• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Van Den Berg - Welcome to Liverpool !!

StevenAlonso

Its Official!!

First signing of the Season!!!

Liverpool have agreed a deal with PEC Zwolle for the transfer of Sepp van den Berg, which will be completed in July subject to international clearance.

The 17-year-old defender has finalised terms on a long-term contract with the Reds after an agreement was reached with the Eredivisie club.
Van den Berg told Liverpoolfc.com: “It’s just an amazing feeling.
“It is, for me, the biggest club in the world and it’s a dream come true. I am really excited.
“I’ve seen what kind of players from the Academy grew into the first team here. It is unbelievable, especially when this kind of big club does that.
“Of course, the trainer [Jürgen Klopp] is a great guy and one of the reasons they are successful – and also one of the reasons I came here.
“I think this is the best place for me to grow and hopefully play a lot of games here.”
Van den Berg made 15 appearances in the Dutch top flight last season, helping Zwolle to a 13th place finish.
He is also an international for the Netherlands at U19 level, winning four caps to date.

StevenAlonso

As per the Daily Mail the fee seems to be in the range of 1.3 million pounds rising to 4.4 million pounds!!

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Welcome Sepp.

The hope for the likes of Hoever and Van Den Berg will be that if they do progress into top players they'll see the success and god-like status of Van Dijk and they'll hope to replicate that here rather than be tempted abroad. To have such an obvious idol is a blessing for us.

He speaks well in the interview there, appears to be a humble kid. If so, he'll fit right in here. I'm sure he'll get some minutes in pre-season and if another scenario like last January happens he might get a few proper games for the next seaon too.

We don't have too much in the way of centre back depth in the youth ranks so this is a really smart bit of business IMO.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Welcome to Liverpool.
Lovren replacement in 2020 lol

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Was just seeing whether he and Hoever play together at international youth level as he's only 1 month older than Hoever.

However, despite only being 1 month older, VDB plays for the Dutch U19s two age groups above Hoever (U17s). Hoever also plays RB for the national side whereas VDB plays CB. Is that a reflection on how the Dutch rate each player's stage of development? I must admit on the very few occasions I've seen Hoever play for the U17s he's looked far too good for that level.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Even if playing regularly for Zwolle is a higher level than the U23's, I think Klopp is different to Rodgers when it comes to timing of loaning out players. Klopp from the start said that he wants the best talent with him, or at least for a while at the start of their move to Melwood. They first need to (if they earn it by their talent, quality, application) spend time with us, be it at Melwood or the Academy or both, pick up the principles of our game, know what's the style and standards. Then, if the circumstances are such, seek for a quality loan move, but always knowing what's waiting them back at Liverpool. We'll see how quick this guy gets a proper chance. Pre-season we'll probably see him get games that Nat Phillips got last summer and then take it from there. I guess he spends the season with us and either stays or goes on loan next season. Too early to say, he's 17 and CB is not an easy position (especially if you don't have a secondary position, like Gomez had).

Zinedine Biscan

Kylian me softly...
Ad-free Member
As for the player, always good to see a talented young player come in. It will be interesting to see what role he plays, I'm guessing he'll get a fair bit of time in preseason, especially early on.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Welcome Sepp!

Nice little signing, this. Low pressure regarding the transfer fee, all the time in the world to develop and a high ceiling as indicated by the fact that other big clubs were in for him. What's not to like about this?

Obviously, as Zoran said, you never know how much time a player will take to make it. It's on him now, and on the coaching staff to get the most out of his potential as quickly and efficiently as possible. But he's at a good place for this, and that's why he moved to us in the first place. Very promising.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
His barnet proved he was a red,
Den Berg, Den Berg,
It glowed deep carrot on his head,
Den Berg, Den Berg,

We bought him for his ginger mane
The mighty reds will reign again
Sepp Van Den Berr-rrgg
Liverpool's Rising Star...

Andy Mac

Reading on the official site that he made 15 first team appearances last season. That’s quite impressive for a 17 year old centre back. Could possibly give him a run out in the league cup if we are drawn against lower league opposition perhaps?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Absolutely love this transfer, even though I know nothing about him.

1. Very highly rated very young player, laying the foundations for long-term strength.

2. Almost a decade ago, we signed Joe Cole, and there was near a week where the fact it was going to happen was an open secret. Seemed like half the club was running off to find a journo to blab to. This transfer went from first hint to closed before most of us could google him. The first comment from the club was a press release. We are like an ambush predator in the market now.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Joyce describes Bayern Munich officials making increasingly frantic telephone calls to VDB's family and representatives yesterday in a desperate attempt to hi-jack the deal. Haha.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
According to reports Bayern also missed out on another young CB today.
They were interested in highley rated 18 yo Ozan Kabak (turkish) from Stuttgart but it looks like he will move to Schalke.
The player has a €15m release clause.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
At least Bayern knew that we were closing in. Was it Fabinho that a top club enquired about only to be told by [Monaco] that he'd already signed for us?

Club..."What? When did that happen? There's been no announcement has there?"
Monaco..."There'll be one soon"

As much as a transfer saga and its accompanying speculation is fun, I love that kind of BOOM!!! the most.