• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Timo Werner (CF) RB Leipzig

What will Werner be leaning on?

• The Wall of Champions, pointing at the newly installed 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nabil Fekir's knee

• A bog standard table, with a bog standard pen, and a sheet of random paper

• The Champions League trophy for some weird reason

• Sadio's jockstrap

• The railing at Melwood

• Ralf Rangnick's animosity

• A giant can of Red Bull, cos he's not coming

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
If we're going to risk tapping players up it should be somebody better than Timo Werner.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
According to SportBild Werner agreed to join Bayern in the summer. No deal with Leipzig until now.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Could be why the links to Brandt are re-surfacing.
The links to Brandt came back because his release clause was revealed. Had nothing to do with LFC in the first place.

Red over the water

If Brandt is becoming more of a creative and goal scoring midfielder, we need that and his addition would be welcome. But we still need a winger/striker, preferably versatile with pace, to shake up the front three and give another option there.

I haven’t see enough of Brandt to know if this is what his role would be, but at the price we’re hearing we should be in there.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
If Brandt is becoming more of a creative and goal scoring midfielder, we need that and his addition would be welcome. But we still need a winger/striker, preferably versatile with pace, to shake up the front three and give another option there.

I haven’t see enough of Brandt to know if this is what his role would be, but at the price we’re hearing we should be in there.
Like Icardi? (boo, hiss..)

big noyd

well if sule, goretzka and pavard are anything to go by, this is over. the entire domestic league is their feeder system. i'd say it must be nice, but in truth it seems pretty boring (even though they're in 2nd for the moment)

this was the only centre forward who's been persistently & reliably linked, and though brewster can be deployed similarly to werner, we could certainly use another option. hopefully there's another stealth swoop like there was for fabinho

GaryBarlow99

That's a shame if he is going to Bayern. Think he would have been a really good versatile forward option for us. Wouldn't say no to Brandt but we will still need a striker to replace Sturridge, Ings and Origi.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I fully expected this but it's not that I'm too bothered about it. The only thing that actually bothers me here is that I'm unable to think of another forward who would offer similar qualities.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I fully expected this but it's not that I'm too bothered about it. The only thing that actually bothers me here is that I'm unable to think of another forward who would offer similar qualities.
Agreed Nikola. After Hoeness' comments in that article I posted I had a hunch Werner was locked up for them. All that said, I am sort of torn on Werner. Sure it would've been cool to add such a player with his upside, but I can't say I am overly disappointed. Of course world class potential but I do question his mental toughness and his ability to fight through difficult situations. On top of that he's never struck me as a particularly bright lad. Maybe it was always a dream for him to play for the biggest club in Germany so I wish him all the success in the world.

Looking forward, there will be other options for us. Something will come out of the blue that is unexpected.

EDIT: If I were a Bayern fan, I would be more excited about the incoming of Jann-Fiete Arp this Summer than Timo Werner. Arp can be an absolute monster for them down the road.

Nikola

Admin
Agreed Nikola. After Hoeness' comments in that article I posted I had a hunch Werner was locked up for them. All that said, I am sort of torn on Werner. Sure it would've been cool to add such a player with his upside, but I can't say I am overly disappointed. Of course world class potential but I do question his mental toughness and his ability to fight through difficult situations. On top of that he's never struck me as a particularly bright lad. Maybe it was always a dream for him to play for the biggest club in Germany so I wish him all the success in the world.

Looking forward, there will be other options for us. Something will come out of the blue that is unexpected.

EDIT: If I were a Bayern fan, I would be more excited about the incoming of Jann-Fiete Arp this Summer than Timo Werner. Arp can be an absolute monster for them down the road.
Hah, you've got to be kidding me... I know of that lad because Tottenham were strongly linked with him some two years ago, he's said to be one of the hottest prospects in Germany - I didn't know he was off to Bayern. They just keep piling them up. I remember playing Football Manager five or six years ago with Milan and literally whenever I wanted to sign up an Italian prospect that my scouts found for me, he was either on loan from Juventus or already signed in a co-ownership deal with Juventus. I guess the only difference with Bayern is that they don't loan out those prospects.

You and I share the same opinion of Werner - in a few years, we could both reminisce of these words with our faces turning into lollipops with "SUCKER" written on it like in the old cartoons but there's something about Werner that doesn't convince me just yet. Then again, the cynic/not-optimist that I am will find a flaw in every player that Liverpool are linked with but with Werner, something doesn't add up. It's not that I'm unimpressed with him, he's a fine talent but I think that he just wouldn't fit this Liverpool side, perhaps because I perceive him as mentally fragile and unprepared for pressure at Liverpool (and I thought quite the opposite of Keita, for what it's worth).

Nikola

Admin
I always have him on my mind when discussing first team squad but I definitely think Liverpool need to strengthen, especially after his injuries. Not sure why but I think he's Liverpool's next wide forward, winger, whatever we call it, at least in the short term. I think Klopp will sign a forward nevertheless - however, after tonight's display by Mane, I'm doing my best to contain my thoughts of Mane actually being Klopp's next centre forward!

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I think Werner is overrated so I'm not worried about this. He was terrible at the World Cup last year. We can do better.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Not to be a prick mate but who out there is a regular goalscorer in a top league, young, available and can play in all 3 forward positions?
How about... Sadio Mané?

Yeah, I know I might be overthinking here and it was just one game, but I'm really impressed with the way Mané played the False 9 position. You must be very smart to do what Firmino usually does and Mané did that pretty well.

So, how about buying a winger who can play both wings as backup and then make Mané Firmino's backup?

On topic: I like Werner, but I think he is not as good as people think. He could totally fit our play style, but he is a very different player if we are thinking about Firmino. It would change the way we play, he is more like Salah and less like Firmino.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
How about... Sadio Mané?

Yeah, I know I might be overthinking here and it was just one game, but I'm really impressed with the way Mané played the False 9 position. You must be very smart to do what Firmino usually does and Mané did that pretty well.

So, how about buying a winger who can play both wings as backup and then make Mané Firmino's backup?

On topic: I like Werner, but I think he is not as good as people think. He could totally fit our play style, but he is a very different player if we are thinking about Firmino. It would change the way we play, he is more like Salah and less like Firmino.
I think that is probably one of the options genuinely being considered - not sure why Sadio hadn't been tried there before perhaps a lack of wing cover....

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I think that is probably one of the options genuinely being considered - not sure why Sadio hadn't been tried there before perhaps a lack of wing cover....
I remember at the beginning of the season suggesting, on another platform, Mane through the middle as an option and getting shot down.

I think it worked and would continue to work pretty well. I'd actually like to see more interchanging of positions among the front three not only game by game but during games as well.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
That's exactly what bothered me a bit around the Shaqiri signing, that he didn't cover that left side role for ages. I don't think he's a #10 either (can do a job, but I don't really see him there long term), simply a RW backup. We're without a proper replacement for Mane on that side. We'll see if maybe Ox can cover it when Sadio isn't available or needs a rest. But it's clear that we could do with another speedy (or dangerous enough) player who can play well on the left side. We'll see what we decide to do in that forward line and if someone like Wilson impresses enough over the summer to remain with us next season.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
That's exactly what bothered me a bit around the Shaqiri signing, that he didn't cover that left side role for ages. I don't think he's a #10 either (can do a job, but I don't really see him there long term), simply a RW backup. We're without a proper replacement for Mane on that side. We'll see if maybe Ox can cover it when Sadio isn't available or needs a rest. But it's clear that we could do with another speedy (or dangerous enough) player who can play well on the left side. We'll see what we decide to do in that forward line and if someone like Wilson impresses enough over the summer to remain with us next season.
I thought Pulisic was the player we were looking at for that role (partly)? I think he would have been a good option so it's a pity he's off to Chelsea.

Certainly wouldn't be against going for Lozano. (Yeah, yeah, Dutch league blah blah)

Red over the water

Mane playing at CF has given me pause as to the incoming needs for the front three.

I had in mind we would sign a flexible player, e.g. Werner, who could play wide and centrally, as needed. But with Mane showing us he is up to the job in the CF position, and Mo too, and Bobby too (though his best work is a bit deeper) perhaps the need is a winger.

Lozano would get all of Mexico behind us, as he is their darling. Bergwijn is a good shout too. It will be interesting to see how we go about it. Obviously we need at least one more signing in that area of the pitch, possibly two, but Mane being able to play through the middle gives us more flexibility, both in the players we have here, and the ones we need to sign.

Limiescouse

We should be reticent to assume too much from one game, especially one in which we took the lead and took the pressure off so early. However, Mane has payed CF numerous times before, and every time I have seen him there he looks just as dangerous and as horrible a pain in the arse to play against as he does on either side. I think even without this idea of playing Mane centrally, a wider forward/winger/stringer * was more important than a pure striker, but I think this performance reinforces that idea (even despite the encouraging performance from Origi in stand in for Mane on the left).

Last edited: