• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

TIA - Player of the season 2018/2019

TIA Player of the season 2018/19

• TAA (our best full-back since Finnan, with so much potential for better things to come)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho (has made the sitting position his own now, definitely)

• Firmino (the man who makes it happen in attack)

• Matip (not bad from our fourth choice defender)

• Milner (the dependable maid for every task at hand, numerous assists and goals)

• Keita (difficult start, getting better and better)

• Shaqiri (double against the red mancs)

• Sturridge (miracle goal at Chelsea in the last minute)

• Origi (miracle goal against Everton in the last second)

• Lallana (nice haircut)

• Total voters

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
So, 2/3 of the way through the league campaign, and with a total of only 19 games remaining this season, there has to be a short list for this award.

If someone would be so nice to stick a poll in here, it would be interesting to see predictions, views and a comparison to the actual club award to the player of the season.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
The old saying goes 'goals wins you games but defending wins you trophies‘

We don’t need to win a trophy to know that Virgil van Dijk is our most influential player, our player of the year 2018 and the 18/19 season.

We had Torres, Suarez, Sturridge and now Salah after Salah we will have another goalscorer.

But our defense was shit since Hyypiä and Rafa Benitez left. VvD came in and without time to adapt he came, saw, conquered.

All hail emperor van Dijk!!!

C

Caradoc

Player of the season usually gets judged at the end of the season .......

Just saying like ....... !

I mean the Nabster could score a hat-trick in all of our remaining matches and we win the EPL-ECL double as a result!

Let’s not jump the gun now ...... :well done:

lol

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
So, 2/3 of the way through the league campaign, and with a total of only 19 games remaining this season, there has to be a short list for this award.

If someone would be so nice to stick a poll in here, it would be interesting to see predictions, views and a comparison to the actual club award to the player of the season.
Player of the season usually gets judged at the end of the season .......

Let’s not jump the gun now ......

C

Caradoc

I was just having a bit of fun ......... it was all purely tongue-in-cheek .......... hence the quite ridiculous point about Keita (the laughing emoticon was another clue! ;-) ) ......... just saying like ........... :well done:

Last edited by a moderator:

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Wijnaldum has been our best player imo, closely followed by Robertson. Both have been truly outstanding. Van Dijk, Becker, Gomez, Mane have also been brilliant. Fabinho is now impressing. Impossible to say who the best has been really, you could make arguments for half a dozen of our magnificent men.

As much as Virgil is the man and our most important player, nobody has been better than Gini imo. Thinking about it, up until his injury you could make an argument for Gomez, he was playing awesome football wasn't he?

Last edited:
C

Caradoc

I’m pretty sure you need to do this when you initially start/set up the thread ....... its right at the bottom. I think it can only be done by the thread starter or Admin/a Mod. Now that your editing period has expired it’ll probably need to be Admin/a Mod.

Why not PM a couple of Mods and ask them to do it? Tell them how you want it to be set up. It could be fun to see how posters vote although I suspect Virgil will run away with it. Then again there’s Robertson, Mo and Gini so you never know!

Barnestormer

Left wing.
A tough call this year. For me its not the show ponies that get this, its the player that consistently performs the best across the season. Which is harsh because Mo and Mane have been very good of late, (Mane slighlty better IMO) but Mo stuttered with his shoulder (and then averted a crisis :eh?:) for the first months of the season, and casting my mind back, I remember Milner being the stand out performer in those early months.

So I would have to say its one from either Gini, Virgil or Robbo. At this stage, Im punting for Gini...............because he's just everywhere, doing the donkey work, holding it all together.

MW2833

Van Dijk for me
However, Salah, Alisson, Fabinho and Gomez deserve a lot of credit too:
Salah for ignoring all the doubters, who called him a one-season wonder (and are now calling him a diver), and still scoring 20 goals.
Alisson and Fabinho for fitting in so well, even if in Fabinho's case it took a couple of months.
Gomez for recovering from his big injuries earlier in his career to become our starting left-back and even outshine Van Dijk in a few games.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Gomez! We've been conceding more than we've had when he was a starter with Van Dijk. That's my pick. With him around, Van Dijk can be careless and he'll be there to sweep up those loose ends. Without him, we been conceding silly goals. So yeah.... Gomez for me.

And we could do the biggest twat fourmer awards as well
Already saw a couple of them in here to be nominated.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
We went from conceding 40-50 goals a season to (based on current rate) 22, and while it would be wrong to say he's single-handedly responsible for that, there's no doubt in my mind his is by far the most significant factor in that, so Van Dijk for me. He's not only the best player this season, I'd say that he looks to be the best defender I've seen play for us in the 20+ years I've been supporting the club (sorry Sami). The guy's a colossus.

Noo Noo

VvD is by far the obvious choice but I always like to think outside the box, so other notable mentions (from me) would go to.

Robertson - Just simply awesome. How many assists now?
Wijnaldum - He seems to have become the midfield glue

Without the injury I expect Gomez would have been in that list as well.