Timo Werner (CF) RB Leipzig

Anfield rd Dreamer

I know this is the wrong thread, but I feel like Origi will follow the path of Luis Alberto and Suso. Will kick on somewhere else and have a decently successful career once he settles in somewhere.

Origi only got one season at Anfield and was going well until that cnut Funes Mori near broke his ankle. hasn't been the same player since
2 full seasons. Over 70 appearances under Klopp. Will trust his judgement.

Anfield rd Dreamer

I don't think Sammy was questioning it klopps judgement, after all despite Alberta's improvement no one is calling for him back
It was more the "only got one season" statement. I like Origi and at one point he looked like he could develop into a really useful player to us backing up Firmino, sometimes playing more due to form. But struggle to see why everyone has this opinion Origi is some exciting talent ready to explode. There seems a lot of faith in him for some reason. During his career he was looking like a promising, but not spectacular, young player in France. We snapped him up by taking a punt on him and he then impressed at the world cup. He then stunk the place out in France before he then had a disappointing first 6 months with us. He then had a real promising 6 months with Klopp before picking up an injury that halted that seeming progression. He's had over 18 months stinking the place out again since. There's a lot of faith for a lad who has one good competition and one good six month period under his belt over a 5 year period. Even when he's been good he's not been exceptional just good and really REALLY promising for a younger player.

It was more the "only got one season" statement. I like Origi and at one point he looked like he could develop into a really useful player to us backing up Firmino, sometimes playing more due to form. But struggle to see why everyone has this opinion Origi is some exciting talent ready to explode. There seems a lot of faith in him for some reason. During his career he was looking like a promising, but not spectacular, young player in France. We snapped him up by taking a punt on him and he then impressed at the world cup. He then stunk the place out in France before he then had a disappointing first 6 months with us. He then had a real promising 6 months with Klopp before picking up an injury that halted that seeming progression. He's had over 18 months stinking the place out again since. There's a lot of faith for a lad who has one good competition and one good six month period under his belt over a 5 year period. Even when he's been good he's not been exceptional just good and really REALLY promising for a younger player.
Origi did look promising and he does have some skill, but as you say he hasn't really done it consistently enough to merit him staying at Anfield. If we could get a decent amount of money for him then we should let him go.

Origi is being groomed for the shop window, in my opinion. Just hasn't kicked on and fulfilled his early potential. With Keita coming into the squad this summer, it's only natural that we're sizing up Werner as well. I'm no expert on Bundesliga, so I'll trust the experts on this one, but he looks like a big talent who offers something different than we currently have, being a more out-and-out striker. As valuable as Bobby Dazzler is to our squad, we're riding our luck by not having rotation options for his position. We don't have to have a like-for-like swap, and in fact, it makes more sense not to have that, as it would make us more unpredictable and dangerous. Horses for courses, as they say.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
I will abandon the Origi convo on this note:

Anyone who has played understands what it actually means to be "on form". As players you have a level you can operate at consistently, but when you get a solid run of games your level of play can kick on to a higher level. The more you play, the more time you can performing at that level and it can become your new consistent level. As much of what football can come naturally, just as much can come from experience and repetition.

Origi is a very intelligent footballer learning the trade. May not be so much a natural talent as he is a developing one, but we saw a glimpse of his capabilities from that run he had at the end of our Europa run.

I still think he has that capability in him...but it's definitely not my call to make. No matter what happens I wish him the best

LFCFFC

That ankle breaker of a challenge from Mori had a more profound effect on Origi than I think we sometimes give credit for. After all of his struggles in France, being put into Ligue 1's worst XI for the 14/15 season, he finally found some form and made a genuine case to be a starter. Irrespective of the result, missing out on the EL final would've been gutting. Absolute shite act from an absolutely shite footballer in an absolute shite team.

On topic - I can see the value in going after Werner, but I'd think a proper RW/LW as back up to Salah and Mane is a more critical area of need. Plus RBL will no doubt put a "Keita tax" on us. As a rotation to Firmino though, he'd be first class.

vjcpatriot

I feel Werner would be a great upgrade. He has a ton of pace and good finishing ability. If we want to win the league next year we need two top class options at striker. Firmino and Werner would be a top 1-2 scoring punch. With Salah and Mane flanking, you'd be hard pressed to find a more dangerous 'Fab 4' in Europe.

Werner's scoring is down a notch, so he is someone you could reasonably buy now and hope he flourishes under Klopp's system.

Dybala is probably more of a sure bet, but he would probably cost twice as much, 90m+ vs 50m for Werner.

Jayus20

I feel Werner would be a great upgrade. He has a ton of pace and good finishing ability. If we want to win the league next year we need two top class options at striker. Firmino and Werner would be a top 1-2 scoring punch. With Salah and Mane flanking, you'd be hard pressed to find a more dangerous 'Fab 4' in Europe.

Werner's scoring is down a notch, so he is someone you could reasonably buy now and hope he flourishes under Klopp's system.

Dybala is probably more of a sure bet, but he would probably cost twice as much, 90m+ vs 50m for Werner.
I don't see us getting either for those respective prices. It's well known RB Leipzig are hard to negotiate with and I don't see him coming any cheaper than Keita myself. Dybala was touted to be £140m last summer, I'd expect similar again from Juventus and they'd be mad not to ask that after what we got for Coutinho. Dybala is an unbelievable player, better than the likes of Sanchez and Hazard in my opinion so I really can't see him going for much less than Coutinho myself.

MW2833

I doubt Werner will want to come to Liverpool, just to sit on the subs bench. One solution could be to move Firmino into a deeper role and then Werner to play striker, but with Firmino flourishing in that position, it is just not necessary. I would rather we sign someone like Dybala or Isco when can also add creativity to our team.

vjcpatriot

Dybala is my preferred acquisition if we have to choose between the two, because I could see Dybala also playing ST/CAM/etc.

But if we don't get him, I like Werner as a ST/winger. He would be a clear upgrade to our pool of striker talent.

I doubt Werner will want to come to Liverpool, just to sit on the subs bench. One solution could be to move Firmino into a deeper role and then Werner to play striker, but with Firmino flourishing in that position, it is just not necessary. I would rather we sign someone like Dybala or Isco when can also add creativity to our team.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Dybala is my preferred acquisition if we have to choose between the two, because I could see Dybala also playing ST/CAM/etc.

But if we don't get him, I like Werner as a ST/winger. He would be a clear upgrade to our pool of striker talent.
You sure he's better than Firmino?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
He said that it would be an upgrade on our striker POOL and I agree. He would be an upgrade on Danny Ings.
Yeah, of course it would be an upgrade to both Solanke and Ings. But that sort of price he better be and should expect to be on par if not better than our starters. He's going to come at a cost of £90m or something like that.... He won't be starting on the bench with that money spent.

vjcpatriot

Yeah, of course it would be an upgrade to both Solanke and Ings. But that sort of price he better be and should expect to be on par if not better than our starters. He's going to come at a cost of £90m or something like that.... He won't be starting on the bench with that money spent.
With Werner's pace and versatility he could also play out wide on the wing. So I could see him getting reps at striker as well as spelling Mane or Salah on occassion as well. He could easily get 30+ starting appearances as our #2 striker and first choice rotation winger. Considering Klopp's 'positionless' fowards system, Werner would help bolster a Fab 4 that could be kept fresh for the long campaign necessary to challenge for the title. And I'm pretty sure Firmino could be dropped back to CAM as well at times depending on the team's needs for that match.

20ATHLONE

Werner would be an excellent signing but I think with his contract running through 2020 he staying put for at least another year.

Unless RB change their stance on transfers and their best players, I don’t see him moving on. This of course could change if he tells them he’s not agreeing an extension and they decide to cash-in

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Not happening, imo. Klopp won't waste a lot of money on a rotation player and he won't move Firmino to 10 because it would disrupt Salah-Firmino link.

I expect another striker in case Ings or Solanke is sold/loan, but a £20~40m rotation striker. Azmoun, Richarlison or something like that. Werner is not someone who would be happy as a backup player. That's why it's so difficult to upgrade our striker options. Matured and good/world class players won't come because they know they would sit and Firmino would always be a starter.

I have the same opinion about our wings. Any winger we buy will be a cheap one (£20~50m) and with a lot of potential + comfortable as a backup player.

GermanRed

Will be interesting to see if he is really happy to stay for another season (as he stated a few weeks ago) now that RB Leipzig are set to miss out on CL.

Leipzig put all contract discussions on hold after the dissapointing last few weeks. Werner has 2 years left on his current contract but i don't think he wants to extend anyway.

Timo Werner is comfortable to play also on both wings as he did regularly during the last few season.

If he stays another season at RBL i think he will leave for Bayern "on the cheap" (final year of his contract).

If he manages a way out of Leipzig they won't let him go for under €85m

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
It could be interesting if Leipzig miss out in terms of price, but still not convinced Klopp would spend that much on a player who probably wouldn't be seen as someone to start, but be more of a backup. He will also probably be one of the candidates for Bayern's new striker if Lewandowski leaves (could happen). Werner is an interesting hard working player with very direct movement, durability and determination to be involved in everything high up the pitch, be it as a striker or more of a wide forward (he's not a winger who can stretch and attack like Sane). Can be frustrating technically and in terms of decisions, got on my nerves a few times when I watched him against Spain (counter attack, slightly out wide, but he puts his head down and tries to dribble a player who is not even close to him...), but as a package of course he's interesting for these teams that need to fight against the bigger boys.

Red over the water

Werner would be a great signing. He can play through the middle but is also fast enough, and versatile enough, to cover out wide. If we signed him - and I very much doubt Leipzig would allow it, after losing Keita - I wouldn’t see him as a back up. It would be four players into three positions, plenty of games for everyone, and Klopp could shuffle the pack and keep everyone fresh and firing to take us that step further to a title challenge.

We need more for the front three, as the drop off in level is too great when one isn’t playing. Werner fits the bill, but again, I doubt Leipzig would sell, and if he plays in a very good German side at the World Cup, and does well, which is not hard to imagine, Leipzig will see the price go up and up and the group of possible suitors will grow.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Well, RB Leipzig seem to be trying to tap-up Brewster, to where there are reports that Liverpool might consider reporting them.

Wonder if down the line, if we do have interest in Werner, there might be a bit of “we won’t report you for illegal contacts w/ Brewster, or will sign and loan him to you, if you allow us to negotiate/buy Werner”

GermanRed

Well, RB Leipzig seem to be trying to tap-up Brewster, to where there are reports that Liverpool might consider reporting them.

Wonder if down the line, if we do have interest in Werner, there might be a bit of “we won’t report you for illegal contacts w/ Brewster, or will sign and loan him to you, if you allow us to negotiate/buy Werner”
Hollywood materiallol

Rybo_11

I was at the game Saturday for the Hertha Berlin vs Leipzig goal fest. Werner did get his goal but to be honest I was more impressed with Jean-Kevin Augustin. Maybe it was fatigue in the legs or trying to coast before the world cup but I thought his link up play with Lookman, Augustin and Keita wasn't too great.