Things that other fans do that I don’t understand

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Gets pissed off when he sees people in the stands with their phones out, detests the selfies and whatnot, and can't stand the "placcy merchandise" stuff as well.
Yeah, everybody who goes the game regularly hates/laughs at this, not just the people who are intolerant of 'ooters'.

That's not even a Liverpool thing either, any side with a fanatical support would be the same.

Sweeting

There is a guy at almost every Academy game who spends the full thing shouting drivel like "Go on lad", "box him in", "get into them", "get it going lads" etc.
He couples this up with jumping up to celebrate the goals and shouting "oh fucks sake fuck off!" when we concede.

Also, people who pay for match tickets just to go in and loudly lecture the guy sat next to him about how he saw Dalglish play and that football has never been the same since.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
There is a guy at almost every Academy game who spends the full thing shouting drivel like "Go on lad", "box him in", "get into them", "get it going lads" etc.
He couples this up with jumping up to celebrate the goals and shouting "oh fucks sake fuck off!" when we concede.

Also, people who pay for match tickets just to go in and loudly lecture the guy sat next to him about how he saw Dalglish play and that football has never been the same since.
A couple of pissed up blokes behind at the Southampton league cup semi last season. One of the spent the whole game and I mean the whole 90 minutes loudly shouting “Elp him ! “ whenever we had the ball. This was briefly a catchphrase in our house afterwards.

epsomred

Fella I know *HATES* OOTers with a passion. Hates them. Gets pissed off when he sees people in the stands with their phones out, detests the selfies and whatnot, and can't stand the "placcy merchandise" stuff as well. Pint or two in him and he admits a lot of it stems from the fact that the club allocates too many tickets to foreign fans and feels locals get fucked over as a result. Partakes in another forum, because TIA is too full of wools.

But you can be damned sure that when he came over to America for a holiday and got tickets to an NFL game a couple of years ago, his Facebook page was crammed with selfies of himself in and around the stadium (cheap foam finger and everything), was tweeting and posting while he was in there, and went back home with a NY Giants t-shirt as well.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.
Fuck me he sounds hard work. Life’s too short to spend hating your fellow fans. Enough other people hate us without turning on ourselves.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Fuck me he sounds hard work. Life’s too short to spend hating your fellow fans. Enough other people hate us without turning on ourselves.
He's a miserable human being. Last year when that Cork comedian did the "but we sold coutinho" song, a few Irish lads sang it in the crowd and he screamed at them to shut up. He's very much in the "this is the way I think you support the club, and if you deviate from it then you're a prick" sort. (But in the moany way, as opposed to the even more annoying superfan way.)

Oh fuck me, how could I forget that one about what other fans do that I don't get - the superfan notion that once a player comes in then he gets unquestioned support from fans no matter what, and being in any way critical of them means you're not a "proper supporter". And invariably trots out the made up Shanks quote "If you can't support us when we lose, don't support us when we win" that gets on my tits.

Commando

Fella I know *HATES* OOTers with a passion. Hates them. Gets pissed off when he sees people in the stands with their phones out, detests the selfies and whatnot, and can't stand the "placcy merchandise" stuff as well. Pint or two in him and he admits a lot of it stems from the fact that the club allocates too many tickets to foreign fans and feels locals get fucked over as a result. Partakes in another forum, because TIA is too full of wools.

But you can be damned sure that when he came over to America for a holiday and got tickets to an NFL game a couple of years ago, his Facebook page was crammed with selfies of himself in and around the stadium (cheap foam finger and everything), was tweeting and posting while he was in there, and went back home with a NY Giants t-shirt as well.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.
I remember in the 70s that there were sew on Liverpool patches that could be sewn on to scarves or jackets. I suppose that it was the 70s version of today's enamel badges. I had one on my scarf which was a black rectangle approximately 10x15cms. It had a globe on with flags of lots of different countries coming out of the top. Underneath were the words "supporters all over the world". We used to celebrate our fame around the world.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Instead of talking about other fans behaviour that we don't understand, perhaps we should take stock at ourselves. I've been here for more than a decade, and this would probably be the first time a match this magnitude, Arsenal vs Liverpool where we are at the top of the table saw us not giving a shit about the match. The match is slightly more than 24 hours to go and not a single peep about the match discussion, heck there isn't even a thread dedicated to it.

A good sign showing the interest of our fans we are doing well, so well that we don't even care about it anymore. :well done:

epsomred

Instead of talking about other fans behaviour that we don't understand, perhaps we should take stock at ourselves. I've been here for more than a decade, and this would probably be the first time a match this magnitude, Arsenal vs Liverpool where we are at the top of the table saw us not giving a shit about the match. The match is slightly more than 24 hours to go and not a single peep about the match discussion, heck there isn't even a thread dedicated to it.

A good sign showing the interest of our fans we are doing well, so well that we don't even care about it anymore. :well done:
Surely somebody will start a thread today. I’m quite new on here but used to be on the rival red and white kop forum. They had strict rules about who could start a pre match thread so I never tried. In fact their moderators had strict rules about pretty much everything. If you ever wondered how totalitarian societies emerge spend some time on RAWK and your questions will be fully answered. Give little people a tiny taste of power and fuck me they let you know they are in charge now.

Shouting inane advice to the players when you are over 100 feet away. Now I know this may be controversial and In the heat of the moment I occasionally shout out myself but what’s the point ? They can’t hear you and even if they could they are hardly likely to follow your sage advice. Imagine explaining to Juergen at half time “well boss the reason I decided not to follow the tactical plan we have been working on all week is becuase I distinctly heard a retired docker from Walton now sitting in the main stand tell me I should do something else”
I shout at the tele! :eh?:

I think we have missed the obvious one. SINGING. Have you ever met a football supporter who can sing?
I much prefer hand clapping. :-)

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Surely somebody will start a thread today. I’m quite new on here but used to be on the rival red and white kop forum. They had strict rules about who could start a pre match thread so I never tried. In fact their moderators had strict rules about pretty much everything. If you ever wondered how totalitarian societies emerge spend some time on RAWK and your questions will be fully answered. Give little people a tiny taste of power and fuck me they let you know they are in charge now.
We are fairly lax, but hold the thread starter for the result.

RodM

I am eagerly awaiting the match thread but won't start it in case I jinx it.
But I get the point.
Just checked and it still hasn't started. I tried to start one a few weeks ago but I think that might be against protocol (being a newbie).

jaffod

A couple of pissed up blokes behind at the Southampton league cup semi last season. One of the spent the whole game and I mean the whole 90 minutes loudly shouting “Elp him ! “ whenever we had the ball. This was briefly a catchphrase in our house afterwards.
Ha Ha mad how you pick things up and use it yourselves for a laugh. I sit behind a dad and lad who have basically said fuck all for years in support of the team, I honestly don't see what they get out of it.
However, a couple of seasons ago Skrtel made a brilliant interception against Man City, stopped a certain goal, and the lad shouted "great defending!" I nearly fell off my seat.
That was it then, it was used time and time again by me and my lad watching footy on the tele and even a few times at the game itself. I even had it as a password on the computer with the reminder 'blert at match' in case I forgot.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
I'm always quite amused by things that wind people up at football matches. The leaving early thing always puzzled me although I do realise that for some people there is a good reason. When I had a Main Stand ticket back in the 80s there was an Indian doctor that sat a couple of rows behind me that usually left early. Apparently, his shift started at 5:30 so he needed to get away in time for that. I always used to stay back for 15 minutes to hear the final results which also meant I missed the worse of the crowds.

Half-and-half scarves was one that bemused me as I can recall Liverpool-Celtic/Rangers half-and-halfs back in the 80s and I also remember Liverpool-Everton ones being sold at the 1986 cup final. To me these were just keepsakes for special occasions and I have a couple: A Scotland-Germany one (which was given as a present from a German friend) and a Spain-Japan one from the Olympics. I think the outrage comes from people wearing them at ordinary league games as they are presumably bought by football tourists taking up seats from "real" fans.

I can't understand watching football, concerts or any other live event through the medium of poorly recorded smartphone footage. Particularly when so many games are professionally televised as well. I did used to do odd bits of photography at games but it was usually during lulls in the action. In fact, this was one of mine. It isn't the best quality as the photo it was scanned from is rather faded but can you gusess what goal this was?
Looks like a john Barnes penalty against Leeds maybe

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Not only in the stands, but even in the pub I still don't get how someone can regularly be on his phone almost half the time and follow the match so closely to have a quality debate about whatever happened. WhatsApp groups becoming like live text commentary or something. Can't stand it. Always turn my internet connection off, don't want any distractions.

epsomred

Not only in the stands, but even in the pub I still don't get how someone can regularly be on his phone almost half the time and follow the match so closely to have a quality debate about whatever happened. WhatsApp groups becoming like live text commentary or something. Can't stand it. Always turn my internet connection off, don't want any distractions.
Spot on this. Really don’t understand the modern mentality to film everything rather than just enjoy the experience. People are videoing corners, the Kop singing YNWA even opposing managers walking onto the pitch. Drives me fucking mad.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
You see it at concerts, people missing the living moment to watch on a 3 inch screen. It makes zero sense to me.

epsomred

You see it at concerts, people missing the living moment to watch on a 3 inch screen. It makes zero sense to me.
Yeah absolutely. I saw Prince at the O2, gig of a lifetime and about 1/3rd of the crowd were not watching but filming him on crappy camera phones.

Red Ted

RAWK is an embarassment to the club, what an awfully bizarre place it is.

I went there a decade or so ago and basically got warned & then banned for not conforming to the hive mind mentality, they really are the thought police, bunch of twisted wankers.

epsomred

I went there a decade or so ago and basically got warned & then banned for not conforming to the hive mind mentality, they really are the thought police, bunch of twisted wankers.
Ha ha. Yes it’s a very angry place. Lots of hatred against other lfc fans who don’t adhere to unwritten rules about how to behave, lots of bans if you don’t toe the party line and generally an unhappy forum of people going on about how shit everything is compared to some golden era in the 1970s. I was banned for life for saying that faceless wankers in north face jackets didn’t have the right to tell me how to support the club.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

Ha ha. Yes it’s a very angry place. Lots of hatred against other lfc fans who don’t adhere to unwritten rules about how to behave, lots of bans if you don’t toe the party line and generally an unhappy forum of people going on about how shit everything is compared to some golden era in the 1970s. I was banned for life for saying that faceless wankers in north face jackets didn’t have the right to tell me how to support the club.
Hehehe.... you guys are new here.... :-)

Commando

I've got a username on RAWK but rarely go on there. A thing that sticks in my mind was last season when the Irish comedian lad had the Salah, Mane, Coutinho song on YouTube. It was being discussed (some thought it was good others not so) one Rawkite said if he heard anybody singing it on the Kop he would hit them. He was told in the main to wind his neck in, but others were supporting him.