Votes: 3 4.1%
  • A giant can of Red Bull, cos he's not coming

Votes: 33 44.6%
  • "Brazilian shit from beaches"

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters

Dimitriy

Great post
...And finally, a striker playing for us will be asked to put in an incredible defensive and pressing shift, beyond his attacking contribution. Playing for us is the very, very highest level right now. So, would Werner be able to slot in and perform accordingly to what would be asked from him? Maybe, maybe not, I've no idea. But Klopp and the people at the club will know for sure. They have already proven multiple times that they go for a very precise type of player for every position. Whether Werner is on their list or not is for anyone to guess.
...Out of the the stats:-18 matches - 20 goals - 6 assists ...this element- total of 64 shots taken, 43 on target ...67% -Not bad at all, regardless of the league. But, this can be missleading also. Same thought as @Hope in your heart;-the amount of effort he will have to sustain playing for us is on a whole different level. And there's the catch...If he could survive it, and still be able to have that percentage of efficiency, well-no brainer that. We have the best team for those analytics...
Guys, can someone assist...How much did Mo worked in defense, during the first season, in comparison to the effort he does today ?

Last edited:

The Infamous

Dude. My point is one. Firmino and Salah are not performing at their level. Don't try to cover the OBVIOUS truth, it won't help anyone.
Fake fan. Salah and Firmino are instrumental. This Werner guy is a run in behind merchant. He hasn’t proved anything. He isn’t Mbappe we don’t need to make space for him. If he comes he has to prove his worth. Origi is a CL final scorer even he is hard to dislodge. Let alone Bobby and Mo. Foh

The Infamous

Just read this guys posts even worse than the Ward Prowse guy (what a tool)

good riddance

has to be timos bird or something

talking about driving players to the airport are u even from the uk. Let alone Merseyside

vjcpatriot

Bobby? He is not Bobby dude. He is not English. He is brazilian s..t from their beaches. Nothing more. I don't like even to mention his name. Period.
That sounds Effing racist. WTF do you have against Brazilians? Our #1 striker is Brazilian and our #1 GK is Brazilian. So you won't call them by their names? GTFO here!

vjcpatriot

Well, I'm glad that bigoted dumbass finally got the boot.

As for Werner - I guess I'll believe it when I see it. Perhaps we can adopt a 4-2-3-1 with him at striker in front of Bobby. That would scare any opponent even more than they are already.
Whether we acquired Werner, Havertz, or Mbappe the next step always would have been a 2-3-1 to fit all that attacking talent at once into the squad. I'm not convinced we will move for any of them, but I would be happy if we do.

Firmino has the flexibility to stay at the spear in the #9 position or to drop to AMC/shadow striker if we sign a more prolific striker. Bobby is the best two-way #9 in the world, and a great link-up playmaker to boot, but at times he shows profligacy with his finishing. Werner, who currently sits with 20 goals in the Bundesliga, might be an upgrade up front, kicking Bobby to more of a shadow striker role but doing so would make our attack even harder to stop.

Of course if we blow it all on Mbappe instead, I have no regrets. But you might be able to buy both Havertz and Werner for the price of Kylian Mbappe.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Our front 3 are already the best in the world. Then there is Minamino who we hope can be molded so he makes it a quartet. If Werner joins, things will only get better.

Werner isn't the best striker in the world (still a lot to prove in the big games); but he is probably in the Top 10 with the potential to be better. Klopp can make him better.

In a few years, or if one of our front 3 chooses to leave... that is when we go out to buy the best in the world if we don't already have them.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I'll file this whole Werner thing in the same filing cabinet where I'll keep Mbappé in the folder "I believe it when I see the lean and not a moment sooner".

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Our front 3 are already the best in the world. Then there is Minamino who we hope can be molded so he makes it a quartet. If Werner joins, things will only get better.
I don’t understand this theory. We have the best team in the world and if we add another this will make us even better? Not sure about this. Someone will get disappointed from time to time - that is for sure.

Jaytinho

I don’t understand this theory. We have the best team in the world and if we add another this will make us even better? Not sure about this. Someone will get disappointed from time to time - that is for sure.
I trust Klopp, but lets not pretend like he is a perfect human being. But, that aside, I do believe that theres no way in hell Klopp signs Werner without Bobby in mind. Bobby probably draws defenders out better to accommodate Mane and Salah better from a CF position. But tactically, I dont think him doing that from an AM position would be a huge difference. It could even get him more space to link up more from out wide, while Werner makes the box his common hunting ground

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Just feels like too much talk on this for me to believe its happening. More like there is fishing on the other side. Sure we are monitoring him and "interested" in that we probably monitor and have interest in lots of players, keep files and records on what their availability situation would be. Just our way of operating seems to keep things on the quiet. Player and camp keep it quiet because they are committed to us and not trying to drum up other interest and we don't really talk about it to our journalists till it's nearly done. Even the selling clubs kind of stay in a resigned silence knowing there is no point leaking the details as there won't be any interest in the player going anywhere else so they just quietly accept the deal we've agreed. Not like that every deal obviously but seems like this one would be like that in my eyes.

Gazmaninaus

While I don’t profess to be an expert on German Football. I have been taking a keen interest in Timo recently. My views are the kid is a talent without doubt but he doesn’t seem like an industrious lad. He appears to drift in and out of the game. He also tends to stay wide on the left. Not really a central player. I also don’t see a great effort at tracking back. Something Bobby is relentless at. Yes he’s good at putting the ball in the can but Klopp seems to want more than that. I really only see him as an Origi replacement at the moment. So I think it’s bullshit.

Limiescouse

I trust Klopp, but lets not pretend like he is a perfect human being. But, that aside, I do believe that theres no way in hell Klopp signs Werner without Bobby in mind. Bobby probably draws defenders out better to accommodate Mane and Salah better from a CF position. But tactically, I dont think him doing that from an AM position would be a huge difference. It could even get him more space to link up more from out wide, while Werner makes the box his common hunting ground
The false 9 position is effective not because of the areas of the pitch that you get him on the ball, but because of the movement he made to get onto the ball. You start in a position that makes the defender want to pick you up and then pull him into areas he doesnt want to be making it difficult for the back line to stay organized. So the difference between a false 9 and and an AM is ultimately how much you disturb the organization of the back line...the latter means getting the ball facing an organized back line with no gaps created for the likes of Mane and Salah to run into.

It is not a case of pure addition by dropping Bobby back and adding another pure forward.

Last edited:

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I'll file this whole Werner thing in the same filing cabinet where I'll keep Mbappé in the folder "I believe it when I see the lean and not a moment sooner".
Haha, same for me. :LOL: Although I'd add that getting Werner is probably a more realistic bet than getting Mbappe. IF the club is interested, that is, which remains to be seen.

With Mbappe, it's the contrary: any club would be interested, but it's entirely up to him to make his choice. With Werner, I'm still not sure that Klopp has an eye on him, we'll see.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Haha, same for me. :LOL: Although I'd add that getting Werner is probably a more realistic bet than getting Mbappe. IF the club is interested, that is, which remains to be seen.

With Mbappe, it's the contrary: any club would be interested, but it's entirely up to him to make his choice. With Werner, I'm still not sure that Klopp has an eye on him, we'll see.
I saw it mentioned on Twitter that Werner's agent is someone that Klopp idolised as a player. Probably not relevant, but thought it interesting.

Richard88

It's unlikely that Werner would play the Firmino role, he's just not that type of forward at all. Firmino prefers playing centrally and drifting into midfield, whereas Werner likes to drift wide and make runs in behind, which makes him best suited to the Salah role (but mirrored on the left).

That said, given that he prefers playing on the left I think the biggest question with Werner is whether he'd be willing to buy into the sort of defensive responsibilities that Mané has on the left if he were to be played in he same lineup as Salah. Alternatively, I could see Werner being given more freedom to stay high up the pitch just like Salah, however, having both Salah and Werner in that role might unbalance the side defensively a bit (compared to when Mané is deeper than Salah who clearly stays higher up the pitch).

Tactically speaking we do currently lack alternatives up front who can replicate what Mané and Salah do, given that all our forward options beyond them like to come short instead of running deep (i.e. Shaqiri, Origi). With that in mind I think Werner would be an excellent signing tactically speaking, given that he can cover both of those tactical roles (assuming that he'd be willing to buy into the defensive side of things in Mané's role).

I expect that Shaqiri will move on in the summer - there has after all been plenty of noise about that happening both last August and this week after all. Signing Werner would almost assuredly mean the departure of Origi as well, and going into next season our forward lineup then would be as follows:

---- Mané (28) ---------------- Salah (27) ------
--- Werner (23) --------------- Elliott (16) ------
----------------- Firmino (28) -------------------
---------------- Minamino (25) -----------------

The options above would balance the attack much more than it is currently, as all 3 of the substitute options resemble the First XI players in their respective positions, more so when comparing Origi and Shaqiri to Mané and Salah. Minamino is also ideally suited to that slightly withdrawn central role too.

Werner would obviously be more of a rotation option with Mané and Salah rather than a pure backup, whereas Minamino would be a pure backup in that central role (as well as on the right on occasion). This would be the perfect balance in the front 3 positions, with 4 qualified starter-level players, 1 experienced backup (Minamino), and youth options rounding out the depth beyond that.

Speaking of which, I expect that Brewster will be given another loan next season in order to maximise his gametime, either to a Championship side or a PL team depending on how he does this season. Should we sign another forward player this summer it would be clear that Brewster was probably viewed as an option to come into the first team proper once one of the current front 3 are inevitably moved on 18+ months from now.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
The only way , as has been mentioned before , that Werner gets into the team and make a fab 4 again is if we get mane to play alongside Bobby in a free role and Werner and Salah get the wings to come in from. Probably a 4-2-2-2 formation that Salzburg uses with mane and Bobby having those free roles and the defensive duties to boot too.

Is it the best use of resources , nope... Is it doable ... Yep. Will klopp use this going forward just to fit in one extra attacker... Doubt it.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
:unsure: Best doesn't mean that it can't get better.

Most likely it will mean players like Origi and Shaqiri will get sold on... perhaps in the same window.

Yes, Werner's playing time will be affected. And disappointed from time to time is fine as long as he is overall satisfied or doesn't complain.

He isn't Mbappe good yet... even if he goes to Real Madrid, Bayern or Barcelona he is going to have to rotate.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Werner posses the same dilemma for me as any other CF, he is not Firmino. There is no one like him.
so whoever Klopp brings in, that means a change.
I watched Werner a bit on the Bundas liga and playing for Germany ( where he did not impress ), and while he is lethal and when presented with a chance he will make the most of it, he didn't look that fast, nor as a creator of chances.
If we do end up getting him, I assume Klopp has in mind a way to use him and get the best out of him.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Not buying these rumours yet, they're not quite good enough. The last thing Honigstein said if that we're interested, but no moves yet, though that was also around 2 months back. He thinks we should go for him. Probably thinks long term, with his age, that it just makes sense for us to go for him if the price is right and it's strategically a good move.

If we're doing it, then I'm interested in the price, his willingness to join and how we imagine that game time.

He's a much different player to Bobby (the only thing they have in common is their general work ethic, though in a different way). Link up play is underrated in our game, which Bobby brings (and we don't put Origi, but mainly Mane when Bobby is out). Not even someone like Torres could do that, just a totally different type of player (like Firmino wouldn't be that good if he had much less pace/movement in behind/goals around him, he can't carry the attack as a lone striker like Torres did... Werner is closer to the latter, but again, different). Don't know how would our attack function if we had Salah, Mane and Werner up top.

Werner seems to me like someone who is not a lone striker, at least not for a dominant side (the exception would be a Leicester type of team, but he's better than that). Not a winger either. I'd call him a forward who needs to have a partner who works in the opposite things he's not good at, or that he needs to have options so he can bring the few things that really stand out with him; pace, runs in behind, the capacity to do that for long periods, good finishing. Anything with a 2 up top formation is good for him, or as a wide forward in the right combination with the other two players.

In certain technical aspects though, touches, linking the play, passes, etc. You immediately see that those aspects are quite lower. And that's becoming more and more important in our game, that's where we've gone onto a new level with the increased involvement of Lijnders in our trainings.

I thought he might be good this season with Nagelsmann coming in. His football, his formations, not surprised that it looks like he's gone onto a new little level. He's not lonely up there and can focus on the things he does so well.

If we have the likes of Minamino and Shaqiri off the sides, then Werner up top makes more sense (but then that question of willingness to join rises...). Not sure it works well with Mane and especially Salah. In that case there could be even more tasks for Mane, who already works so much. I think Shaqiri might leave, but I think him and Origi can't rest on their "laurels". For me they're still in a situation to fight for each season to remain here.

Then again, perhaps Klopp doesn't want another combining player. Is there a rising possibility of Salah leaving (a whole different and difficult question as well, who comes in for him and for what money)? Werner playing either as that right sided forward with the highest freedom or in front of Bobby in a 4-2-3-1. I've noticed he played Keita more as the RCM (or RM, but tucked in) in the last period he was fit. Perhaps we're having a look at changing a few things down that side (where Trent acts more as a playmaker/passer than a runner like Robbo on the opposite side), I don't know. Maybe in Klopp's mind the time has come for a new, more serious offensive signing.

Last edited:

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Some might know that i have a soft spot for VfB Stuttgart and that means I am watching Timo Werner for 6 years now.

He is all about his speed. Finally improved his finishing this season. That’s all. Think he almost reached his full potential already. Maybe he will get better if he plays with better team mates. Can’t see him score 15 goals in England tbh.

Would also label him 'soft' and mentally weak.

Wonder what other German posters think @Nur der BvB09 @Neukolln @Werder4life @Eintrachtfan and the others.

The Infamous

Some might know that i have a soft spot for VfB Stuttgart and that means I am watching Timo Werner for 6 years now.

He is all about his speed. Finally improved his finishing this season. That’s all. Think he almost reached his full potential already. Maybe he will get better if he plays with better team mates. Can’t see him score 15 goals in England tbh.

Wonder what other German posters think @Nur der BvB09 @Neukolln @Werder4life @Eintrachtfan and the others.
Not gonna say I’m a Bundesliga expert but I too remember him being a average winger years ago at Stuttgart. Brandt atleast changed position another player who I didn’t rate that much but he looks much better as a CM than a winger. Thank you for confirming my doubts.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

He reminds me a bit of Tello, the youngster at Barca we were regularly linked with about 5 years ago.

Werder4life

Not convinced about Werner tbh. I don't watch him often , but in the usual highlights , the NT matches and the occasions I watched my home team against RBL , he looked a bit "one trick pony". He has pace and is a good finisher and that's about it. He needs feeding though. In terms of role almost the opposite of Firmino atm , which could change ofc under Klopp.

My verdict: Not interested. If Klopp wants him , he's going to be great for LFC - since the Boss , unlike me , knows what he's doing.