• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

TIA Opinion: Suarez, Diver or Dedicated?

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Entire media has potrayed suarez as a villan. For me, he symbolises passion, persistence and more importantly a balls of steel.
Very few players in the hisotry of football can carry such a burden. Character assassination by the media. All managers,players, the so called pun-dits having a dig. He is no way a diver, he gets carried away because he is a born winner.
For all the media scums who potray him as a diver, i loved his "scouse wit" when he actually dived to make a mockery of moyes.
i read this some where:
Terry racist
young diver
Rooney thug
all bloody evident.
And they say suarez is a racist diving thug.
Bloody bunch of hypocrates!
Call him whatever you want, for me he is a legend!

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Luis Suarez is a cheat in my book and a constant embarrassment to our club’s good name. His incredible footballing ability is sadly outweighed by a constant series of mental meltdowns that humiliate him and us. I wasn’t keen on the idea of signing a player who once bit another player whilst on the pitch. I was ashamed with his behavior with Evra and it just goes on and on and on. He goes to ground quicker than my first girlfriend and needs even less physical contact. He is cringingly bad at cheating but it doesn’t stop him doing it every match.

I’d sell him in a heartbeat and if we replaced him with a player 90% as good and not constantly the centre of everybody’s attention for all the wrong reasons, that would be good business IMHO. He is the loosest of loose cannons and I fear for the next Suarez centered media frenzy.

While he remains a Liverpool player, I’ll celebrate his goals and wince and swear at him for acting like Bambi on ice when somebody sneezes in his general direction. Yes, he gets a good kicking at times and doesn’t get the decisions but given his track record, is anybody even vaguely surprised? MOTD do the usual "Suarez is great now let’s watch highlights of him being petulant and falling over” Some would say they do this because they hate Liverpool. I’d say they do it because it’s a true reflexion of his behaviour on the pitch.

Not a popular view I know but I am at least consistent.
Well, its fair you had your point of view. But for onces put yourself in his boots. If you have been wrongly placed in such scandals, wouldnt you be wanting to hear support from your loved ones. Especially if your are 100% sure you didnt do anything wrong. Coming back to the topic, about diving, Tell me which club in the EPL doesnt have a diver, or lets put it in a subtle term, a player who doesnt go down softly? Admit, suarez ocassionaly dives, but if you actually look at it, its hardly 10% of the time. The remaining 90% there is a genuine contact.

redamerican

Do these US fans who dont like soccer because of its "pussies" watch 350 pound men who feel the need to wear armour before playing Rugby?
Not to answer for steveo but if they're anything like my buddies, then yes. Don't want to rant or stray off topic but it's ridiculous how the American sports media loves to portray NFL players as some type of fearless warrior. The NFL frankly pretty much sucks IMO. Sorry - had to get that off my chest.

redamerican

I'd say he's both. I don't know how anyone can say he doesn't dive...alot. And his constant whining does him no favors either. But no one can question his effort and desire to win. He may be no worse than some others but he's right up there with the best of them at least in terms of frequency. Like a couple others said, the believability (is that a word?) is another story. He acts like he just stepped on land mine when someone barely clips the back of his foot. Either way, I still love him and don't want to see him go.

FreakLFC

Suarez is not a cheat. He is a very very smart player. Its the twisting and turning that referees and defenders can't keep up with. Obviously, when we look at the replay and look closely we notice Suarez doesn't really dive. He is actually too smart and fast for the players and the referees.
For the support and encouragement of such players we need VIDEO REFEREES!
And also its his bad luck that his reputation has become like this. He is only loved by us and his wife and kid and his parents. The rest of the world hates him and probably are jealous that they dont have him.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
IMO Suarez does whatever he can to win the game. It is his competitive nature. (In the world cup he handballs a direct goal and get sent off but Uruguay won - is this cheating?) Whether he goes down diving or not, that is why you have refs there to judge him. At the end of the day it is the referee who gives the penalty, red card, foul for diving etc.

I have seen Luis blatantly fouled and not given anything and other times he fell without contact and a decision is given for him. Either we get better refs at making decisions on the spot or we get instant replay technology to help, whatever it is the decision has to be spot on. This is not just for Luis Suarez, but for all other players. The media is unfairly putting the microscope on Luis when there are other worst blunders (disallowed goal due to offside, Red card for diving when it is a blatant foul by defender and list goes on for every game)

Yes let's sell Suarez. We will win the league in no time with the amount of of world class players lining up to join our club!

And of course he is definitely the only player who dives in England. Fergie and Moyes said so themselves! I mean can you imagine the outrage if players like Ashley Young or Danny Welbeck or Nani or Valencia or Phil Neville dived? We would never hear the end of it!

Brendan Rodgers has leapt to the defence of Liverpool striker Luis Suarez once more, warning other managers that they should control their own players before accusing others of diving.

Suarez, 25, was most recently criticised by Everton manager David Moyes ahead of last week's Merseyside derby, with Moyes claiming that the Uruguayan's antics turn fans away from the game.

But Rodgers believes Suarez has been unjustly used as a scapegoat for a problem that is much bigger than one player.

"I believe this will be the ongoing debate, and now people will see that diving is an issue which is at every club - it is widespread within the game," Rodgers said. "It is ridiculous to single out one man, because every single club has an issue."

Three Premier League players received bookings for simulation last weekend - Angel Rangel, Phil Neville and Fernando Torres - prompting suggestions from Rodgers that Suarez should no longer be the topic of debate.

"Just look at last weekend, and two players you would deem to be great professionals - Angel Rangel and Neville - almost above criticism," he said. "Rangel was booked against Manchester City for diving but I worked with him for two years at Swansea and he's one of the most honest, genuine people I've come across in my life. But he got booked for diving.

"Neville is 35 and over the years you would consider him to be a really honest guy, an impeccable professional. But then he gets booked for diving after his manager has read the riot act to his players by all accounts. Then you have Fernando Torres booked for diving.

"So managers have made a criticism of Luis, but I can guarantee you they will have players who are criticised for diving. Hopefully people won't continue to vilify Luis just because he was the easy target before, and look beyond themselves and their own players to see it's part of the game.

"Of course we don't like it when it's blatant and personally I believe we must continue to fight to eradicate that. But it is nonsense to suggest it's just a problem with Luis Suarez."

Suarez received close attention from the Everton defence during the 2-2 draw at Goodison Park, but Rodgers insists he will not be recriprocating any mind games forced on by opposition players.

"I honestly don't think you can wind Luis up, by having a go at him for diving or anything else," Rodgers said. "Others have tried to use it as a psychological tool to put him off and affect referees but it makes him stronger.

"Looking at his performance levels, consistency and goals he's scored, they'd be better off saying nothing. He'll always divide opinion. If he's on your team people will love him but if he isn't he'll get a bit of stick, but that's because he's world class.

"When I was at Swansea and we played Liverpool, I told the players: 'This guy is a nuisance but for the right reasons because he's a top player'. He's a real threat in and around the box so you have to be careful. If people criticise him, they are wrong, and I guarantee if they do, the support he gets from me will grow stronger because of how genuine I see he is."

http://soccernet.esp...critics?cc=4716

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Great response by Rodgers, basically "Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!"

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
they can say what they want about suarez, but he has never tried to deliberately get a player sent off as the scum nani did at anfield when he threw his self on the floor to try and get carra a red card. and there was a european game between the scum and montpellier when mark hughes threw himself on the floor to get a montpellier player sent off.........................the problem is that far too many people in the press take what demento says as gospel.

Libero

He comes from the latin school of football where you do whatever it takes to gain an advantage and to win. He reminds me of latino heat from wwf, i cheat, i lie, i steal :lol:

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
one final word on the racism thing, i have a friend in montevideo called esteban, he has a typical hispanic complexion, quite similar to luis, estebans nickname is negro, even his mother calls him negro, this is a very common term used in uruguay as friendly banter.

what the F.A did was incomprehensible,as in my opinion they took the word negro totally out of context by treating the word as a european derogatory term instead of being part of the everyday language of a uruguayan, so perhaps the F.A themselves should be brought to account for their failure to respect another persons cultural upbringing...............

as for the diving, i certainly don't condone it but luis is a showman, much in the same vein as the likes of ronaldo, messi, marradonna and even the great pele himself, players who excite crowds and put bums on seats, stifle that and you lose the player, that is why luis won the copa americas player of the tournament ahead of lionel messi and if we suggested that he might be for sale then clubs would be queuing round the block to sign him. i have been watching the reds since 1961 and hand on heart i have to say luis is one of the most exciting players i have seen wear the red shirt. he plays every game off the cuff and makes things happen in a spectacular way the nearest i have seen to luis at anfield was john barnes who was also a great footballing showman................................

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Luis Suarez is a cheat in my book and a constant embarrassment to our club’s good name.
Massive respect to you for having the balls to put that out there.

What I would say in response is that a game where diving and embellishment is seen as worse than potentially career ending tackles, is a game that has lost it's moral compass.

We know that Luis dives about. We know that plenty others do as well, like Bale, Young, Neville, Carroll, Gerrard. You'd be hard pressed to find a player in this league who doesn't. Diving was practically invented by Franny Lee and Trevor Francis in the 70s.

For some reason the narrative focuses on Suarez, and that narrative isn't they fact that players resort to kicking lumps out of him to stop him. Luis has been on the end of three or four challenges that could have resulted in serious injury, and yet he is the villain for a bit of play acting.

The game needs to find its priorities. Nobody is going to have their career ended by diving. I said this after the Everton match but I'd like to know why trying to con the ref by diving is worse than trying to con the ref by shouting you never touched him, when you know you did. Or appealing for a goal to be disallowed when you know it should have stood. Why is waving an imaginary card worse than making a 'dive' action. Why is drawing attention to being kicked worse than being kicked.

In my opinion the whole debate around morality and ethics in the game is completely the wrong way round, and naive at best. If player could be expected to behave with morality in the game we would need referees.

Whats worse is if the FA had the sense to have the fourth official watching on a delayed feed most of this stuff would disappear overnight.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Making the odd criticism of our players and manager is perfectly warranted in my book, but at the end of the day supporting Liverpool Football Club is unconditional for me.

Suarez can be theatrical and is a bit of a serial moaner, I dont have much respect for Gerrard the person, but at the end of the day, they're ours.

There's a very disturbing trend amongst fans these days where slagging off and even insulting players and ex players appears to be big and trendy.

To all the Liverpool and non Liverpool fans constantly on Suarez' back, the only response I have for you is, your opinion is irrelevant to me.
Luis is ours, so fuck you :p

RedSeven

On the one road
Massive respect to you for having the balls to put that out there.

What I would say in response is that a game where diving and embellishment is seen as worse than potentially career ending tackles, is a game that has lost it's moral compass.

We know that Luis dives about. We know that plenty others do as well, like Bale, Young, Neville, Carroll, Gerrard. You'd be hard pressed to find a player in this league who doesn't. Diving was practically invented by Franny Lee and Trevor Francis in the 70s.

For some reason the narrative focuses on Suarez, and that narrative isn't they fact that players resort to kicking lumps out of him to stop him. Luis has been on the end of three or four challenges that could have resulted in serious injury, and yet he is the villain for a bit of play acting.

The game needs to find its priorities. Nobody is going to have their career ended by diving. I said this after the Everton match but I'd like to know why trying to con the ref by diving is worse than trying to con the ref by shouting you never touched him, when you know you did. Or appealing for a goal to be disallowed when you know it should have stood. Why is waving an imaginary card worse than making a 'dive' action. Why is drawing attention to being kicked worse than being kicked.

In my opinion the whole debate around morality and ethics in the game is completely the wrong way round, and naive at best. If player could be expected to behave with morality in the game we would need referees.

Whats worse is if the FA had the sense to have the fourth official watching on a delayed feed most of this stuff would disappear overnight.
Great point Mascott.What i'd like to know is are these things pointed out to the FA/refs when the managers link up with them on official business.I'm sure BR has spoken to them in an official capacity,has he asked the questions you have mentioned above.Can particular players(as Suarez is) be picked as an example of ones who regularly do these things you have mentioned,can they be described as serial cheats.
Maybe someone should take your point up and do an article on it

lfc55555

TIA First Team
Luis Suarez is a cheat in my book and a constant embarrassment to our club’s good name. His incredible footballing ability is sadly outweighed by a constant series of mental meltdowns that humiliate him and us. I wasn’t keen on the idea of signing a player who once bit another player whilst on the pitch. I was ashamed with his behavior with Evra and it just goes on and on and on. He goes to ground quicker than my first girlfriend and needs even less physical contact. He is cringingly bad at cheating but it doesn’t stop him doing it every match.

I’d sell him in a heartbeat and if we replaced him with a player 90% as good and not constantly the centre of everybody’s attention for all the wrong reasons, that would be good business IMHO. He is the loosest of loose cannons and I fear for the next Suarez centered media frenzy.

While he remains a Liverpool player, I’ll celebrate his goals and wince and swear at him for acting like Bambi on ice when somebody sneezes in his general direction. Yes, he gets a good kicking at times and doesn’t get the decisions but given his track record, is anybody even vaguely surprised? MOTD do the usual "Suarez is great now let’s watch highlights of him being petulant and falling over” Some would say they do this because they hate Liverpool. I’d say they do it because it’s a true reflexion of his behaviour on the pitch.

Not a popular view I know but I am at least consistent.
zidane head butted someone in a world cup final, cantona kung fu kicked someone in the stands, klinsmann was famed for diving , one of the worse divers in la liga is xavi, whilst ronaldo is a terrible diver. rivaldo was a bit of a cheater as well and would do anything to get a penalty or an opposition player sent off.

all the maverick type players that have something special about them have a certain mentality to over step the mark, its what gives them that edge.

consistently going down easily is a bit embarrassing but occasionally doing it at certain times to give you an edge is not a problem in my opinion. suarez just needs to pick his moments better.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
When it comes to this diving bullshit I always remember one Barca match I watched, I forget who they were playing since it was a few years ago, but there was one point in the match that has stuck with me:
Messi was in the box, there was clear contact but rather than going to the ground he fought to keep his footing and tried to play the game. The commentators at the time, and even afterwards showed a replay to reiterate their point, said that Messi was actually hurting his team by not exaggerating the contact and that he clearly should have gone to the ground once the contact was made to draw the penalty.

that's because Messi NEVER dives. the people that say even he does clearly are not paying attention...

Any ways, Suarez was known as cheat and a diver by some before he ever came to us. I never agreed with that. I really don't care if he goes down easy but sometimes it does bother me when he and other players are drama acting... acting like they are seriously injured to fake the ref. I hate this and if a player did that while I was playing I would be screaming in their face telling them to get the fuck up much like Agger does often. I hate nani for this and well I can't be a hypocrite because Suarez has done the same thing at times honestly. Suarez is the only real big drama actor on our squad.. and well he is the best player on our squad as well.... so I rather give him a pass just like the rest of you and not really care about it to much. The problem though is he has built a reputation so it's hard for him to actually get a penalty if one is really deserved so he is only hurting himself in the long run by the dramatics.

Any ways, since he plays for Liverpool I would never call him a cheat or diver... I never did before he played for us either. but if Suarez played for the mancs.. a lot of us would be calling him a cheat and/or a diver I bet.. I'm just glad he is on our side. Regardless... he is one of the most exciting and entertaining players in the league that is a must see.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
i went to el classico 3 years ago and messi did dive on more than one occasion, so to say he never dives is bollocks.

Dr_J

TIA Reserve Team
Center backs go down easy when their back is against the goal and the forward is breathing down their back... Everyone does it

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
like i said before luis is a great player and more importantly he is our great player.............

steveo72

TIA Youth Team
Do these US fans who dont like soccer because of its "pussies" watch 350 pound men who feel the need to wear armour before playing Rugby?
Remind those friends that there is diving in the NFL, the NBA (probably the worst of all professional sports), the NHL and MLB as well as soccer/football.
Saw this a bit later. Oh yes...defend the game every chance I get. Its basically beating a dead horse for people who do not understand the game, as simple as it is. Add in the flopping, especially with some European flair and "pussy" comments come out in droves. It has always baffled me how they can watch the NFL but yet not be in awe of rugby players beating the hell out of each other. Or even NHL players flying around battering each other three times a week. American football (the institution), which I still watch as well, gets all the credit. To each their own I suppose.

Off topic.....sorry about that.

Suarez is class...that Phil Neville, what a cheating bastard B)