• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Thomas Ince (LW/RW) Blackpool FC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Since I'm not allowed to post articles from The Times that are protected by paywall, I decided not to open this thread by an article - I will only point out that respected and credible LFC related sources have carried the story of Liverpool's interest in Ince (Tony Barrett, Rory Smith, Dominic King and now The Telegraph). Apparently, he has been heavily scouted, although no bid has been made. It is said that Liverpool indeed have a 35% sell-on clause, which would reduce the transfer fee if Liverpool decide to bid.

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9706933/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-hopes-move-for-Daniel-Sturridge-will-not-be-affected-by-changes-at-Chelsea.html

It's also mentioned in this article and the 35% sign on fee discount that we'd get if someone else buys him.

Nikola

Admin
http://www.telegraph...at-Chelsea.html

It's also mentioned in this article and the 35% sign on fee discount that we'd get if someone else buys him.
Mark, you should post some of your retweets here and in Twitter thread (some are Ince-related), mate. I didn't want to steal them from you and they are pretty interesting.

As for Ince himself, given that he would come rather cheap and on low wages, the deal wouldn't pose a risk in its essence but I still have grudges with this lad. What he showed back then wasn't the attitude of a Liverpool player but of a prima donna.

I do feel that moves for these English players (every more "reliable" rumour gathered, it seems that Rodgers is pretty keen on him, Sturridge and Walcott) are also meant to offset the potential loss of homegrown players (Spearing, Carroll, Downing, Cole) at low cost. I truly hope that our scouts will have some nice surprises in store for us because my Grandma could have come up with those three names after watching a few games.

boston red

Show me the Mane.
Didn't know sell on was that large gives us a advantage on signing him back,Looking back thought it was not good idea to let him go in the first place..Who's idea was that? Was it weight for Adam? I forget..Remember he was in the the academy of this years starting youngsters I know he went through a bad patch of goal scoring before he left..right now he would be welcome off the bench , I think he could progress a bit more also as a player.. I said the clause helps but would BR be interested.. 6,7 Mill with the 35% off ?

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista
Didn't know sell on was that large gives us a advantage on signing him back,Looking back thought it was not good idea to let him go in the first place..Who's idea was that? Was it weight for Adam? I forget..Remember he was in the the academy of this years starting youngsters I know he went through a bad patch of goal scoring before he left..right now he would be welcome off the bench , I think he could progress a bit more also as a player.. I said the clause helps but would BR be interested.. 6,7 Mill with the 35% off ?
No, he was not a makeweight for the Adam deal. He wanted out and as things were headed, he was not going to make the breakthrough with our first team.

If we get him great, if not, there are others.

Nikola

Admin
His contract expired (actually, he was offered a new one but declined because he and Ince Sr. didn't feel it was good enough, nor it guaranteed them regular football for Ince Jr.) and he moved to Blackpool for some compensation as he was under 24 years of age. I don't know how Liverpool got that sell-on clause but newspapers speculate that it will be around 5 million pounds with 35% off.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Vastly over rated at the moment.

The lad scores a few goals, and he is flavour of the month. Was not good enough when he was here, I dont think he is good enough now. Not a patch on Sterling and I would rather spend an extra 2 or 3 M and get Walcott.

We thought the Carroll deal made us look like muppets, well this one could look just as bad. Let a player leave the club (for not meeting his demands), pay 5M to get him back, then realize there was are reason we did not meet his demands first time round.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin

The lad scores a few goals, and he is flavour of the month. Was not good enough when he was here, I dont think he is good enough now. Not a patch on Sterling and I would rather spend an extra 2 or 3 M and get Walcott.

We thought the Carroll deal made us look like muppets, well this one could look just as bad. Let a player leave the club (for not meeting his demands), pay 5M to get him back, then realize there was are reason we did not meet his demands first time round.
Inclined to agree. Would prefer to pay the extra for Walcott. But this will be all about FSG - Ince is cheaper to sign, cheaper wages, and younger.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We thought he wasnt ready for senior football and gave him a single 15 minutes cameo during his whole time here.

19 goals and 17 assists in 59 games for Blackpool since leaving us proves he was at least good enough to make the bench a few times for us and maybe even get a run out in a couple of cup games or something.

Championship is comparable level to many lesser European leagues and we would sign top players from those leagues at same kind of cost.

He has 11 goals and 7 assists in 17 games in the league this season and he is still really young and nowhere near fully developed.

SF Red

TIA Regular

If the choice is between Ince or Walcott for 2-3m more then, of course, we should go for Walcott (of course wage demands will probably be vastly different).Does Walcott even want to come here?

The bigger question is - does any big name player want to come here? (not that Walcott is a big name player but he is a pretty big name) We all want to see LFC sign a big name player in January, but if no one that big wants to come, than I would rather the club not spend much money on more mediocrity.

And to be fair to Ince, he has improved greatly since leaving. I remember him in the reserves and he was not great, but he has really improved. Not sure if he will make this level, but he is not the player that left us in Summer 2011.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
He was actually pretty good in our youth teams. I was reluctant to admit it as I didn't really like him, always came across as a bit of a twat (although he didn't stand much chance with Paul as his dad).

Tony Barrett is reporting that our talks to bring him back are in an 'advanced' stage. For a fee of 3-4 million I can definitely see the attraction. He'll fit in our formation well and he's been racking up the goals and the assists in the championship. We're lacking options in the RW position and with Downing seemingly on his way out, we'll be even thinner. Ince clearly wouldn't be a marquee signing who we'd expect to be a game changer on a regular basis but if he could cover a few different attacking positions and chip in with some goals and assists for a pretty small fee, it seems like quite a sensible deal.

Plenty of youth players leave the club and never make it, some improve after leaving the club, some stay the same. To miss out the chance to sign Ince for could be a pretty paltry fee just because we let him go on the free once is silly, we shouldn't let pride get in the way of potentially strengthening our squad.I wouldn't want him to be our only signing for our forward positions though, he's not good enough to significantly improve our first team on his own. Hopefully he'd be one of 2 or 3.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
I think it would be a big gamble on him, for a player who didnt show commitment to the club first time around. The few full games I have seen (and also highlights after match of the day) He is still a flawed footballer, predictable, poor vision, makes wrong decisions and slows down attacks (despite himself having pace) .

He may have come on, but he would represent a big gamble for me, and is even a step down from Assaidi. I haven't seen anything to suggest that he is better than him. Zaha on the otherhand (Palace) would be a far more interesting proposition. Not at the 10M Palace are after, but close to Inces price would be a far better deal (withouth the wages of Walcott)

Still deep down think Walcott might be an option. I think he wants a move, but I dont think other big clubs want him. Like everything it seems all down to money.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
I think it would be a big gamble on him, for a player who didnt show commitment to the club first time around. The few full games I have seen (and also highlights after match of the day) He is still a flawed footballer, predictable, poor vision, makes wrong decisions and slows down attacks (despite himself having pace) .

He may have come on, but he would represent a big gamble for me, and is even a step down from Assaidi. I haven't seen anything to suggest that he is better than him. Zaha on the otherhand (Palace) would be a far more interesting proposition. Not at the 10M Palace are after, but close to Inces price would be a far better deal (withouth the wages of Walcott)

Still deep down think Walcott might be an option. I think he wants a move, but I dont think other big clubs want him. Like everything it seems all down to money.
Wouldn't understand at all why we're interested in having him back if he is "a step down from Assaidi" like you said. Unless he was left-footed perhaps. But even still. It is hardly like he has actually proven himself.

Apparently the two big stumbling blocks to signing Walcott is the wages obviously and also the fact that he apparently wants to stay in London because his gal pal is going to Uni there. Got that from the gossip pages so don't hold it against me.

SF Red

TIA Regular

I haven't seen enough of Zaha to compare. I have only seen him in a couple of matches and he was ok - speed and a little trickery. If Ince's contract didn't run out next summer, I think he would be going for 10-12m.

I do think that it is very difficult to compare Assaidi and Ince. They play/have played in very different leagues. Ince and Assaidi both score, like to take on players, and provide assists. Ince is much younger, obviously, and has really thrived since his move.

I don't think that it is a massive risk. He would be about the same risk as Assaidi, which is really not a big risk. His wages might be slightly higher, but we could probably sell him for 3-4m in a couple of years if he didn't work out.

He left because he wanted to play - I can't hate him for that. He was willing to go to the Championship to play first team football. The response from his father was probably the thing that left a really bad taste with me but I do agree that Tom probably had something to do with it.

I also still think there is a small chance of Walcott.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
We would get that 1.5-2 mil if he is sold to anyone else anyway. So won't make him less expensive like how they spin it.

In fact the 35% discount will ends up making him more expensive (before -35%) for us than anyone else. Let's say he normally will be sold for 5 mil to MU. But Blackpool may hold him out for 6.5 mil to us, and make us pay 4.5 mil for him. We get 0.5 mil discount, while they profit an extra million.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Done well since he left us but as Smith said, it lacks imagination as a signing. Tend to agree with him on this, it feels rather familiar in some ways

Seems a easy cheap sounding option, yet one which is rather more expensive than it would have been if we kept him. I somehow doubt he is coining it at Blackpool, which begs one or two interesting questions

As well as the obvious one Rory Smith has also asked I.e. what are our new scouts there for

Little more imagination and ambition may be needed. This one would be another maybe purchase and had our fill of them, albeit at about 10m less than some of our other maybe buys. Who often turn out gash in any case

We need to bring in reinforcements but the sad thing is its become hard to trust our buying. Players flop here so much. It's become a real habit and it's almost at a point that you need to be buying in super tough players in terms of mentality for them to have any chance of succeeding. Or those with extensive top level experience? We have not been aiming high enough or valuing the appropriate credentials. At summer continued a similar trend in the main, just at a lesser cost. Only Allen has really become a regular at a half decent level coming up to the half way stage. Others may improve but we have said that a lot in previous years and it kind of didn't materialize did it

Since Torres left, that has been the missing part in the machine. Bellamy was just about the only one in that category and he's 32. And we likewise let him leave after 1 year. At this point it would not convince me that the flaws in our recruitment strategy have been properly understood yet if we go down this road

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Yup. We need to invest in top quality players with top-flight experience. We don't need anymore kids with potential. We have enough of them sitting on our benches as it is. I'm all up for this if it is a smart bargain and I am all up for investing in youth. But we also must sign a top quality attacking player who can make a tangible impact immediately. I don't care whether he is a wide forward or a versatile striker. I just hope we aren't looking to plug in too many holes all at once and bring in a few mediocre players who have potential but may or may not make it. That isn't the correct way to go about things. Not saying that Ince is mediocre but he certainly isn't someone who should be walking into our first team. If we bring him in, it can only be because we are also certain that we can bring in someone else who will actually be the starter. That is priority #1, chasing the next teen talent is not.

SF Red

TIA Regular
Yup. We need to invest in top quality players with top-flight experience. We don't need anymore kids with potential. We have enough of them sitting on our benches as it is. I'm all up for this if it is a smart bargain and I am all up for investing in youth. But we also must sign a top quality attacking player who can make a tangible impact immediately. I don't care whether he is a wide forward or a versatile striker. I just hope we aren't looking to plug in too many holes all at once and bring in a few mediocre players who have potential but may or may not make it. That isn't the correct way to go about things. Not saying that Ince is mediocre but he certainly isn't someone who should be walking into our first team. If we bring him in, it can only be because we are also certain that we can bring in someone else who will actually be the starter. That is priority #1, chasing the next teen talent is not.
I don't disagree that we need a first team starter and Ince isn't it. If he were to come in, I would expect (maybe I am just being optimistic) that we would also bring in a first team forward to play up front with Suarez and Sterling.

I don't think we even have quality backups at the forward spots. Assaidi and Borini are the two backup quality forwards (and many disagree on them but I think they will improve significantly this season). Suarez and Sterling are the two starter quality forwards. Ideally this player would be able to play at CF and as a wide forward (as more of a forward and less of a winger - like Sterling and Assaidi).

As for youth, we are still lacking at forward options that are close to ready. The forwards who have been given chances (Morgan, Yesil, Pacheco, Sinclair) are either not good enough or not ready yet. They are way below Sterling at this point IMO.

Just my thoughts - I am sure many of you disagree.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
And I'm vastly underwhelmed.
My feelings exactly,see no reason to keep on picking up maybe/maybe not types of players.As others have said we need first team players now.Tom didn't exactly impress first time round, he may be doing better in the Championship but so did Adam.If there is anything in this it is about price which suggests the glaring lesson may not, as yet, been learnt.

rivers7

TIA New Signing
I've followed Ince and Sturridge for years and have never seen evidence that they're "twats".

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
I've followed Ince and Sturridge for years and have never seen evidence that they're "twats".
They're hardly in the same league as someone like Ravel Morrison are they. Not sure myself why they seem so disliked.

Sweeting

He's nowhere close to Sterling in terms of ability but fair play to the lad for doing well at Championship level - can't knock him for that.

However, for me he requires too much support to be effective. At Blackpool he is given free reign to do pretty much whatever he wants to do and has almost no tactical requirements placed upon him. 11 goals in 18 is very, very impressive but he would never replicate that at Liverpool unless the side was built around him which, frankly, he isn't good enough to do.

Maybe he'll be worth trying if the cost is right but for me, I'd be looking elsewhere than Tom Ince. Let Man Utd sign him, he'd never get in ahead of Valencia and Kagawa.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He wouldn't match his Championship form here at best we coud hope for about half that level of contribution (still impressive) and further development.

Also at 20 he may well have lessons to learn to make him more tactically capable but he is still only 20 and Rodgers is a great educator look what he did with Sinclair and Dyer.

People talking about our pride and how bad it will look buying him back after letting him go I don't see it.

Say he ends up at a rival for the £5 million to Blackpool and £1.7 million to us (whoo hoo) and develops like he might well do to become a premier league player in the same kind of form he is now in 3 or 4 seasons time.

How terrible a mistake will that look? How proud will we be then?

If we really are looking to emulate the way Barca do things with their academy they create far too many good players and let lots go to play elsewhere, if they develop more to prove they shouldnt of been let go in first place Barca happily buy them back like they did with Jordi Alba (I think) and will do with Romeu and Bojan.

rab

I'd have no problems having him back even though he left us, as others have pointed out Barca have done this numerous times with Cesc, Pique and Alba.

He looks a decent player, far from a world beater yet but better than Downing already so thats an immediate improvement. For a relatively modest fee to pick up someone like him would be great but it would be yet another relatively young inexperienced player we're likely to expect a lot from.

Will he be keen to come back here though?

Nikola

Admin
He has massive ego but that actually works pretty well for him, it seems - he doesn't have confidence problems that some of our players have. I haven't watched him play for Blackpool but I guess that he would be that Assaidi-type of transfer that many of us predicted for January - cheap, low wages, decent potential, offers depth that the likes of Downing and Cole do not. I'm not keen on him but Rodgers seems to rate him.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
If BR wants him and he wants to come back I'm all for it. He's quick, can finish and is strong. Obviously his form in the Championship is not going to be transferable to the Premier League, but if BR can get more out of him, then why not.

He also already knows players in the squad and knows the area so settling down wouldn't be an issue.

Plus always nice to see Paul Ince in the stands - legend

Status
Not open for further replies.