• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Thomas Lemar (LW/AM) Monaco

What will Thomas Lemar be leaning on?

• Me, when you're not strong, and I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on.

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Poor Phil Coutinho's walking frame

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • The club's best table, the one we get out to do all the contracts on.

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • A Lemur

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • A Llama

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Olly Murs

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Virgil Van Dijk, in a recreation of the poster from 'twins'.

Votes: 39 16.6%
  • Against the window of the club shop, cleverly obscuring a picture of Big Div

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • That bit of Melwood where Ian Ayre caught Rodgers doing [REDACTED]

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Michael Edwards' big clicky, whirry computer.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Sad Wenger

Votes: 43 18.3%
  • A pile of discarded #FSGOUT signs

Votes: 26 11.1%
  • Mascot's excited stiffy

Votes: 26 11.1%
  • No lean at all.

Votes: 30 12.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Not overly familiar with this player, could someone more in the know post up a quick summary of what's he like? Best positions, strengths/weaknesses etc...
This may help. A pair of experts said ...
  1. Matt‏ @FalseFirmino 2m2 minutes ago
    People seem to be unaware that Thomas Lemar can play in central midfield & out wide. Perfect signing.
  2. Ben Goodwin‏ @BenGoodwin08 1m1 minute ago
    exactly, would be a perfect fit for the same reasons as Ox. Give us pace and drive in midfield and adds depth to 2 positions we lack it

Kazemagicsg

The best is yet to come ⚽ 6 times cl wins
could be a good signing if cou go next season. get him in to get use to the epl and experience cl with us

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Not overly familiar with this player, could someone more in the know post up a quick summary of what's he like? Best positions, strengths/weaknesses etc...
I saw him in Champions League games last season, I honestly can't describe how impressed I was with him (see my first post in this thread). In fact, I was so impressed that I never took him into consideration as a possible Liverpool target as I had expected him to move to some rather rich club like Man United, Man City, Chelsea... There's always a question mark over impact of French players in Liverpool but if Liverpool can get him, I'd be less miserable. In a way, he's the kind of player I wanted Liverpool to sign to cover for our wide players, as well as for our attacking midfielders - not similar to either Lallana or Coutinho in terms of elegance but he's creative, attack-minded and has good engine.

I wanted Liverpool to sign Ox in order to have such a player but Lemar would do, even though he'd be significantly more expensive. If he adjusts to Premier League successfully and if he remains fully fit, he's unquestionable first XI material.

Molby39

Hope this happens, but I keep expecting the next twitter post to be the club denial of the rumours.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Offer confirmed by L'Equipe... football has gone completely mad as we know, and unfortunately, we seem to follow that unfortunate trend... :-(

Anyway, is this lad good at least? Never heard about him before that rumour started...

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Offer confirmed by L'Equipe... football has gone completely mad as we know, and unfortunately, we seem to follow that unfortunate trend... :-(

Anyway, is this lad good at least? Never heard about him before that rumour started...
Really? a little surprised by that. Although shadowed by the praise Mbappe was getting, and peoples focus on Mendy because of wanting a left back, i thought he still got mentioned regularly by people commenting monaco's run in the CL last season.

He was also being linked with us earlier in the summer along with Spurs and Arsenal....

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
This is how Bayern win everything - they have more quality wide guys than everyone else. Stands to reason, we'd be into another one.

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp

His numbers last season were fantastic - 14 goals and 17 assists in 55 games played exclusively from left wing. We have seen how deadly we are with Salah and Mane, but we know we cannot play both of them all the time across entire season. Buying Lemar would allow us to have absolute dynamite on our wings in every single game - just think of how scary that will be for the opposition. On that basis alone I'm massively in favour, since we're just so short on decent cover for Mane or Salah.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Really? a little surprised by that. Although shadowed by the praise Mbappe was getting, and peoples focus on Mendy because of wanting a left back, i thought he still got mentioned regularly by people commenting monaco's run in the CL last season.

He was also being linked with us earlier in the summer along with Spurs and Arsenal....
Well I've heard his name, but I have never seen him play (I think) and have basically no idea how he looks like, where he plays on the pitch, if he's rather a defensive or an attacking midfielder etc.

His numbers last season were fantastic - 14 goals and 17 assists in 55 games played exclusively from left wing. We have seen how deadly we are with Salah and Mane, but we know we cannot play both of them all the time across entire season. Buying Lemar would allow us to have absolute dynamite on our wings in every single game - just think of how scary that will be for the opposition. On that basis alone I'm massively in favour, since we're just so short on decent cover for Mane or Salah.
Cheers, that's a bit of info. I thought he was some sort of central midfielder. Well, I hope that this isn't a move in order to replace Phil, or I'll have to join RedForever and get my pitchfork out.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Robertson, Salah and now Lemar a possibility...i like that we are going for left footed players. Last wand of a left we had in the squad was Aurellio I think.
Robertson and Salah's crosses from the left show how much value that adds. Although wasnt Gomez's cross in the game yesterday from his left foot too?

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Robertson and Salah's crosses from the left show how much value that adds. Although wasnt Gomez's cross in the game yesterday from his left foot too?
Yeah he poked that across with his left too but think he's right footed.

zabbs11

This feels like a Coutinho replacement. Only reason we would go for him this late is because something has changed over the summer. Also coincides with story that Coutinho wants reassurances he can go next summer. If that is the case and we get this lad for a year as well as keeping Coutinho for a year I will be delighted. He's so much better than Coutinho was at 21 and can easily play on the left side of a midfield 3 or further up top. Upgrade to Ox in my opinion

Noo Noo

Some guys I know in France are telling me this is a non starter. Monaco are flush with cash after this summers sales and it makes no sense to sell another so close to the end of the window.

No idea myself.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Such a late in the day transfer leaves me feeling that Coutinho may be allowed to leave. If Kieta in UK Twitter talk is an indicator of possible reemergence of that transfer also raises the whiff of Can leaving too. Klopp saying none in if none out adds to the mix too. Interesting last few days of the window coming...

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Some guys I know in France are telling me this is a non starter. Monaco are flush with cash after this summers sales and it makes no sense to sell another so close to the end of the window.

No idea myself.
They wont have the Mbappe money until next year at the earliest as he is only going on loan now. They do have the cash from other deals but i dont think that generally stops them from selling. They are also being linked to a lot of other players, so they could quite easily be willing to sell now, or alternatively this could be a deal for next summer....

Noo Noo

They wont have the Mbappe money until next year at the earliest as he is only going on loan now. They do have the cash from other deals but i dont think that generally stops them from selling. They are also being linked to a lot of other players, so they could quite easily be willing to sell now, or alternatively this could be a deal for next summer....
Cheers for the clarification. I'm haven't been paying much attention to things at Monaco to be honest.

Although I did think the Mbappe deal would be the domino that starts everything tumbling. Then I thought it was Neymar but still no. Strange window!!!

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp

No idea myself.
Makes no sense at all either to loan Mbappe out yet they did so. Not sure we can draw any conclusions either way if the bid will be accepted or not. It's a huge profit for them on a player they paid 4m for two years ago. We'll know soon enough, this is one transfer saga which won't drag on.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Arsenal have been chasing Lemar all summer so they may be ready to move on from him already

Liverpoolry

This feels like a Coutinho replacement. Only reason we would go for him this late is because something has changed over the summer. Also coincides with story that Coutinho wants reassurances he can go next summer. If that is the case and we get this lad for a year as well as keeping Coutinho for a year I will be delighted. He's so much better than Coutinho was at 21 and can easily play on the left side of a midfield 3 or further up top. Upgrade to Ox in my opinion
I think Nabby keita would be the best option for a countinho replacement keep countinho for another year the activate his buyout clause at around £45 million and that would be perfect in my eyes he's only young great on and off the ball great team player and at the price it would be stupid to send £70 mill + on players that are a gamble on weather they would fit or not this is why Klopp said he wouldn't buy players for the sake of it he said they need to fit to the style of play and the attitude he wants other wise we end up with flops who we struggle to get our money back for just my opinion.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
He's a left footed attacking midfielder/winger. Short but doesn't look it on the pitch, strong and quicker than Coutinho. Has excellent delivery via crosses and set-pieces. Plays mostly on the left wing but can play in the #10 role or out on the right side. Monaco usually play a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 and Lemar plays mostly on the left but cuts inside and move around quite freely. Would initially play on our frontline but could eventually play the #8 role in midfield. He is their guy that links their midfield to the attack so a Coutinho role/alternative is possible.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir

No idea myself.
Their owner said that he won't block any of his players from moving if they really wanted to but that was a while back and with just days left in the window I don't know if he still feels the same way. We could offer Origi in part exchange but obviously its not a like for like situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.