Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ralf Rangnick's animosity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A giant can of Red Bull, cos he's not coming

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
If Origi is to go then I am certain we will purchase. I can't see them relying on Brewster in a title charge.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
After seeing Studge look more fudge that footballer last night, I am very keen for us to reinforce. An injury to one of our main front three would be a huge blow, and Brewster and Origi are not the kind of options from the bench I want to see come on when we are looking to challenge for a title.

Issue I have is that Werner is unlikely to waltz in and make it big straight away - always takes time. But the sooner we bring a player in, the sooner they settle. If Klopp likes him, and provided his ears can now handle the noise in grounds, take him.

redfanman

TIA Regular
It’s intersting that we’ve sold Solanke and are about to do the same with Origi, I’ll be really surprised if we don’t make a move for a striker of some sort
It's unlikely we will bring someone in this window- I cant see why Leipzig would sell Werner this month either and would think that is the same for almost all other clubs.

GermanRed

Leipzig already confirmed that they will sell him in summer if he doesn't extend but no chance they will let him go now.

Foldy

Thing is if theres injuries to any of the front 3 would you want Brewster thrown in on a title charge?
That's why I would of kept Origi because he can play on the wing. I just can't see us getting rid of cover without replacing them. I guess the next three weeks will tell.
It's unlikely we will bring someone in this window- I cant see why Leipzig would sell Werner this month either and would think that is the same for almost all other clubs.
If true we're not leaving ourselves with a vast backup of forwards.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
That's why I would of kept Origi because he can play on the wing. I just can't see us getting rid of cover without replacing them. I guess the next three weeks will tell.

If true we're not leaving ourselves with a vast backup of forwards.
I can tell you right now that we are not going to buy Werner this window, might not even happen next window. Mane, Salah and Fabinho bought in 3 different windows which happened out of the blue. All of Reddy and Pearce and whoever else combined won't be able to tell you who we will sign or sell. But one thing we can be sure of is that Klopp are not the type that likes to go into January window to do his shopping unless his hands were forced (like our Chairman made him missed his main target).

Foldy

I can tell you right now that we are not going to buy Werner this window, might not even happen next window. Mane, Salah and Fabinho bought in 3 different windows which happened out of the blue. All of Reddy and Pearce and whoever else combined won't be able to tell you who we will sign or sell. But one thing we can be sure of is that Klopp are not the type that likes to go into January window to do his shopping unless his hands were forced (like our Chairman made him missed his main target).
Surely Klopp would have a say as to who he wants to stay and who he wants to leave? I can't understand why he'd weaken the squad at the very time we need every swinging d**k to be available with injuries popping up all over.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Surely Klopp would have a say as to who he wants to stay and who he wants to leave? I can't understand why he'd weaken the squad at the very time we need every swinging d**k to be available with injuries popping up all over.
Yes he does.... for damn sure. But that's the beauty of him being our manager. He knows and the people really involved in the process in the club knows. The rest of the world knows fuck all about how he sets up his squad and what he thinks. Unlike you know who that likes to sound out James Pearce to do his talking for him in public and mouth off at every opportunity presented itself.

Foldy

Yes he does.... for damn sure. But that's the beauty of him being our manager. He knows and the people really involved in the process in the club knows. The rest of the world knows fuck all about how he sets up his squad and what he thinks. Unlike you know who that likes to sound out James Pearce to do his talking for him in public and mouth off at every opportunity presented itself.
Good point.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
If Origi is to go then I am certain we will purchase. I can't see them relying on Brewster in a title charge.
Next summer. He's got a contract until 2020. Next summer I think both him and Sturridge will leave and possibly get a new backup in (also having Brewster in mind depending how he does if he does get a chance and earns enough minutes before pre-season).

Richard88

Werner is TOTALLY the type of player Edwards and Klopp would go for. He ticks all the boxes, in a similar manner that Firmino, Mane, Salah, Fabinho, etc did.

- Proven in a top European league
- Versatile positionally and tactically
- Age profile (22 years old)
- Available for transfer at under market value (due to his contract expiring in 2020)

You could argue that why would Werner want to move to a club he wouldn't be an automatic first-choice player... But I'm sure he'd get plenty of playing time - more than Sturridge this season. He'd also surely get minutes from Klopp being able to rotate Firmino/Salah/Mané with a player who doesn't drop the quality.

Given the age profiles of the current front 3 (all of them 26-27) I'm also sure Werner would see himself as being able to take over as the "main man" in a couple of seasons after settling and entering his prime.

That said, you're right that we probably won't hear anything about this transfer until when it happens, other than the blind stabs in the dark. It's pretty obvious that he's a talented and available player who would help this team, at the same time that we will need a replacement for 3 strikers (Solanke / Origi / Sturridge).

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Next summer. He's got a contract until 2020. Next summer I think both him and Sturridge will leave and possibly get a new backup in (also having Brewster in mind depending how he does if he does get a chance and earns enough minutes before pre-season).
Realistically we need two top class players in most positions. You could argue Salah and Firmino take the no.9 role but that only tells a half truth because it means we have no back up to Salah as a goal happy wide forward (I don’t think Shaqiri is).

Werner is a left sided Salah by trade who can play up top. As the guy above this post says he ticks all the boxes.

vjcpatriot

I'm also in favor of a Werner signing. Especially if we can also sell on Origi. Let's face it, Origi has been given plenty of chances and just never showed enough to be considered a valid option up front.

Werner on the other hand is a top 3 scorer in the Bundesliga, is 22, is unwilling to renew his contract, and has what less than 18 months left on his deal? He is an ideal candidate to move, and his profile means he could bolster Liverpools attacking options immediately upon arrival.

I feel that if he agrees to come he will be promised and will get considerable rotation time with occasional starts to rest our main 3 forwards. In time Werner could became a 1st string regular, particularly if one leaves to a Barcelona or Real Madrid in the next 3 years.

Never say never. I feel there is some fire to this smoke. Klopp is open to a deal if the 'right opportunity' presents itself. We'll have to wait and see but Werner does seem to tick the boxes of the profile of player that LFC like to sign as of lately under Edwards/Klopp.

GermanRed

Bayern and Dortmund are interested but still no reliable links to us.

RB Sporting Director already said they will sell in the Summer if he doesn’t extend his contract.

Like so many young german internationals before him there is the possibility that he already decided to sign for Bayern a long time ago. A few months ago Werner said that if he stays in Germany it would probably be Bayern - tells me there is definitely contact between them.

If not I think we would be favorites for his signature. Not only financially.
As long as Bayern have Lewandowski they can’t offer Werner a role upfront. We have Firmino who can also play behind a striker.

———Werner———
Mané Firmino Salah

Don’t think Werner would want to be second choice to Lewandowski and being played mainly out wide. Looks like Bayern will sign Hudson-Odoi for £35m - not sure if that effects a possible Werner move.

Unlike Sturridge, Origi and probably Shaqiri too Werner would be real competition at Liverpool. I’m sure he would outscore Firmino and Mané. Maybe even more than Salah - Werner could be a player who can improve significantly if he plays in a better team.

For me the biggest difference between our Front 3 and Timo Werner is that Werner is even more direct than Salah or Mané. Werner doesn’t need much link up play. He gets the ball and attacks the goal.

The statistics about him tell a lot. He gets so many shot on targets but he has to improve his finishing.

MW2833

RB Sporting Director already said they will sell in the Summer if he doesn’t extend his contract.

Like so many young german internationals before him there is the possibility that he already decided to sign for Bayern a long time ago. A few months ago Werner said that if he stays in Germany it would probably be Bayern - tells me there is definitely contact between them.

As long as Bayern have Lewandowski they can’t offer Werner a role upfront. We have Firmino who can also play behind a striker.

———Werner———
Mané Firmino Salah

Don’t think Werner would want to be second choice to Lewandowski and being played mainly out wide. Looks like Bayern will sign Hudson-Odoi for £35m - not sure if that effects a possible Werner move.

Unlike Sturridge, Origi and probably Shaqiri too Werner would be real competition at Liverpool. I’m sure he would outscore Firmino and Mané. Maybe even more than Salah - Werner could be a player who can improve significantly if he plays in a better team.

For me the biggest difference between our Front 3 and Timo Werner is that Werner is even more direct than Salah or Mané. Werner doesn’t need much link up play. He gets the ball and attacks the goal.

The statistics about him tell a lot. He gets so many shot on targets but he has to improve his finishing.
Using his ability to play across the front line, an alternative line up could be:

Salah
Werner Firmino Mane

Which would keep the system we sometimes work with now except a change of wings for Mane.

We need to get this player - he is so versatile

Richard88

———Werner———
Mané Firmino Salah

As you said Werner is a player who an rotate with our current 3 without missing a beat. Any of the below options for a front 3 are viable and equally strong:

Mané - Firmino - Salah

Werner - Firmino - Salah

Mané - Werner - Salah

Werner - Salah - Mané

Werner - Firmino - Mané

You could even have all of them on the pitch at the same time, in different positions:

4231:

-------- Werner --------
Mane - Firmino - Salah

As mentioned before also, Werner is effectively a left-sided version of Salah, starting wide but being the furthest up the pitch. That provides a really interesting tactical option. The 433 is essentially then a 41212 diamond, with Werner and Salah as the (wide) strikers ahead of Firmino in the 10.

----- Werner ---- Salah
--------- Firmino-------

Needless to say, I think it's a signing that makes too much sense for it not to happen. Unless of course Werner prefers to go to Bayern. If he doesn't choose Bayern then I think Liverpool is the obvious choice for him though.

GermanRed

Werner would the top of my shopping list this summer. His versatility would mean he would not need to worry about game time.
Agree but I think he would want a 'guarantee' that he plays most of his games upfront like he does for Germany before he signs.

Would be a problem in negotiations with Bayern because of Lewandowski who can only play as a striker.

Shouldn’t be a big problem for us unless Firmino or Salah 'demand' to be the main forward.

MW2833

Needless to say, I think it's a signing that makes too much sense for it not to happen. Unless of course Werner prefers to go to Bayern. If he doesn't choose Bayern then I think Liverpool is the obvious choice for him though.
So the CL round of 16 is the Werner derby lol

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Agree but I think he would want a 'guarantee' that he plays most of his games upfront like he does for Germany before he signs.

Would be a problem in negotiations with Bayern because of Lewandowski who can only play as a striker.

Shouldn’t be a big problem for us unless Firmino or Salah 'demand' to be the main forward.
He is a wide left forward by trade, not a no.9 though. Look at his heatmap.

Upfront means part of the front three, no worries hed be playing regularly in ours.

GermanRed

He is a wide left forward by trade, not a no.9 though. Look at his heatmap.

Upfront means part of the front three, no worries hed be playing regularly in ours.
With upfront I’ve meant ST/CF.

Richard88

It's an easier sell for us than for Bayern, given that Klopp uses the front 3 flexibly, so in effect Firmino and Salah don't "block" Werner. The 3 of them could be on the pitch at the same time, all in their favourite positions. The same can't be said for Bayern, who have Lewandowski as the clear out-and-out striker.

C

Caradoc

An interesting article on Werner .....

What is Timo Werner's best position? That is the question facing RB Leipzig and Germany

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/what-is-timo-werner-s-best-position-germany-winger-rb-leipzig-striker-512323.jsp

Werner has the potential to be a top striker, but he could be a world-class winger. As the saying goes: if you've got it, flaunt it!

Sounds like a Klopp signing to me! Him and Ferland Mendy would improve our squad no end.

GermanRed

I could not decide which is his best position. Think he has more goals in him than Firmino and Salah as a striker. But also more goals in him than Mané as a left winger. But our current three are all more skilfull than him. With Werner it's all about speed and directness. He is not reliant passing sequenzes or a link-up play.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
It's an easier sell for us than for Bayern, given that Klopp uses the front 3 flexibly, so in effect Firmino and Salah don't "block" Werner. The 3 of them could be on the pitch at the same time, all in their favourite positions. The same can't be said for Bayern, who have Lewandowski as the clear out-and-out striker.
Lewa is 30 though, he will start to decline sooner rather than later and why wouldn’t Werner know he has a year to bed in at Bayern playing on the left and up front from time to time? Within 12months he is starting to push Lewa out of the picture. So for me playing time isn’t a factor at all, he may be blocked initially but he is 23 he has another 6-7 years at the top of the games so its a none issue.

Where I think we may have the edge is Bayern will want him on a free, if we bid enough in the summer RB would much prefer to sell abroad which forces Bayern to match us or lose him.

GermanRed

Lewa is 30 though, he will start to decline sooner rather than later and why wouldn’t Werner know he has a year to bed in at Bayern playing on the left and up front from time to time? Within 12months he is starting to push Lewa out of the picture. So for me playing time isn’t a factor at all, he may be blocked initially but he is 23 he has another 6-7 years at the top of the games so its a none issue.

Where I think we may have the edge is Bayern will want him on a free, if we bid enough in the summer RB would much prefer to sell abroad which forces Bayern to match us or lose him.

Agree - if it comes to a bidding war we will be in a stronger position than Bayern. They won't get him on a free because Leipzig made it clear they will sell him if he doesn't extend his contract.

Werner is the main striker for Germany now and that's what he wants to be. But after the world cup he has to deliver now. It wouldn't look good if Germany's main striker plays just a few of his games at club level in that position. That is why i think its important for Werner to play as the main striker in the 19/20 season and Bayern can't offer him that.

C

Caradoc

The risk for Werner is that if he wants a predominantly central role he will be seen as a replacement for Ribery by Bayern afer he has signed for them.

I would think that the way Liverpool play is better suited to Werner. He will get plenty of game time and will have opportunities to play both centrally and on the left. This would allow him to keep his options open and could make him even more valuable to the German national side.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I could not decide which is his best position. Think he has more goals in him than Firmino and Salah as a striker. But also more goals in him than Mané as a left winger. But our current three are all more skilfull than him. With Werner it's all about speed and directness. He is not reliant passing sequenzes or a link-up play.
I highly doubt he would score more goals than Salah, who so happened to play nearly all the matches except for first 60m against City as a central striker. His hit rate while may not be like his last season, but still extremely respectable.