Timo Werner (CF) RB Leipzig

Red over the water

I wanted us to sign Werner, but since then Origi has shown something good and I’ve had second thoughts about Werner, as he is a straight line sort of player, whereas our front three moves much better. Bayern Munich can have him. He’s not as good as Lewandowski and as the Pole starts to fade, Werner won’t make up the difference for them. As for the league, all the other teams need to have a word with themselves. They are feeder clubs for Bayern Munich. Show some respect for yourselves!

I think the way forward is for us to sign a fast, goalscoring winger, given the versatility of both Mo and Mane to play through the middle as needed.

Ron Swanson

I would like to be greedy and I would like to have Werner and Origi, with Brewster coming through that is a good selction headache to have with bobby as well.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
With Brewster and Origi here this one never made any sense to me.

Not only that, Werner is a counter-attacking player. Does he have the ability to take the ball with his back to goal? Does he have the intelligence to open up a packed back line? Mane and Salah are amazing counter attacking players but they're also deadly effective against teams who sit deep, I haven't seen Werner display any of that ability. He'd face far more of that here than he does at Leipzig.

He would have been a decent option but I don't understand the fascination with him, there are plenty of better players out there. Brandt and Pepe would be my choices from all of the players (unreliably) linked.

Last edited:

Cologne-Liverpool

With Brewster and Origi here this one never made any sense to me.

Not only that, Werner is a counter-attacking player. Does he have the ability to take the ball with his back to goal? Does he have the intelligence to open up a packed back line? Mane and Salah are amazing counter attacking players but they're also tremendous against teams who sit deep, I haven't seen Werner display any of that ability.

He would have been a decent option but I don't understand the fascination with him, there are plenty of better players out there. Brandt and Pepe would be my choices from all of the players (unreliably) linked.
Exactly. He's good at what he does but somewhat limited and a bit fragile imo.
I also think he's a bit of a c**t, but that's more of a personal opinion.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Would have liked him but with Origi seemingly finding the player in him many thought was there ,it is less pressing.It is clear Brewster is in line for bigger things.
Having another player there will do no harm,though.

Werder4life

From what I've seen from him , Werner is a non starter of a potential Liverpool transfer. May sound harsh but to me he (so far) has been kind of a one trick pony. On top of that imho he does not only miss the attributes needed for a forward role at Liverpool , but in the Prem in general.

I only can identify one position where we desperatly need cover and that would be on LB , maybe RB as well.
In the medium term there should be investment in midfield (all types) since that is the area where we suffer most in terms of injury.
Millie won't be around forever. Hendo will always be at risk to injury and Naby seems to have that trait as well if this season is anything to go by. Shaq is pretty much nailed on for a more attacking role.

Considering players like Julian Brandt (who I rate) , it begs the question if there aren't similar promising talents from LFC's academy on the verge to first team duty already? I think there are.

If we want somebody for midfield , it should be someone more proven/experienced.

In attack I think Origi should stay (if he's down with that) , as he might come good as the "classic" Nr9 striker model for the occasion , since he has all the needed traits and is on the up.

What we obviously need there is the replacement for Bobby to relieve the load on him or in case of injury , and that will be hard to find.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Wasn't Brewster given some kind of assurance that we wouldn't be signing any more forwards before he signed his contract ?

Werder4life

Brewster ?
I haven't seen enough of Brewster to pass judgement on him , but when I think of Bobby's best attributes apart from his ability on the ball , it's his cleverness closely followed by his (unexpected) physicality , that enables him to be so effective in the press and finally - and maybe most important - a confidence and healthy self esteem , that let's him happily pass the ball to a mate instead of trying to score himself if needed.

Those attributes would be a bit of an unfair demand from a youngster imho. But Ryan might very well become that in coming years.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
I haven't seen enough of Brewster to pass judgement on him , but when I think of Bobby's best attributes apart from his ability on the ball , it's his cleverness closely followed by his (unexpected) physicality , that enables him to be so effective in the press and finally - and maybe most important - a confidence and healthy self esteem , that let's him happily pass the ball to a mate instead of trying to score himself if needed.

Those attributes would be a bit of an unfair demand from a youngster imho. But Ryan might very well become that in coming years.
Not sure if liverpool can ever find the perfect bobby replacement. Yes there are names like thorgan around.

I'd rather look at a backup striker bringing something else to the table and there are plenty of Bobby's roles that can be learned by a youngster adapting to a club.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Wasn't Brewster given some kind of assurance that we wouldn't be signing any more forwards before he signed his contract ?
I dont think the assurance would have been to rule out any forward signings completely - after all we brought in Shaqiri. Plus, that was a year ago, since then we have moved two out (ings and solanki), Studge is going and may be joined by others in the reserves such as Camacho. Origi was probably also expected to leave last summer and again this summer until his recent purple patch.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Also , Bobby is essentially playing a midfielder role upfront. Wouldn't it be better to look at adding another midfield option in a CAM like fekir (obviously not fekir) but someone who plays in a attacking midfielder role and has the ability to score 10 goals in open play a season.

Lot of Bobby's traits have to do with his off the ball play combined with his intelligence and his willingness to do the heavy slog helping out the defense and the midfield too

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Time to shut this bitch down.... he ain't coming and confirmed he's going to where else but Bayern.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Isn't this lad going to Bayern? Hasn't this been confirmed already?

GermanRed

Nothing confirmed yet - especially because Leipzig and Bayern will play the final of the german cup final next week.

RedSpikey8

I would love us to get Werner. He is a different type of striker than those we have, but still wants to keep Origi, Brewster and Bobby of course. He can be a replacement for Studge.