Thomas Lemar (LW/AM) Monaco

What will Thomas Lemar be leaning on?

• Me, when you're not strong, and I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on.

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Poor Phil Coutinho's walking frame

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • The club's best table, the one we get out to do all the contracts on.

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • A Lemur

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • A Llama

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Olly Murs

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Virgil Van Dijk, in a recreation of the poster from 'twins'.

Votes: 39 16.6%
  • Against the window of the club shop, cleverly obscuring a picture of Big Div

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • That bit of Melwood where Ian Ayre caught Rodgers doing [REDACTED]

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Michael Edwards' big clicky, whirry computer.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Sad Wenger

Votes: 43 18.3%
  • A pile of discarded #FSGOUT signs

Votes: 26 11.1%
  • Mascot's excited stiffy

Votes: 26 11.1%
  • No lean at all.

Votes: 30 12.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil123

It depends what you deem as a back up striker because I don't think there are many players in the world who can do anywhere near what Firmino does for us but I certainly think Fekir is one of them so he does act as a sort of back up striker and could replace him midfield with Ox (when fit).

Keita Fabinho Ox
Salah Fekir Mane

Something like that.
A backup striker for me is someone that can enter for Firmino and keep the fire coming, someone with the ability to keep scoring

Jayus20

I think Brewster may get some opportunities to stake a claim.He's gone next year so why even bother holding onto him now unless the idea is to give him his chance.
Yeah I definitely agree though I don't think he'll be involved much more than Solanke was this year. Lets just hope he can have more of an impact and stake a claim as you say.

A backup striker for me is someone that can enter for Firmino and keep the fire coming, someone with the ability to keep scoring
Well as I said, Fekir can provide that and he's a pretty good finisher, similar finishing levels to Firmino/Salah per shot with generally a little higher percentage on target.

RedSeven

On the one road
Yeah I definitely agree though I don't think he'll be involved much more than Solanke was this year. Lets just hope he can have more of an impact and stake a claim as you say.
They'll both get their chances but while Solanke is our plan B i think the chances Brewster will get will be to see if he's a better "fit" than someone else who we might bring in.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Then you need someone that plays the same way as Firmino (such as Fekir) not a traditional CF type or goal poacher. Firmino going off takes our pressing and creativity with him not just goals.

big noyd

My issue was this one was always the price. Ar £90m it is too much and we'd be better going for Pulisic or Bailey.

If the price is more realistic then I will be happier to sign him.
they'd have to shave a good 25m off to start with, then adjust for his dip in form

imo fekir would play a lot as one of the #8s during ox's absence, and play as a false 9 when firmino is rested, while lemar would be the 3rd wide forward. also the potential of the fabinho/keita double pivot means there could be more often four places up front

neil jones says we're not after him, though

Last edited:

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if the resurrection of this one is to help the negotiations for Fekir, showing that we have backup options and won't be held to ransom. I'd be very surprised if we wanted to get both... not to mention that we had enough money to do so.
I’d be bit surprised if we got both,but mind,you,I’d be a happy Chappy,if that was that it went.
Depth to spare! Not that you could have too much with the likely number of games next seaso.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if the resurrection of this one is to help the negotiations for Fekir, showing that we have backup options and won't be held to ransom. I'd be very surprised if we wanted to get both... not to mention that we had enough money to do so.
Surprised Fabinho didn't say anything about lemar when talking about Fekir ...

YeGra

Yeah my interest in Lemar has nosedived now that I realise there's a less expensive option that doesn't seem to mean a drop off in quality. We also know if we're gonna buy a reliable keeper this summer it means splashing the cash. Fekir and Alisson makes more sense for the money we have at our disposal.

Limiescouse

Shows how important it is to judge players on wider performance rather than just an excellent 12 months or in the case of some 5-6 months. If a player gradually improves cool, if one has a great season and then an ok season after a mixture of great and ok seasons such as Mane then that's fine.

If one just has one great season then bombs the next.... it's not worth just yet spending 80m on him.
The reason he isnt worth spending 80 million on is not because this year revealed last year was a fluke, but because he wasnt worth spending 80 million on last year either, even when his price was at its peak. However, to suggest this form this year is more reflective of who he is as a player is not fair, and so it's worth pointing out that it was still good enough to make the French world cup squad, something that cannot be said for Martial, Rabiot, Sakho, Benzema (albeit for different reasons). So, those whose job it is to identify quality don't seem to view this season as that much of a disaster or a mark of last year being a mirage.

Meanwhile, the exact same thing can be said about Fabinho's season, someone who was not able to break into the Brazil side, and yet we're thrilled we signed him.

These are players who played for a side who were absolutely gutted in the off season, and even if the players they brought in were comparable in quality (they weren't) every single player who was left was going to find it harder to thrive simply because of the turn over. Lemar was a hell of a player last summer and is still a hell of a player now.

Last edited:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Surprised Fabinho didn't say anything about lemar when talking about Fekir ...
Perhaps there's nothing to talk about because we are using the boy to throw our opponents off in signing Fabinho? I don't think this signing of Fabinho came out of the blue, I am quite sure we have already set our sights on him since last summer and working on Lemar was just part of the tactical approach knowing our opponents like to mess us up.

I like to think that's what we did after being fucked about since the first time we tried Salah, then Willian and so on.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies

Jayus20

Which would explain this, if it's true. (BBC rumours page.)
Liverpool target Thomas Lemar looks to be on his way to Atletico Madrid. The 22-year-old French international is valued at around £90m. (AS)
I'm honestly quite interested to see how much he'll go for. Surely no more than like £50m not after the season he's had? Probably a bad idea by Monaco not letting Lemar and Fabinho go last summer, could have had £75m out of us for Lemar and £50m out of one of PSG or United for Fabinho. Probably lost themselves £35m maybe more.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
I'm honestly quite interested to see how much he'll go for. Surely no more than like £50m not after the season he's had? Probably a bad idea by Monaco not letting Lemar and Fabinho go last summer, could have had £75m out of us for Lemar and £50m out of one of PSG or United for Fabinho. Probably lost themselves £35m maybe more.

But they made the Champions League groups and may not have without them.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
He is probably so happy he didn't join Arsenal but will probably regret that he missed the opportunity to join us (even if it is mostly not his fault a fee couldn't be agreed).

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
He is probably so happy he didn't join Arsenal but will probably regret that he missed the opportunity to join us (even if it is mostly not his fault a fee couldn't be agreed).
I am very convinced that Klopp used this fella as smokescreen. I remembered Arsenal was eyeing Fekir and City/United looking at Fabinho last summer, and a few other clubs too. We turned our attention to Lemar and everyone seemed to shift their attention as well. Hahahahaha.

Alex

since 2004
I am very convinced that Klopp used this fella as smokescreen. I remembered Arsenal was eyeing Fekir and City/United looking at Fabinho last summer, and a few other clubs too. We turned our attention to Lemar and everyone seemed to shift their attention as well. Hahahahaha.
So we just copied spurs recruitment tactics

Dave-D

Speculation was he was off to Real Madrid until Zidane threw in the towel and now both Barcelona and Atletico are after him. I’d expect like @Zinedine Biscan says above he’ll go wherever Griezmann doesn’t.

Feel like we've dodged a bullet here. We got someone better for a lesser price
I wouldn't put it like that. We seem to have changed target but there's little in it quality wise. As for the price who knows?
I would hazard that Lemar would/will go for a bit less than last years nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.