• A giant can of Red Bull, cos he's not coming

Votes: 33 44.6%
  • "Brazilian shit from beaches"

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Timo Werner saying yesterday he'd have to learn a lot to be a proper player for Liverpool, is a rare example of realism from a player whose agent probably wouldn't want that message.
If he is soon to become a Red, let's hope the kid's curve won't be too steep. I'm a Werner sceptic, but in Klopp we trust.
So this is Mel Reddy saying that Werner would have to accept starting off as an understudy, and then Werner saying he’d have to learn how to be a proper player.

Hmmm. Everything slotting into place on this one, I think.

Cologne-Liverpool

Yeah, it looks more and more likely...He used to say nice things about Bayern as well, Red Bull 'warned' him about the move etc...but then Bayern decided not to go for him. Heard rumours that his release clause is only available until April - can anyone confirm that?

If we actually end up signing him, I'm hoping for some Klopp magic.

MinniMo

We need him, probably more than he needs us. We could be without Salah for a couple of months all told next season, Mane for a few weeks (along with Keita) - the Olympics and AFCON taking their grip on our squad.

Now we all know the routine, we have done it plenty with Klopp. The 'sub' plays, and usually exceptionally well, so well that the 1st teamer struggles to get back in, and often has to wait for the 'sub' to get an injury or screw up. Werner will have a huge opportunity if Salah does go to the Olympics, he will be doing the pre season, and on his performance, could start the season. If he really shines - will Klopp remove him when Salah returns? or do as he has before and keep Werner playing?

What a fabulous position to be in, but to be able to rotate our front 3 into a rotation of 4 - it just has to be doesn't it?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I'm starting to feel like it's becoming a question of when, not if, for Werner. I'm interested to know what the plan would be for him. Direct replacement for someone like Origi? Primary backup for Bobby? Or a signal that we might be switching to a 4-2-3-1 with Bobby dropping back into AM?

Cologne-Liverpool

I'm starting to feel like it's becoming a question of when, not if, for Werner. I'm interested to know what the plan would be for him. Direct replacement for someone like Origi? Primary backup for Bobby? Or a signal that we might be switching to a 4-2-3-1 with Bobby dropping back into AM?
No clue what Klopp would do - but personally I'd prefer him as a backup for Mane primarily and for Bobby more situationally/tactically - counter attacks etc. I think in general he tends to benefit from a workhorse in a central position that allows him to find spaces and that he can link up with.
But tbf, who doesn't?

Ahmed Hussain

Sad guy with no life :(
See this as nailed on tbh. Would want Sancho as well. Don't understand how players are not affordable anymore since Liverpool have saved alot of money last summer as well as the money coming in from the champions league, premier league, etc. I get Klopp probably doesn't see why he should sign a player for that much money since he isn't going to be a guaranteed starter but this kid could be special. Werner playing for Klopp could be a monster but it'll mean Firmino either loses his spot or becomes a number 10. It does seem unfair for someone in the starting line-up now to drop to the bench but I think it'll be Wijnaldum based on his age.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
So this is Mel Reddy saying that Werner would have to accept starting off as an understudy, and then Werner saying he’d have to learn how to be a proper player.

Hmmm. Everything slotting into place on this one, I think.
"I can't say whether we are interested or not," Klopp said in an interview with Sky when asked about Liverpool's reported interest in the striker, according to Fussball.news.

"Timo is a very good player. It's not unusual for him to be linked with us. After all, I'm a German coach who works abroad. But it's not automatically the case that we sign 12 German internationals every year," he added.

Zinedine Biscan

"I can't say whether we are interested or not," Klopp said in an interview with Sky when asked about Liverpool's reported interest in the striker, according to Fussball.news.

"Timo is a very good player. It's not unusual for him to be linked with us. After all, I'm a German coach who works abroad. But it's not automatically the case that we sign 12 German internationals every year," he added.

It's not a no, is it?

LFC_Jeffrey7

Oh no, but I don't think that he'd answer the question in that way if it was already a done deal as some seem to think.
I think the deal is verbally agreed BUT LFC might be delaying to officially announce it because...that could unsettle the team AND there might be other target(s) linked (i.e. if Sancho is available at good price, LFC might go ahead with him instead)

That being said Werner would be great signing no mater what.

Zinedine Biscan

Oh no, but I don't think that he'd answer the question in that way if it was already a done deal as some seem to think.
No, I don't think it's a done deal yet, either. But if anything Klopp's words make me more convinced it's now just a matter of time.

If there was no interest, I'd have expected the usual line: "he's a good player, we like him, but we're happy with our squad and have no plans to sign him at this time".

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
No, I don't think it's a done deal yet, either. But if anything Klopp's words make me more convinced it's now just a matter of time.

If there was no interest, I'd have expected the usual line: "he's a good player, we like him, but we're happy with our squad and have no plans to sign him at this time".
I don't actually think it's as strong as what he said over Mbappe. Basically there is no reason to not sign him but nobody (including us) can afford what PSG would ask for. Which is basically coming as close as Klopp would ever come to saying that PSG need to drop the asking price if they want to sell him to someone other than Real in the next 2 years before losing him for nothing.

Not Worthy

Even if it is a done deal, I don't think either team would want to announce it whilst the season is 'live' or until, at the earliest, the time at which Werner's release clause is due/imminent. It'll be a distracting talking-point that has no added-value to the club, manager or players of either team.

Apart from the excitement of the fans, what would be the point ?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

Mmm... touché... (y)

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
When I think on it, a part of me prefers the fact that there’s question marks over a few components of his game

I like that we are looking at a player that still needs to improve, as opposed to one that thinks he just needs to change his shirt and keep doing what he’s doing, but just in a different postcode.

It means he won’t be comfortable from the get go, he’s willing to learn, but will be learning in klopps way.

Not saying mbappe or Sancho wouldn’t be willing students, and want to improve, but there’s no real question marks over them, if it goes a bit pear, they’ll be s Monty for their next move, maybe not so much with Werner.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
When I think on it, a part of me prefers the fact that there’s question marks over a few components of his game

I like that we are looking at a player that still needs to improve, as opposed to one that thinks he just needs to change his shirt and keep doing what he’s doing, but just in a different postcode.

It means he won’t be comfortable from the get go, he’s willing to learn, but will be learning in klopps way.

Not saying mbappe or Sancho wouldn’t be willing students, and want to improve, but there’s no real question marks over them, if it goes a bit pear, they’ll be s Monty for their next move, maybe not so much with Werner.
Absolutely right. None of Werner, Sancho, Havertz and Mbappe would come and be the complete player that Klopp needs. In fact, I can only remember VVD, Alisson and maybe Salah as players who slot in almost immediately with ease. The rest needed time to learn and play to Klopp's strategies. So all 4 seem to fit into our style of play with different strengths but if you were to buy the other 3, Sancho, Havertz and Mbappe at the price they were quoted at, they would almost be expected to make a difference immediately. As much people will say, people will expect them to score immediately, play immediately and be the best player immediately. With Werner's price, in combination with his attitude to learn and already good foundation, he would be given time and space to learn and play into the team under the tutelage of Klopp and learning from the best trio of attack currently in the world.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
This one has been around a while and it looks like it might finally happen.
Happy with that,Werner seems a sensible kid and knows he has a learning curve ahead.
Who better to learn off than our squad and Klopp.
He’ll see that,and if he does come,he will be very aware of it.
He’ll will get games soon enough,AFCON will ensure that.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Absolutely right. None of Werner, Sancho, Havertz and Mbappe would come and be the complete player that Klopp needs. In fact, I can only remember VVD, Alisson and maybe Salah as players who slot in almost immediately with ease. The rest needed time to learn and play to Klopp's strategies. So all 4 seem to fit into our style of play with different strengths but if you were to buy the other 3, Sancho, Havertz and Mbappe at the price they were quoted at, they would almost be expected to make a difference immediately. As much people will say, people will expect them to score immediately, play immediately and be the best player immediately. With Werner's price, in combination with his attitude to learn and already good foundation, he would be given time and space to learn and play into the team under the tutelage of Klopp and learning from the best trio of attack currently in the world.
Players Klopp bought and played from the off without problem;

Mane, Wijnaldum, Klavan, Matip, Salah, Van Dijk, Alisson.

Players Klopp bought and played from the off but who then struggled a little so he gave more adaption time too;

Karius, Keita, Minamino.

Players he slowly phased into the team;

Oxlade-Chamberlain, Solanke, Robertson, Shaqiri, Fabinho.

So 2 thirds of Klopps first team signings have started playing from the off. First games available to them after arrival. Three struggled (seemingly, was unsure if that was harsh on Minamino as he is a cover player only anyway) and then got given more adaption time. Only 1/3 of Klopps signings got that time to adapt straight off and one of them was Solanke, 2 CMs where Klopp has particularly unique instructions/style and 2 of the opportunist signings we've made if hidden diamond style pick ups for cheap from relegated sides that played nothing like us.

Most big signings, especially from teams that play a little more like us, are given game time straight away and most learn the subtleties of Klopps system through a combination of preseason and playing time/training whilst the season is playing out.

I think of the big 4 famous "targets" people are takking about Sancho and Mbappe would have zero problem starting straight away, Havertz may need adaptation time depending on his expected use and Werner maybe if he is going to be converted into a Salah style forward it'll be about making sure he's got the required discipline of starting wide and tracking back, only cutting in to attack the box when it's time.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Yeah, it looks more and more likely...He used to say nice things about Bayern as well, Red Bull 'warned' him about the move etc...but then Bayern decided not to go for him. Heard rumours that his release clause is only available until April - can anyone confirm that?

If we actually end up signing him, I'm hoping for some Klopp magic.
Why do you say this, you obviously saw him play more than I do, I don't follow the Bundesliga, but why do you think Klopp has to spread his magic on him. Don't you think he is the finished product that fits right in?

Mascot88

Admin
Players Klopp bought and played from the off without problem;

Mane, Wijnaldum, Klavan, Matip, Salah, Van Dijk, Alisson.

Players Klopp bought and played from the off but who then struggled a little so he gave more adaption time too;

Karius, Keita, Minamino.

Players he slowly phased into the team;

Oxlade-Chamberlain, Solanke, Robertson, Shaqiri, Fabinho.

So 2 thirds of Klopps first team signings have started playing from the off. First games available to them after arrival. Three struggled (seemingly, was unsure if that was harsh on Minamino as he is a cover player only anyway) and then got given more adaption time. Only 1/3 of Klopps signings got that time to adapt straight off and one of them was Solanke, 2 CMs where Klopp has particularly unique instructions/style and 2 of the opportunist signings we've made if hidden diamond style pick ups for cheap from relegated sides that played nothing like us.

Most big signings, especially from teams that play a little more like us, are given game time straight away and most learn the subtleties of Klopps system through a combination of preseason and playing time/training whilst the season is playing out.

I think of the big 4 famous "targets" people are takking about Sancho and Mbappe would have zero problem starting straight away, Havertz may need adaptation time depending on his expected use and Werner maybe if he is going to be converted into a Salah style forward it'll be about making sure he's got the required discipline of starting wide and tracking back, only cutting in to attack the box when it's time.
Firstly Karius wasn’t really adaption time. He came straight in, broke his wrist, and then struggled from there.

Solanke was always a bit of a punt on a youth prospect. Not so much adaptation, as not being good enough to start.

Minamino was dropped in for an FA cup game amongst the reserves and kids. I don’t think that counts as straight in the side.

Keita, given his education at Leipzig, was expected to hit the ground running, but didn’t.

We simply don’t know which players will need time to adapt. Keita was supposed to have been an absolutely sure thing - a player Klopp could have build from scratch himself - such was his suitability for Klopp’s system.

Then you have a player like Wijnaldum. Played AM and wide through his career, but Klopp signs him, plays him Centre mid, and he doesn’t miss a beat.

There are a few things going on here

Firstly, all players are not equal. Some will ‘get it’ more than others. Some adapt better. Some need more time.

Secondly, over time, Klopp’s needs have changed and become more exacting. Also expectations have changed. As we’ve developed from top four challengers to title winners there is simply less tolerance to learning on the job or putting up with ropey performances. There is just no margin for error. If a player needs to find their feet they can’t do it in the first team.

There is no way to tell whether players will need to adapt or for how long. I know you like Sancho, but how long it will take for him to understand the demands on him is something we cannot know until he signs.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Firstly Karius wasn’t really adaption time. He came straight in, broke his wrist, and then struggled from there.

Solanke was always a bit of a punt on a youth prospect. Not so much adaptation, as not being good enough to start.

Minamino was dropped in for an FA cup game amongst the reserves and kids. I don’t think that counts as straight in the side.

Keita, given his education at Leipzig, was expected to hit the ground running, but didn’t.

We simply don’t know which players will need time to adapt. Keita was supposed to have been an absolutely sure thing - a player Klopp could have build from scratch himself - such was his suitability for Klopp’s system.

Then you have a player like Wijnaldum. Played AM and wide through his career, but Klopp signs him, plays him Centre mid, and he doesn’t miss a beat.

There are a few things going on here

Firstly, all players are not equal. Some will ‘get it’ more than others. Some adapt better. Some need more time.

Secondly, over time, Klopp’s needs have changed and become more exacting. Also expectations have changed. As we’ve developed from top four challengers to title winners there is simply less tolerance to learning on the job or putting up with ropey performances. There is just no margin for error. If a player needs to find their feet they can’t do it in the first team.

There is no way to tell whether players will need to adapt or for how long. I know you like Sancho, but how long it will take for him to understand the demands on him is something we cannot know until he signs.
It's a myth that all Klopps signings take adaptation time. Most really do come straight in and play straight away. One or two, like Keita and Karius, have then been dropped and given more time to adjust (as you say injuries feature highly in those cases too). Actually very few of Klopps signings are kept away from the match day squads for awhile till they've adapted. Only really CMs and players from lesser (relegated) teams who were picked up at bargain prices. Kind of project players. Usually it seems with Klopp that preseason is enough time for him to get players up to speed and integrated.

Mascot88

Admin
It's a myth that all Klopps signings take adaptation time. Most really do come straight in and play straight away. One or two, like Keita and Karius, have then been dropped and given more time to adjust (as you say injuries feature highly in those cases too). Actually very few of Klopps signings are kept away from the match day squads for awhile till they've adapted. Only really CMs and players from lesser (relegated) teams who were picked up at bargain prices. Kind of project players. Usually it seems with Klopp that preseason is enough time for him to get players up to speed and integrated.
It depends on the player. Who will need adaptation time is something we can’t predict, even if we really, really, really want the player to sign.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It depends on the player. Who will need adaptation time is something we can’t predict, even if we really, really, really want the player to sign.
Misrepresenting what I'm saying. There is a myth that Klopps signings take awhile to settle in and be used by him. It doesn't stand up to the evidence. Most of Klopps signings have actually contributed from day one. Of the big signings only Fabinho and Ox weren't brought straight into match day squads straight away. The argument therefore, purely based on evidence of past signings not opinion, is that Klopp will do most adaptation, with vast majority of signings, during preseason. There is a chance that players purchased to play in his CM positions in particular may be judged to need more time. Klopp is also more than prepared to take new signings out of the spotlight if they do start struggling with the physical demands and injuries like with Keita and Karius. Regardless of who I do or do not want us to sign (and not got anything particularly against the 4 I listed) those playing in attack are much more likely to be used from the off by Klopp than the one who could be getting seen as a CM option. But that's only a guess/opinion based on past evidence and my guesses as to how Klopp would look to use those players if he purchases any of them.

Mascot88

Admin
Misrepresenting what I'm saying. There is a myth that Klopps signings take awhile to settle in and be used by him. It doesn't stand up to the evidence. Most of Klopps signings have actually contributed from day one. Of the big signings only Fabinho and Ox weren't brought straight into match day squads straight away. The argument therefore, purely based on evidence of past signings not opinion, is that Klopp will do most adaptation, with vast majority of signings, during preseason. There is a chance that players purchased to play in his CM positions in particular may be judged to need more time. Klopp is also more than prepared to take new signings out of the spotlight if they do start struggling with the physical demands and injuries like with Keita and Karius. Regardless of who I do or do not want us to sign (and not got anything particularly against the 4 I listed) those playing in attack are much more likely to be used from the off by Klopp than the one who could be getting seen as a CM option. But that's only a guess/opinion based on past evidence and my guesses as to how Klopp would look to use those players if he purchases any of them.
You’re strawmanning.

I can’t think of a single player that Klopp has buried from the off, without a single game under their belt.

Fabinho, Robbo, Keita, Minamino, Ox, and Shaqiri all had (or are having) adjustment periods.

Gini, Mane, Salah, Matip, Van Dijk all pretty much played from the off and settled straightaway.

(I’m not including the keepers in this, as I think it’s apples/oranges. )

So I don’t think the adjustment period that we’ve seen a few players undergo is quite the rarity you say it is.

The point is that Klopp has exacting demands. Some players get it straightaway and some don’t. You don’t know who’ll need to bed in and who will be ready from the off.

Zinedine Biscan

Rather than having one set policy or another, I think Klopp's method is mainly to give players a couple of games early doors to see what they're about. And if they get it at once great, if they need more time to get fully up to speed then they're given it.

I don't think there's any more to it than that.

Maria

FIFA Club Champions of The World
Ad-free Member
I know Didi Hamann is one if the heroes of Istanbul Champions league, but lately I find him too tw*tty and big moaning pain in the a*se. I can't remember whether he has ever said a good word about our manager. All he does is pick holes out of the team and Klopp's tactics.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

I agree with your overall points but i'm not sure about this one. Keita's first game for us i think was impressive. But then wasnt he moved to the left for a few games to cover for the loss of Mane and that is when he struggled? Before picking up again in the second half of the season starting against Bournemouth, until his injury against Barca?

The clubs analysis of Keita a year earlier was that he wasnt ready for a starting place and so he went to Red Bull. I dont know how much of their thinking behind the analysis had changed, or just whether they were in a position to offer him more (in CL football terms as well as playing time and not just cash) while they brought him on incrementally.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I know Didi Hamann is one if the heroes of Istanbul Champions league, but lately I find him too tw*tty and big moaning pain in the a*se. I can't remember whether he has ever said a good word about our manager. All he does is pick holes out of the team and Klopp's tactics.

He isnt being twatty. What he says makes perfect sense and is what is being already debated in this thread -

It is of course an honour for him to be linked with Liverpool. The question is: does he match Liverpool? For me he is strongest when he comes through the middle and can use his greatest weapon: his speed.

"With (Roberto) Firmino, Liverpool have a striker who is always playable and connects a lot with his team-mates. If Werner went to Liverpool, I would rather see him outside, but there are two absolute grenades in the team with (Sadio) Mane and (Mohamed) Salah.