• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Timo Werner (CF) RB Leipzig

What will Werner be leaning on?

• The Wall of Champions, pointing at the newly installed 6

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Nabil Fekir's knee

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • A bog standard table, with a bog standard pen, and a sheet of random paper

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • The Champions League trophy for some weird reason

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Sadio's jockstrap

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • The railing at Melwood

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Ralf Rangnick's animosity

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • A giant can of Red Bull, cos he's not coming

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • "Brazilian shit from beaches"

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters

nikz200

chelsea signing Hakim Ziyech at this point is probably a indication that they will want to make up for their abysmal jan window this summer and if i remember correctly werner is on their list.

For me Werner is someone , if the price is lowered like people are saying and we can get it done, then we should do it. In a perfect world we would get both Havertz and Werner but even if we just get Werner alone, i would say that would substantially add to our firepower. A lot of the title winning teams in the past have had 4 high level attacking players in which they rotate accordingly, City have had Sterling, Sane, Bernardo Silva and aguero with Jesus, so i don't see why we can't add Werner to the team without subtracting from it. Firmino would thrive from finding spaces in which Werner will run into.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
chelsea signing Hakim Ziyech at this point is probably a indication that they will want to make up for their abysmal jan window this summer and if i remember correctly werner is on their list.

For me Werner is someone , if the price is lowered like people are saying and we can get it done, then we should do it. In a perfect world we would get both Havertz and Werner but even if we just get Werner alone, i would say that would substantially add to our firepower. A lot of the title winning teams in the past have had 4 high level attacking players in which they rotate accordingly, City have had Sterling, Sane, Bernardo Silva and aguero with Jesus, so i don't see why we can't add Werner to the team without subtracting from it. Firmino would thrive from finding spaces in which Werner will run into.

The reports are that he wants us though and we want him. Falk seems reliable when it comes to German players so you have to feel there's no smoke without fire on this one.
From Werners perspective you'd imagine he looks at us with Klopp here and a style that's so perfectly suited to his game that we're the obvious choice.
No matter which team he does go to he'll have serious competition for places.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
It's that Falk guy who's always the first one to break news regarding Bayern, if I'm not mistaken? It seems like ages ago that he broke the news that Goretzka was joining them and I felt pretty bad over that, it's the first thing that I think of whenever I see an exclusive of his on Twitter... If true, he'd cost half of what Sancho would cost and while I'd prefer Sancho (or any speedy, tricky winger), I can see why Werner would be of interest to the club.

I still think of James Pearce's report that Brewster signed a new contract because had Klopp promised him that he wouldn't sign a new forward, specifically naming Werner back then, though. Not sure what to make of that, especially as Werner looks at home only in the striker role, where I hope Minamino will thrive.
Is Werner a tricky winger? Looks to me a fantastic transition player, excellent pace/shooting etc. But doesn't seem to have that much technical ability i.e. the Mane, zero to 100mph shimmy past.. Even Salah has sublime footwork etc.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Is Werner a tricky winger? Looks to me a fantastic transition player, excellent pace/shooting etc. But doesn't seem to have that much technical ability i.e. the Mane, zero to 100mph shimmy past.. Even Salah has sublime footwork etc.
If you look at all the stats for Werner his heat maps, xG, xA etc he's almost an identical Salah playing from the left.

There's some good articles about him in that regard knocking about

vjcpatriot

I believe we will buy Werner for his release clause of £51m and then sell Divock on for around £25m. A direct upgrade to the striker position acquired for a net of about £26m. I like Divock but I can't picture him as anything more than a career backup. I could see Werner playing at ST or Left Wing at times in our front four, if we go to 2-3-1 at times. Or he can simply help rest Firmino or Mane in our tried and true 4-3-3.

With Werner's scorching pace, he projects into another Aubemayeng or Vardy for the Premier League. Speed kills.

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
Pretty sure Shaq is definitely going and Origi is a high possibility too.
I don't think Shaq is, personally, though Origi I do agree could make way. I don't think Shaq has really had a first season due to the injuries and I reckon Jurgen will give him another year to see if he can really challenge as first rotation choice on the right. Maybe even as attacking mid in a 4-2-3-1.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I believe we will buy Werner for his release clause of £51m and then sell Divock on for around £25m. A direct upgrade to the striker position acquired for a net of about £26m. I like Divock but I can't picture him as anything more than a career backup. I could see Werner playing at ST or Left Wing at times in our front four, if we go to 2-3-1 at times. Or he can simply help rest Firmino or Mane in our tried and true 4-3-3.

With Werner's scorching pace, he projects into another Aubemayeng or Vardy for the Premier League. Speed kills.

The worry here is most of his goals are carbon copies of each other - either he finds space in the box for the cut back across or he's running in behind a high line and scores 1v1. Or penalties.

What is telling is the amount of defenders in the box when he scores his goals. He won't be allowed that amount of space at Liverpool.

Compare it with this video from Mane - look at how congested the penalty areas are for a large amount of his goals and how Mane has to be able to score in a variety of different ways.

Or Salah, whose goals more closely resemble Werner's but he generally has to do a lot more to get in those positions.

Having pace, intelligent movement and good finishing is a great basis for any player to work off but I wouldn't be anything like sure Werner could replicate his numbers here. How will he cope with a much reduced amount of space? It's anyone's guess really.

He's definitely a player with potential, and there's nobody better equipped than Klopp to unlock that, but his raw numbers are a little misleading IMO. He's nowhere near a sure thing as they would suggest.

macca1970

I believe we will buy Werner for his release clause of £51m and then sell Divock on for around £25m.

I'm glad you're not part of our transfer dealings :cool:

If we can get almost £20m for Solanke, then (if we do decide to sell Big Div this summer) we'd be looking to get a lot more than a measely £25M. Better keeping Big Div with us than accepting a low offer.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'm glad you're not part of our transfer dealings :cool:

If we can get almost £20m for Solanke, then (if we do decide to sell Big Div this summer) we'd be looking to get a lot more than a measely £25M. Better keeping Big Div with us than accepting a low offer.
Think Origi will go for somewhere between 30 and 40 million. Depends how many teams get interested. Be teams like Sevilla, Fiorentina and Leverkusen as a minimum in my eyes but also teams like Roma, Dortmund, Atletico could get interested too. Teams in Prem will want him but only maybe Leicester with an outside shot of Wolves may be able to tempt him into the move whilst also being able to afford him and us being willing to sanction the move (no way we would sell to Spurs, Arsenal etc or a heated rival in United/Everton).

Dave-D

Not the full bottle on him, just video clips etc... but the thought of the front 3 options being Werner, Minamino, The Three Amigos, ShaqAttack and Origi... surely that's one too many, but awesome!
Can see Shaqiri wanting out in the summer if teams of a decent calibre want him and if another attacker is purchased I can see Divock wanting out to make the step up to first choice somewhere.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
The worry here is most of his goals are carbon copies of each other - either he finds space in the box for the cut back across or he's running in behind a high line and scores 1v1. Or penalties.

What is telling is the amount of defenders in the box when he scores his goals. He won't be allowed that amount of space at Liverpool.

Compare it with this video from Mane - look at how congested the penalty areas are for a large amount of his goals and how Mane has to be able to score in a variety of different ways.

Or Salah, whose goals more closely resemble Werner's but he generally has to do a lot more to get in those positions.

Having pace, intelligent movement and good finishing is a great basis for any player to work off but I wouldn't be anything like sure Werner could replicate his numbers here. How will he cope with a much reduced amount of space? It's anyone's guess really.

He's definitely a player with potential, and there's nobody better equipped than Klopp to unlock that, but his raw numbers are a little misleading IMO. He's nowhere near a sure thing as they would suggest.
Yep, and if you compare him to Sancho's goals and assists, Sancho is like you've cloned a Mane/Salah combination.

Here's a decent video showing Sancho and the bold bit from your post is demonstrated quite a few times.

p.s. How many headers does Mane score, it's like half his goals! Well unexpected!

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Yep, and if you compare him to Sancho's goals and assists, Sancho is like you've cloned a Mane/Salah combination.

Here's a decent video showing Sancho and the bold bit from your post is demonstrated quite a few times.

p.s. How many headers does Mane score, it's like half his goals! Well unexpected!
Yes, there's absolutely no doubt that Sancho has more strings to his bow than Werner and is the better player. The main arguments against Sancho would be money/squad harmony (not looking to get into that debate again though!).

Despite all the criticisms/worries about Werner, he could still be worth a buy even if these perceived limitations are true if he applied himself properly. Again though, I have my doubts about whether he's got the mentality for it, though that's not as easy to put into words, more of a gut instinct.

The player we buy for those wide positions does not necessarily need to be a world class one, just somebody who is a bit more suitable than the current options. It's not as if our options over the previous 30 months have been anything like ideal yet we tend to do okay when missing one of Mane or Salah. Would Werner be the right player? I'm not sure. He might be, but he's not a 'standout' candidate for me, just one of a few potentially good options.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
That video actually reminds me a bit of Fernando Torres

If he does come to us I could see us moving to a 4231 with Werner up top and Mane, Bobby and Salah the 3, think he would give us that option, could be effective from the left forward position in a 433 too.

Chrenyan

My two cents: it felt like this was a done deal as soon as it came out that per Werner's contract, he was available at a discounted price only until the end of April. That just seemed to speak of fairly advanced contract discussions, to me.

I think we'll see this move fairly quickly now.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I must be Timo's jinx.

Another poor game from him. Bremen defended reasonably deeply and didn't commit too many men forward. As a result, Werner had to get the ball deeper than he would like and most of the time he wasted it or looked short of ideas. Also did a fair bit of falling over and complaining to the ref.

Richard88

It's that Falk guy who's always the first one to break news regarding Bayern, if I'm not mistaken? It seems like ages ago that he broke the news that Goretzka was joining them and I felt pretty bad over that, it's the first thing that I think of whenever I see an exclusive of his on Twitter... If true, he'd cost half of what Sancho would cost and while I'd prefer Sancho (or any speedy, tricky winger), I can see why Werner would be of interest to the club.

I still think of James Pearce's report that Brewster signed a new contract because had Klopp promised him that he wouldn't sign a new forward, specifically naming Werner back then, though. Not sure what to make of that, especially as Werner looks at home only in the striker role, where I hope Minamino will thrive.
Brewster will (or at least, should) get another loan next season. The idea will probably be for Brewster to get as much gametime as he can at a good level for the next 18 months, and then be considered as a replacement for whichever one of Mané, Firmino, and Salah is moved on first. Or simply the next Origi (i.e. backup striker).

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
She sounds pretty confident, using a headline like that.
The headline is misleading though. The conditions are that he doesn't mind not being first choice and that he might get options to go elsewhere where he'll get a greater number of minutes. So fairly fundamental as to whether the transfer might actually happen. If Reddy is reporting it then we can be reasonably sure that the club are genuinely interested. Of all the attackers linked this one has always seemed to me the most likely to come off. I'm sure the AFCON switch/the Olympics will have raised the priority on getting another attacking player in this summer.