Things that other fans do that I don’t understand

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
After 40 years of supporting the reds I have had quite a few WTF moments whilst observing other fans. These include leaving early, half n half scarves, filming corners but my current one is sitting right behind the goal. Why would you do that ? Ok you get a great view of corners but you must get a shit view of 99% of the game. Anybody know the answer ?

Kopstar

★★★★★
After 40 years of supporting the reds I have had quite a few WTF moments whilst observing other fans. These include leaving early, half n half scarves, filming corners but my current one is sitting right behind the goal. Why would you do that ? Ok you get a great view of corners but you must get a shit view of 99% of the game. Anybody know the answer ?
Is it because that's where some of the seats are? Better behind the goal than not in the stadium.

Also, it's not that bad.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Hockey is very much like that, but sitting right behind the goal at close to ice level is the best way to see a game the way a player would - in particular the goalie, but broadly speaking from one side looking at the other. So you miss loads, but what you see is intense.

For most seats in most venues in most sports, television offers a better view anyway. You are going for the experience of crowd. Right behind the Kop end goal is probably objectively a crap seat, but must have been an incredible place to be in that match versus Dortmund a couple of years ago, an experience of a lifetime.

As has been said sitting behind the goal is special. It has very intense moments, I don't know where else you can really get a feel of the intensity on the pitch as behind the goal at a corner or excentuated free kick. It's nuts.
There's also the moments when the GK has nothing to do and finds the time to communicate with the fans behind him who haven't a clue what's going on at the other end. I never witnessed that with Bruce Grobbelaar but sensing his character that must have been fun. When living in Aberdeen had some good and some funny moments with Jim Leighton and Theo Snelders before i moved to the half way line. Jim was a very sullen intense man and added to the atmoshere, Theo Snelders was just class.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
As has been said sitting behind the goal is special. It has very intense moments, I don't know where else you can really get a feel of the intensity on the pitch as behind the goal at a corner or excentuated free kick. It's nuts.
There's also the moments when the GK has nothing to do and finds the time to communicate with the fans behind him who haven't a clue what's going on at the other end. I never witnessed that with Bruce Grobbelaar but sensing his character that must have been fun. When living in Aberdeen had some good and some funny moments with Jim Leighton and Theo Snelders before i moved to the half way line. Jim was a very sullen intense man and added to the atmoshere, Theo Snelders was just class.
Yep, we used to gather behind the goals when Australia played, and Mark Schwarzer was great at shit like that. Plus a really top guy off the pitch.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
I’ve been behind the goal a few times, and ended up row 6 behind the goal last night - Annie rd end.

In the 1st half, the view of the 2 goals was probably the best as it was right in front of me. You could see speed and movement better than if you were in the long side stands.

But then 2nd half, could’ve really see what was happening - I think we were all trying to keep Allison awake!

Atmosphere behind the goal is probably the best - but a little weird last night with no away fans.

I wish we had a penalty in our end... that would have been good to see.

nobluff

TIA Reserve Team
The people on the kop do it so that they can suck the goals in.

My personal WTF is when teams sing about us when they are not even playing us.

Red Ted

The people on the kop do it so that they can suck the goals in.

My personal WTF is when teams sing about us when they are not even playing us.
Mentioned this a while back but Chelsea fans singing about Gerrard slipping on his arse is WTF for me, their captain slipping on his arse throwing a European Cup away & the humiliating blubbering afterwards seems to have been erased from their heads.

What next? Chelsea fans slating Man City for their oil money and buying the league?

Commando

I sat front row behind the Kop goal last night. Sat with my disabled nephew as his carer. I gave my ST (U8 main stand) to my son in law. I've got to say that I much prefer my usual seat, but I got great views of all the second half goal mouth action.

You can also distract the opposition players by loudly shouting their name. (See my post in last night's post match thread).

jaffod

Virtually everything. Looking at Facebook etc during the game, cramming hot-dogs, pies etc down their necks, not supporting the team vocally, taking selfies, wearing fucking rucksacks...and that's just our fans.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I was going to say turning up at Anfield, signing songs about a lad that doesn’t play for us anymore doing something in Match they played no part in. But someone’s already had it.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
When fans of clubs pretend they're locals. People from America referring to us as "bin dippers" for example, because they see locals on other forums use the term, and they're desperate to fit in. (Some of our own lot do it as well, mind).

@Red Ted has the other big one for me - the obsession with Gerrard's slip amongst other fans. Lost his footing and fell, it happens. (And again as he said, this in the wake of "Captain. Leader. Legend" John Terry doing the same thing taking a penalty in a Champions League final.

And also the state of this cunt:

Kopstar

★★★★★
When fans of clubs pretend they're locals. People from America referring to us as "bin dippers" for example, because they see locals on other forums use the term, and they're desperate to fit in. (Some of our own lot do it as well, mind).

@Red Ted has the other big one for me - the obsession with Gerrard's slip amongst other fans. Lost his footing and fell, it happens. (And again as he said, this in the wake of "Captain. Leader. Legend" John Terry doing the same thing taking a penalty in a Champions League final.

Wtf?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

Let’s be charitable and assume his name is Gary Ramos.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Getting so pissed before the game you have to have a piss after 10 minutes, that is especially true if your sat on the ends of the crowd.

Fans from economically poor areas singing that sign on crap, the best was Stoke (which had one of the highest unemployment rates at the time).

Filming corners, just in case, or as this woman did at a Palace game a few years back film about 65 mins before she was told to stop.

Actually Palace have a few other traits, apparently they never get any decisions there way and the idea that their crowd is up for it because they have a small corner of fans who somehow avoid safety legislation, the rest of the ground is quiet as fuck.

redaderry

Yes, fucking rucksacks. A relatively new phenomenon. What does one carry to a football match in a rucksack? Somebody please enlighten me.
Spare ball, boots and rig. Flask of tea, cup, milk, packed lunch, 6-pack of beer. Swiss army knife, warm hat, map, book, reading glasses., Blanket, spare coat, toothbrush/toothpaste. Snorkel and mask, shorts, towel. Hammer, screwdrivers, wire strippers.
You never know....