• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

UEFA Super Cup. Liverpool vs Chelsea. Wed 14th Aug 2000hrs. Istanbul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
It was a shit joke really - given the Alisson thread it seems like some people's definitions of 'a few' is so flexible it could refer to either the Saints or Arsenal games, which the posters above me were discussing.
Ah...I see. We all know that the Saints and Arsenal fixtures are lesser games than the Super Cup.

Commando

Ad-free Member
But then again, maybe Lampard is a clever fox.

Maybe he just said some of his best players were injured, but he was resting them, because he wants to lull LFC into a false sense of security .

Maybe Chelsea will field a much stronger side then they did against man united.

LFC should plan for a stronger Chelsea, always plan for the worst and hope for the best
I'm sure that Jurgen and his staff will have prepared for any eventuality. They will have plans in place to counter whatever Chavski line up is put out.

COYR YNWA

Red over the water

Looking forward to this, hopefully we pick up the trophy. We should be favorites but we will have to turn up and do the job. We also have to expect Chelsea to be better than at the weekend. I think they are in danger of falling out of the top four this year, but they haven’t become mugs overnight.

The team I’d pick would be:

Adrian
Trent Gomez VVD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Keita
Salah Firmino Mane

The defence was iffy last weekend, but for me that’s a reason to put them back in to get that cohesiveness back. Chopping and changing it now just delays them reaching their best level together. They are all excellent players and should work it out on the pitch.

The vulnerability on Trent’s side is a factor, as teams can get behind him, but I think it is overstated. He can, and will do better defensively, but we need to bear in mind his offensive output, and the problems he gives teams high up the pitch, and all those assists he produces, as well as (usually) great crossing that even if it doesn’t result in a goal, it causes mayhem.

Gomez gets the nod over Matip for me largely because of the speed and athleticism. We can play a higher line, and Gomez can also cover the ground better if there is space for the opposition to exploit behind Trent. Mind you, Matip is a good player and will be ready to come in if there’s an injury, or loss of form, or a rest needed. To my mind the biggest defensive need right now is time together for that unit to emerge. In a couple of games I expect it to be as parsimonious as ever... just needs to find its groove.

Keita looked very good in his Community Shield cameo so I’d put him in. Hopefully we get a big season from him.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member

1. I never like playing English opposition in Europe. It feels less special to me. So couldn't care less that it's an all english event

2. I don't care if it's a female referee - as it should be. It's great for her, but honestly couldn't care less as long as she's not corrupt, biased or incompetent.

3. No. Making assumptions off the back of one round of.premiership matches is stupid and pointless as you are taking nothing into account apart from the actual scores.

4. Yes it's the first of potentially six. But as a Liverpool fan and as much as I want to win it, the outcome of the match has zero bearing on if this season will be seen as successful or not.

5. As a Liverpool fan obviously this one has no importance to me. But even if I were a Chelsea fan, bearing in mind Frank did not earn his place in this final or did not assemble the team due to the ban, if he wins, he trophy is as much 'his' as it is Harry Kane's.

So while I do care about it, it's only in so far as it's a game of football, and i would like us to win it.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
My thoughts are :
1. Although it’s not a proper cup, don’t want us to lose 2/3 of the first games of the season or lose a second final within a month.

2. Interested to see how the players react to a female referee.

3. Massive kudos to any of the fans who trek out to Istanbul for a mid week game in a meaningless competition especially Chelsea fans who must be assuming a defeat. Much as I don’t like the latter, fair play to those that buy flights, hotels etc for this.

4. I think getting through this injury free is as important as winning. 3 points away at Southampton much more critical for our season.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
My thoughts are :
1. Although it’s not a proper cup, don’t want us to lose 2/3 of the first games of the season or lose a second final within a month.

2. Interested to see how the players react to a female referee.

3. Massive kudos to any of the fans who trek out to Istanbul for a mid week game in a meaningless competition especially Chelsea fans who must be assuming a defeat. Much as I don’t like the latter, fair play to those that buy flights, hotels etc for this.

4. I think getting through this injury free is as important as winning. 3 points away at Southampton much more critical for our season.
It's not a proper trophy? Our three wins in the competition are recorded on the Champions Wall in Melwood. Very high accolade for what you describe as meaningless.
This is a proper trophy, and it has always been treated as such by LFC.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Very good article, which sums up the value of winning mentality. I think the importance of this is misunderstood, and I doubt if Klopp and the players consider it meaningless.
It might be a good article but I'm put off by the phrase "mentality giants" - I've seen that phrase increasingly bandied about and (probably entirely irrationally) I hate it.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Need to take Chelsea seriously. They'll be starting with a stronger team. Don't see them going with Tammy Abraham and Ross Barkley in their starting xi

Don't know if rudiger will be back by then though , them starting with zouma as a cb will be asking for trouble.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Need to take Chelsea seriously. They'll be starting with a stronger team. Don't see them going with Tammy Abraham and Ross Barkley in their starting xi

Don't know if rudiger will be back by then though , them starting with zouma as a cb will be asking for trouble.
Rudiger's due back next month, as far as I know.

SithBaare

I don't know the full details, but I heard suggestions he was causing trouble behind the scenes with Lampard, agitating for the move etc.
But for him to jump to arsenal which is essentially a team on the same level as Chelsea rather than looking at a much better move.

Chelsea could atleast have waited for the European window to end and then sell him

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
But for him to jump to arsenal which is essentially a team on the same level as Chelsea rather than looking at a much better move.

Chelsea could atleast have waited for the European window to end and then sell him
Yeah, I actually find it surprising the amount of business those clubs do between each other. Cole, Diarra, Gallas, Cech, Benayoun, Giroud, Luiz...it's almost as if they're both thinking, "at least it's not Spurs".

SithBaare

Yeah, I actually find it surprising the amount of business those clubs do between each other. Cole, Diarra, Gallas, Cech, Benayoun, Giroud, Luiz...it's almost as if they're both thinking, "at least it's not Spurs".
Is it because the players don't want to leave London ?

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I’m hoping we can beat these: it’s a trophy I want.
Trophies breed trophies.
Wouldn’t mind seeing keita get some minutes. And Ox.
I agree FB. I really want them to win this. My view is it's an important match, and I don't know how any supporter can see it differently. I don't at all understand the "SIX!" crowd downplaying this one as I've seen some do on the socials. It's a match between 2 Champions and I hope the club are treating it seriously.

Sweeting

1. Champions League
2. Premier League
3. FA Cup
4. Top 4 finish
5. League Cup
6. Super Cup
7. Charity Shield

No complaints with that I expect?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Same here. My game week 1 performance was brutal. Is there a this is anfield league that I can join ?
There is, but I've just been entered into it automatically for years now so I've got no idea about what the league code and password would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.