• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Timo Werner (CF) RB Leipzig

What will Werner be leaning on?

• The Wall of Champions, pointing at the newly installed 6

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Nabil Fekir's knee

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • A bog standard table, with a bog standard pen, and a sheet of random paper

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • The Champions League trophy for some weird reason

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Sadio's jockstrap

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • The railing at Melwood

• Ralf Rangnick's animosity

• A giant can of Red Bull, cos he's not coming

Votes: 40 45.5%
  • "Brazilian shit from beaches"

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garibaldi

Thanks for putting these stats up. My first reaction when seeing this is that the three top players in this table are playing in Germany. That for me says something about the players of course, but also about the league.

My sense (from watching Bundesliga a bit, and keeping myself informed about how it evolves) is that this league has more open football than elsewhere. Good for the fans that, but it's probably no haphazard that Bundesliga clubs haven't really shone in Europe in the last few years. Tactically, a lot of goals are allowed to go in, including the top teams. Leipzig, Bayern, Dortmund have allowed a lot of goals against them so far.

So, a good striker with a bit more space to operate in, will shine more than in a more tactical league like Serie A or La Liga. The PL is another kettle of fish. It's not great tactically overall, but has a lot of park-the-bus teams, and outrageous physical demands. A striker will experience more problems in it: he'll have less space, the game will be quicker and far more demanding.

And finally, a striker playing for us will be asked to put in an incredible defensive and pressing shift, beyond his attacking contribution. Playing for us is the very, very highest level right now. So, would Werner be able to slot in and perform accordingly to what would be asked from him? Maybe, maybe not, I've no idea. But Klopp and the people at the club will know for sure. They have already proven multiple times that they go for a very precise type of player for every position. Whether Werner is on their list or not is for anyone to guess.
I agree with you on everything. I have sad it already that the PL is the toughest league in the World and not everyone can play here. That is true. from whatever I have seen, Timo is very well defensively. If he lost the ball, he will chase his opponent till he gets it back or kick it away. His speed allows him to penetrate the opponents defense and create situations for his team-mates. That 6 assists in 20 games show that he is not just a consumer as many other # 9. He actually plays also as a play-maker, as well as left winger. I don't understand the negative reaction of many forum members toward him. If we can get this guy for 30 millions, I don't see the reason why we shouldn't do it. For one reserve player as Nabi Keita we have pad what? ... 45 millions? And where is Keita as a player, where is Werner? This is LOW RISK, HIGH REWARD situation for us. This kind of opportunity wouldn't come very often.

Garibaldi

Not being in top form and being invisible are two entirely different things. I've now watched highlights of the game and it is blatantly obvious that the front 3 were not invisible at all during the game. Given their work rate in exposing and stretching the defence, and the gilt edged chances that could have been taken (from my count Mo could have easily finished with 2 goals, Mane 1 and Firmino 2 or 3) I find it hard to see any justification in saying they werent in top form either.
Well, that is your opinion. Mine is different. No need to argue.

Not Worthy

I agree with you on everything. I have sad it already that the PL is the toughest league in the World and not everyone can play here. That is true. from whatever I have seen, Timo is very well defensively. If he lost the ball, he will chase his opponent till he gets it back or kick it away. His speed allows him to penetrate the opponents defense and create situations for his team-mates. That 6 assists in 20 games show that he is not just a consumer as many other # 9. He actually plays also as a play-maker, as well as left winger. I don't understand the negative reaction of many forum members toward him. If we can get this guy for 30 millions, I don't see the reason why we shouldn't do it. For one reserve player as Nabi Keita we have pad what? ... 45 millions? And where is Keita as a player, where is Werner? This is LOW RISK, HIGH REWARD situation for us. This kind of opportunity wouldn't come very often.
Just about everybody here would like to have Werner. I'm not sure whether you're confusing negativity of your tone of argument with negativity toward Werner.

How many posters are saying "no" to Liverpool signing him ?

Garibaldi

Well if you just read the other threads maybe you'd be in "the know". ( as you were advised to do by other members ) :unsure::cool:
I haven't read yet the other threads in the forum. Here we are talking about Timo Werner and bringing in other names makes no sense at all.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Bobby? He is not Bobby dude. He is not English. He is brazilian s..t from their beaches. Nothing more. I don't like even to mention his name. Period.
Hijacking thread....
Gary Neville on Roberto Firmino: “Any manager in the world would have him!” You'll probably say Neville is like Jon Snow, he knows nothing.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
First we had to pay €120m, now it's 30m even though most sources are agreed it's €55m.

Are you makati in disguise?

Status
Not open for further replies.