• Ralf Rangnick's animosity

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • A giant can of Red Bull, cos he's not coming

Votes: 33 44.6%
  • "Brazilian shit from beaches"

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters

Red over the water

Werner is a good player who will improve further here. He is a reliable goal scorer and has good pace. His movement will improve as he works with us.

For me, signing Werner is all about whatever else happens.

So, if we keep everyone else, and in particular I’m thinking main front three, then Werner adds vital depth and competition to that area, especially as we think about AFCON. However, if one of the current front three is off, Werner is not enough, and we need to be shopping as high up as possible.

At that point there are three excellent players who are all better than Werner, leaving aside the slight positional variances - Mbappe, Sancho, Havertz.

If someone is leaving, I‘d like to see us sign two of the four. If no one is leaving, one of the four for added depth and competition will suffice, and at that point, Werner, while being a good player, is the fourth best in the list.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
The price really shouldn't be an issue for me. We have plenty of money judging from the accounts and how few options we have. We need to be buying the best player possible. Not go for an imperfect choice and try to develop him into the perfect choice just because he was cheaper.
I agree the price shouldn't be a deciding factor, and I don't think it will be either. We've seen the club don't mind paying big for the right player.

But it could actually be that Werner is the best player we can get for what we have to offer. We could argue Sancho is better than Werner, but we also don't know what the recruitment team is looking for. Maybe we should ask ourselves why the club like Werner and seem to seriously consider moving for him. If they have decided he's the forward they want, it's probably because he's the one who best fits their criteria.

Wage demands, expected role in the team, personality; there are several things in addition to the footballing profile of the player that adds up to who the best possible player is. Erling Haaland was probably a player Liverpool had interest in, but there was no chance of signing him because we couldn't have matched what Dortmund had to offer in terms of a starting place in the team. And it's not difficult to imagine this being a hindrance for other players as well.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I agree the price shouldn't be a deciding factor, and I don't think it will be either. We've seen the club don't mind paying big for the right player.

But it could actually be that Werner is the best player we can get for what we have to offer. We could argue Sancho is better than Werner, but we also don't know what the recruitment team is looking for. Maybe we should ask ourselves why the club like Werner and seem to seriously consider moving for him. If they have decided he's the forward they want, it's probably because he's the one who best fits their criteria.

Wage demands, expected role in the team, personality; there are several things in addition to the footballing profile of the player that adds up to who the best possible player is. Erling Haaland was probably a player Liverpool had interest in, but there was no chance of signing him because we couldn't have matched what Dortmund had to offer in terms of a starting place in the team. And it's not difficult to imagine this being a hindrance for other players as well.
I think if we were as keen on Werner as you make out in your post the whole thing would be done by now. I think he is one of many players we keep under review because he has some interesting qualities and he could become what we need at some point. The only difference is, because he is moving/got this clause, he is being uncharacteristically vocal for one of our targets and we've not declared no interest in him so the papers are writing story after story to generate sales and website hits. Probably just as interested in dozens of other players.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
One interesting thing to consider with Werner is his numbers when playing alongside Poulssen as opposed to playing with Schick.

Schick is a more talented player, better goalscorer and Poulssen is similar to Heskey I guess making it a similar partnership to that Heskey/Owen one.

Werner seems to have stopped contributing as much since Schick has come into the side whereas he was undoubtedly the main man with Poulssen and thrived off his work rate and presence. At the moment he is playing a bit wider or deeper at times rather than always on the last defender as he likes to be.

He certainly wouldn't be the main man here and wouldn't have others doing his work for him. It's something to consider when claiming he'll easily just replace Mane and Salah.

redaderry

I haven't seen much of Werner bar the odd CL match. He certainly looks like a good player but he doesn't look like the finished article by any means and the hype would seem to be just that.
Many other players have come to the EPL with high expectations/hype and it didn't quite click, Kieta one very relevant example RBL > LFC

LFCFFC

He definitely brings something to the table. As much as it pains me to say, he's an upgrade on the great man Big Div.

In saying that, the more I see, the more I agree with the concerns being raised in this thread in regards to his ability to adequately cover the front 3 and his technical ability against a low block.

Maybe we've become so accustomed to Edwards making quick, silent kills, but the noise around this one seems a bit suspicious as well.

Herb

Why do I get vibes of "German Darren Bent" on this one? Is that harsh to Werner? Harsh to Bent? Harsh to both? I just feel like we only need to sign 1 attacking player, possibly 2 at the VERY most. As such we should be signing the very very best player available to us. I've just not been convinced he is it.
I can agree with this part. I had really hoped we’d be all in for Sancho no matter the cost, to me he just fits our style better and has the potential to develop in any of the front three roles.

I would also say it’s unfair to compare Werner to Bent or Origi. He is a much better player than both.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
I think if we were as keen on Werner as you make out in your post the whole thing would be done by now. I think he is one of many players we keep under review because he has some interesting qualities and he could become what we need at some point. The only difference is, because he is moving/got this clause, he is being uncharacteristically vocal for one of our targets and we've not declared no interest in him so the papers are writing story after story to generate sales and website hits. Probably just as interested in dozens of other players.
I'm not saying I think we're going for him, just to be clear about that. But it's been said he's a player the club like, and I can see a scenario where he's the one they go for.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I can agree with this part. I had really hoped we’d be all in for Sancho no matter the cost, to me he just fits our style better and has the potential to develop in any of the front three roles.

I would also say it’s unfair to compare Werner to Bent or Origi. He is a much better player than both.
Bent was a limited player who scored an obscene amount of goals. When he was in his mid twenties he scored something like 20 odd goals one season for Sunderland (imagine the dregs of chances he was working with). There was always the thought that if a top team stuck him as the focal point of their attack (with him having to do very little else) that he would be able to record exceptional scoring rates. The top teams all seemed to realise they needed more than just that so closest he got was a back up role at Spurs. I'm not saying Werner is as limited or isn't a better player but if he didn't have his scoring rate would anybody be looking at him for his other skills? On Origi I was purely talking playing style. They both can "play wide" but in reality Origi falls a long long way short of replicating what Salah and Mane bring out wide. It's just a way of getting Origi on the pitch whilst causing the least amount of disruption to our set up.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Guess we'll see how he plays if he comes, just seems people are so fixated on mbappe or someone around the 100 mill price mark than werner is seen as a step down. If he comes and does well I hope all the people opposing signing him can admit they were wrong. If he does shit I will hold my hands up. He seems a good fit to me

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Guess we'll see how he plays if he comes, just seems people are so fixated on mbappe or someone around the 100 mill price mark than werner is seen as a step down. If he comes and does well I hope all the people opposing signing him can admit they were wrong. If he does shit I will hold my hands up. He seems a good fit to me
Ignoring price completely, we can bring in one player, any player we want, would he be the one you'd pick?

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Ok we can bring in any player except Mbappe would it still be Werner?
Ok no matter how good our financials are currently you can bet 100% that price will matter with any player we buy.
I don't think anybody is picking him as their absolute no 1 choice over Sancho or Havertz, but he's being written off as some sort of chump by some simply because he's not those 2. Imo he's a super player and would add hugely to our squad.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Ok no matter how good our financials are currently you can bet 100% that price will matter with any player we buy.
I don't think anybody is picking him as their absolute no 1 choice over Sancho or Havertz, but he's being written off as some sort of chump by some simply because he's not those 2. Imo he's a super player and would add hugely to our squad.
Actually last accounts we made 50 odd million profit whilst spending over 100 million net in the market. These next accounts the revenue should be as good or higher but without the huge influx in player acquisitions. These next accounts could well see over 100 million profit again but this time not due to a Coutinho sale. As we probably only need to add maybe one forward, two at most, and could well sell anywhere up to 100 million in fringe and loan players we literally can buy anyone we want, including Mbappe. But taking Mbappe off the table no other player we would want would be much over 100 million if they are even that much. With that financial situation and only adding one or two players we could add any realistically available player. So would we pick Werner? He seems only to be picked because he's cheaper than he should be, is good and could be (COULD be) developed into a great fit for our team. Take out the price consideration and there are other players who seem like they would he a better fit for our team already and may be just as good or better.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Ignoring price completely, we can bring in one player, any player we want, would he be the one you'd pick?
No, but we're not getting mbappe.

Actually last accounts we made 50 odd million profit whilst spending over 100 million net in the market. These next accounts the revenue should be as good or higher but without the huge influx in player acquisitions. These next accounts could well see over 100 million profit again but this time not due to a Coutinho sale. As we probably only need to add maybe one forward, two at most, and could well sell anywhere up to 100 million in fringe and loan players we literally can buy anyone we want, including Mbappe. But taking Mbappe off the table no other player we would want would be much over 100 million if they are even that much. With that financial situation and only adding one or two players we could add any realistically available player. So would we pick Werner? He seems only to be picked because he's cheaper than he should be, is good and could be (COULD be) developed into a great fit for our team. Take out the price consideration and there are other players who seem like they would he a better fit for our team already and may be just as good or better.
I wouldnt really want us to spend 100 mill plus on anyone apart from mbappe tbh. I mentioned I'd love Haverts over anyone before he was ever linked with us and I still wouldnt like to pay around 100 mill for him. The price has to be a factor and I dont think Sancho or Havertz have proved enough to be worth that much. It could cripple us financially if 100 mill plus transfer goes wrong. If I could chose werner plus say sabitzer from dortmund over 1 100 million player Id prefer that. Our way is to get players on the fringe of being world class who can become world class at our club and in our system.
Who would you go for who is realistic and would be a fit for us?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
No, but we're not getting mbappe.

I wouldnt really want us to spend 100 mill plus on anyone apart from mbappe tbh. I mentioned I'd love Haverts over anyone before he was ever linked with us and I still wouldnt like to pay around 100 mill for him. The price has to be a factor and I dont think Sancho or Havertz have proved enough to be worth that much. It could cripple us financially if 100 mill plus transfer goes wrong. If I could chose werner plus say sabitzer from dortmund over 1 100 million player Id prefer that. Our way is to get players on the fringe of being world class who can become world class at our club and in our system.
Who would you go for who is realistic and would be a fit for us?
I don't get this attitude. We are a world class squad now which isn't quite deep enough to be world class over all competitions. Meaning that when we can pick and choose when to use our world class elements we don't do so well at other times. And when we don't get a choice we hiccup in competitions we care about (see us missing Henderson and Alisson as an example). So if we want to establish ourselves as a best in the world contender we need quality throughout.

In most areas of the squad we now have genuine quality in depth but we don't currently have it in attack. To have it in attack isn't going to be cheap as those players of top level quality cost a lot. We don't need potential that may become good, we have that with the likes of Elliott and Jones. We need quality from game one next season to really make a difference and if it doesn't really make that difference why bother changing?

Luckily the business people who run our club have done a fantastic job (obviously helped by on pitch success) of turning us into a top revenue maker. With that combined with so little needs throughout the squad we could spend as much as we need now (within realistic circumstances) to address what few needs we have. Even if that player then flopped (high improbability with our transfer success rate) buying that player wouldn't be stopping us doing anything else. That player flopping or Werner flopping would have the exact same sporting result, a fix (to a problem we are coping with) not working.

Next up I don't think a player we would buy would end up costing 100 million plus (unless it is Mbappe) as, despite sensational prices the selling clubs are asking for, negotiations will see the prices lower than that.

On spending less on multiple players you can only get so many players on the pitch and in the squad. I'll be surprised if we add more than one attacking player but two at the very most. With profits from this year, plus the current year, plus next year and expected player sales then the idea of having 200-300 million to use in the market (should we wish to) isn't too hard to believe.

But we would still only be needing to add one or two attackers so they can be the best. So from just the finances and quality side it could be Sancho and/or Havertz or even Mbappe. I'm not sure why people are being limited or cautious with how much quality or how high a cost their wished for purchases are. If someone believes Werner is who we actually need to meet our needs/wants then fair enough but it seems to be simply because hes the cheapest option only.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
I don't get this attitude. We are a world class squad now which isn't quite deep enough to be world class over all competitions. Meaning that when we can pick and choose when to use our world class elements we don't do so well at other times. And when we don't get a choice we hiccup in competitions we care about (see us missing Henderson and Alisson as an example). So if we want to establish ourselves as a best in the world contender we need quality throughout.

In most areas of the squad we now have genuine quality in depth but we don't currently have it in attack. To have it in attack isn't going to be cheap as those players of top level quality cost a lot. We don't need potential that may become good, we have that with the likes of Elliott and Jones. We need quality from game one next season to really make a difference and if it doesn't really make that difference why bother changing?

Luckily the business people who run our club have done a fantastic job (obviously helped by on pitch success) of turning us into a top revenue maker. With that combined with so little needs throughout the squad we could spend as much as we need now (within realistic circumstances) to address what few needs we have. Even if that player then flopped (high improbability with our transfer success rate) buying that player wouldn't be stopping us doing anything else. That player flopping or Werner flopping would have the exact same sporting result, a fix (to a problem we are coping with) not working.

Next up I don't think a player we would buy would end up costing 100 million plus (unless it is Mbappe) as, despite sensational prices the selling clubs are asking for, negotiations will see the prices lower than that.

On spending less on multiple players you can only get so many players on the pitch and in the squad. I'll be surprised if we add more than one attacking player but two at the very most. With profits from this year, plus the current year, plus next year and expected player sales then the idea of having 200-300 million to use in the market (should we wish to) isn't too hard to believe.

But we would still only be needing to add one or two attackers so they can be the best. So from just the finances and quality side it could be Sancho and/or Havertz or even Mbappe. I'm not sure why people are being limited or cautious with how much quality or how high a cost their wished for purchases are. If someone believes Werner is who we actually need to meet our needs/wants then fair enough but it seems to be simply because hes the cheapest option only.
If we get Werner it wont be because he is a cheaper option, it will be because klopp and the team think he is a good player who can be better with us.
I very much doubt we'll get mbappe, sancho or even havertz at the prices being banded around but I trust the team to find the people we need.
Even without the price tags on havertz and sancho, the club are so scrupulous when signing players they may not make the grade anyway. Sancho plays nothing like our wingers even.
I think you have your head in the clouds a bit. We dont have the pick of any player in the world. To the outsider, we have been back in champions league a couple of years an won our first title in 30, in a league of poor quality. Yes, we are seen as a great team at the moment but we need another few years at this level before we become the dream destination for most players. Mbappe was asked about who he'd go on fifa, he says he doesn't play it but liverpool are a great side an it seems a lot of our fans have taken this to mean he will be coming here. Unless nike does some stuff to get him here it 100% will not be happening and our transfers shouldnt be judged against a once in a generation player like mbappe.

Magnus

I don't think Werner is realising how much of a footballing prostitute he comes across as. Doesn't appear very grounded or intelligent, although he is supposedly very football intelligent.

But the way he is doing this, advertising himself to each and every club, seems tasteless. He seems too desperate. Imo he should concentrate first on trying to win the Bundesliga and less about trying to get sold to each and every good club in England. I mean, I know Leipzig is unpopular with Germans, but he shouldn't do this in this way, he should think slightly more about Leipzig fans and the club. I don't like it, gives me bad vibes about his personality.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
@Magnus agree with most of your post but it’s been reported that his release clause has to be activated in or until April.

Time is running up and he probably wants to have as many options as possible.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Anything he's saying in public his agent will of no doubt advised him to say.
I dont like the way hes flaunting himself around but I think Leipzig are happy to get the money for him, thats how they operate.
If he comes, the recruitment team will have looked into his mentality and all that. Whether he makes the grade with them remains to be seen. Just hope our fans who have an eye on mbappe will give him a chance. People thought we went for the cheaper option with the likes of salah, mane etc but the recruitment team clearly knew what they were doing

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Honigstein latest on a few things (just gonna put it all here as it's the most active thread):

Leipzig: Werner and Upamecano are most likely off. Nailing down the others will be hard but they should have extra money thanks to their CL run and €150m or so from selling those guys...

More on Upamecano: Arsenal definitely wanted him in the summer. Now everyone wants him. Think Bayern might get him.

More on Sancho and Sane: Don't think Sancho will stay. He can leave for the right prize. Sané (to Bayern) will depend on Flick. He's won a bit of power.

I don't have anything new on Werner, I'm afraid. Ball is in Liverpool's court. Flick getting the Bayern job might complicate matters somewhat, if he wants Werner instead of Sane, for example. Havertz and Bayern is becoming increasingly likely. Sancho: he'll be in the PL but I don't know where. Man Utd's chances seem to have risen recently.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
The clause has to be activated before the end of April - means Werners future will be decided before the season will be continued.

Would it be kind of 'reprehensible' If we announce a player during Corona break?

Red over the water

The clause has to be activated before the end of April - means Werners future will be decided before the season will be continued.

Would it be kind of 'reprehensible' If we announce a player during Corona break?
If we are in for him and can wrap the deal up while keeping it quiet, until a more seemly time, we will. But if the breaking news is out of our control, so be it. At that point I would class it as unfortunate, rather than reprehensible. Corona break or not, life goes on.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
I'm holed up at home, thankfully my family is healthy and safe at the moment.

As a diversion, thinking about Werner, he's got a release clause that makes him 'affordable'. He has speed, which is high on Klopp/Edwards radar, and is also something that can't be coached up. He knows how to score goals. I could easily see him be brought in, coached up by Klopp (defensive work, etc.), and used as a winger when Mane/Salah are out of the team or to give a rest etc. Part of the reason we are so devastating on the counter attack is our team speed and Werner fits that mold. I wasn't blown away when we were linked with Salah or Mane, but now they are 'irreplaceable'. It's not hard to imagine Werner coming and doing something similar.

It all comes down to the behind the scenes stuff we don't know about, how hard he works in training, his motivation, how 'coachable' he is. If he checks some of those boxes, it's easy to see why we would be interested in him instead of 100 mil more on Sancho or Mbappe.

Limiescouse

Every other industry that can is continuing to do business. There should be no backlash for doing the deal or making it public, but the celebration of it should certainly wait.