• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

UEFA Super Cup. Liverpool vs Chelsea. Wed 14th Aug 2000hrs. Istanbul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Second attempt to start this thread. Unsure where first attempt went....

Two changes from Friday, Mane for Origi and Keita for Gini. At them like dogs from the start. I expect a Liverpool win. United were not 4 goals better than them, but Chelsea were nonetheless poor, and we should have the measure of them.
Shaq and Ox to get minutes after an hour.
3-0. Salah to keep a goal a game and Mane with a brace.
No injuries.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Who all is there, in Istanbul? @Dane for sure, cause I remember he booked his travel 2 mins after we were crowned Champions of Europe.

Let's get another real European cup - I don't care if it's just one game. It's official.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Who all is there, in Istanbul? @Dane for sure, cause I remember he booked his travel 2 mins after we were crowned Champions of Europe.

Let's get another real European cup - I don't care if it's just one game. It's official.
Ha ha, no.
That was a hotel for £36 for 2 nights for this seasons CL final

Glory2Anfield

LFC need to provide more goal keeper protection and cover.

Unfortunately Trent is always out of position running to far down the wing.

Tent should be dropped and Matip play center with Gomez right back.

Likewise, LFC must assume Chelsea will score because of below par goal keeping.

So LFC must go all out and try to score 4 , and hopefully Chelsea scores no more then 2.

This game should not be allowed to go to penalties, LFC must go all out to win in normal time.

I suspect that if LFC get a strong upper hand, like man united did, Chelsea may collapse against the continues pressure of Manny, Mo and Bobby. How we feed these players from midfield will determine the end result.

I hold Milner & Wini Back, maybe Milner May have to Sub for Andy.

Probably Fab, Hendo, Keita go center

LFC should easy win this cup

Glory2Anfield

Lampard will have few tactical game plays.

One obvious is to suck Trent as far down the right wing as possible, then quickly counter attack when Trent is out of position; Chelsea would overcrowd the right wing with manpower, when LFC loose the ball, Chelsea pass the ball quickly , a passing ball travels faster then Trent can run back. This is Chelsea’s best strategy.

But taking Trent out, leaves Lampard with few tactical options . LFC can be very dominant, I do not see how Lampard has the players available to repeatedly breakdown LFC

Glory2Anfield

Lampard seems like he has very few options.

He got whipped on Sunday, and had a bad ride back to London Sunday night.

Had a strategy and training session Monday.

Travel on Tuesday

Light training session Wednesday.

I am all in favour of Chelsea getting another whipping on Wednesday night.

Nothing wrong with giving them a bad flight home

Glory2Anfield

But then again, maybe Lampard is a clever fox.

Maybe he just said some of his best players were injured, but he was resting them, because he wants to lull LFC into a false sense of security .

Maybe Chelsea will field a much stronger side then they did against man united.

LFC should plan for a stronger Chelsea, always plan for the worst and hope for the best

Glory2Anfield

I was just reflecting on some of my points of thinking.

If you think about this game from Lampards perspective, you come to different conclusions.

If I was Lampard I would think as follows and then execute strategy based on it.

First I would conclude I have no chance of winning the premier league. Likewise, the FA and League cup, will be won by one of the top 4 who fail to win the premier league and probably outside Chelsea reach for this season. Likewise, Chelsea has no chance of winning the European cup.

Therefore a successful first season for Lampard would be, to end in the top 4 and play in the European cup next year. Also the easiest and most likely cup to win is the super cup, it is one match game, with no major competition path. Just one game, winner takes all.

So on this basis, basically the Super Cup is the only cup Lampard can win. Therefore if I was Lampard I would have saved my best players for the super cup, and tell everyone my best players are injured for the Man United game.

The loss against United will probably not greatly impact Chelsea finishing in the top 4 this season. I would accept this loss of face for the Super Cup.

I suspect Lampard is trying to pull a quick one on Klopp. Lampard probably wants Klopp to plan his game play on Chelsea performance and weaknesses against man united.

Caveat emptor "Let the buyer Klopp beware"

The flip side of this coin, is that Lampard players are injured and he plays basically the same side. If this be the case then LFC has won another European trophy over Man City. That will get Peps blood boiling !

Last edited:

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Is extra time and a fourth sub possible after 90 minutes?

Is it a 12 men bench?

igor_piss_can

I actually thought Chelsea did alright for the first hour at the weekend and should have went in ahead at the break. Don't think that it'll be as doom and gloom as everybody thinks for them this season. That being said, if they play the way they did against Utd I can see us picking them off with ease and absolutely destroying them. Are Kante and Pulisic expected to feature?

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
You may believe it's silly thinking about another match in about 6 weeks time, but after Arse next weekend, our next big game is against Chelsea. I really would love us to apply more pressure on Lampard and hopefully they can stay in a rut until we play them in the league. I want us to go all out for this, for the cup but also to give them doubts for when we play them next.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
You may believe it's silly thinking about another match in about 6 weeks time, but after Arse next weekend, our next big game is against Chelsea. I really would love us to apply more pressure on Lampard and hopefully they can stay in a rut until we play them in the league. I want us to go all out for this, for the cup but also to give them doubts for when we play them next.
Saints away next weekend...........

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
They'll be very cautious and won't want to get battered again in Frank's second game,as long as we're clinical then i can't see these useless twats getting anything other than getting battered,5-0 to us,should've been 10-0.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Liverpool travelling squad: Fabinho, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Milner, Keita, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gomez, Adrian, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Lonergan, Shaqiri, Brewster, Robertson, Origi, Matip, Hoever, Kelleher, Alexander-Arnold, Elliott.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Shit, thought this was the super cup thread? I should probably read more of the posts above!
It was a shit joke really - given the Alisson thread it seems like some people's definitions of 'a few' is so flexible it could refer to either the Saints or Arsenal games, which the posters above me were discussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.