Things that other fans do that I don’t understand

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
In the Cardiff game just gone, I didn’t get why they sung “Its coming home”?

Like all Liverpool fans are England fans, and even those that did support England - I’m sure recovered pretty quick from losing in the semi, compared to recovery from the champions league final...

Def didn’t understand that from cardiff.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team

Like all Liverpool fans are England fans, and even those that did support England - I’m sure recovered pretty quick from losing in the semi, compared to recovery from the champions league final...

They are supporting LFC? The CL trophy, FA cup and PL trophy are coming home?

Who was that idiot trolling Allison on social media telling him he will never be good enough for LFC, he claims to be an LFC supporter? Some rival fan trying to unsettle him?
That's about all rivals can do at this point. We've become genuine title contenders because of our strong defence and Alisson is a GIANT part of it.They can try and unsettle him all they want,he's not one to pay heed to nonsense.

Last edited:

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I have two examples of minor incidents which unexplainededly annoyed the heart of me.
My son and I saw a guy wearing a sleeveless yellow high-vis jacket with patches down symmetrically down both sides of the front and on the back. He was careful not to cover the company same that supplied this feast for the eyes. For some reason I hated this aberration. It caused me to become a grumpy fucker in an instant. My son looked at it and immediatley KNEW that this fashion item at some point annoyed the Gods so much that they made Gerrard slip by way of revenge.
I was at Liverpool Vs Watford many years ago, sitting in the centenary, chatting to loads of reds and my Irishness was being embraced, and I was welcome and part of the crowd. Emile Heskey was having a quiet day, and one superfan (Irish) was roaring the odds. At the time The Kop magazine ran a piece on our strikers calling them by various nicknames. God, St Michael Owen and they used Heskeys middle name.
Anyway my compatriot superfan decided in a particularly quiet moment to show the world his knowledge.....
He stood up and shouted "Come on to fuck Emile IVANHOE Heskey". There was a deathly silence and tumbleweed blew around the stadium. I hated him and pitied him in equal measure.
Two isolated incidents.
Maybe says more about me!

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...

When I heard it I initially thought it was reference to Glen Hoddle as England manager, he was ill that morning.
Then I realised that was immensley fucking stupid on loads of levels.

RodM

After 40 years of supporting the reds I have had quite a few WTF moments whilst observing other fans. These include leaving early, half n half scarves, filming corners but my current one is sitting right behind the goal. Why would you do that ? Ok you get a great view of corners but you must get a shit view of 99% of the game. Anybody know the answer ?
I'm always quite amused by things that wind people up at football matches. The leaving early thing always puzzled me although I do realise that for some people there is a good reason. When I had a Main Stand ticket back in the 80s there was an Indian doctor that sat a couple of rows behind me that usually left early. Apparently, his shift started at 5:30 so he needed to get away in time for that. I always used to stay back for 15 minutes to hear the final results which also meant I missed the worse of the crowds.

Half-and-half scarves was one that bemused me as I can recall Liverpool-Celtic/Rangers half-and-halfs back in the 80s and I also remember Liverpool-Everton ones being sold at the 1986 cup final. To me these were just keepsakes for special occasions and I have a couple: A Scotland-Germany one (which was given as a present from a German friend) and a Spain-Japan one from the Olympics. I think the outrage comes from people wearing them at ordinary league games as they are presumably bought by football tourists taking up seats from "real" fans.

I can't understand watching football, concerts or any other live event through the medium of poorly recorded smartphone footage. Particularly when so many games are professionally televised as well. I did used to do odd bits of photography at games but it was usually during lulls in the action. In fact, this was one of mine. It isn't the best quality as the photo it was scanned from is rather faded but can you gusess what goal this was?

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
I have two examples of minor incidents which unexplainededly annoyed the heart of me.
My son and I saw a guy wearing a sleeveless yellow high-vis jacket with patches down symmetrically down both sides of the front and on the back. He was careful not to cover the company same that supplied this feast for the eyes. For some reason I hated this aberration. It caused me to become a grumpy fucker in an instant. My son looked at it and immediatley KNEW that this fashion item at some point annoyed the Gods so much that they made Gerrard slip by way of revenge.
I was at Liverpool Vs Watford many years ago, sitting in the centenary, chatting to loads of reds and my Irishness was being embraced, and I was welcome and part of the crowd. Emile Heskey was having a quiet day, and one superfan (Irish) was roaring the odds. At the time The Kop magazine ran a piece on our strikers calling them by various nicknames. God, St Michael Owen and they used Heskeys middle name.
Anyway my compatriot superfan decided in a particularly quiet moment to show the world his knowledge.....
He stood up and shouted "Come on to fuck Emile IVANHOE Heskey". There was a deathly silence and tumbleweed blew around the stadium. I hated him and pitied him in equal measure.
Two isolated incidents.
Maybe says more about me!
Ha ha. I am now thinking of starting a thread called”the bloke behind me”.

RodM

I was going to add that one thing that gets on my tits is "Poor Winners". If my team wins then I am delighted and have not a care in the world. If I have any feelings for opposition fans it is more likely to be commiseration. I just can’t understand the mentality of those whose first reaction is to troll rival supporters about a game. Surely being that bitter and twisted can’t be good for your health?

Kopstar

★★★★★
I'm always quite amused by things that wind people up at football matches. The leaving early thing always puzzled me although I do realise that for some people there is a good reason. When I had a Main Stand ticket back in the 80s there was an Indian doctor that sat a couple of rows behind me that usually left early. Apparently, his shift started at 5:30 so he needed to get away in time for that. I always used to stay back for 15 minutes to hear the final results which also meant I missed the worse of the crowds.

Half-and-half scarves was one that bemused me as I can recall Liverpool-Celtic/Rangers half-and-halfs back in the 80s and I also remember Liverpool-Everton ones being sold at the 1986 cup final. To me these were just keepsakes for special occasions and I have a couple: A Scotland-Germany one (which was given as a present from a German friend) and a Spain-Japan one from the Olympics. I think the outrage comes from people wearing them at ordinary league games as they are presumably bought by football tourists taking up seats from "real" fans.

I can't understand watching football, concerts or any other live event through the medium of poorly recorded smartphone footage. Particularly when so many games are professionally televised as well. I did used to do odd bits of photography at games but it was usually during lulls in the action. In fact, this was one of mine. It isn't the best quality as the photo it was scanned from is rather faded but can you gusess what goal this was?
Barnes v QPR in 1990, to win the league?

It was never a pen but who cares!

RodM

Barnes v QPR in 1990, to win the league?

It was never a pen but who cares!
Spot on (pun intended!) There was a chance that we would tie up the league that day so I took my little Olympus compact camera along. As it was a penalty at my end of the stadium I thought I'd try to take a picture as it could have been (and was) the goal that won the league.

At the time I could hardly have imagined that it would be 2018 and we are still waiting for that to happen again. I took a shot of the post-match celebrations as well that bloody pillar!

Kopstar

★★★★★
Spot on (pun intended!) There was a chance that we would tie up the league that day so I took my little Olympus compact camera along. As it was a penalty at my end of the stadium I thought I'd try to take a picture as it could have been (and was) the goal that won the league.

At the time I could hardly have imagined that it would be 2018 and we are still waiting for that to happen again. I took a shot of the post-match celebrations as well that bloody pillar!
Nice one, here's the highlights on you tube

eng.amohd

The false nine
The thing most fans do but I don't understand and find unacceptable is pointing abusive insults and serious threats to a player and his family over some bad performances of a football player. Also insulting fans killed in disasters (such as Hillsborough or Man U's Munich's disaster) and making them the subject of abuse, mocking or even banter is immoral and unacceptable to me.

Last edited:

epsomred

Shouting inane advice to the players when you are over 100 feet away. Now I know this may be controversial and In the heat of the moment I occasionally shout out myself but what’s the point ? They can’t hear you and even if they could they are hardly likely to follow your sage advice. Imagine explaining to Juergen at half time “well boss the reason I decided not to follow the tactical plan we have been working on all week is becuase I distinctly heard a retired docker from Walton now sitting in the main stand tell me I should do something else”

eng.amohd

The false nine
explaining to Juergen at half time “well boss the reason I decided not to follow the tactical plan we have been working on all week is becuase I distinctly heard a retired docker from Walton now sitting in the main stand tell me I should do something else”
Imagining Jurgen's reaction listening to this from Moreno is hilarious haha lol

RodM

The thing most fans do but I don't understand and find unacceptable is pointing abusive insults and serious threats to a player and his family over some bad performances of a football player. Also insulting fans killed in disasters (such as Hillsborough or Man U's Munich's disasters) and making them a subject of abuse, mocking or even banter is immoral and unacceptable to me.
This entirely. Aside from the fact that they are usually crap games this is the main reason I detest the Man Utd fixture. Around the time I took the photos above there was an old lady who sat next to me who had been going to games since she was a little girl (pre WWI, I seem to recall). She was visibly upset by Munich chants and particularly those name-checking Matt Busby because to her, and many other older fans, he was a much loved Liverpool captain and had always been "one of our own" especially around the time of Munich but also when he eventually won the European cup.

One other thing I can't stand is fans with no understanding of their own history - particularly this idea that football started in 1992 with Sky. I know that some Liverpool fans can dwell on history a bit too much (and I am probably one of them) but football history as a microcosm of social history is fascinating. Anyone who thinks that football pre-1992 or pre-war doesn't count is just a class one knobhead in my book.

epsomred

I was going to add that one thing that gets on my tits is "Poor Winners". If my team wins then I am delighted and have not a care in the world. If I have any feelings for opposition fans it is more likely to be commiseration. I just can’t understand the mentality of those whose first reaction is to troll rival supporters about a game. Surely being that bitter and twisted can’t be good for your health?
Yes apart from Man Utd obviously.

cynicaloldgit

Total Member
One other thing I can't stand is fans with no understanding of their own history - particularly this idea that football started in 1992 with Sky.
This is evident all over the internet- not just on football forums- where responses to polls regarding the best (insert subject here) of all time end up being limited by posters to the best they have seen in their lifetime. Guess what, people. Your lifetime is not the same thing as all time.

Commando

Shouting inane advice to the players when you are over 100 feet away. Now I know this may be controversial and In the heat of the moment I occasionally shout out myself but what’s the point ? They can’t hear you and even if they could they are hardly likely to follow your sage advice. Imagine explaining to Juergen at half time “well boss the reason I decided not to follow the tactical plan we have been working on all week is becuase I distinctly heard a retired docker from Walton now sitting in the main stand tell me I should do something else”
That is spot on except for one glaring mistake. I'm not a retired docker from Walton. I drove a fork lift truck. By the way, that was a private conversation between me and Albie. You shouldn't have been eavesdropping.

epsomred

That is spot on except for one glaring mistake. I'm not a retired docker from Walton. I drove a fork lift truck. By the way, that was a private conversation between me and Albie. You shouldn't have been eavesdropping.
lollollol

eng.amohd

The false nine
This is evident all over the internet- not just on football forums- where responses to polls regarding the best (insert subject here) of all time end up being limited by posters to the best they have seen in their lifetime. Guess what, people. Your lifetime is not the same thing as all time.
Even if football started after 1992, these "fans" must realize that as recently as 2002 their club played in the Second Division...

SBYM

I'm just living the dream
When fans of clubs pretend they're locals. People from America referring to us as "bin dippers" for example, because they see locals on other forums use the term, and they're desperate to fit in. (Some of our own lot do it as well, mind).

@Red Ted has the other big one for me - the obsession with Gerrard's slip amongst other fans. Lost his footing and fell, it happens. (And again as he said, this in the wake of "Captain. Leader. Legend" John Terry doing the same thing taking a penalty in a Champions League final.

And also the state of this cunt:

WTF? Is that a Utd shirt??

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Even if football started after 1992, these "fans" must realize that as recently as 2002 their club played in the Second Division...
That’s anew one,here Iwas thinking it was about 61/62.must have been asleep for while.2002 might have had something to do with the PL though.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
The half and half scarves don't bother me as much either. I suppose it took moving away to America to make me appreciate the sheer amount of effort, commitment, and money it takes for foreign (and in the eyes of some "not real") fans to make the trip to Anfield. A lot of the locals probably take it for granted, they go to a dozen or more matches every year, but for the millions abroad it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. So to me, perfectly understandable that they'd want mementos of the occasion, be that a half and half scarf, or photos and selfies of themselves at the stadium. (To a point though, the lads that record the entire match are going a bit far - although ironically I noticed Redmen.TV are doing that now, so they get "fan reactions" when goals happen and the like)

epsomred

The half and half scarves don't bother me as much either. I suppose it took moving away to America to make me appreciate the sheer amount of effort, commitment, and money it takes for foreign (and in the eyes of some "not real") fans to make the trip to Anfield. A lot of the locals probably take it for granted, they go to a dozen or more matches every year, but for the millions abroad it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. So to me, perfectly understandable that they'd want mementos of the occasion, be that a half and half scarf, or photos and selfies of themselves at the stadium. (To a point though, the lads that record the entire match are going a bit far - although ironically I noticed Redmen.TV are doing that now, so they get "fan reactions" when goals happen and the like)
Yeah thats a good point but it's a real can of worms isn't it ? I am all for cutting us "out of towners" a bit of slack (I live in Surrey) but you've got to draw a line somewhere. A one off "half n half" is ok by me but even then I think I would struggle if it as Man utd or Chelsea game. Selfies and filming YNWA alone are a bridge too far in my book.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Yeah thats a good point but it's a real can of worms isn't it ? I am all for cutting us "out of towners" a bit of slack (I live in Surrey) but you've got to draw a line somewhere. A one off "half n half" is ok by me but even then I think I would struggle if it as Man utd or Chelsea game. Selfies and filming YNWA alone are a bridge too far in my book.
Fella I know *HATES* OOTers with a passion. Hates them. Gets pissed off when he sees people in the stands with their phones out, detests the selfies and whatnot, and can't stand the "placcy merchandise" stuff as well. Pint or two in him and he admits a lot of it stems from the fact that the club allocates too many tickets to foreign fans and feels locals get fucked over as a result. Partakes in another forum, because TIA is too full of wools.

But you can be damned sure that when he came over to America for a holiday and got tickets to an NFL game a couple of years ago, his Facebook page was crammed with selfies of himself in and around the stadium (cheap foam finger and everything), was tweeting and posting while he was in there, and went back home with a NY Giants t-shirt as well.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.