• A giant can of Red Bull, cos he's not coming

Votes: 40 45.5%
  • "Brazilian shit from beaches"

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Limiescouse

He certainly didn't expect to go into the first team. They were honest, played him in the Spanish third division until he became too good for that (he was incredibly young when he went to Real Madrid, and no one talked about him going into their first team, they only talked about development
The promised him he would train with the first team, but play with Castilla, which is what happened. That was 5 years ago though, and after having made the Eredivise team of the season and looking the best U21 player in La Liga, the requirements for his next move, should he not resign with Real, will be very different.

POOL4EVER

TIA Youth Team
werners movement and positioning very good - always looking to get into the box, goal sniffer

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
He’s fast, direct and has a good shot on him.... but his decision making needs a bit of work, to say the last.

POOL4EVER

TIA Youth Team
hes just turned 24 with 20 plus goals (incl CL) in 3 of the last 4 seasons albeit in the german league but I think he would offer more than Origi

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
I must be missing something. One of the least impressive Leipzig players on show as usual.
No problem, he can come and be one of our last impressive players all the time if he scores that amount of goals.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Maybe he'll end up going to a club lower down on his wish list.
Barcelona have made RB Leipzig and Germany striker Timo Werner, 24, their number two target this summer behind Inter Milan and Argentina striker Lautaro Martinez, 22. (Mundo Deportivo - in Spanish)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Why do I get vibes of "German Darren Bent" on this one? Is that harsh to Werner? Harsh to Bent? Harsh to both? I just feel like we only need to sign 1 attacking player, possibly 2 at the VERY most. As such we should be signing the very very best player available to us. I've just not been convinced he is it.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Why do I get vibes of "German Darren Bent" on this one? Is that harsh to Werner? Harsh to Bent? Harsh to both? I just feel like we only need to sign 1 attacking player, possibly 2 at the VERY most. As such we should be signing the very very best player available to us. I've just not been convinced he is it.
Definitely harsh to Werner ha.

Klopp will take Werner to the next level. If it was between Werner and Mbappe it would obviously be Mbappe but if we're realistic, Mbappe wont happen and we need to just get it out of our heads lol.
Werner really does have the potential to be special under the right guidance, hes pretty special now.

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
Play devil's advocate, there were similar concerns from some quarters when Torres signed.
Having watched a bit of the match last night his decision making needs a bit of work. From what I say he looked good but I didn't see enough to have an opinion either way yet.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Play devil's advocate, there were similar concerns from some quarters when Torres signed.
Having watched a bit of the match last night his decision making needs a bit of work. From what I say he looked good but I didn't see enough to have an opinion either way yet.
I think a few people are judging him after seeing him for a very small sample size. The guy is class and will fit us like a glove all along the front line. There will be a Torres v Chelsea moment when he comes here where everyone will just say "wow, this guy is the real deal"

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think a few people are judging him after seeing him for a very small sample size. The guy is class and will fit us like a glove all along the front line. There will be a Torres v Chelsea moment when he comes here where everyone will just say "wow, this guy is the real deal"
Do we play like we need a Torres type striker? I don't think we do.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Definitely harsh to Werner ha.

Klopp will take Werner to the next level. If it was between Werner and Mbappe it would obviously be Mbappe but if we're realistic, Mbappe wont happen and we need to just get it out of our heads lol.
Werner really does have the potential to be special under the right guidance, hes pretty special now.
Bent had some spectacular scoring rates. I'm by no means any sort of expert on Werner or German football but most of what I'm seeing is he could be good because he can run fast and score lots of goals so may be a good fit for our wide forward roles (if he adapts to slightly different role, adapts into our team/league and develops under Klopp all whilst keeping up his goal scoring). But so much can go wrong with this purchase and it likely takes up a spot in the squad that we then can't purchase a better/better fitting player for. The main draw to him really does seem to be this clause which makes him a cheaper player than he should be.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Bent had some spectacular scoring rates. I'm by no means any sort of expert on Werner or German football but most of what I'm seeing is he could be good because he can run fast and score lots of goals so may be a good fit for our wide forward roles (if he adapts to slightly different role, adapts into our team/league and develops under Klopp all whilst keeping up his goal scoring). But so much can go wrong with this purchase and it likely takes up a spot in the squad that we then can't purchase a better/better fitting player for. The main draw to him really does seem to be this clause which makes him a cheaper player than he should be.
Hes a miles better player than Bent mate. Just a better footballer by far. Who would you suggest instead of him?

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
Do we play like we need a Torres type striker? I don't think we do.
Definitely not these days, but Torres evolved here to the player that was the most feared striker in Europe, he certainly didn't arrive that way. Who's to say that if Klopp signs Werner that he can't do something similar and help him evolve to the player he wants?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Definitely not these days, but Torres evolved here to the player that was the most feared striker in Europe, he certainly didn't arrive that way. Who's to say that if Klopp signs Werner that he can't do something similar and help him evolve to the player he wants?
Torres was one of the best "on the shoulder" strikers I've ever seen, his suited a style which revolved around long/direct balls by Gerrard/Alonso. He was utterly devastating on the counter. He did evolve his footwork, but his game was based on power and pace.

I'm sure Werner would be similar.

I've mentioned this before though, our main goal scoring threats come from Salah/Mane i.e. our wide forwards. Our actual no.9 plays like a no.10 i.e. dropping deep, linking play and being the creative output - He plays with his back to goal a lot. It's Salah/Mane who break the line to move central, taking up the space left by Firmino dropping and taking a defender with him etc.

Mane/Salah are incredible in the fact they score goals but they can play inside tight spaces, they can dribble, they can play neat 1 touch passing.

So much of our game now is against 2 deep lines of defenders/midfielders - Space is a premium, our best transition play is from corners we conceed!

Werner plays very direct, on transition, I've seen little of him opening up a packed penalty box. Could he evolve to do this? Possible, but when you see Havertz or Sancho and how technically excellent they are, I think thats the type of player I'd prefer.

Cologne-Liverpool

On the other hand I got the impression that most of the regular Bundesliga viewer aren't that particularly excited about Werner either (not just me), so it might not just be the small sample size.
Regardless of that, we could all be wrong of course - if he signs and is a massive hit, admitting one was wrong would be a small price to pay

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Hes a miles better player than Bent mate. Just a better footballer by far. Who would you suggest instead of him?
Just from what I'm seeing hes more Origi, a CF versatile enough to play wide forward but not a wide forward in the manner of Mane and Salah. The problem with Origi is how ill a fit he is so we have to adjust our formation to play him at CF in 4231 (and Salah is a better option at that role than either) or adjust our tactics so we expect less from the player (Origi/Werner) who is on the wide position so they can be more focused on a striker role.

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
Torres was one of the best "on the shoulder" strikers I've ever seen, his suited a style which revolved around long/direct balls by Gerrard/Alonso. He was utterly devastating on the counter. He did evolve his footwork, but his game was based on power and pace.

I've mentioned this before though, our main goal scoring threats come from Salah/Mane i.e. our wide forwards. Our actual no.9 plays like a no.10 i.e. dropping deep, linking play and being the creative output - He plays with his back to goal a lot. It's Salah/Mane who break the line to move central, taking up the space left by Firmino dropping and taking a defender with him etc.

Mane/Salah are incredible in the fact they score goals but they can play inside tight spaces, they can dribble, they can play neat 1 touch passing.

So much of our game now is against 2 deep lines of defenders/midfielders - Space is a premium, our best transition play is from corners we conceed!

Werner plays very direct, on transition, I've seen little of him opening up a packed penalty box. Could he evolve to do this? Possible, but when you see Havertz or Sancho and how technically excellent they are, I think thats the type of player I'd prefer.
No arguments on that but I've mentioned elsewhere that a good player who's willing, can be coached into a different role / tactics than what they are accustomed with. Could Werner do that? He would be cheaper than the other two you mentioned, maybe that's part of the appeal and that the coaching staff believe they can help improve his game to suit the team.

Like others though, all his talk about moving is a little unnecessary and now he's widened the discussion to mention the two Manchester clubs.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
No arguments on that but I've mentioned elsewhere that a good player who's willing, can be coached into a different role / tactics than what they are accustomed with. Could Werner do that? He would be cheaper than the other two you mentioned, maybe that's part of the appeal and that the coaching staff believe they can help improve his game to suit the team.

Like others though, all his talk about moving is a little unnecessary and now he's widened the discussion to mention the two Manchester clubs.
The price really shouldn't be an issue for me. We have plenty of money judging from the accounts and how few options we have. We need to be buying the best player possible. Not go for an imperfect choice and try to develop him into the perfect choice just because he was cheaper.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team

The torres goal v chelsea was the point we all realised he was the real deal and was the reason i mentioned it, it had nothing to do with the style of goal or anything.
I think everyone on here knows how we play its not a secret.
There is room for tweaks and different tactics though.
Werner can play across the front 3 for us I have no doubt about that. Will he bring something different if he plays in the middle than bobby? Yes of course. Salah gets put in the middle all the time, he also play different to bobby. Will he perfectly slot in on the wings instead of mane and salah? Yes.
He presses well, dribbles with the ball, can score from anywhere and his link up play is good. We really cant hope for much of a better fit from a player before hes even stepped foot in liverpool tbh.
I'm sure werner will happen, the signs are there so we will have to see if klopp has a plan for him or hes just taking a chance because hes cheap. The way klopp and the team do things these days I'd go for the former option.

Red over the water

Werner is a good player who will improve further here. He is a reliable goal scorer and has good pace. His movement will improve as he works with us.

For me, signing Werner is all about whatever else happens.

So, if we keep everyone else, and in particular I’m thinking main front three, then Werner adds vital depth and competition to that area, especially as we think about AFCON. However, if one of the current front three is off, Werner is not enough, and we need to be shopping as high up as possible.

At that point there are three excellent players who are all better than Werner, leaving aside the slight positional variances - Mbappe, Sancho, Havertz.

If someone is leaving, I‘d like to see us sign two of the four. If no one is leaving, one of the four for added depth and competition will suffice, and at that point, Werner, while being a good player, is the fourth best in the list.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
The price really shouldn't be an issue for me. We have plenty of money judging from the accounts and how few options we have. We need to be buying the best player possible. Not go for an imperfect choice and try to develop him into the perfect choice just because he was cheaper.
I agree the price shouldn't be a deciding factor, and I don't think it will be either. We've seen the club don't mind paying big for the right player.

But it could actually be that Werner is the best player we can get for what we have to offer. We could argue Sancho is better than Werner, but we also don't know what the recruitment team is looking for. Maybe we should ask ourselves why the club like Werner and seem to seriously consider moving for him. If they have decided he's the forward they want, it's probably because he's the one who best fits their criteria.

Wage demands, expected role in the team, personality; there are several things in addition to the footballing profile of the player that adds up to who the best possible player is. Erling Haaland was probably a player Liverpool had interest in, but there was no chance of signing him because we couldn't have matched what Dortmund had to offer in terms of a starting place in the team. And it's not difficult to imagine this being a hindrance for other players as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.