• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

TIA Opinion: Samed Yesil – The Young Boy to face Young Boys

News Bot

I'm not a real person, I just add news!
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers will include 18 year old Samed Yesil in his squad to face Young Boys in the Europa League this week, we take a closer look at the German dubbed 'Gerd'.

View the full article

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
I hope he gets more support than a lot of the younger players before him, Sterling being the obvious exception. Just because young players don't come out of the box firing on all cylinders doesn't mean they don't have equal potential to push on and reach a similar level to where sterling might end up. Players progress at different levels and peak at different ages, and to think that if they're not world class be 23, they're useless is insane. What's an even greater shame is the success of Sterling will only draw comparisons and harsher criticism of potential youth players because they'll have to live in his shadow (if you don't think that'll happen you're fooling yourself). They're professional athletes yeah, but they're not machines. Especially the younger ones who I'd assume take the criticism much, much harder.

For the life of me I'll never understand why the supporters get on the backs of Henderson, Borini and at times Shelvey, and before them Lucas. If we want to attract world class youth players then we should have an environment where we support them. We should do everything possible to ensure they succeed, as all three of the aforementioned players have shown obvious flashes of brilliance. Confidence goes a long way and while we can't make them play like world class players, we can give them the confidence to push on.

I'm not saying criticism isn't okay, but use some common sense and shy away from making absolute statements such as this in regards to jordan:

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)][font="'Helvetica Neue"]
[/font]
[font="'Helvetica Neue"]I hope not. We need to do well in Europe to preserve our rapidly dwindling status as a big club. Getting knocked out early just to needlessly give game time to someone who has demonstrated that he is totally out of his depth playing professional football isn't the way forward.[/font]
[font="'Helvetica Neue"]
[/font][/background]

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]I fail to see how this contributes to the forum, or helps a Liverpool player push on to achieve their potential.[/background]

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Clearly the lad has talent - one thing I've noticed with our strikers of late, they seem to crumble under the pressure. Carroll is the stand out but also Torres (although that wasn't just a Liverpool problem) and it's happening with Borini too. Glimpses of class but ultimately no final product...This is the only worry I have for Yesil.

I think the criticism on the younger players is more due to us having to play them regularly as we haven't got enough depth in the squad. Hendo last season was played out of position, week in week out. You could also argue that Borini is getting the same treatment although he was a regular for Roma last season, he had to fight for his position there. Here, you could argue that he's a guaranteed starter.

Yesil will have that competition which is more than healthy for him, definitely think it's right to give him a shot in the Europa league. We desperately need goals from somewhere and look what happened to Mr Sterling when he was given his opporunity...

OhYaBeauty

I hope he gets more support than a lot of the younger players before him, Sterling being the obvious exception. Just because young platters don't come out of the box firing on all cylinders doesn't mean they don't have equal potential to push on and reach a similar level to where sterling might end up. Players progress at different levels and peak at different ages, and to think that if they're not world class be 23, they're useless is insane. What's an even greater shame is the success of Sterling will only draw comparisons and harsher criticism of potential youth players because they'll have to live in his shadow (if you don't think that'll happen you're fooling yourself). They're professional athletes yeah, but they're not machines. Especially the younger ones who I'd assume take the criticism much, much harder.

For the life of me I'll never understand why the supporters get on the backs of Henderson, Borini and at times Shelvey, and before them Lucas. If we want to attract world class youth players then we should have an environment where we support them. We should do everything possible to ensure they succeed, as all three of the aforementioned players have shown obvious flashes of brilliance. Confidence goes a long way and while we can't make them play like world class players, we can give them the confidence to push on.

I'm not saying criticism isn't okay, but use some common sense and shy away from making absolute statements such as this in regards to jordan:

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)][font="'Helvetica Neue"][/font][/background]

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]I fail to see how this contributes to the forum, or helps a Liverpool player push on to achieve their potential.[/background]
This, exactly. Its important to lay off the expectations on them. Some of them can handle it and use it as fuel to improve, as Raheem has done, but others, like Pacheco, crumble under it.

I think that Samed Yesil seems to be mentally strong enough to deal with it but that's for us to see, and likely soon. Exciting times ahead, as we have quite a few bright young talents that look like they're reaching the point where they're ready for some first team chances. Morgan, Ngoo, Yesil, Suso, Pacheco, Robinson, Flanagan, McLaughlin and Wisdom should all get a chance in the cups and the Europa League this season. Perhaps Sama and Coady as well...

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
This, exactly. Its important to lay off the expectations on them. Some of them can handle it and use it as fuel to improve, as Raheem has done, but others, like Pacheco, crumble under it.

I think that Samed Yesil seems to be mentally strong enough to deal with it but that's for us to see, and likely soon. Exciting times ahead, as we have quite a few bright young talents that look like they're reaching the point where they're ready for some first team chances. Morgan, Ngoo, Yesil, Suso, Pacheco, Robinson, Flanagan, McLaughlin and Wisdom should all get a chance in the cups and the Europa League this season. Perhaps Sama and Coady as well...
I'm sorry, but when anyone pulls on that red shirt and represents our beloved club, they are expected to be at a certain level and are expected to handle any pressures coming with the expectations of the club, if you can't handle those expectations, then you shouldn't be at the club

Anthony

I'm sorry, but when anyone pulls on that red shirt and represents our beloved club, they are expected to be at a certain level and are expected to handle any pressures coming with the expectations of the club, if you can't handle those expectations, then you shouldn't be at the club
It is such a fine line to walk. The guy is still a kid, so the expectations MUST be different to a star player with tons of experiece. But when you where the Red shirt the #1 expectation must be that you give your all every moment of evewry game.........expectations only mean something when they are put in context

Libero

We all obviously want our young players that come through to do well, when you watch Sterling play you sense the anticipation from the crowd when he gets the ball, the atmosphere goes up a bit and i think this helps build confidence, not just for Raheem but the whole team.

Young players tend to play without fear and caution as they are keen to impress so here's hoping Yesil grabs his chance.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
So what is that level are you talking about? The way we put it, its like expecting my 10 year old son to bring in the bread and butter for the family. Bringing in the bread and butter for the family is my responsibility, not my 10 yr old son, at least not yet but of course when he is able to work after years of studies and equipping and learning, then yes, he will be expected to.

The only expectation we should have of our youths is that they give their best like what you say. But if that level that you are talking, is that every youth that comes in must play to that level of Sterling or even to Suarez, then I think we need to be realistic. Having a 17yr old Sterling coming into the first team and playing so well is an exception rather than a norm. Every player that puts on the red shirt needs to live with expectations but for a youth, they need to be given a reasonable time to be nurtured and taught and to learn so that when their time comes, they will, like you say, handle those expectations. I understand what you are trying to say but I think my 10 yr old son will be distraught if I were to tell him tonight that he needs to man up and start earning a living and as a male species, he just got to handle those expectations or else he is out of the family.

DISCLAIMER: I do not have a son. Just using it as an example. hehehe

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
For every Sterling there's lots more like Insua... who came in and stayed in because we had no-one else to do that job, and ended up getting a lot of flak. Nobody could say he wasn't trying, but he was what he looked like, an inexperienced lad doing his best in a difficult situation. For what it's worth I thought he did a decent job and was appalled at some of the criticism he received.

What happened? The club seemed to listen to supporters and sacked him off, now he's apparently doing extremely well in Portugal and looking like a proper player. I have no doubt the season he played in our first team was instrumental in his development, yet the reception he got from our supporters means we aren't the club that is now benefiting from that.

My biggest fear at the moment is that it will be a similar story for Borini and Hendo, or any other young kids that come through and don't tear it up from the very start.

On another forum, there's a poster who has slated Shelvey since his first tenatative appearances in the team, and is only now grudgingly admitting that he isn't terrible... I find it sad.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Yesil has shown that he is an outstanding prospect but frankly he has not had time to settle into the Liverpool way. He played an hour for the U21's where he made some great runs off the ball and got a few strikes on. Frankly he should have scored but it was his first game for us and not speaking English makes it more difficult for him. He did not look particularly strong physically in that game either but despite these problems put himself about and showed a good attitude.
There is no doubt he is a good prospect but I think he will take a bit more time to settle in.Good luck to the lad if/when he gets on, I am sure he won't let us down but we must not let him down either by being impatient.

sami

TIA First Team
Don't think Yesil was ever in line for an appearance this season. The fact that the club posted images of him signing a contract and everything got everyone excited. That has put unnecessary hype around the player. Fans will consider him to be a regular first team signing like Borini or Sahin, purely because the club promoted and hyped his signing.

Don't be surprised if in a few weeks, we have goalscoring issues, comments like "Where the hell is Yesil; Why isnt he playing; What a waste signing"... and ofcourse the old "Why spend 1m on an unknown and not play him when Owen was available for free". Blimey!

But are obvious lack of strikers has forced us to look to Yesil. Heard alot about him and looks a decent player. Youngsters getting first team opportunities is something we've hoped for for many years. Lets home this non-deliberate move proves to be a good one. I enjoy watching a young 18-19 year old score more than a 25m+ player score.

kwala

TIA Regular
Just hope we can create the chances for him. All cf's need service. If he is a natural finisher, he will e in the right place waiting. We desperately need to find a goal scorer before January. Let's hope this kid is up to it.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
This game could be Suso's first competitive start too , hope they can take the chance like Raheem has. IMO Suso is probably even more talented then Raheem but doesn't yet possess the same work ethic. Yesil looks a natural goal scorer whose stepped up at every level he has played, this however wil be a much bigger leap then he's every had to do before but hopefully he grabs his chance with both hands and is capable of doing a decent job for us

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
For every Sterling there's lots more like Insua... who came in and stayed in because we had no-one else to do that job, and ended up getting a lot of flak. Nobody could say he wasn't trying, but he was what he looked like, an inexperienced lad doing his best in a difficult situation. For what it's worth I thought he did a decent job and was appalled at some of the criticism he received.

What happened? The club seemed to listen to supporters and sacked him off, now he's apparently doing extremely well in Portugal and looking like a proper player. I have no doubt the season he played in our first team was instrumental in his development, yet the reception he got from our supporters means we aren't the club that is now benefiting from that.

My biggest fear at the moment is that it will be a similar story for Borini and Hendo, or any other young kids that come through and don't tear it up from the very start.

On another forum, there's a poster who has slated Shelvey since his first tenatative appearances in the team, and is only now grudgingly admitting that he isn't terrible... I find it sad.
I really worry that Sterling's meteoric rise will make it harder for others in the future. "Well he's no Sterling." Just like how every young midfielder is compared to Gerrard at that age. No shit they're not Steven Gerrard. There's only one, and will only ever be one. But they can go on and be their own man/own player., and very good ones at that.

OhYaBeauty

Don't think Yesil was ever in line for an appearance this season. The fact that the club posted images of him signing a contract and everything got everyone excited. That has put unnecessary hype around the player. Fans will consider him to be a regular first team signing like Borini or Sahin, purely because the club promoted and hyped his signing.

Don't be surprised if in a few weeks, we have goalscoring issues, comments like "Where the hell is Yesil; Why isnt he playing; What a waste signing"... and ofcourse the old "Why spend 1m on an unknown and not play him when Owen was available for free". Blimey!

But are obvious lack of strikers has forced us to look to Yesil. Heard alot about him and looks a decent player. Youngsters getting first team opportunities is something we've hoped for for many years. Lets home this non-deliberate move proves to be a good one. I enjoy watching a young 18-19 year old score more than a 25m+ player score.
Well you sold him to us, Sami, so there!

On a serious note, I do think he was bought with the attention of getting him some game time with the first team this year. He's clearly reached the point with the Leverkusen reserves and Germany's youth teams that there's not really much else he can do at that level. All that's left is to fit into the new system that we have here, and make sporadic appearances with the first team to get him acclimated to first team football.

I do hope though that people will realize he's in much the same spot as Pacheco was a couple of years ago. He's too good for the reserves, but not yet good enough for the first team, and for that reason we should lay off the expectations, i.e. not calling him a waste of a million quid and expecting goals.

That being said, he seems much stronger mentally than Pacheco and I think his skills suit our system perfectly, so I do think that he'll do well if given the chances. But I don't expect him to.

This game could be Suso's first competitive start too , hope they can take the chance like Raheem has. IMO Suso is probably even more talented then Raheem but doesn't yet possess the same work ethic. Yesil looks a natural goal scorer whose stepped up at every level he has played, this however wil be a much bigger leap then he's every had to do before but hopefully he grabs his chance with both hands and is capable of doing a decent job for us
I would agree that Suso's more talented technically, but with Raheem's physical gifts, he easily takes the cake. Raheem's still got good technique, but he's also fast, strong for his size, and doesn't get pushed off the ball in a challenge. Suso is a bit lightweight physically.

I really worry that Sterling's meteoric rise will make it harder for others in the future. "Well he's no Sterling." Just like how every young midfielder is compared to Gerrard at that age. No shit they're not Steven Gerrard. There's only one, and will only ever be one. But they can go on and be their own man/own player., and very good ones at that.
Too right, its why we could never find a replacement for Alonso. He left, and nobody could fill those shoes. And even now we compare Shelvey and Henderson in terms of their suitability to replace Stevie in the future. It's easy to compare players, but expecting a like-for-like replacement is foolish.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
I think it's a bit early to be mentioning Sterling in the same breath as Gerrard. Sterling looks great and it's really encouraging but I think we all need to temper our enthusiasm for him a little. He can beat a man but he's not consistently putting in goals or assists, when he starts doing that my enthusiasm will increase ten fold. Just need to be careful with him, he's not "made it" but is showing promise.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
I think it's a bit early to be mentioning Sterling in the same breath as Gerrard. Sterling looks great and it's really encouraging but I think we all need to temper our enthusiasm for him a little. He can beat a man but he's not consistently putting in goals or assists, when he starts doing that my enthusiasm will increase ten fold. Just need to be careful with him, he's not "made it" but is showing promise.
You're missing my point. I'm not saying he will be as good as gerrard. Not in the least. My point was that if young players don't make the immediate impact that sterling (or a young Steven gerrard) has they'll be deemed as not good enough when they still havd plenty of time to develop.

Genius

The Somewhat Normal One
This lad looks promising.
Cant wait to watch him play in the next match

sami

TIA First Team
There are always gonna be fans that will put Sterling as a benchmark and disregard the fact that it takes time for youngster to develop into the first team, Sterling being an exception. What is important is that the management are rational enough, which i think they are.

daddydave

TIA Youth Team
It's about time our young players started breaking through. The truly most successful teams over the past 20 - 30 years have always started out with a good crop of young players breaking through, Ajax, barca, the scum even. We haven't had a good group of young players since fowler Owen and Gerrard. We without a doubt have one of the most exciting bunch of young players that has been assembled in a long time. They may not have clicked just yet but success will follow.

TassieRed

TIA Regular
The problem with our young players is we always seem to NEED to put them on. Too much pressure is placed upon them. It's not their fault that we don't have s strong spine and squad depth.

Blooding new players is all well and good but it works best when they are coming into a strong and successful team. That way, any screw ups they make is covered for by the senior players and they don't lose their confidence.

It's not Borinis, Yesils, Sterlings, or Susos fault that we are desperate. They are just young kids and I just hope their development isn't damaged by having too much pressure put on them.

Not everyone can deal with sustained pressure and being slated at a young age. Not everyone is as tough as Lucas and can just tough it out for a year or two.

I wish all our youngsters the very best and I hope the more experienced members of our team dig deep and provide them the support they need.

Aldini98

TIA Regular
So this kid is the "new Gerd Muller" ?

Lets hope he fairs better than the "new Zidane" did ......

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
This kid has the nack of scoring goals. I rate him a lot, after watching his goal scoaring spree at youth level. I think he is unpolished, and if i was to gamble, i would put my money on this lad to score the goal today.

mappen1977

TIA Reserve Team
I have never seen him play so I am looking forwad to it, be it starting or from the bench. Lucky boy in some respects, when over the last few years would a kid like this find himself playing 1st team football for liverpool? Hope he grabs the opportunity with both hands and scores a goal.

Bambii

TIA Reserve Team
Born May 25th. Hopefully thats a good omen with our 5th european cup win.

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
I watched the U 21 game against chelsea and a few internationals he's played in. He definatly knows how to finish ( you wouldnt know it from the chelsea game though ) but he also has great movement and drops back to help start moves off.
I think himself and Suso could bring the best out of each other. If the right runs are made Suso WILL ( not might ) pick them out.