Timo Werner (CF) RB Leipzig

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...fer-news-rb-leipzig-timo-werner-a8254591.html

Liverpool considering summer move for RB Leipzig forward Timo Werner
Several Premier League clubs have shown an interest in the 22-year-old German but Jurgen Klopp is understood to be at the front of the queue for his signature
Liverpool are monitoring RB Leipzig’s Timo Werner, ahead of a potential move in the summer, for what could be a double swoop from the German side with the signing of Naby Keita.
The 22-year-old forward has developed hugely at the Bundesliga club, and attracted the attention of a few Premier League clubs including Manchester United, but it is Jurgen Klopp who has shown by far the strongest interest. He wants to add depth to his attacking options this summer.
Negotiating with Leipzig may be difficult, though, especially given how drawn-out the deal for Keita was. Liverpool ended up agreeing to bring the midfielder in for next season, having wanted him for the start of 2017-18. There is also the concern that Werner has spoken in the past about how United would be his dream move, but Liverpool have so far shown much more willingness to go for the forward.

Delaney is a bit shit, but the Independent is a decent paper.. Would be a quality signing.

Dutch

I Leipzig our new feeder club? :tongue:

Herb

I guess the issue we may have in attracting a player like this is that everybody knows how important Firmino is to us as the 9, nobody realistically available to us displaces him right now. Werner could be used wide but his best position imo is central.

What I think is more likely is us going for young wide forwards similar to Mané and Salah, the likes of Pulisic, Brandt or Bailey. They all end up rotating and the two we currently have are used as the central option when Firmino isn’t playing.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I have barely watched Werner play but I get the impression he has many similar attributes to Tottenham's Son. Accurate or not?

Limiescouse

I have barely watched Werner play but I get the impression he has many similar attributes to Tottenham's Son. Accurate or not?
I think that was the thought last year, but I think the last 12 months or so has seen him develop into more of an orthodox, and dangerous, striker. Quite fast, and a direct runner. However, with the way our wide guys play, he would be just as suited to one of those roles as he would replacing Firmino.

GermanRed

He confirmed that he’ll definetly be at Leipzig for the next year. He is under contract until 2020 and I have the feeling that he won’t extend so that he can join Bayern for a 'small' fee to replace Lewandowski who wants to join Real.

big noyd

rare combination of pace & physicality, can get in behind and in time impersonate a target man. i don't buy it for a second but he'd be a wonderful addition

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Isn't it a bit odd, or poor journalism by the Independent, that this article appears the day after Werner said he's not interested in moving this summer and intends to see his contract out.

As with Jorginho, it is said that we are first in the queue. That's nice to hear but what is the foundation for that?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Isn't it a bit odd, or poor journalism by the Independent, that this article appears the day after Werner said he's not interested in moving this summer and intends to see his contract out.

As with Jorginho, it is said that we are first in the queue. That's nice to hear but what is the foundation for that?
I'd be surprised if Werner actually stays until 2020. Seems a long time to commit to Leipzig when the big clubs are interested...

Livvy

Alles wird gut
I'd be surprised if Werner actually stays until 2020. Seems a long time to commit to Leipzig when the big clubs are interested...
We'll see what happens if Leipzig isn't able to qualify for Europe. What I don't like about him are his recently "love comments" about manutd. Apart from that, he's got a lot of stick and hate for diving. I 'm not sure whether that calmed down a bit after even Löw had to come out to tell the fans that they should stop booing him. So he might be open for a change...

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
We'll see what happens if Leipzig isn't able to qualify for Europe. What I don't like about him are his recently "love comments" about manutd. Apart from that, he's got a lot of stick and hate for diving. I 'm not sure whether that calmed down a bit after even Löw had to come out to tell the fans that they should stop booing him. So he might be open for a change...

Some of our best players once loved/supported other teams, the Utd thing is probably a throw away comment taken out of context.

redfanman

TIA Regular

Off to Spurs then....

Phil123

He said that he will "for sure" be playing on Leipzig next season, sounded like an invite to bid , but let's see, are we prepared to give up on Origi ?

Samwise the Brave

He said that he will "for sure" be playing on Leipzig next season, sounded like an invite to bid , but let's see, are we prepared to give up on Origi ?
Yes. Yes we are.

It’s a shame because I liked him and thought he had potential but he has been extremely poor for Wolfsburg, which should have been the ideal situation for him.

Phil123

Yes. Yes we are.

It’s a shame because I liked him and thought he had potential but he has been extremely poor for Wolfsburg, which should have been the ideal situation for him.
I really liked him, but yeah, by the look of things he is as good as gone, my only "if" is the price of Werner, Leipzig will want a massive amount

Limiescouse

I really liked him, but yeah, by the look of things he is as good as gone, my only "if" is the price of Werner, Leipzig will want a massive amount
I think he is one of the few players whose price might be significantly affected by the world cup. It is still up in the air how they will set up, but it would not be unexpected that if Germany have a good tournament, they do so with him up top, and him scoring a hatfull. That would take him from good young player to breakout star status and could really drive the price up.

SC LFC Fan

I think he is one of the few players whose price might be significantly affected by the world cup. It is still up in the air how they will set up, but it would not be unexpected that if Germany have a good tournament, they do so with him up top, and him scoring a hatfull. That would take him from good young player to breakout star status and could really drive the price up.
Completely agree.

I also rate him highly, and think his pace and skill would translate to any of the front 3 places. With him, we could rotate the front three reliably. We could even have him and Firmino up front in a two on occasion.

Jayus20

Depends what you define as significantly because I bet it's probably already near 9 figures if not in 9 figures knowing Leipzig. Literally 2 days ago he also said he will be "definitely" at Leipzig next season so this just seems like wasted breath at this point. This transfer to me just feels like a dream rather than anything realistic. Also he's a United fan so it really wouldn't surprise me if he decided he'd rather go there instead of coming to us if he ever came to the Premier League (which he has said before he wants to at some point).

Cologne-Liverpool

Expensive he would be in any case, if you ask me, good WC could only make it worse. Theoretically we do have a bit of money though...Not convinced by the definite nature of his latest statements, sounded to me like he's leaving himself all options open tbh by only stating the obvious, especially his lates remarks to BILD sounded a bit like a "wink, wink, Rangnick won't let me go next season...".
Don't know if there's that much behind the ManU thing from his part...I guess Red Bull would probably be the biggest problem in most scenarios (certainly for next season, where they still hold all the cards).
A very ambitious target in any case, but we seem to have a thing for those lately...
I'll be honest, he comes across as a bit of a c**t to me, but I can see what the appeal of having him as a player in our team would be.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Expensive he would be in any case, if you ask me, good WC could only make it worse. Theoretically we do have a bit of money though...Not convinced by the definite nature of his latest statements, sounded to me like he's leaving himself all options open tbh by only stating the obvious, especially his lates remarks to BILD sounded a bit like a "wink, wink, Rangnick won't let me go next season...".
Don't know if there's that much behind the ManU thing from his part...I guess Red Bull would probably be the biggest problem in most scenarios (certainly for next season, where they still hold all the cards).
A very ambitious target in any case, but we seem to have a thing for those lately...
I'll be honest, he comes across as a bit of a c**t to me, but I can see what the appeal of having him as a player in our team would be.
Yes, my first thoughts were that he is working with club on this. Weren't there one or two players last season at Leipzig that tried to get a bit boldly over wanting a move and got slapped down for it?

Cologne-Liverpool

Yes, my first thoughts were that he is working with club on this. Weren't there one or two players last season at Leipzig that tried to get a bit boldly over wanting a move and got slapped down for it?
Forsberg in particular, yeah. And that other lad from that "village" got some of it too, can't quite recall his name...Was it Keith or something like that? Wonder what will happen with him...
;-)

Phil123

Yeah , and with the current situation of Germany up front he will only have to compete with Muller and Sandro for a spot, and with a good tournament his price will rise up

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
If he we were to buy him then he'd probably cost in the region of the Keita price, or even more, so we wouldn't be buying to strengthen our options on the bench. The most obvious way to accommodate him would be to move Firmino to the no.10 role but if we're also buying Jorginho then that's a whole new midfield with no place for Hendo.

As for rotating him, yes we could but who spends 70 or 80 million just to use someone like we're currently using AOC? Plus based on what the forum's German contributors have said about him (a diver and a bit of a c**t) and his Man U comment, I'm not sure that I'd want him.

K

Klopptinho

If he we were to buy him then he'd probably cost in the region of the Keita price, or even more, so we wouldn't be buying to strengthen our options on the bench. The most obvious way to accommodate him would be to move Firmino to the no.10 role but if we're also buying Jorginho then that's a whole new midfield with no place for Hendo.

As for rotating him, yes we could but who spends 70 or 80 million just to use someone like we're currently using AOC? Plus based on what the forum's German contributors have said about him (a diver and a bit of a c**t) and his Man U comment, I'm not sure that I'd want him.
if we were to spend 70-80 m then he's gotta be better than we have . i'd test chelsea with a bid for willian rather than this guy .

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Probably get him in 2019-2020

Thing with the Man Utd comments, you will hear a lot of that for the foreseeable future as they were so dominant for years.

GermanRed

TBH at the moment i can't see him leave this year BUT after this coming weekend RB Leipzig could be 7 points off the CL spots in the Bundesliga with 7 more games to play. Missing out on CL would probably make some of their players want to leave and that would also mean we have to pay less for Keitalol