• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

TIME MACHINE: WHO WOULD YOU BRING BACK...

who is your SECOND CHOICE to bring back from this list (select 2)

• Dirk Kuyt

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Sterling

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Mascherano

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Coutinho

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Suarez

Votes: 35 52.2%
  • Torres

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Fowler

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • team of Carraghers

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Sammy Hyppia

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Milan Barros

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andy Carrol

• Peter crouch

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • danny murphy

• Michael Owen

• steve Finnan

• xabi alonso

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • pepe reina

• skrtel

• HONORABLE MENTIONS: lUIS GARCIA, emre can, Sakho, Riise, Hamman, Smicer, Kewell

• Total voters

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
One that came as part exchange for Owen?
Yeah, just can't remember if it was Nunez or someone else.

Whoever it was they was a very good player but just had a brittle body that always shattered like glass as soon as they stepped into the changing room

Obanite

Full time coo
Hyypia - imagine him alongside VVD.

And edged Torres over Suarez - not because Suarez didn’t achieve more/wasn’t a better all rounder, but he wouldn’t be a Klopp player and would inevitably bring a lot of negative attention on the club for some reason or another.

Flobs

FADA
No Gerrard or Barnes! Keegan? So has to be Fowler, no sorry Saurez, no fowler well Saurez or Fowler.
How much time have I to dwell over this?
If we hadn't VVD perhaps Hypia.
Oh I can't make my mind up. :cry:

Red over the water

Suarez, without doubt. Assuming it's the peak Suarez who played here before, mind.

Rationale:
We need a fourth excellent option to go with Mo, Mane and Bobby. Suarez fits the bill perfectly - a massive upgrade on Origi, and a driven player who can play anywhere across the front line. Supremely talented, with a massive will to win. He would score goals for fun in this Liverpool side, defend from the front as needed, link up well with whatever strikers we deploy alongside him... oh, and his character is also such that he would give Mo a bollocking if the better option was to pass.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Comes down to Suarez, best footballer I’ve ever seen play for us.

NJred8

TIA New Signing
Suarez for me as he was unreal here. Plus talk about pissing off other sides, man you love when on your team, but hate to play against. He did some bad bad thing to Norwich.

Xabi would be amazing in this current side though.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
As the idea is who would fit best to the current squad, and current manager, a lot of great players who would walk into every other squad would not necessarily fit to this one, nor are the most pressing issues. Carra and Sami are club legends, but not sure how they would fit into the high line Klopp plays. Mascherano is probably one best DM's ever, but with Fabinho not sure this is our week spot.
I had a bit of a dilemma between Coutinho and Xavi Alonso. Coutinho played for Klopp and was great during that time, but he played mostly on the left side rather than in midfield, and having a true playmaker who could pick a pass to unlock defenses that's Xavi Alonso's specialty, so he gets the nod.
Upfront, was the hardest part. I have never seen a more natural finisher than Fowler, not to mention he is a red through and through, which Klopp admires. On the other hand there is Suarez, I won't detail his attributes. Went in the end for Suarez, because I think he played his best in a front three, making everybody part of it, never selfish, and not afraid to press and defend.

Fyi, if Rush and Kenny were on the list, I would take them both before everybody else.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Torres in his prime would score 40 goals in this team, or Hyypia, we'd never concede a headed goal with him and VVD at the back.

Ahmed Hussain

Sad guy with no life :(
People sleeping on Fowler. On his day a brilliant striker. Alonso for me wasn't appreciated until he went. Barry couldn't lace his boots.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Love Bobby but Suarez would score the same number of goals he did in THAT season and he would help Sadio and Mo score 10 more goals each.

How else could we improve this team? How about an complete midfielder with goals in him? Gerrard in his prime would also take this team to another level.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Love Bobby but Suarez would score the same number of goals he did in THAT season and he would help Sadio and Mo score 10 more goals each.

How else could we improve this team? How about an complete midfielder with goals in him? Gerrard in his prime would also take this team to another level.
My problem with Gerrard is that his best seasons he was starting out wide and drifting in, similar to Mo, but not as far forward, so you then need to ask the question, do you split the current front 3 to bring in Stevie, or do you drop Hendo and play him in the midfield knowing how key Hendo is to keeping the balance of the team with his work rate and selflessness?

Billy Stevo's left boot

Born in L5, live in L4, support one L of a team
No Gerrard or Barnes! Keegan? So has to be Fowler, no sorry Saurez, no fowler well Saurez or Fowler.
How much time have I to dwell over this?
If we hadn't VVD perhaps Hypia.
Oh I can't make my mind up. :cry:
Only players who played after the turn of the millennium mate and Gerrard is seen as a given.
For me it would have to be Suarez but I say that with a heavy heart, the man was a complete ***, we’ve had players since the turn of the millennium who genuinely loved this club and bought into everything it means, look at Danny Agger, at a time when this club looked like a busted flush and players were heading for the exit door left, right and centre his response to being heavily linked with a move to Barcelona (and a Barcelona when Messi et al where in their prime) was to say I never want to leave and to get YNWA tattoo‘d across his knuckles. An incredible show of loyalty.
Im a Scouser, you often hear people go on about how important it is to have local lads in the team, I don’t buy into that, Danny Agger is from Denmark but there are people born in Mill Road hospital and who grew up on Breck Road, people who supported Liverpool all their lives who wouldn’t have reacted like that given the state this club was in at the time and given Barca were playing football from the Gods.
Suarez on he other hand threw a complete strop slagging off the owners/manager on Uruguayan radio and acting like a big kid in Melbourne (refusing to celebrate with team mates etc) when the club had the temerity to block his move not to Barcelona, Real Madrid or AC Milan, no, he kicked off when JH blocked his move to Arsenal, one of our direct rivals.
The man was a complete mercenary, his nickname pistolero was very apt because he was nothing but a hired gun, Shankly talked about loyalty, well to Suarez loyalty was something that came at a price, you bought his loyalty.
Mercenary or not though he was so good it would be impossible not to pick him. Right up there with the best players ever to pull on a red shirt for me and I go back a long way.

Flobs

FADA
Only players who played after the turn of the millennium mate and Gerrard is seen as a given.
For me it would have to be Suarez but I say that with a heavy heart, the man was a complete ***, we’ve had players since the turn of the millennium who genuinely loved this club and bought into everything it means, look at Danny Agger, at a time when this club looked like a busted flush and players were heading for the exit door left, right and centre his response to being heavily linked with a move to Barcelona (and a Barcelona when Messi et al where in their prime) was to say I never want to leave and to get YNWA tattoo‘d across his knuckles. An incredible show of loyalty.
Im a Scouser, you often hear people go on about how important it is to have local lads in the team, I don’t buy into that, Danny Agger is from Denmark but there are people born in Mill Road hospital and who grew up on Breck Road, people who supported Liverpool all their lives who wouldn’t have reacted like that given the state this club was in at the time and given Barca were playing football from the Gods.
Suarez on he other hand threw a complete strop slagging off the owners/manager on Uruguayan radio and acting like a big kid in Melbourne (refusing to celebrate with team mates etc) when the club had the temerity to block his move not to Barcelona, Real Madrid or AC Milan, no, he kicked off when JH blocked his move to Arsenal, one of our direct rivals.
The man was a complete mercenary, his nickname pistolero was very apt because he was nothing but a hired gun, Shankly talked about loyalty, well to Suarez loyalty was something that came at a price, you bought his loyalty.
Mercenary or not though he was so good it would be impossible not to pick him. Right up there with the best players ever to pull on a red shirt for me and I go back a long way.
If we take passion for the club Kuyt, Crouch (how deserves a sniff anyway just for the way he carried the forward line by himself for a short while), Sakho (I bet he regrets his 'attitude').
For what we could do with right now perhaps Alonzo?
However Suarez and Fowler really did the business but who would they replace?
I still feel the players we missed most where Reina, Hyppia and Agger however we have that sorted now thanks to Edwards and Klopp (and perhaps the owners for putting up the money).

It's funny how people talk about 'loyalty' yet have discarded Hendo for so long. Ok not the most attractive footballer to watch but he gets the job done and is here because this is where his loyalties lie.

Billy Stevo's left boot

Born in L5, live in L4, support one L of a team
If we take passion for the club Kuyt, Crouch (how deserves a sniff anyway just for the way he carried the forward line by himself for a short while), Sakho (I bet he regrets his 'attitude').
For what we could do with right now perhaps Alonzo?
However Suarez and Fowler really did the business but who would they replace?
I still feel the players we missed most where Reina, Hyppia and Agger however we have that sorted now thanks to Edwards and Klopp (and perhaps the owners for putting up the money).

It's funny how people talk about 'loyalty' yet have discarded Hendo for so long. Ok not the most attractive footballer to watch but he gets the job done and is here because this is where his loyalties lie.
Hendo won’t be remembered as one of the truly great individual players but he’s going to develop into a club icon that’s an absolute given, for a start just look at the trophies he’s lifted, you cannot lift the League title and European Cup as club captain and not be smiled upon by history. The fact that he was man that lifted our first title in 30 years will just add to his aura.
Because of the way he carries himself as a man and speaks so well he’s also the type of fella clubs want to be associated with, if he doesn’t want to go into management or television after he hangs his boots up I could easily see him working for the club in an ambassadorial role, he spoke like a 32 year old veteran even when he was 21, he’s the type of lad the club could send to a reception in Downing Street/Buckingham Palace or the opening of a new inner city sports centre and know that the clubs image/reputation would be safe in his hands.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Need a CB? Hyypiä and Carragher obvious choices.

But if we were looking for the perfect partner for VvD under Klopp IMO it would be Daniel Agger.