains. Why are others not similarly "riding out the coronavirus"?

What is more, its not simply about replacing departures but building on the team in order to stay ahead of the competition. A team i should add, with several key players in their late 20s.

This IMO is a very important junction for the team that goes beyond the upcoming season. There's a reason why we heavily scouted Timo Werner. That reason hasn't disappeared or been ridden off by the coronavirus....

We have been very conservative in the txfer mkt for nearly 2yrs now, but justifiably so....

But this here is a different time and an inflection point of sorts. Losing Werner may not impact this season, but it definitely will impact us later...

There's an immediate need to replace Loveren. But that replacement also impacts Matip who is injured longer and longer...

Our average age in CM is relatively high, as is the frontline. Apart from Minamino, Jones and Keita, those areas remain areas of future need, some of which are best addressed sooner rather than later...

Last edited:

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

Sources:
Players don’t join LFC on 200k per week. It’s taken Mo three years to get to that.

That’s not about penny pinching. It’s about motivation and rewarding performance.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
They are, but some have a different attitude to risk.

Clubs seem to be falling into three groups.

1) cautious, and waiting to see how the market develops.

2) underwritten by a benefactor.

3) taking out loans to fund transfers.

The idea that everyone is spending so why can’t we is massively overstated. The transfer market is really slow and the majority of clubs are doing very little. Where clubs (other than Chelsea and City) are doing stuff, it’s mostly by taking out loans to fund it.

Normally all clubs draw on lines of credit when paying out transfer fees, but do with confidence about future income. Right now it is very difficult to have confidence that that revenue is going to be there in the future.

I know if I found out that FSG had borrowed £100m in this climate to fund 2-3 signings, I’d be very worried indeed.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I do not think we've replaced Lovren. Unless you feel confident about Koumetio, Phillips, VDB, or someone else. With Matip's injury history, and Fabinho essential at CDM, I don't like our depth there at all.

I'm comfortable proceeding with our midfield as-is in terms of depth, but I do believe that Thiago offers us a set of skills we do not currently possess.

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
Because these clubs don't mind getting loans and pilling up debt on the club,without realising or not taking much notice of the fact that fans still can't go into stadiums and may not get full grounds all season,thats a lot of money to lose when you have debts to pay.

What is more, its not simply about replacing departures but building on the team in order to stay ahead of the competition. A team i should add, with several key players in their late 20s.

This IMO is a very important junction for the team that goes beyond the upcoming season. There's a reason why we heavily scouted Timo Werner. That reason hasn't disappeared or been ridden off by the coronavirus....
We are already ahead of the competition,18 and 33 points ahead to be exact.

We have been very conservative in the txfer mkt for nearly 2yrs now, but justifiably so....

But this here is a different time and an inflection point of sorts. Losing Werner may not impact this season, but it definitely will impact us later...

There's an immediate need to replace Loveren. But that replacement also impacts Matip who is injured longer and longer...

Our average age in CM is relatively high, as is the frontline. Apart from Minamino, Jones and Keita, those areas remain areas of future need, some of which are best addressed sooner rather than later...
Who's to say there isn't a transfer plan set in place to deal with changing our squad in the next few seasons and thats the reason we've held back on spending massively the past couple of years (Klopp obviously thought there wasn't much need for it last summer).Also UEFA's 3 year FFP check up of the books is next year,so that could be a reason,we could have been holding back on transfers to make way for a bigger spend after the check up next summer,when the timeline of our squad and age of our players need changing then rather than last year or this summer.

Klopp has spent 3-4 years building his Premiership and CL wining team,all on long term contracts and still have a good few years left in them.He hasn't gone out of his way to change the team drastically,it's a settled,compact unit that just needs tweaks for now but with the way FSG/Klopp and Edwards have worked,no stone has gone unturned,allmost all aspects of the club have been improved and you can guarentee that any future squad building and major changes to our team,will have been looked at and worked out when the time is right.Just because loads of players aren't being bought,it doesn't mean work isn't going on behind the scenes to change the squad when it's really needed and the right player is available.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Who's to say there isn't a transfer plan set in place to deal with changing our squad in the next few seasons and thats the reason we've held back on spending massively the past couple of years (Klopp obviously thought there wasn't much need for it last summer).Also UEFA's 3 year FFP check up of the books is next year,so that could be a reason,we could have been holding back on transfers to make way for a bigger spend after the check up next summer,when the timeline of our squad and age of our players need changing then rather than last year or this summer.
I think without doubt that is the position. The club would probably have liked to have made further additions last summer and this one, but next year is probably the big window (or the first of two or three big windows?). Klopp is due to handover the reins in 3 or 4 years and the club wants to make sure his replacement has a team in place, not one that needs an urgent rebuild.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Before we fleeced Barca with Phil, didn’t Barca keep announcing fake unveilings? And every time Phil wasn’t at the unveiling, his price soared. Gini’s 20m will do the same once Barca starts announcing fake parties.

Only difference is I love Gini.
Not sure Barca will pack the stadium to see Gini do some keepy uppies

boston red

Show me the Mane.
Guess reading between lines don't have to be a Sherlock Holmes to think it could be 1 gini in one gini out , and Ismail;)

sgs

Those clubs also realize that this is a unique period with player sales and prices and that there are opportunities that would not otherwise be there.

Obviously the club has a plan. But equally obvious is the fact that they have scratched or suspended those plans, at least in so far as Werner is concerned.

The point is not about spending recklessly but being too conservative.

And its no longer about getting to the top but about staying on top.

jay90

i'm really not sure why so many people are getting crazy about getting this one done like last week. there really doesn't seem to be a desperate hurry to sign him for me. all indications to me seem that we've convinced the player to come here, so there's no worry about another club coming in for him. and he's on holiday so he wont be in for a while yet regardless of when we pay bayern. so why hurry, when we can gain from waiting?

i actually think the "coronavirus caution" argument has been overblown. i'd even argue klopp has allowed it to be overblown intentionally by talking about it, because it suits our negotiations.
firstly, in negotiation you never "just pay the damn asking price". that sets a bad precedent if nothing else..
or/also, once we sign thiago we'll have foreign trained players that cannot be registered in our squad for next year, which can be used as a bargaining chip for teams to force down the asking price for players like karius, grujic and even origi (if he really is up for sale). i can see a scenario where we'd want that business done and those players out the door before going public on thiago. none of that would affect the asking fee for thiago because bayern are in quite a poor negotiating position if the player wants us and isn't signing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.