• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

TIA Opinion: Rodgers right to prioritise League over Europa

News Bot

I'm not a real person, I just add news!
Brendan Rodgers will place priority on Sunday's Premier League home match with Man United as his side travel to Switzerland for their first Europa League group match against Young Boys of Bern on Thursday.

View the full article

OhYaBeauty

I agree completely, we're better off having our strongest side against Man Utd. The Europa League is frankly unimportant and, since the August 31st debacle I think we need to write it off now. We simply don't have the depth to compete on both fronts. So if we can make it through the group stages on the back of our youth strength great. But we shouldn't be playing fragile players in the less important competition if there's an important PL game in a few days.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Then again, if we lose against YB with our crop of youngsters, and then lose against the mancs with our first team...

Ok, enough playing the Cassandras in here. We'll win against YB with Yesil, Pacheco and Suso all opening their goal account for LFC, and then we'll thump the mancs convincingly with a fresh Gerrard, Suarez, Sterling, Agger etc. turning circles around them and destroying them in proper fashion!

1988greatestteam

Wishing for number 6
How are these players going to get some game time if only actually playing. The premier league is ultimately much more important than Thursday night and traveling all over Europe. He is 100% right in getting the young lads some euro experience, and I'm not entirely positive about our 1st team anyway at the moment. We have been very patchy in matches so why not give the young lads a go.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Agree with the article. As far as Matt's point about whether BR learned from the squad's fatigue against Arsenal vs whether no lessons needed be learned since BR just wanted to get us into the group stage, I would guess it's the latter.

I don't have the figures, but I imagine it's worth (risking) throwing away 3 points against Arsenal in order to get the money of getting into the EL group stage. From there we can basically leave it for the youngsters/reserves. Even if we lose every match, we'll have earned at least 830k GBP + if i'm not mistaken. Which is close to what you get for finishing 1 place higher in the PL, right? So unless we finish 2 points behind the guys above us, it was still a smart move to play Suarez, Gerrard, and ensure we get into the group stage. Since we aren't likely in a shout for 4th in any case.

Wathik_LFC

TIA Youth Team
Absolutely, in fact that should be a given. Higher in the league brings more money and a better chance for a top 4 which brings more money and can attract worlds top talent.

mr mustard

TIA Reserve Team
It's the group stage. Even if we don't get a good result, we have the chance to fix it later. Man U is more important because we can advance in the league, get our first win and, well, it's Man U, after all.

Sine

Satan's Junior Caddy
I think Europa is the best place to breed the youngsters in battle.. especially away from home.

I'mn going for a scrappy win with Coates scissor kicking from the halfway line.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
He should be able to field a team for both the league and europe thats good enough to win as I see it.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Correct decision to give the lads a run, actually quite looking forward to seeing this one.

If it doesn't work we can still correct it !!!!!!!

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
Even if we were to lose to YB, that is not the end of the world. The EL group stage is 6 matches. Right now the PL takes signifcantly more importance over the EL. That may change over the next 6-8 weeks, but rightnot we need to get points in the PL. I think that being in the middle of the pack will pacify some people regarding expectations. I certainly don't expect 3 points against ManUre, but it would look great.

I kinda miss Kuyt though. This section of the season would have been perfect for him.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Yes, of course he should play the kids against YB because of Sunday's game. That's a no-brainer. But I wouldn't say that the Europa League is unimportant. Should we get through the group stage, and I think we only have to avoid finishing bottom of the group to do that, then we really should take the competition more seriously. I don't think the other major contenders in the EL dismiss it so lightly and only play their reserves.

Winning the EL means a lot more than winning the League Cup, or even the FA Cup, and as finishing in the top four is unlikely then winning the EL is our best way of attracting the kind of players that we want and need.

supereddman98

Play the youngsters tonight and hopefully uncover a few more who are ready to step up. Never know Suso could have a blinder and challenge Sahin/Gerrard/Allen for a place in the starting 11, same with Yesil/Assaidi they could score a few or set up a few and show they deserve a spot in the starting 11. We've already seen that this season a 17 year old has been our best player, fingers crossed a few more prove there better than some of the first team.

1dragon

TIA Regular
Rodgers is right in this decision, but only if he does not put our hopes of qualifying for the knock out phases into jeopardy. Currently, we are languishing at the bottom of the league table, so it is justified that Rodgers channel resources to keep our hopes of finishing as high up the league table as possible alive. But, I sure hope Rodgers plans to go as far into the EL as possible too, as with the other cups!

a0001matt

TIA Squad Member
Sterling's impact has been huge for us. I hope it inspires the others and puts some belief in them.

mappen1977

TIA Reserve Team
He should be able to field a team for both the league and europe thats good enough to win as I see it.
Mate our squad is not big enough or more crucially good enough in all honesty. A couple of years ago we could handle it but we have been ripped bare to the point we have a plane load of kids going to the game. Not that I mind as it is a good opportunity as if we had a bigger squad they may not get a chance so some good may come of it. In all honesty I would go as far as to say we can not be competitive in multuple competitions looking at the squad, we have to pick our targets now.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Don't think we have the squad depth to say we are going for all competition. So safe to say league would be the basket that Rodgers is going to put all his eggs in. He doesn't really have much of a choice if he wants a healthy first 11 throughout.

warrenb

Sterling's impact has been huge for us. I hope it inspires the others and puts some belief in them.
Sterling has been good individually, but he's made no impact - newly promoted teams aside we're bottom of the league. What kind of 'impact' is that??

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Sterling has been good individually, but he's made no impact - newly promoted teams aside we're bottom of the league. What kind of 'impact' is that??
You are a bit over the top there. You want a bit 17 year old debutant to carry the team to victory in every game he played? There are tonnes of senior players that has done jack and you picked on a young boy coming off our youth rank? Golden......

OhYaBeauty

You are a bit over the top there. You want a bit 17 year old debutant to carry the team to victory in every game he played? There are tonnes of senior players that has done jack and you picked on a young boy coming off our youth rank? Golden......
Warren's not exactly known for well thought out posts. See the Jordan Henderson thread...

Back on topic now, I think Rodgers has done well. He rested all of our key players, gave a few likely starters for Sunday run-outs (Sahin, Shelvey, Sterling), used youth in the first team, and picked up a victory. The only thing he might have done is give Robinson playing time but I understand giving Enrique a game to find form. Man did that backfire...

Gears

TIA Regular
Rodgers is brilliant with youth.

I think this is the first time in over a decade where the youth team is being managed better by the senior coach than the senior team is being managed! It's almost like the europa league became our reserve league.

We placed priority in the league by playing our senior players, yet we won more games with our youth in the europa. What does that say? Perhaps prioritizing senior players has made us weaker.

This youth team is 10x more motivated than this senior team which is good, but Rodgers needs to find out why the experienced players are not as strong anymore and remotivate them quick.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Our defense (whatever is left of it after today) needs to play together.

Especially Pepe with his main defenders. I don't care if it's EL, PL or Capital 1. Play the same guys until they sort out their problems. When they manage to get clean sheets one game after another, then we can consider rotation.

At this time, we need stability in the defense and Pepe especially, needs an opportunity to get out of this ditch he is in. Resting him won't help.