Votes: 3 3.7%
  • A giant can of Red Bull, cos he's not coming

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • "Brazilian shit from beaches"

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
With the way things seem, doubt he'd cost us the full 60 right now, we seem to have good relationship with them (at least going by their Twitter account lol).

Nothing moving until they get this mess sorted and figure out when/ how league restarts, but he seems pretty nailed on to be a Liverpool at some point.
Ornstein appears to believe they'd sell Upamecano before Werner if they needed to raise funds. He's not short of suitors either.

I can't see them lowering the price too much for a player who is crucial to them.

rab

Ornstein was the first to be saying we weren't going to be spending much last summer so you'd have to believe he's got some insight into things.

You've got to think, top clubs have the biggest expenditure commitments and with the prospect of reduced TV money, zero gate receipts and possibly no CL football next season, you can see why all clubs will be cautious about any transfer outlays before knowing what 2020/21 will look like.

Alright Now

Watching Leipzig vs Freiburg and I’m still not seeing what the fuss is about. To be fair, I’ve only watched Werner a handful of times with untrained eyes and I’ve somehow probably caught all his anonymous appearances.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Watching Leipzig vs Freiburg and I’m still not seeing what the fuss is about. To be fair, I’ve only watched Werner a handful of times with untrained eyes and I’ve somehow probably caught all his anonymous appearances.
I'm in the same boat mate. Obviously we will have scouts watching him more often. Cant argue with his numbers though.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Spent a lot of time out wide today instead of being central. Had 4 moments in the game where he managed to get in behind and cause an issue, apart from those moments he was really poor on the ball.

Leipzig's switch of formation has affected his numbers dramatically. 2 goals in the last 11 for him now.

Alright Now

Spent a lot of time out wide today instead of being central. Had 4 moments in the game where he managed to get in behind and cause an issue, apart from those moments he was really poor on the ball.

Leipzig's switch of formation has affected his numbers dramatically. 2 goals in the last 11 for him now.
Had a nice defensive play while dropping back to spark a counter. Tried some clever flicks that didn’t come off, but as Mrs Alright Now noted, “Only Bobby can do that.”

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I've been skeptical of Werner as well, but I think his price will be in an affordable range that it's worth taking a shot - especially if Klopp and Edwards like him.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Would be interesting to see what happens if somehow Leipzig failed to secure CL football. Unlikely I think we'll all agree (realistically only Leverkusen can catch them?), they should have enough to remain there, but what could it possibly mean in terms of transfers and especially Werner.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
I don't think we'll see the best of many players for their first few matches currently, we just have to trust in Klopp on this one, if he goes for him, he'll be the right option.
Yea, they wont be up to full speed yet. Werner played alright I thought though. He could of finished the match with a couple of assists after good set ups. Id rate his performance as effective but not spectacular

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
That was actually a better performance than what he was putting in before lockdown, probably helped by Freiburg players being dead on their feet for the last 35 minutes.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
If Leipzig have tabbed Milot Rashica as their ‘replacement’ for Timo Werner they will be net ahead with such an exchange. If I were building a side and had to choose between those 2 players I’m taking Rashica 10/10 times. I won’t continue to belabour the point as I’ve posted on the player enough but I am not at all a fan of Timo Werner. Even a little bit. He’s a passenger and he is the polar opposite of mentality giant.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
If Leipzig have tabbed Milot Rashica as their ‘replacement’ for Timo Werner they will be net ahead with such an exchange. If I were building a side and had to choose between those 2 players I’m taking Rashica 10/10 times. I won’t continue to belabour the point as I’ve posted on the player enough but I am not at all a fan of Timo Werner. Even a little bit. He’s a passenger and he is the polar opposite of mentality giant.
Hes in top 5 for goals and 2nd or something for goal involvements for any player across europe this season. Not a bad passenger

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Hes in top 5 for goals and 2nd or something for goal involvements for any player across europe this season. Not a bad passenger
Surely not, if you’re simply a stat watcher.

EDIT: not picking on you, but i do wonder how much you’ve actually watched Werner play? I’m finding your response is the norm of the new age fan. No one really watches matches anymore. It’s all opinions generated by fantasy sports and statistics.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Surely not, if you’re simply a stat watcher.

EDIT: not picking on you, but i do wonder how much you’ve actually watched Werner play? I’m finding your response is the norm of the new age fan. No one really watches matches anymore. It’s all opinions generated by fantasy sports and statistics.
I'm in my mid 30's and a scouser who goes the game when I can so I'm not exactly "new age", sitting behind a screen, making my judgements from stats.
Ive kept an eye on werner even before we were linked with him and dug out old games on the web since we were heavily linked.
Hes not a player that will always catch the eye but he does the right things even if unspectacular looking. He can play multiple positions and has room to grow. Thats my assessment.
I came a cross the stat a while ago about the goal involvement. If hes among names like Ronaldo and Messi and is bettering them even, then it doesnt point to a passenger.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I'm in my mid 30's and a scouser who goes the game when I can so I'm not exactly "new age", sitting behind a screen, making my judgements from stats.
Ive kept an eye on werner even before we were linked with him and dug out old games on the web since we were heavily linked.
Hes not a player that will always catch the eye but he does the right things even if unspectacular looking. He can play multiple positions and has room to grow. Thats my assessment.
I came a cross the stat a while ago about the goal involvement. If hes among names like Ronaldo and Messi and is bettering them even, then it doesnt point to a passenger.
Again, it’s really nothing personal. There’s been a lot of people simply parroting stat-based opinion about Timo Werner without actually having seen him play and I find that odd. As each day passes there’s a groundswell of (amusing) hyperbole about his physical presence and skill set as well. There is just such a lust for a marquee name signing and I believe that’s playing a part in this.

I don’t think he’s some garden variety plug and I’m by no means saying he “sucks”. I just think he’s incredibly overrated and I believe he would struggle at Liverpool. Simply my opinion. Those same fans clamouring for JK and Edwards to “get it done” are the same impatient fans that will be killing Werner after 5 matches as he struggles to adjust to life in PL. And I feel like I make this disclaimer after every dissenting post I make about him, of course if LFC sign him he has my full love and support. I just think for the money there could be better options out there.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Again, it’s really nothing personal. There’s been a lot of people simply parroting stat-based opinion about Timo Werner without actually having seen him play and I find that odd. As each day passes there’s a groundswell of (amusing) hyperbole about his physical presence and skill set as well. There is just such a lust for a marquee name signing and I believe that’s playing a part in this.

I don’t think he’s some garden variety plug and I’m by no means saying he “sucks”. I just think he’s incredibly overrated and I believe he would struggle at Liverpool. Simply my opinion. Those same fans clamouring for JK and Edwards to “get it done” are the same impatient fans that will be killing Werner after 5 matches as he struggles to adjust to life in PL. And I feel like I make this disclaimer after every dissenting post I make about him, of course if LFC sign him he has my full love and support. I just think for the money there could be better options out there.
The rumours around him coming here have seemed pretty solid for a while now. I think somethings been agreed already. Im worried its the people who are so negative about him who will continue to be after he signs unless he does a salah. We had some of our fans saying mane was the weak link in our front 3 even up until last year and a lot are prob the same people who didnt want us to sign him in the first place. I feel like if its not the sexier signings of sancho or mbappe etc people wont give him a chance. He'll do fine here if he comes. The guys we have making the decisions on players now are fucking amazing, its the pressure from the fans thats not needed on players. There may be better options out there but hes proven himself already over a number of years at a fairly young age. He can grow more and he can play multiple positions effectively. I think we'd be hard pressed to find someone similar tbh. Can you think of any players in particular?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The rumours around him coming here have seemed pretty solid for a while now. I think somethings been agreed already.
Just to pick up on this point the noise has me convinced that nothing is agreed yet. If it had, the way this club operates now, there would be total radio silence. It seems the player (and probably his agent) is very vocal about us, that he is a name we've conceded to connected journos that we have interest in (which is an incredibly early stage of the process and seemingly the only information we give out now). He also seems to fit a blueprint the club hinted they'd be limiting themselves for this summer (with lots of provisions built into the narrative as to why we might break those plans). So a lot like Pearce have admitted they expected Werner simply because of 2+2=4. Nobody from our side seems to have real knowledge that the club are working on the deal. In fact the only noises coming out of our side is that we are quite unlikely to spend much at all in the next transfer window now because of whats going on.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Just to pick up on this point the noise has me convinced that nothing is agreed yet. If it had, the way this club operates now, there would be total radio silence. It seems the player (and probably his agent) is very vocal about us, that he is a name we've conceded to connected journos that we have interest in (which is an incredibly early stage of the process and seemingly the only information we give out now). He also seems to fit a blueprint the club hinted they'd be limiting themselves for this summer (with lots of provisions built into the narrative as to why we might break those plans). So a lot like Pearce have admitted they expected Werner simply because of 2+2=4. Nobody from our side seems to have real knowledge that the club are working on the deal. In fact the only noises coming out of our side is that we are quite unlikely to spend much at all in the next transfer window now because of whats going on.
Seems like most people have made their mind up that they dont want or like the guy on here. Thats fine, as long as if he does come people treat him as one of our players and dont just slag him off because hes not on mbappes level. I knew as soon as Leipzigs match finished thered be people on here saying they were unimpressed etc even though its pretty much a preseason game and in strange atmosphere. He actually played alright but even if hed scored a hat trick thered be some reason why the assisters deserve the credit or it was bad defending. Just the way it is. Ive tried to explain why i personally think he'd fit in, but its not a debate, just "nope thats wrong".
Weve known about pretty much every transfer beforehand and this one has a similar feeling to others weve known about. A few signs have me convinced that we are interested in him, could still go the way of fekir or zielinski though. Just have to see what happens.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Seems like most people have made their mind up that they dont want or like the guy on here. Thats fine, as long as if he does come people treat him as one of our players and dont just slag him off because hes not on mbappes level. I knew as soon as Leipzigs match finished thered be people on here saying they were unimpressed etc even though its pretty much a preseason game and in strange atmosphere. He actually played alright but even if hed scored a hat trick thered be some reason why the assisters deserve the credit or it was bad defending. Just the way it is. Ive tried to explain why i personally think he'd fit in, but its not a debate, just "nope thats wrong".
Weve known about pretty much every transfer beforehand and this one has a similar feeling to others weve known about. A few signs have me convinced that we are interested in him, could still go the way of fekir or zielinski though. Just have to see what happens.
We get linked to 50 odd players every year and most of them theres a lot of chatter. The only player we've been reliably linked with for multiple months before we signed him was Van Dijk. Most come out of the blue and, at most, have only been speculatively linked to us prior to 3/4 days before its completed. Thats how we operate now. So there being this much chatter about Werner doesn't mean we won't sign him but it does mean, to me at least, that the deal isn't done and assured.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Seems like most people have made their mind up that they dont want or like the guy on here. Thats fine, as long as if he does come people treat him as one of our players and dont just slag him off because hes not on mbappes level.

Ive tried to explain why i personally think he'd fit in, but its not a debate, just "nope thats wrong".
To be fair, a few of us have put forwards plenty of footballing reasons why we think Werner isn't as good as the hype suggests. Far from just saying "nah, he's shit, you're wrong". You keep on bringing the Mbappe strawman up. Forget Mbappe, if Werner is going to get a lot of time as a wide forward there are probably 10-15 players in the BL alone that are at a similar level or better than him in those positions.

If his price reduces drastically, not much of an issue. The idea that 60 million euros represents great value is something that I struggle to comprehend for a player who has done all of his good work in a formation and style that is drastically different to ours. Whenever Leipzig have switched to a system that more closely resembles ours he has looked totally unremarkable IMO.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
To be fair, a few of us have put forwards plenty of footballing reasons why we think Werner isn't as good as the hype suggests. Far from just saying "nah, he's shit, you're wrong". You keep on bringing the Mbappe strawman up. Forget Mbappe, if Werner is going to get a lot of time as a wide forward there are probably 10-15 players in the BL alone that are at a similar level or better than him in those positions.

If his price reduces, drastically not much of an issue. The idea that 60 million euros represents great value is something that I struggle to comprehend for a player who has done all of his good work in a formation and style that is drastically different to ours. Whenever Leipzig have switched to a system that more closely resembles ours he has looked totally unremarkable IMO.
Not to mention the €60 million price being considered to be a bargain is based on Pre-Coronavirus Pandemic prices. Nobody can possibly have any idea what that could buy us afterwards.

Red over the water

Just want to say thanks to Neukolln for sharing his view on Werner. It makes for a better discussion if there is a dissenting view in the mix, especially from someone who has seen a fair bit of the player.

Personally, I've seen Werner about half a dozen times and he was fairly peripheral each time I saw him, but he did do some decisive things - I can't remember every last detail, but there were a couple of goals, runs, and he definitely occupied the defenders too.

My take on the whole thing boils down to expectations. If Werner comes in as a fourth choice striker, someone to go ahead of Origi in the pecking order, and give the others a breather, while weighing in as a reliable source of goals, fine. Bring it on. If we think he might come in to challenge the existing from three, or even replace one of them, that's where opinion gets divided, as most would say he's below that level.

Origi replacement? Bring it on.
Replacement for one of the main front three, if any end up leaving? Errr nope! At that point we would need Mbappe, Sancho, Havertz...

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
if Werner is going to get a lot of time as a wide forward there are probably 10-15 players in the BL alone that are at a similar level or better than him in those positions.
I think the fact he can play in different positions effectively is a big part of why we are going for him. No one said anything about a replacement for the front 3. I'm expecting him to plug the gaps when our front 3 are out, at least until one of them goes then we see where we are and how hes developed. I doubt you can name 10-15 BL players who can play up front and on the wings with his output and have also done it over a sustained number of years. Any names?

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
One person I've thought of who I'd prefer over Werner is Sane, if theres a chance of us getting him. Even then though, with Sane only playing left wing (i think) and his injuries the club might still decide werners the better option. Just mentioning this to show I'm not totally biased in favour of Werner, I just think he could become a good player for us and trying to see it from the clubs eyes.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think the fact he can play in different positions effectively is a big part of why we are going for him. No one said anything about a replacement for the front 3. I'm expecting him to plug the gaps when our front 3 are out, at least until one of them goes then we see where we are and how hes developed. I doubt you can name 10-15 BL players who can play up front and on the wings with his output and have also done it over a sustained number of years. Any names?
You're misrepresenting what he said. How would LFC use Werner? He doesn't play like Firmino central in 433, is he as good as Salah as the 1 in 4231? So its likely, if we buy him, that he would be seeing significant game time as a wide forward in 433 competing and rotating with Mane on the left (Mane then covering Firmino as false 9 and covering Salah on the right). As such, purely as a left forward in 433 playing in a style similar to Mane is he a perfect fit? I'm not convinced he is, from what I've seen (limited), read and discussed here and elsewhere it seems to me he can "cover" Mane in the same way Origi does. In that they both play nothing like Mane and it won't be as effective as it would be if we went out and got a proper fit for that role. ILLOK seems to believe that, purely in that role, there are better fits in Germany than Werner. Thats my read on what he has said. How good Werner is as a CF or SS in 2 up top just quite simply doesn't matter to a club that don't play formations that utilise those roles.