• The railing at Melwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ralf Rangnick's animosity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A giant can of Red Bull, cos he's not coming

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

red arizona scott

I can't see any player coming in in january and making a difference. Anyone above the quality of Shaqiri/Henderson/Keita (rotation players not surefire to be in the best 11) would cost a fortune and would have to adjust to the system and players. I don't think Dybala or Son would even displace any of the front 3 right away, even if affordable. Werner I think could be a good medium/longer term option. Brewster is longer term than that--if he joins now he could help out with cup matches and those with the league in the bag, nothing more. A LONG way to go from big time Liverpool matches no matter what is shown in training--the pressure from here on out will be immense and experience needed.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
I am not sure whether or not the player will join in January or at all.

What I will say is that he IS already a quality player that will score goals for whoever he plays for. If we loan Dominic Solanke out in January and bring in a better player that can put pressure on the front 6 - then lets not just write the player off.

There will be a time within the season that players struggle - replacing them with good players is the right thing to do.

Look at the midfield rotation and you will see what I mean

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Looking at those stats I have say, sign him! We really need that kind of quality to support our first choice front three, especially when it seems that we are willing to either sell or loan Origi and Solanke in this window. As loyal as Sturridge may be, he doesn't really offer the right kind of support and can't be relied upon to be effective as s sub. I'm not saying that Werner can be relied on, but those stats are certainly impressive and he's a player who's peak years area head of him, unlike Sturridge.

GermanRed

No chance Leipzig will sell in january but i'm sure they would sell in the summer if he doesn't sign a new contract.

There is also the possibility that Werner already decided to join Bayern (a long time ago). If not then i would go so far to say that we are favorites for his signature (without knowing if we are interested at all). Things have changed since Goretzka decided to sign for Bayern instead for us. Everybody is starting to realize how far Bayern have fallen off on international level. Bayern might think they are giants when it comes to fees and wages but the truth is they don't want to compete with PL clubs.

Also important - as long as Bayern have Lewandowski (who can only play upfront) Werner would not be able to play as a striker. He could do it at Liverpool with Firmino behind him.

Edit: Werners agent is Karl-Heinz Förster a former footballer. He was Klopps big idol when he grew up. Not sure what to make of it ;-)

GermanRed

'Negatives' about Timo Werner

-

- I often get the feeling that he is not yet ready to play three games in one week. He is still young of course.

- Timo Werner scores enough goals i would say. He works his socks off and gets so many shots on target but he only puts half of them into the back of the net.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Id like to get him in Jan if possible.

Solanke is going out on loan, we want to sell Origi and Klopp still doesn't rate Sturrdige as he isnt even getting 5 mins when 4-0 and 5-1 up

LFCFFC

On paper he's a very good fit and I'd be happy if we signed him, but I would question whether he is adequate cover for Mane at LW. As in, if we lost the former for any extended period of time (touch wood that never happens), would Werner slot in seamlessly? I ask because it's clear that he's more of a CF/ST than a winger. I haven't watched him enough to know for sure, so it's a genuine question to our more avid Bundesliga watchers.

Given that Mo has been playing up front with Bobby tucking in behind and Shaq sitting on the right, we do have reasonable cover for that CF position. Which leads me to think that maybe targeting a genuine winger might be more beneficial for squad balance. Happy to be proven wrong though!

GermanRed

On paper he's a very good fit and I'd be happy if we signed him, but I would question whether he is adequate cover for Mane at LW. As in, if we lost the former for any extended period of time (touch wood that never happens), would Werner slot in seamlessly? I ask because it's clear that he's more of a CF/ST than a winger. I haven't watched him enough to know for sure, so it's a genuine question to our more avid Bundesliga watchers.

Given that Mo has been playing up front with Bobby tucking in behind and Shaq sitting on the right, we do have reasonable cover for that CF position. Which leads me to think that maybe targeting a genuine winger might be more beneficial for squad balance. Happy to be proven wrong though!
He started his career at Stuttgart as a winger. He is still being used as a winger at Leipzig from time to time. At the world cup he admitted that he sometimes struggles against deep defending teams and then prefers the wing.

I would say that he offers the same quality on the Left Wing as he does upfront.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
He's currently a poor mans Vardy IMO, if he could improve to that level it could work. He strikes me as a massive confidence player though and I can't shake off just how awful he was for Germany.

Think there's better out there but if anyone is to get the best from him Klopp is the man to do it. If he's cut-price it might be worth a go.

Five Times

TIA New Signing
Sadio's stats are in the Premier League and many of his goals have been against top drawer opponents ... one to ponder. Not against this signing but part of me wonders if competition might disrupt Sadio's fragile ego giving him the 10 shirt has definitely given him more confidence. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. I'd like to see Harry Wilson as an understudy in that position

LFCFFC

He started his career at Stuttgart as a winger. He is still being used as a winger at Leipzig from time to time. At the world cup he admitted that he sometimes struggles against deep defending teams and then prefers the wing.

I would say that he offers the same quality on the Left Wing as he does upfront.
Hmm...occasionally being used as a winger and having a preference for playing there to snap out of a form slump doesn't fill me with confidence in terms of ensuring our standards don't slip when Mane doesn't play. I can see someone like Sancho (I'm sure BD won't sell him yet, but a player of that ilk) being more useful to us.

As I said, I don't know enough to properly comment though and I appreciate he's a fantastic talent. I'd be fully on board if we do get him, as any signing with JK's tick of approval immediately gets mine.

big noyd

Sadio's stats are in the Premier League and many of his goals have been against top drawer opponents ... one to ponder. Not against this signing but part of me wonders if competition might disrupt Sadio's fragile ego giving him the 10 shirt has definitely given him more confidence. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. I'd like to see Harry Wilson as an understudy in that position
the similarities in the heat maps interested me more than the statistical comparison

as a nominal #9 werner finds himself pulled into the same areas

Cologne-Liverpool

Because he's all about pace and runs into free spaces. Admittedly he's really good at that, but looks pedestrian when the rest of the team is fairly static against deep opposition, as in the case of Germany at the last World Cup (unlike RB Leipzig's style). Shooting technique is ok, but seems a bit limited, everything else is pretty average imo. Couldn't win a header to save his life (I might be exaggerating here..). Seems a bit fragile, both physically and mentally.
That's just my impression of him, won't claim to have watched every single minute he's ever played. I'm sure if Klopp really wants him, he'll know exactly how to get the best out of him - and of course he's still relatively young.
As a side note, I find the strategy of RBL to publicly tell everyone that Werner might not be suited for a bigger club like Bayern or in the PL because of his strengths/playing style somewhat interesting. I mean I get it, they want to persuade him to stay, but by publicly rubbishing his abilities - even if they might be right? Ah well, whatever, that's Red Bull for ya.;-)

Richard88

CAM/#10
Shaqiri
Firmino
Ox?

RW
Salah
Shaqiri
Mané

LW
Mané
Werner

ST
Firmino
Werner
Salah

That's what i would call perfect options in attack. Looks different to what Sturridge/Origi offer.
Werner would essentially be a left-sided version of Salah. That is, on paper playing as a 433 winger (with Firmino central), but on the pitch being the furthest player forward, albeit off to the side rather than straight down the middle.

Imagine it more as a 41212 diamond...

---------- Fabinho --------
-- Wijnaldum ----- Keita--
---------- Firmino ---------
---- Salah ------ Werner --

Mané / Salah / Werner would obviously interchange.

He'd be a really smart player to sign, tactically speaking.

Red over the water

Our best teams always strengthened from a position of strength. We have a fantastic attack, and I would add one more! Werner fits the bill, and what I’ve read about his versatility on the wing if needed convinces me all the more.

Salah, Mane, Firmino, Werner - four main players for three spots, backed up by Sturridge (if he stays) and Brewster (assuming he emerges and kicks on as expected). Shaqiri adds further depth to the attack and midfield - he is probably more of an attacking midfielder.

Solanke has gone and presumably Origi will follow. Replacing them with Werner would be good business.

MW2833

Think we should go all out for him as our attacking signing.
As well as providing cover for the front three, he has an understanding with keita and hopefully that will allow keita to kick-start his career here as well because so far he's been poor.

Mark Thurgood

Sturridge our of contract in the summer and Origi with 18 months. I wanted Timo Werner in the summer even though his World Cup was poor.

Foldy

It’s intersting that we’ve sold Solanke and are about to do the same with Origi, I’ll be really surprised if we don’t make a move for a striker of some sort

Mark Thurgood

It’s intersting that we’ve sold Solanke and are about to do the same with Origi, I’ll be really surprised if we don’t make a move for a striker of some sort
I’m almost certain I read somewhere, It might’ve been on here I saw it. Brewster signed the contract he did on the basis that he will be drafted into the first team when fit again. However I’d go with Werner also on the basis he can play anywhere in the front 3.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
I’m almost certain I read somewhere, It might’ve been on here I saw it. Brewster signed the contract he did on the basis that he will be drafted into the first team when fit again. However I’d go with Werner also on the basis he can play anywhere in the front 3.
Thing is if theres injuries to any of the front 3 would you want Brewster thrown in on a title charge?

Foldy

Thing is if theres injuries to any of the front 3 would you want Brewster thrown in on a title charge?
That's why I would of kept Origi because he can play on the wing. I just can't see us getting rid of cover without replacing them. I guess the next three weeks will tell.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
If Origi and Werner are considered wide options then so is Brewster. I'd trust him more than Origi out wide as his movement out there is much better. He's done that role before at youth level.

And yes, I would trust him in a title charge. Fergie used Macheda despite United having 4 world class attackers ahead of him...

costared

TIA Reserve Team
If Origi and Werner are considered wide options then so is Brewster. I'd trust him more than Origi out wide as his movement out there is much better. He's done that role before at youth level.

And yes, I would trust him in a title charge. Fergie used Macheda despite United having 4 world class attackers ahead of him...

Pure speculation at the moment. Not yet sure when Brewster will be match fit.

GaryBarlow99

If Werner is available and we want him then we should get him this month. Even if it means paying slightly over the odds. Not basing this on the result or performance last night but having that extra firepower is always handy in a title race and Champions League campaign.