• A giant can of Red Bull, cos he's not coming

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • "Brazilian shit from beaches"

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Let's wait and see if we sign him.

If he comes in - this will be a fun place to come if he outscores two of our front 3. Wrote it before - maybe some people are afraid about that.

Not that I like Timo Werner but I think he has the quality to do that.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Let's wait and see if we sign him.

If he comes in - this will be a fun place to come if he outscores two of our front 3. Wrote it before - maybe some people are afraid about that.

Not that I like Timo Werner but I think he has the quality to do that.
Definitely not afraid. But for me if he can adequately cover/be an alternative to Salah and Mane that doesn't change our playing style then thats great even if he doesn't outscore them. My concerns have always been that Origi doesn't fit. Buying a better version of Origi that likely scores more still doesn't fit. It doesn't solve the issue at hand. If he is a better version of Origi in how he would play the wide role I wouldn't want him. If he can play the wider roles in the way we need then I would. But. The price thing is a huge question mark now. Precoronavirus bargains may be post coronavirus rip offs. We need to see whats going on with the market now.

GermanRed

Definitely not afraid. But for me if he can adequately cover/be an alternative to Salah and Mane that doesn't change our playing style then thats great even if he doesn't outscore them. My concerns have always been that Origi doesn't fit. Buying a better version of Origi that likely scores more still doesn't fit. It doesn't solve the issue at hand. If he is a better version of Origi in how he would play the wide role I wouldn't want him. If he can play the wider roles in the way we need then I would. But. The price thing is a huge question mark now. Precoronavirus bargains may be post coronavirus rip offs. We need to see whats going on with the market now.
More likely that he comes in and be a threat to Bobby’s starting place and (easily) outscores him.

Our style of play might look different (needs to be seen) but wouldn’t really matter as long as we win games.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
More likely that he comes in and be a threat to Bobby’s starting place and (easily) outscores him.

Our style of play might look different (needs to be seen) but wouldn’t really matter as long as we win games.
Bobby could score a lot more than he does but the way he plays the role leads to more chance of the team scoring. Team success over individual glory. Whats the point in having your central attacker scoring 15 more goals if it means the team as a whole score 20 less? I've no problem having an alternative way of playing within the squad provided we have adequate capability to play to our main strengths (that comfortably get us through 80+% of our games and see us over the line in 90+% of games) even when players are missing. So first and foremost we need to ensure we can stick to our main game when a player or two are missing. For the false 9 we have Firmino, Minamino and Mane before we have to get creative. At Right Forward we have Salah and Mane and Elliott could come in for a few games here and there. On the left we have Mane and a lot of players that can do a version of the left sided attacking role. That for me is the number 1 need we need to address in this side first and foremost. Its practically the only need we have depending on your opinion at LB and a few arguments over cover players. If that means we have to just cope with what we have when we want/need to switch to something different then thats fine. We have Salah when we want to switch to 4231 and he really is as good as it gets for that, Brewster or Origi would be fine cover in that rarely used/needed role if ever required.

Last edited:

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Bobby could score a lot more than he does but the way he plays the role leads to more chance of the team scoring.
I don’t think anybody here underestimates what Bobby brings to the team, but there is one area of his game which could certainly be improved upon:

Whether or not Werner can do all the things Bobby does, with the added bonus of more clinical finishing, remains open to conjecture.

GermanRed

Bobby could score a lot more than he does but the way he plays the role leads to more chance of the team scoring. Team success over individual glory. Whats the point in having your central attacker scoring 15 more goals if it means the team as a whole score 20 less? I've no problem having an alternative way of playing within the squad provided we have adequate capability to play to our main strengths (that comfortably get us through 80+% of our games and see us over the line in 90+% of games) even when players are missing. So first and foremost we need to ensure we can stick to our main game when a player or two are missing. For the false 9 we have Firmino, Minamino and Mane before we have to get creative. At Right Forward we have Salah and Mane and Elliott could come in for a few games here and there. On the left we have Mane and a lot of players that can do a version of the left sided attacking role. That for me is the number 1 need we need to address in this side first and foremost. Its practically the only need we have depending on your opinion at LB and a few arguments over cover players. If that means we have to just cope with what we have when we want/need to switch to something different then thats fine. We have Salah when we want to switch to 4231 and he really is as good as it gets for that, Brewster or Origi would be fine cover in that rarely used/needed role if ever required.
No offense - but too much theory.
Needs to be seen if the wide attackers score less of we play with a 'unfalse #9'.

I know one thing - Timo Werner won’t come if Klopp doesn’t give him a fair shot at Bobby’s place. Otherwise he would have signed for Bayern for under £30m last year.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Good news Pearce has released an article on the Athletic saying we won't 'gamble' on Werner, and we won't spend any significant money on anyone this summer.

Last edited:

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Good news Pearce has released an article on the Athletic saying we won't 'gamble' on Werner, and we won't spend any significant money on anyone this summer.
I have read it and it is common sense just like that probably 90% of all teams in Europe have the same cash flow problem. Only if the other 10% spend big something will happen but nothing significant I presume. I hope that Minamino can step up.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
You're misrepresenting what he said. How would LFC use Werner? He doesn't play like Firmino central in 433, is he as good as Salah as the 1 in 4231? So its likely, if we buy him, that he would be seeing significant game time as a wide forward in 433 competing and rotating with Mane on the left (Mane then covering Firmino as false 9 and covering Salah on the right). As such, purely as a left forward in 433 playing in a style similar to Mane is he a perfect fit? I'm not convinced he is, from what I've seen (limited), read and discussed here and elsewhere it seems to me he can "cover" Mane in the same way Origi does. In that they both play nothing like Mane and it won't be as effective as it would be if we went out and got a proper fit for that role. ILLOK seems to believe that, purely in that role, there are better fits in Germany than Werner. Thats my read on what he has said. How good Werner is as a CF or SS in 2 up top just quite simply doesn't matter to a club that don't play formations that utilise those roles.
Werners actually quite an unselfish player and with a bit of klopp management, I can see him fitting into the CF role, doing similar to Bobby. I think he can be effective on the wing too, even if different to the way mane plays. I dont think it will be square peg round hole scenario at all and the guys young enough to still learn. I do understand the concerns. Ive explained previously the reasons why I think Werner could fit here. If were looking for a player who can potentially fill in for the front 3 then I think we would be hard pushed to find similar without it going into insane money territory. A similar player who has sustained a high level over a number of years that is, and thats an important caveat for the club.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Great news! A journo said a deadly virus may stop us buying a player. Lets have a fucking party aye ha. If the club want him, whys it good news? Because you dont? lol

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Great news! A journo said a deadly virus may stop us buying a player. Lets have a fucking party aye ha. If the club want him, whys it good news? Because you dont? lol
Because when thousands of people are dying, economies are collapsing and some football clubs may be going out of business it would be morally contentious to spend significant money on players this summer (if there even is one). Then we take into account how our club are coping financially which may mean its a huge financial gamble to push through the deal now. Then we take into account that, with 90% of clubs probably going through significant financial strain, €60 million may end up being stupid money, like Neymar PSG deal equivalent stupid money, when things settle a bit. There might be guys as good available for less than half or even on loan. Or guys that are better available at the same kind of price. Even if a Mbappe deal was available to us this summer I think it might be a mistake to go for it. Werner? I know you like him but I'm just not sure I'm seeing how/why he is so special. He always seemed an opportunity signing because he was undervalued due to a release clause.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
He always seemed an opportunity signing because he was undervalued due to a release clause.
The club would not take a 40-60 million pound punt the way we are run now. If we pay that amount for a player, the club will have a plan for him. I like a lot of players but werner is one who we seem to be interested in and actually fits the what we need from him.

This video is from today and explains how I see werner pretty well. As I have said previously, to me, hes effective even if it doesnt look spectacular, he drops deep if needed and does the right thing. Im not the only person who sees these qualities and they are backed up with stats.

The werner stuff is around 31 mins

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The club would not take a 40-60 million pound punt the way we are run now. If we pay that amount for a player, the club will have a plan for him. I like a lot of players but werner is one who we seem to be interested in and actually fits the what we need from him.

This video is from today and explains how I see werner pretty well. As I have said previously, to me, hes effective even if it doesnt look spectacular, he drops deep if needed and does the right thing. Im not the only person who sees these qualities and they are backed up with stats.

The werner stuff is around 31 mins
The club are smart. If Player A can adequately do a job and is half the price of Player B they'll go for Player A unless its an absolutely essential role. That's regardless of if Player B is twice as good or not Player A is good enough.

All of which ignores we don't know for sure how interested the club really is, all they've ever confirmed is that he is of interest and we are keeping an eye on him (along with lots of players). Everything else is either noise from his camp or people adding things up and assuming we will want him due to the circumstances.

So the "club are interested so he must be what we need" doesn't necessarily hold up. We don't know the club are that interested and if they are he may be just like Shaqiri was. A good, interesting player, who can offer cover at a reasonable level and may still adapt and become something special. It didn't work for Shaqiri but if we do land Werner he may develop and adapt into a perfect player for us. I'm just not yet convinced he is.

But let's put it this way. Without the release clause, at same rumoured price as Havertz and Sancho, I don't think there would be any links or supposed interest. The club let their closely linked journalists understand we would be looking for a Firmino/Mane style profile and similar price range to possibly bring in better cover. Everyone then jumped to the conclusion that it was Werner.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
The club are smart. If Player A can adequately do a job and is half the price of Player B they'll go for Player A unless its an absolutely essential role. That's regardless of if Player B is twice as good or not Player A is good enough.

All of which ignores we don't know for sure how interested the club really is, all they've ever confirmed is that he is of interest and we are keeping an eye on him (along with lots of players). Everything else is either noise from his camp or people adding things up and assuming we will want him due to the circumstances.

So the "club are interested so he must be what we need" doesn't necessarily hold up. We don't know the club are that interested and if they are he may be just like Shaqiri was. A good, interesting player, who can offer cover at a reasonable level and may still adapt and become something special. It didn't work for Shaqiri but if we do land Werner he may develop and adapt into a perfect player for us. I'm just not yet convinced he is.

But let's put it this way. Without the release clause, at same rumoured price as Havertz and Sancho, I don't think there would be any links or supposed interest. The club let their closely linked journalists understand we would be looking for a Firmino/Mane style profile and similar price range to possibly bring in better cover. Everyone then jumped to the conclusion that it was Werner.
12.5 for Shaqiri was great business and was worth the punt because we couldnt really lose in any way. As I said though, I dont think the club would punt 40-60 million.
If he would fit in, contribute and keep us ticking, why do we need to buy a different player for more money, or a less proven player for the same price? I dont get it. The evidence is there to me that he can fit in here, which is the main concern I'm being told. The evidence is there through watching him and the stats that he can do what we need but its just being glazed over by the anti werner brigade lol. I was told 10-15 players could do what werner does in the prem alone yet not one name was presented when asked.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
12.5 for Shaqiri was great business and was worth the punt because we couldnt really lose in any way. As I said though, I dont think the club would punt 40-60 million.
If he would fit in, contribute and keep us ticking, why do we need to buy a different player for more money, or a less proven player for the same price? I dont get it. The evidence is there to me that he can fit in here, which is the main concern I'm being told. The evidence is there through watching him and the stats that he can do what we need but its just being glazed over by the anti werner brigade lol. I was told 10-15 players could do what werner does in the prem alone yet not one name was presented when asked.
In your opinion he fits in. Its your opinion. Then using that opinion as fact you move on. You also use as fact the club are trying to bring him in as corroborating evidence in support of that fact. There are plenty who seem to have the opinion that he would play much the same way as Origi who also "fits in" and is used by the club, even scores some important goals, certainly hasn't harmed us. Werner would, likely be a better goal scorer and improvement on Origi. So there is logic in the move. I just don't see that as being an improvement that really addresses what we actually need to add to the side now. But if the club make the move it does make sense, providing it is still a reasonable fee and the market doesn't crash too much. However if we had a left forward in the mould of Mane or Salah (even if not as good) that player would instantly be more use to us than Origi or an Origi style player who would instantly lose over half of their playing time. I've always said, I haven't been convinced yet, but if Werner can successfully play in a similar way to Salah or Mane then that is great he would be really useful in this side. If he plays more like Origi when wide he would be a useful, improvement over what we have. But it would be a wasted opportunity as we'd likely only be adding one. The way we play with our main tactics comfortably sees us breeze past over 80% of opposition and sees us over tge line against over 90%. We need to recruit to our main tactics so we can keep doing that even when Mane isn't playing or covering one of the other 2 positions. That's my opinion, but it seems Mane isn't at left forward and we play a different type of player who doesn't play the same way, we still usually win but the machine doesn't tick anywhere near as fluidly. If Werner is an Origi upgrade but in the same style of player its improving us for the other options when we do occasionally need something different but still just making do with an imperfect cover option meaning we have to adapt our ultra successful way of playing to something else when Mane isn't at left forward. We should only be adapting through choice or when it is tactically the best option ideally, not when we have to due to players available. Won't always be able to control that as can hit multiple injuries but at the moment we are not just reliant on Mane but reliant on him being available for one specific position.

rab

This chat reminds me of when we were chasing Salah. People couldn't get why we'd be after him when he predominantly played on the right and that's where Mane was playing and what we really needed was someone to play on the left.

That ability to flex our approach to an underlying set of tactics by using different players seems to be desired. Look at how we use different centre mids for different opponents. Perhaps that is where the interest in Wener lies. He's not Mane but we're not looking for Mane 2.0, we're looking for someone that works in our system, potentially in more than one position, that will give us something different but still within our tactical framework.

You don't just find a like for like second Mane, he's one of the best players in the world.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
This chat reminds me of when we were chasing Salah. People couldn't get why we'd be after him when he predominantly played on the right and that's where Mane was playing and what we really needed was someone to play on the left.

That ability to flex our approach to an underlying set of tactics by using different players seems to be desired. Look at how we use different centre mids for different opponents. Perhaps that is where the interest in Wener lies. He's not Mane but we're not looking for Mane 2.0, we're looking for someone that works in our system, potentially in more than one position, that will give us something different but still within our tactical framework.

You don't just find a like for like second Mane, he's one of the best players in the world.
Disagree with your example as what Mane does when he plays right is similar to what Salah does on the right. It actually turned out that Klopp wanted to sometimes use Mane on the left instead of Coutinho as Mane left and Salah right doing similar things works brilliant. There's no problem adding a 4th forward even if we have our 3 "starters" and there is no problem with looking at a player who plays a position where we have one of our strongest starters (like Salah brought for where Mane was playing). What the question is is where do we need that player.

False 9 we have Firmino, Mane, Minamino and there are players under contract who could, in theory, do the role. This should be enough.

CF if and when used we have Salah and currently both Origi and Brewster, for a rarely used position (mostly 4231) that should be enough even if the cover options could be improved.

Right Forward we have Salah, Mane is also great here. We have one of our most promising youth players in Elliott who seems a good option here. Players that can also be used here but offer something different are Shaqiri (his only real position in our 433), Ox, Jones, Minamino and Firmino. Too reliant on Salah and Mane perhaps but that is largely due to how reliant we are on Mane elsewhere on the pitch.

Central Attacking Midfielder (in 4231) we don't often use it but Firmino, Ox, Shaqiri, Minamino, Jones, Mane, Keita... we have loads of options depending on who is needed elsewhere.

Left forward Mane is the one here. Without him we are left with options that play the role a bit different like Ox, Origi, Jones and Minamino. Of the three main forward roles this is where we just don't have the options and depth. One great starting option but he's first alternative for the other two roles too.

This is all just my opinion but I struggle to see how others don't see that as our main weak spot up top. We can already play different formations, when we do its mostly 4231 with Salah up top but we could easily play 442 with Salah and Origi in either a diamond formation or a flat 442 with Shaqiri and Mane playing as traditional wingers.

I just don't see a need to recruit a player from outside the club to offer something different (which we very rarely need in the first place). The only reason to consider purchasing a top attacking player would be someone who can play the left forward role in the way Salah and Mane play the wide forward roles. If that's Werner that's fine just from what a lot are saying it sounds like we would just be getting an upgrade on Origi who plays like Origi but may be better at scoring goals. In my eyes that doesn't address our need.

rab

Left forward Mane is the one here. Without him we are left with options that play the role a bit different like Ox, Origi, Jones and Minamino. Of the three main forward roles this is where we just don't have the options and depth. One great starting option but he's first alternative for the other two roles too.

This is all just my opinion but I struggle to see how others don't see that as our main weak spot up top. We can already play different formations, when we do its mostly 4231 with Salah up top but we could easily play 442 with Salah and Origi in either a diamond formation or a flat 442 with Shaqiri and Mane playing as traditional wingers.

I just don't see a need to recruit a player from outside the club to offer something different (which we very rarely need in the first place). The only reason to consider purchasing a top attacking player would be someone who can play the left forward role in the way Salah and Mane play the wide forward roles. If that's Werner that's fine just from what a lot are saying it sounds like we would just be getting an upgrade on Origi who plays like Origi but may be better at scoring goals. In my eyes that doesn't address our need.
But Werner is playing off the left, where Mane plays. It's not like for like but nor is Mane playing false 9 the same as Firmino playing there. Or Mane playing on the right the same as Salah playing on the right given Salah likes to cut in his left and thus create space for TAA and Mane is predominantly right-footed and would end up denying TAA that space.

Think we all agree a right-footed forward to play on the left is what we need. And if we're getting rid of Origi, it would be good if that player could also play centrally, perhaps in a different way to Firmino or so that Firmino could slot in alongside or behind on them occasion if we went to a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2. What's more important is how he would play in our system rather than does he play the exact same position and way at RB that Mane does for us.

On paper it certainly seems like he's been the man identified by the club.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
But Werner is playing off the left, where Mane plays. It's not like for like but nor is Mane playing false 9 the same as Firmino playing there. Or Mane playing on the right the same as Salah playing on the right given Salah likes to cut in his left and thus create space for TAA and Mane is predominantly right-footed and would end up denying TAA that space.

Think we all agree a right-footed forward to play on the left is what we need. And if we're getting rid of Origi, it would be good if that player could also play centrally, perhaps in a different way to Firmino or so that Firmino could slot in alongside or behind on them occasion if we went to a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2. What's more important is how he would play in our system rather than does he play the exact same position and way at RB that Mane does for us.

On paper it certainly seems like he's been the man identified by the club.
That's what I'm saying;

"What's more important is how he would play in our system rather than does he play the exact same position."

Just because Werner can play on the left doesn't mean he can play in our system. Shaqiri plays the right forward position but in nothing like the style Mane and Salah do it. Elliott is the closest (only close) player in terms of style we have.

Mane is a lot closer to being able to play like Firmino in false 9 than anyone we could probably buy. He also play right forward exactly like Salah plays right forward for a year before Salah arrived. He certainly didn't hang out wide denying the RB space he was attacking the box.

Its great if a player we buy opens up more styles, tactics and formations for us but first and foremost most of our games are against opposition teams we can spank if we can play our main tactics and styles of play. At the moment we can only do that if Mane is available and able to play Left Forward. If he is missing, covering for Bobby Central or covering Salah on the right we can't play our main tactics and styles of play even if we want to and it would be the best chance of getting the win.

For me the problem with Werner breaks down to;

1. I'm unconvinced he can play in the same style as Mane and Salah when he plays wide, if he can't I don't want him at all I want someone else who can even if that player is a "worse player"!

2. I'm unconvinced the interest is as strong as being made out, our club doesn't reveal its hand like this, hes making far too much noise about us. It comes across as unprofessional to an extent but certainly if things were really advanced I'm sure he'd have been advised to stay quiet.

3. We have no way of predicting how the coronavirus has affected the market, the "good price" he is available for may be a complete rip off we have no way of knowing at this stage.

4. Ethically, depending on when and if this summers transfer window occurs, it may be the wrong time to go forward with multimillion pound deals. From a business point of view its fine we are spending mostly future money. But when nations will be struggling economically, clubs may well be going under and there may still be thousands dying world wide I just don't think this is the right time to pursue big deals, not even if Mbappe was available.

rab

1. I'm unconvinced he can play in the same style as Mane and Salah when he plays wide, if he can't I don't want him at all I want someone else who can even if that player is a "worse player"!

2. I'm unconvinced the interest is as strong as being made out, our club doesn't reveal its hand like this, hes making far too much noise about us. It comes across as unprofessional to an extent but certainly if things were really advanced I'm sure he'd have been advised to stay quiet.

3. We have no way of predicting how the coronavirus has affected the market, the "good price" he is available for may be a complete rip off we have no way of knowing at this stage.

4. Ethically, depending on when and if this summers transfer window occurs, it may be the wrong time to go forward with multimillion-pound deals. From a business point of view its fine we are spending mostly future money. But when nations will be struggling economically, clubs may well be going under and there may still be thousands dying world wide I just don't think this is the right time to pursue big deals, not even if Mbappe was available.
1. So a worse player who is closer in style to Mane is better than a better player who could bring something slightly different and potentially as good or better to the role just not in a like for like way? You realise how mental that sounds? Maybe we want the option of a proper 9 given we don't have one. Maybe we're looking not for a Mane light but competition for Firmino that can also cover Mane?

2. Klopp directly spoke to him before our CL quarterfinal game. That came from the bloke who has said we won't be spending that much on him. Interest also confirmed by the leading Bundesliga pundit in the UK and James Pearce. There's a reason it's known and out there and it's not likely to be as a smokescreen.

3 & 4. said nothing on price or ethics, just on the players fit for our club.

Would love to know who the Mane light is that would also be able to play on the right and through the middle as a false 9, and would come at a cost that aligns with new market valuations that also offendeds no ones ethics.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
1. So a worse player who is closer in style to Mane is better than a better player who could bring something slightly different and potentially as good or better to the role just not in a like for like way? You realise how mental that sounds? Maybe we want the option of a proper 9 given we don't have one. Maybe we're looking not for a Mane light but competition for Firmino that can also cover Mane?

2. Klopp directly spoke to him before our CL quarterfinal game. That came from the bloke who has said we won't be spending that much on him. Interest also confirmed by the leading Bundesliga pundit in the UK and James Pearce. There's a reason it's known and out there and it's not likely to be as a smokescreen.

3 & 4. said nothing on price or ethics, just on the players fit for our club.

Would love to know who the Mane light is that would also be able to play on the right and through the middle as a false 9, and would come at a cost that aligns with new market valuations that also offendeds no ones ethics.
1. You're completely misrepresenting what I said. I said a player that plays in the correct way would be better than a player who didn't even if it wasn't as good a player. Van Dijk is a better player than Ox but if I'm choosing an attacking midfielder out of the two I'm choosing Ox. We don't play formations that often that use a proper 9, we rarely choose to use 4231 but when we do Salah is phenomenal in that role and likely to still be ahead of anyone we could buy except Mbappe (if we could even buy him).

2. Klopp directly speaks to lots of players do we know what was said. Pearce has been open and honest that he is using what the club had said they would be looking for in summer 2020, determined (by himself) that sounded like Werner and assumed that's who we would get. Look at the wording used in the articles and tweets. All the strong talk is coming from Werners camp. Lots of assumptions and guesswork apart from that.

I explained why I believe we are fine at false 9 and on the right. At CF and AM too. All those positions are covered within our squad if we have a strong LF option. So why go out and target a player who can do a job at all of them, who only really is needed for one of them? And i don't think we will or should buy the player till 2021. Sorry if my ethics somehow offend you.

rab

1. You're completely misrepresenting what I said. I said a player that plays in the correct way would be better than a player who didn't even if it wasn't as good a player. Van Dijk is a better player than Ox but if I'm choosing an attacking midfielder out of the two I'm choosing Ox. We don't play formations that often that use a proper 9, we rarely choose to use 4231 but when we do Salah is phenomenal in that role and likely to still be ahead of anyone we could buy except Mbappe (if we could even buy him).

2. Klopp directly speaks to lots of players do we know what was said. Pearce has been open and honest that he is using what the club had said they would be looking for in summer 2020, determined (by himself) that sounded like Werner and assumed that's who we would get. Look at the wording used in the articles and tweets. All the strong talk is coming from Werners camp. Lots of assumptions and guesswork apart from that.

I explained why I believe we are fine at false 9 and on the right. At CF and AM too. All those positions are covered within our squad if we have a strong LF option. So why go out and target a player who can do a job at all of them, who only really is needed for one of them? And i don't think we will or should buy the player till 2021. Sorry if my ethics somehow offend you.
There's no misrepresentations at all. You said a lesser player who is closer to Mane in style would be better than an overall better player who is not as alike as Mane, did you not? Are we talking about buying a centre back to compete with Mane or are we straw-manning here because last I looked Werner was a forward who plays in the position you want to strengthen? You're way too hung up on everything being like for like which Klopp has previously said isn't the way he wants to build a squad. He wants different, flexible options that can play in his style and tactical approach.

Now we're just going to dismiss some of the most reliable sources out there because it doesn't quite fit your perspective? You think Klopp just rang him up to chat about the weather? Of all these players Klopp talks to, can you tell me one other he's known to have spoken to recently? The club has an interest, whether we act on it or not remains to be seen but accept it or be wrong.

Let's not get all faux-virtuous shall we? If it was ethics that were your motivation here you'd be arguing against buying anyone, not for someone other than Werner. Or is there a magic figure out there we all need to know about? Anything under is fine but a penny over it is highly unethical.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
There's no misrepresentations at all. You said a lesser player who is closer to Mane in style would be better than an overall better player who is not as alike as Mane, did you not? Are we talking about buying a centre back to compete with Mane or are we straw-manning here because last I looked Werner was a forward who plays in the position you want to strengthen? You're way too hung up on everything being like for like which Klopp has previously said isn't the way he wants to build a squad. He wants different, flexible options that can play in his style and tactical approach.

Now we're just going to dismiss some of the most reliable sources out there because it doesn't quite fit your perspective? You think Klopp just rang him up to chat about the weather? Of all these players Klopp talks to, can you tell me one other he's known to have spoken to recently? The club has an interest, whether we act on it or not remains to be seen but accept it or be wrong.

Let's not get all faux-virtuous shall we? If it was ethics that were your motivation here you'd be arguing against buying anyone, not for someone other than Werner. Or is there a magic figure out there we all need to know about? Anything under is fine but a penny over it is highly unethical.
I am against any big fee signings this summer yes.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
The whole article is good. At times repeats things he's been reporting for weeks now, but gives a good picture where we're at now, on and off the pitch.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The whole article is good. At times repeats things he's been reporting for weeks now, but gives a good picture where we're at now, on and off the pitch.
Sorry haven't read this article as don't have the Athletic maybe I'm missing something in it.

rab

I am against any big fee signings this summer yes.
Funny, your first, and very long response, failed to mention ethics or fees and just spoke to squad needs, fit and the concern he was an upgrade on Origi.

Ethics left football a long time ago. There will be a transfer market because the movement of players is how a lot of clubs survive. Millions will be spent just not as many before. Sitting on our hands might win us brownie points but not much else.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Funny, your first, and very long response, failed to mention ethics or fees and just spoke to squad needs, fit and the concern he was an upgrade on Origi.

Ethics left football a long time ago. There will be a transfer market because the movement of players is how a lot of clubs survive. Millions will be spent just not as many before. Sitting on our hands might win us brownie points but not much else.
It was a response to a discussion on whether he was tactically perfect or not. I've been saying for weeks now that we shouldn't spend big this transfer window.

Red over the water

I think a small window is on the cards due to underlying virus correction for football. However, over and above that, I also think the club will do whatever it needs to do, so if the powers that be decide there is business that needs to be done, I'm sure we will do it.

The good news is that we are in a strong position, so there isn't an underlying obligation to act in order to become relevant. Our strength and current standing will mean that even if we don't intend to make much of a splash, if something presents itself - and it might - then we will be well placed to act.

rab

It was a response to a discussion on whether he was tactically perfect or not. I've been saying for weeks now that we shouldn't spend big this transfer window.
No one was talking about ethics though, we were talking about fit. The ethics point was purely made to shift the focus of the conversation because you were talking nonsense.

And on the ethics point, as a business, if the club has money to buy a player then there can be no moral objection to them doing that. It's not like they're choosing between spending it on a transfer fee and building a new hospital.

Whether they have the money to spend that kind of fee remains to be seen but it seems the likelihood is they do not.