• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Timo Werner (CF) RB Leipzig

What will Werner be leaning on?

• The Wall of Champions, pointing at the newly installed 6

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Nabil Fekir's knee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A bog standard table, with a bog standard pen, and a sheet of random paper

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The Champions League trophy for some weird reason

• Sadio's jockstrap

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • The railing at Melwood

• Ralf Rangnick's animosity

• A giant can of Red Bull, cos he's not coming

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
RB manager Ralf Rangnick: 'I'm not so sure that Timo Werner will end up at Bayern'
Suspect that is more Rangnick trying to keep him than thinking Timo will go somewhere else. But until contracts are signed things can always change. He would be a good fit for us to add depth up front, but I could see that he might not want to come here since he would almost certainly not be first choice for us.

Jaytinho

RB manager Ralf Rangnick: 'I'm not so sure that Timo Werner will end up at Bayern'
Rangnick hoping he dont end up at Liverpool tho lol but, this is a good sign. Means he is weighing up his options. I wonder if Klopp has called yet

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
It would be pretty fucking sweet to steal away a prodigious German talent from Bayern's grasp.

Don't think it'll happen, but it's a nice thought.
I'd prefer to be stealing prodigious young English talent away from City.. Let the Germans stew over there in a sub-par league.

vjcpatriot

Werner has tons of pace and an eye for goal. He would make a threatening deputy for Firmino. It already looks like Bayern has been turned down for his services. As for Brandt, Dortmund has already bought him along with Thorgan Hazard. Those are two nice upgrades for Dortmund but it begs the question, does this open the window for us to poach a Jordan Sancho from them?

rupzzz

TIA Regular
They've just sold Pulisic, and Rues is slowing down. Sancho is going nowhere.

Last edited:

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
They've just sold Pulisic, and Rues is slowing down. Sancho is going nowhere.
I too think that he won't be sold after just 1 year. But the main point is that Klopp seems to behave as some sort of gentleman (yuk) when it involves Dortmund. He is neither going after Dortmund players nor going after players that are eyed by Dortmund.

zman89

How is he on the wings? Would he be good cover for Mane/Salah? Or to bring on the wings late in games? Haven't really watched him play tbh except for the last world cup where he was poor.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
How is he on the wings? Would he be good cover for Mane/Salah? Or to bring on the wings late in games? Haven't really watched him play tbh except for the last world cup where he was poor.
He is fast. I’d say he is faster and more direct (towards goal) than Mané and Salah but needs to improve his 1v1.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
He is fast. I’d say he is faster and more direct (towards goal) than Mané and Salah but needs to improve his 1v1.
Wow faster than both of them? Interesting.

If Werner's worry is that he would not be first choice, then he probably is not the guy we need. Werner needs to come here and understand that his job is to be better than the front 3 and if dislodging any of arguably the most potent trio in football now is not motivation enough, nothing will.

If Werner comes and taking Keita as an example, he might take a while to get used but if he has the right attitude, he will have plenty of games to prove himself. The only negative we had in the past season is that we simply have no one good enough to fit in the shape we play when any of the front 3 needs to rest or injured.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Salah and Mane are two of the fastest players around. Possibly top 20 on the planet. I know I'm no expert on Bundesliga and not seen him much but nothing I've seen or read has given me the impression he is on that kind of level for speed let alone better.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
When we signed Mane and Salah, I don't recall many fans proclaiming they were amazing. It was all potential...same as with Werner now.

If the club see his potential as something Klopp can maximise, and we do sign him, I wont be singing from the rooftops, but will be excited at the potential.

Doubt hes signing anyway.

Last edited:

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
@gasband and @Anfield rd Dreamer but here is the thing - Mané and Salah without their speed would still be world class players. They are great in the penalty area, good with the ball at their feet, tricky, 1v1, finishing, link up play.

For Werner his speed is the most important part of his game.
That was my next post in this thread.

So is Moreno mate. That doesn't fill me with any confidence :tongue:

zman89

Werner's technical ability far surpasses Moreno's. He could become a monster under Klopp
I know mate I was joking. He wouldn't be starting for the german national team if it wasn't so. still think he's nailed on for bayern tbh.

SadiosMio

@gasband and @Anfield rd Dreamer but here is the thing - Mané and Salah without their speed would still be world class players. They are great in the penalty area, good with the ball at their feet, tricky, 1v1, finishing, link up play.

For Werner his speed is the most important part of his game.
Given that, why does Werner not have any dribbles? Is he playing as a poacher for Leipzig? I watched the replay of their game against Bayern and to be honest I don't remember noticing him too much.

But he's one of the highest goals and xG young players (23 and younger) in Europe, along with (non-Mbappe division) Piatek, Jovic, M Dembele, Martial and above...well everyone else, including Havertz and Sancho. His goals/90 production rivals Mane and Salah (albeit in a weaker league, of course). But Jovic has as many completed dribbles and a better success rate.

I had kind of written off Jovic as too much of a poacher to fit, not enough buildup involvement. But Werner doesn't seem too much better. But he's very fast, obviously, which leaves me confused.

Jaytinho

I know mate I was joking. He wouldn't be starting for the german national team if it wasn't so. still think he's nailed on for bayern tbh.
I wouldnt say nailed on since the Sane bid was confirmed. Werner primarily plays as a CF for Leipzig but Bayern may see him in a versatile role between LW and CF, and they still have Muller. Theres no way he would want to sign for Bayern to play 2nd fiddle to Lewandowski. So, I think Bayern going for Sane may have changed their approach for Werner. Im just hopefully guessing tho lol

zman89

From the descriptions people on here have given and from what I've seen of him in a striker position, he sounds similar to the way Origi has been playing this season. A handful for players, direct, strong but not necessarily a winger. Personally seeing how Mane and Salah have performed in the striker position when needed, I would be more inclined towards a more natural winger. Someone blessed with insane pace and agility to make defenders go crazy in the last half an hour. We have three players who can play adequately as a ST, if you include Origi after his latest performances, 4. On the other hand we only have 2 adequate wingers and the performance suffers greatly when one of them is out.

Drubas

Given that, why does Werner not have any dribbles? Is he playing as a poacher for Leipzig? I watched the replay of their game against Bayern and to be honest I don't remember noticing him too much.

But he's one of the highest goals and xG young players (23 and younger) in Europe, along with (non-Mbappe division) Piatek, Jovic, M Dembele, Martial and above...well everyone else, including Havertz and Sancho. His goals/90 production rivals Mane and Salah (albeit in a weaker league, of course). But Jovic has as many completed dribbles and a better success rate.

I had kind of written off Jovic as too much of a poacher to fit, not enough buildup involvement. But Werner doesn't seem too much better. But he's very fast, obviously, which leaves me confused.
Not a poacher at all, but a classic forward type that run in behind the opponent's back line. He forces defenders to drop and he has no problem going out wide, in behind the left/right back. He is good without the ball and good around the penalty area. I'm not so sure he has the ability to act as target and build play, on either side. He would be best in a central position.

Limiescouse

Not a poacher at all, but a classic forward type that run in behind the opponent's back line. He forces defenders to drop and he has no problem going out wide, in behind the left/right back. He is good without the ball and good around the penalty area. I'm not so sure he has the ability to act as target and build play, on either side. He would be best in a central position.
The German Vardy

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Salah and Mane are two of the fastest players around. Possibly top 20 on the planet. I know I'm no expert on Bundesliga and not seen him much but nothing I've seen or read has given me the impression he is on that kind of level for speed let alone better.
I've watched quite a bit of Leipzig and Leverkusen this year.

Werner is quick but not freakishly so........hard to tell by just watching but I would be surprised if he was quicker than both Mane and Salah.

While he has played up top for Leipzig, I don't think he is a natural striker - he drifts into the channels quite a bit, but does have good work rate.

He could definitely cover across the front three for sure. The devil in me though would say why spend 40 m plus on him to cover when we have a young Welsh fella who has just scored 18 goals on loan last season and is probably ready to make the step up......

SadiosMio

So he doesn't get dribbles because there's no one to dribble past other than the GK ... ok that makes sense.

I'm thinking if he can't play on LW though he's not going to fit, and his build up involvement doesn't suggest he would be good in Firmino's role. I was thinking it would be good to have a guy that could allow Salah to play CF and Mane on the RW at times in a 4-2-3-1 and that's how you could sell a good LW on coming despite the quality already in tow.

Could be as simple as buying Chukwueze to play RW when Salah is center, especially if Wilson is going to go, but then LW cover is still left to Origi.

SadiosMio

Bayern are trying to get him on a free next year.
Think Werner was already brain-washed by them.
I'm wondering if Sane -> Bayern would = Werner -> uh...not Bayern. Or is Werner seen as a striker, in which case good luck getting past Mr. Lewandowski.