• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Thiago Alcantara (CM) Bayern Munich

What will Thiago be leaning on?

• Six *real* European Cups.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Crying Owen Hargreaves.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Some moody bit of wall round Melwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The ‘Best Midfield’ song, ready to go again.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • That five million quid Barca now owe us (they don’t)

• Table with a ‘contract’ on it. Prop pen. Awkward smile. Maybe a thumbs up.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • All his new Nike shit.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Pile of discarded ‘FSG OUT’ signs. But steady on, Thiago. Twitter will need them back in a week.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Anfield centre circle, looking like it belongs to him and everyone else can do one.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Gini, in a double contract signing bonanza.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Allianz Arena, lads. It’s not happening.

• Tearful, and visibly agitated (more than usual) Pep

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Gini’s old locker :(

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noo Noo

I could live with and understand not securing this deal because of financial matters. I've no problem there. Protecting the club must come first.

What would frustrate me is if we lose out through trying to play some trade off or who blinks first game with Barcelona. Simple procrastination on our part would also be frustrating as hell. It feels a little out of character for us to be faffing about to be honest, if we actually are that is.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I could live with and understand not securing this deal because of financial matters. I've no problem there. Protecting the club must come first.

What would frustrate me is if we lose out through trying to play some trade off or who blinks first game with Barcelona. Simple procrastination on our part would also be frustrating as hell. It feels a little out of character for us to be faffing about to be honest, if we actually are that is.
I don’t think we are. I think there is this impression create around football transfers that it’s a lot more cloak and dagger and chess than it actually is. Fans get the version that the media outlets - trying to sell copy or harvest clicks - put out there. A world of clubs being braced for bids, launching daring raids, and swooping for targets. I think the reality is a lot more banal. I think Liverpool, Baryern and Barca all know exactly where they are with Gini and Thiago, and it’s just a matter of waiting for the pieces to line up.

Limiescouse

Who's to say there isn't a transfer plan set in place to deal with changing our squad in the next few seasons and thats the reason we've held back on spending massively the past couple of years (Klopp obviously thought there wasn't much need for it last summer).Also UEFA's 3 year FFP check up of the books is next year,so that could be a reason,we could have been holding back on transfers to make way for a bigger spend after the check up next summer,when the timeline of our squad and age of our players need changing then rather than last year or this summer.
I am 99% sure the checks are annual. The 3 year period just refers to the length of time over which they aggregate the figures. In terms of the season that limits our flexibility for further spending, it is the 18-19 season. By next year, the Phil money will no longer be part of the figures, but the money we spent in response to that (Naby, Fab, Alisson) will be. So, given the way we approach transfers, I can buy that we are keeping our money in pocket in preparation for next summer. However, based on the figures I'd imagine that would be more likely because of who the targets are than because of any additional FFP room we will have by then.

***Awaits @Lowton_Red coming in to pull this apart :oops:

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Given the annulation of the PL's broadcast contract with China (roughly £ 550 m), I don't think that this has legs anymore. fsg will now look to reduce wages, rather than increasing them. Thiago will now go to City, Psg or whatever, but this is dead for us.

Noo Noo

I don’t think we are. I think there is this impression create around football transfers that it’s a lot more cloak and dagger and chess than it actually is. Fans get the version that the media outlets - trying to sell copy or harvest clicks - put out there. A world of clubs being braced for bids, launching daring raids, and swooping for targets. I think the reality is a lot more banal. I think Liverpool, Baryern and Barca all know exactly where they are with Gini and Thiago, and it’s just a matter of waiting for the pieces to line up.
I agree that all the clubs know where everyone sits but it's also a very competitive business. Inviting United to bid on Thiago for example could be seen as a contingency, creating a bidding war or actually both and from Bayerns perspective is completely sensible. From ours it isn't unless there is a genuine reason for the delay.

Another example would be Barcelona holding fire on Gini hoping that we end up in a position where we are forced to sell. That gives them leverage on the price.

I agree it's not cloak and dagger as such but it is a ruthless business and especially now clubs are looking to gain any financial advantage they can

Noo Noo

Given the annulation of the PL's broadcast contract with China (roughly £ 550 m), I don't think that this has legs anymore. fsg will now look to reduce wages, rather than increasing them. Thiago will now go to City, Psg or whatever, but this is dead for us.

Those loans taken by other clubs to keep finances running sound just a little bit more problematic all of a sudden.

unless of course they all knew this was going to happen anyway

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member

:rolleyes:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I am 99% sure the checks are annual. The 3 year period just refers to the length of time over which they aggregate the figures. In terms of the season that limits our flexibility for further spending, it is the 18-19 season. By next year, the Phil money will no longer be part of the figures, but the money we spent in response to that (Naby, Fab, Alisson) will be. So, given the way we approach transfers, I can buy that we are keeping our money in pocket in preparation for next summer. However, based on the figures I'd imagine that would be more likely because of who the targets are than because of any additional FFP room we will have by then.

***Awaits @Lowton_Red coming in to pull this apart :oops:
Summer '18 spending will drop out of the 3-year rolling period for the purpose of reporting on summer' 21 spending.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Where are the stat guys? How many minutes did he play in the last two years and how many did Gini play?

Dutch

Ad-free Member

Think you are right about this.

GermanRed

Just in the league:

Gini 5,683 (83%)
Thiago 4,177 (68%)

% of available minutes as the PL is a 38 game season whereas the Bundesliga is a 34 game season.
If your point is that Thiago has been injured more often than Gini I don't think there's much of an argument here.
Thanks

Thiago in terms of availability better than Ox (that’s easy) but probably same as Keita who had many injuries.

And some posters would really swap out healthiest and fittest midfielder for that?

We also have aging Milner - almost part time in the last two years with some small injuries here and there.

Henderson soon to be aging with many injuries during his career.

Fabinho had one bigger injury right? But he is not a #8.

We were already often missing that high press in our midfield last season and without Gini we can say goodbye to that.

That’s what scares the shit out of me.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Thanks

Thiago in terms of availability better than Ox (that’s easy) but probably same as Keita who had many injuries.

And some posters would really swap out healthiest and fittest midfielder for that?

We also have aging Milner - almost part time in the last two years with some small injuries here and there.

We were already often missing that high press in our midfield last season and without Gini we can say goodbye to that.

For me, its not a simple player for player swap here. Both players are in the last year's of their contracts, one wants a new challenge (Thiago) and reports coming out that Gini is happy enough, but he hasn't agreed to the terms that we offered (whether that be money, playing time, wanting a new challenge, climate) etc.

Its about taking the opportunity to sign Thiago thats what I want us to do, and if Gini goes, that's just life. Would rather both stay.

This is certainly not a game of swapping Premier league stickers with your pals at school. Far to many variables to bring it down to it being a swap and leaving it at that. .

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Thanks

Gini is leaving. Nothing that can be done about it. It's just a matter of when. In my opinion you are placing too much importance on him and his fitness it's our best area to maintain squad rotation already. Whether Gini leaves this summer for a fee or next summer for nothing is the only question. Either way he is leaving and we need to learn to cope without him and we will. When it comes to looking around the world for a CM to come in Thiago is probably the best you could select. And he's available now for a reasonable fee. He's different than Gini, he's at a higher level for creativity and tackling but at a lower level for energy and availability. You win some and lose some. As it is that extra creativity might be extremely well timed as Pep has spoke about one of our issues being teams setting up to combat our full backs and needing to introduce more creativity centrally being one solution, one thing Gini wouldn't help us with but Thiago would.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Where are the stat guys? How many minutes did he play in the last two years and how many did Gini play?
Another way to look at it is Gini played more minutes this year than any of our other midfielders. Played 3644 minutes, next is Hendo with 3167, followed by Fabinho with 2925.

nikz200

Bayern have invited United to create a bidding war... :LOL:

Matic, Fred, McTominay, Pogba, Fernandes, vdBeek. Plus, they still have to sell the likes of Pereira and Lingard.
Its already confirmed they are selling Pereira or that he will leave. Fred is another one I'm not sure what they will do, most likely sounds like a loan. Most of all, for United, they probably are looking at pushing Fernandes into that 10 hole position or in a midfield 3. So they can rotate Thiago somehow in their current squad, especially should they move Fred along.....

Zoran

Its already confirmed they are selling Pereira or that he will leave. Fred is another one I'm not sure what they will do, most likely sounds like a loan. Most of all, for United, they probably are looking at pushing Fernandes into that 10 hole position or in a midfield 3. So they can rotate Thiago somehow in their current squad, especially should they move Fred along.....
I don't know what they plan to do with Beek (who is very much an #8 or #10, maybe played #6 at Ajax in the league but that's also a lower level), let alone if you add Thiago to it. They'd have 4 players who are best as advanced #8's. I doubt Thiago to United happens.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think people here forget we just have Tsimikas. Its mean that Milner will be fulltime midfielder now. And maybe we will switch to 4231 more often this year. Then we have Hendo, Thiago, Milner, Fabinho, Keita for 2 position if we play 4231.
Not really. Gini brings something different to Milner. Also, milner seems to be picking up muscle injuries more frequently

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
If they sell Gini they will buy Thiago, I don’t think the Chinese TV deal makes that a problem, we won’t be doing it without sales, Bayern have been the ones leaking this from the start in my view.

I expect us to shift a couple more anyhow, Grujic is behind Jones considering what happened in the Community Shield, I’d think I’d keep Wilson as he is the only PL player we have for that wing forward role bar Shaqiri who will probably go as well, though I hope we don’t shift him either.

GermanRed

Why the hell is Thiago starting for Spain tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.