• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

UEFA Super Cup. Liverpool vs Chelsea. Wed 14th Aug 2000hrs. Istanbul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
1. Champions League
2. Premier League
3. FA Cup
4. Top 4 finish
5. League Cup
6. Super Cup
7. Charity Shield

No complaints with that I expect?
Charity Shield is way too high.
Time that nonsense of a game was scrapped

Sidwishus

Unfortunately looks like Nabys filling Dannys position. Permanently on the treatment table. It doesn't bode well eh

Flobs

FADA
Not on the tele so 1st match of the season on streaming. Fingers crossed for my viewing for this unnecessary physical exertion. Let's kick their arses.

Genius

The Somewhat Normal One
I'll be in Bristol today. Anyone knows where I can watch the game in Bristol ?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Landed in Istanbul, going to check my accomodation and straight to Taksim! Been all Liverpool fans so far, Turkish people supporting us as well. Saw an empty Chelsea bus that drives to their meeting point.

Up the Reds and let's get number 4 tonight!

:-)

Glory2Anfield

Some people feel the Super Cup is a low ranking trophy. I disagree with that and take the opposite view.

To play in the Super Cup you have to win either the European Champions League or the Europa Cup. With the Europa cup representing the best up coming teams in Europe.

So winning the Super Cup is somewhat one better then winning the Europa Cup.

The winner of the Super Cup has great marketing images that are highly appealing to the advertising companies that finance football.

I see the Super Cup ranking in status far above the League and FA cup on a world wide basis.

After tonight we will have won the Super Cup more times then Man United has won the Champions League, that sounds super to me, better still, City has not even started.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Some people feel the Super Cup is a low ranking trophy. I disagree with that and take the opposite view.

To play in the Super Cup you have to win either the European Champions League or the Europa Cup. With the Europa cup representing the best up coming teams in Europe.

So winning the Super Cup is somewhat one better then winning the Europa Cup.

The winner of the Super Cup has great marketing images that are highly appealing to the advertising companies that finance football.

I see the Super Cup ranking in status far above the League and FA cup on a world wide basis.

After tonight we will have won the Super Cup more times then Man United has won the Champions League, that sounds super to me, better still, City has not even started.
Nah, it's a made up game that we haven't always even bothered to take part in (1981).

It's like the PL champions playing the Championship winners for a trophy.

It's nice to win solely because it's an international trophy but it's not better than the FA Cup, for me at least.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Lampard selling David Luiz a few weeks before the super cup does not appear a smart move.

Luiz reminds me of Matip, he often carry’s the ball from just outside his own penalty box to the center line and passes the ball through the lines.

Luiz also reminds me of Fabiano, who slows down an attack by having a hustle dig out for the ball in central midfield.

Why not wait until January or sell him next week in the European market. Chelsea did not need the pocket change.

If Luiz is good enough for Arsenal, you would think he could have been called upon to reinforce the Chelsea defence, especially if Chelsea got an early lead.

Not the smartest move
I dunno. He's always been a liability in all the defenses he's been in, prone to errors out of nowhere like our own Lovren, He got exposed big time for Brazil back when they were tore apart by Germany at the WC. Quite sure that's why Lampard go rid.
Short term bad move perhaps but could be the best desicion long term if they wanna build a strong reliable defense. I think Lampard has the "luxury" to plan beyond this season, (with the transfer ban and Hazard leaving) they kinda forced to write this season off and look forward, and David just not part of his long term planning( which is a very klopp'ish approach to be honest). Might even be the best scenario for them as well cause they won't be able to compete with us and City anyways. Top 4 is gonna be vital to them tho and in that light it's a risk to sell off Luiz to a rival. One of Chelsea, United and Arsenal are gonna be the loser in the top 4 race. Hard to predict which one it will be.

igor_piss_can

Nah, it's a made up game that we haven't always even bothered to take part in (1981).

It's like the PL champions playing the Championship winners for a trophy.

It's nice to win solely because it's an international trophy but it's not better than the FA Cup, for me at least.
I Think The FA Cup is also the oldest football competition in the world too so I imagine it'll be seen as a pretty prestigious competition to football fans outside of the UK (If any foreign reds on here could fill us in?)

RodM

One thing bothering me is where this game is being shown in Germany. The office seems split between Sky Sport 1 and DAZN (apart from one guy who says ZDF but is a Schalke fan and apparently knows nothing).

Any German Reds know for sure?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
One thing bothering me is where this game is being shown in Germany. The office seems split between Sky Sport 1 and DAZN (apart from one guy who says ZDF but is a Schalke fan and apparently knows nothing).

Any German Reds know for sure?
Pretty sure its on both DAZN (stream) and Sky Sports (Pay TV and Stream)

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
LFC need to provide more goal keeper protection and cover.

Unfortunately Trent is always out of position running to far down the wing.

Tent should be dropped and Matip play center with Gomez right back.

Likewise, LFC must assume Chelsea will score because of below par goal keeping.

So LFC must go all out and try to score 4 , and hopefully Chelsea scores no more then 2.

This game should not be allowed to go to penalties, LFC must go all out to win in normal time.

I suspect that if LFC get a strong upper hand, like man united did, Chelsea may collapse against the continues pressure of Manny, Mo and Bobby. How we feed these players from midfield will determine the end result.

I hold Milner & Wini Back, maybe Milner May have to Sub for Andy.

Probably Fab, Hendo, Keita go center

LFC should easy win this cup
Good lord! Go to your local store and buy the next size larger undies, you may be going through life a bit restricted.

Am I the only one who would like to see a few kids play in this? Maybe Hoever and Brewster?

In terms of cup rankings, I'd maybe have the league 1 and Champions league 2, based on recency bias. Top 4 and FA cup tied for third, because who wants the prospect of going into a season with no champions league, that would be depressing all over again. The rest of them to me are a chance to see some young players and enjoy the games.

stevieg1985

Play a weakened side and concentrate on Sunday's match, this cup means nothing to either side

Retro Helix

Is there.? I'd say as a Liverpool fan there is a far more important game on Saturday afternoon
Oops, my bad. Assumed we'd play on Sunday since we playing this evening. All the more reason to field the youngsters then. On that note, why does Chelsea get to play on Sunday? A bit unfair that.

scouseheadross

Septical
The game should help to build some more fitness and sharpness. Chelsea were woeful sans Hazard but probably turn up tonight instead.

I'm just enjoying some proper footie at last, this is a bonus game.... dedicated to all the supporters that helped us get big ears in the summer. Suggest we crow if we win and ignore it otherwise.

3-1 for me. Nice to see someone random like Robertson get on the scoresheet.

Incognito

The Normal One
Landed in Istanbul, going to check my accomodation and straight to Taksim! Been all Liverpool fans so far, Turkish people supporting us as well. Saw an empty Chelsea bus that drives to their meeting point.

Up the Reds and let's get number 4 tonight!
Great, thankfully it doesn't look like this game being of no importance. We would have seen empty Liverpool buses instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.