• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Timo Werner (CF) RB Leipzig

What will Werner be leaning on?

• The Wall of Champions, pointing at the newly installed 6

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Nabil Fekir's knee

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • A bog standard table, with a bog standard pen, and a sheet of random paper

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • The Champions League trophy for some weird reason

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Sadio's jockstrap

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • The railing at Melwood

• Ralf Rangnick's animosity

• A giant can of Red Bull, cos he's not coming

Votes: 40 45.5%
  • "Brazilian shit from beaches"

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garibaldi

Yes, it does matter - because the price then isnt really £30m.
OK. I did wrote it already that any potential buyer in the summer has to pay 30 millions euro on the top of his current price, which at the moment is 80 millions euro. So 80 + 30 = 110 millions, right? And is not 30 million pounds, it is 30 million euros. Very low release clause fee.

Garibaldi

He wont have the upperhand. If his price was set at £30m he would get more suitors than if his price was £60m. Now, if he wanted Bayern all along then they may strike a deal at £60m, but it is less certain than it would have been at £30m, and you would think they could have negotiated a deal with him to get him for free this summer like they have done with other players.

He had one concrete offer last summer pricing him at 40m euros which he turned down because he wanted to stay in Germany.
"redfanman"
What do you meant by ..."He wont have the upperhand"? YES. Werner will have an upper hand this summer, when it come time to decide where he will continue his career. Everyone knows that. I don't like to engage myself in meaningless arguments. Sorry. And the club that has made the only official offer so far ( last summer) was Atletico Madrid.

Garibaldi

De Bruyne was, is and always will be a way better player than the level we're talking about with Werner. Mind, if Timo put 30 a season in the back of the net for us over five years, I'd willingly pretend his crap jokes are funny on the after-dinner circuit.
So you think De Bruyne is better than Werner? OMG! With all due respect, I can't disagree more. I can't change your way of thinking obviously.

Garibaldi

No it wont, his release clause, the price at which RB can't refuse a transfer is 30m or 40m whatever, but that is how much he is going to cost whichever club signs him. There will be no bidding war driving up the price as the buying clubs know there is no need, the bidding war could come in the shape of his personal contract , wage , bonuses etc.
That is exactly what I am talking about. His price tag will be set at the time of the signing. The release clause fee is also set. The bidding war will come from the numbers of his personal contract and many teams will try to offer more in order to get his signature.

Garibaldi

29 th Oct. 2019

Daily Express journalist McGarry claims that Liverpool has opened talks over a deal for the striker. Werner himself is keen for a move to Anfield.

For 4 years in RB Leipzig, he has played in 146 matches and scored 84 goals.

Werner shots an average of 0.92 per game in club competitions. Last season his average was 0.46 goals per game. He scored 19 goals in 41 club matches.

In the current season he gave a total of 93 shots of which, 46 were shots on goal. His passing accuracy is 80 %.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Last I read the release clause exists but nobody knows yet if it is low as £25m or high as £50m, but if it does exist then surely that is the price. I don't see how RB could put on any further add-ons to that.

Certainly not €120m. He's no Ward Prowse after all.

unless hes one of the 100......

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
OK. I did wrote it already that any potential buyer in the summer has to pay 30 millions euro on the top of his current price, which at the moment is 80 millions euro. So 80 + 30 = 110 millions, right? And is not 30 million pounds, it is 30 million euros. Very low release clause fee.
He had 6 months left on his contract, he wanted to leave eventually but didn't have to do it straight away and felt his club were owed something from his departure. But why the hell would he have signed a contract extension like the one you think exists? It is both unprecedented and impractical! I mean how do you then determine the value? How could two clubs be made to agree on that other than a traditional transfer negotiation which then makes and clause redundant anyway! Plus how illogical is it? Ok so say Werner is worth £80 million, a buying club would want him for £80 million they'd walk away if £30 million was randomly stuck on top and go buy a different player worth £80 million for around £80 million. But again let's ignore the batshit crazy way this clause is supposed to work, even if it were true, there is no way the player will have signed a contract including it that he has no legal and only a minor moral reason to sign. The whole reason there is a clause is so he can pick his next club. There is no way he can pick his next club if only 4/5 in the world would be able to buy him (if they need a player like him at the time).

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
"redfanman"
What do you meant by ..."He wont have the upperhand"? YES. Werner will have an upper hand this summer, when it come time to decide where he will continue his career. Everyone knows that. I don't like to engage myself in meaningless arguments. Sorry. And the club that has made the only official offer so far ( last summer) was Atletico Madrid.
No he wont. A year ago he was running down his contract. More clubs would have been interested in him on a free this summer than if having to pay for a fee. It would also mean he could get a bigger salary on his new contract.

If his contract now stipulates £30m release fee + add ons for a total of £60m, then that reduces the number of interested clubs. He may think it worthwhile, but i dont see how that gives him the upperhand.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
That is exactly what I am talking about. His price tag will be set at the time of the signing. The release clause fee is also set. The bidding war will come from the numbers of his personal contract and many teams will try to offer more in order to get his signature.
The only bidding war would be on his wages.

I dont recall a club offering more than an amount in the release clause and would imagine it would only happen where it didnt know it existed, or at how much it had been set for. The release clause fee will be his price tag.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
The whole point of a low release clause is to allow the player to move easily if there is genuine interest from a club he would like to play for. It doesnt make any sense for a player like Werner to go from running down his contract to signing a new one where a buying club would need to pay 110m. Clubs dont want to be paying value + 30m. It also negates the point of a clause which is to avoid any negotiations between clubs for the deal to happen.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Have I missed something here? Why are Timo Werner and KDB being compared at all? They play different positions and have different skill sets.

If you want to compare Werner to anyone, it's gotta be the likes of Aubameyang, Mbappe or some other in behind quick striker with decent finishing.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Bild are reporting Chelsea are favourites to sign Werner.
It does feel like the most likely club in the UK to get him. They are looking to move some players out and would like to add another forward to their ranks, so can probably give him a starting role straight away. They can also pay him big money.

The only blocker may be if the bigger German sides come in for him and he prefers to remain in Germany over having the bigger salary.

Red over the water

Very good player. He has kicked on the last year, and from being a maybe, he now looks a sure thing in terms of quality. If we sign him, it will give us four very good options, plus Origi and Minamino, maybe Shaqiri too if he sticks around, which I’m not expecting.

With AFCON coming at a very unfortunate time for the Prem season it’s a fair bet to say we will strengthen our options up top. Whether that’s Werner, Sancho, or someone else, remains to be seen.

My take on the price is that he was winding his deal down. He signed a new deal with a low release clause, which Leipzig went for, rather than losing him on a free. The low release clause will presumably also mean the player will attract high signing bonuses and so on, almost like a Bosman, as his true value is €100M and not €30M.

If Garibaldi is right, and the €30M thing isn’t really in play, and all that does is get you into a conversation, but the price will actually be much higher, then we will see.

Ultimately I don’t really know why we as fans would know the details of his contract, other than what has been stated publicly, and as far as I was aware, the price was much lower than one might expect for such quality, due to contract issues and a little win-win on the release clause for selling club and player.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Very good player. He has kicked on the last year, and from being a maybe, he now looks a sure thing in terms of quality. If we sign him, it will give us four very good options, plus Origi and Minamino, maybe Shaqiri too if he sticks around, which I’m not expecting.

With AFCON coming at a very unfortunate time for the Prem season it’s a fair bet to say we will strengthen our options up top. Whether that’s Werner, Sancho, or someone else, remains to be seen.

My take on the price is that he was winding his deal down. He signed a new deal with a low release clause, which Leipzig went for, rather than losing him on a free. The low release clause will presumably also mean the player will attract high signing bonuses and so on, almost like a Bosman, as his true value is €100M and not €30M.

If Garibaldi is right, and the €30M thing isn’t really in play, and all that does is get you into a conversation, but the price will actually be much higher, then we will see.

Ultimately I don’t really know why we as fans would know the details of his contract, other than what has been stated publicly, and as far as I was aware, the price was much lower than one might expect for such quality, due to contract issues and a little win-win on the release clause for selling club and player.
I think it interesting that despite Bayern wanting another forward, and the supposed low price, they appear to be not really that interested in him.

Red over the water

I think it interesting that despite Bayern wanting another forward, and the supposed low price, they appear to be not really that interested in him.
Yep, it is a bit strange, as Bayern are normally right in there when young German talent starts to mature and shine.

Perhaps it means Werner has already agreed his next destination, so Bayern are backing out publicly to save face. They are also supposed to be in for Sane, so maybe they aren't inclined to get into a bidding war with Chelsea/Man Utd/Liverpool/whoever for Werner. (Not that I"m saying we are in for him, but we would be one of perhaps half a dozen teams in the world who could).

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Yep, it is a bit strange, as Bayern are normally right in there when young German talent starts to mature and shine.

Perhaps it means Werner has already agreed his next destination, so Bayern are backing out publicly to save face. They are also supposed to be in for Sane, so maybe they aren't inclined to get into a bidding war with Chelsea/Man Utd/Liverpool/whoever for Werner. (Not that I"m saying we are in for him, but we would be one of perhaps half a dozen teams in the world who could).
I dont think so. By all accounts Bayern was always his preferred choice, and were expected to get him last summer. They have also shown they arent averse to persuading players to come on a free ahead of time.

Yet by last summer the talk was they were no longer interested.

[email protected]

The only bidding war would be on his wages.

I dont recall a club offering more than an amount in the release clause and would imagine it would only happen where it didnt know it existed, or at how much it had been set for. The release clause fee will be his price tag.
Technically not quite bidding more than a release clause/buy out clause but United did once do this...

Status
Not open for further replies.