• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Van Den Berg - Welcome to Liverpool !!

Arminius

FSG PR plant
At least Bayern knew that we were closing in. Was it Fabinho that a top club enquired about only to be told by [Monaco] that he'd already signed for us?

Club..."What? When did that happen? There's been no announcement has there?"
Monaco..."There'll be one soon"

As much as a transfer saga and its accompanying speculation is fun, I love that kind of BOOM!!! the most.
Can't see that ridiculous Willian scenario playing out again.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
He was one United were after as well, apparently.
Even if Stuttgart were relegated Kabak was quite impressive in his few months there.
They bought him for €11m in january and will sell him for €15m (thats a lot for a relegated team in germany) now.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
My favourite thing about this transfer is his age. While we may all be hopeful that he's that good he could slot into the senior squad this season, it is more likely that he is 'one for the future'.

This indicates, either (hopefully) Klopp is planning on sticking around past his current contract end and is involved in the planning for the future of the team

or, if Klopp is leaving sooner than we hope he still has the future interests of the club at heart and there is zero chance of him doing mourinho and leaving an aging unbalanced squad to simply compete this season or next season.

We are in good hands, and I am optimistic for the future.

Jaytinho

Never seen him play, but seen a couple videos. Yep, definitely in the VVD mold, lanky with some speed. Abit of a bulldog when marking, I like that. Cant wait to see him in pre season!

Red over the water

Good luck to the lad. Young, good attributes, coming to a massive club to learn from the very best. He'll need to hit the weights as the Premier League is no place to try to defend if you haven't filled out a bit. I really liked the stuff about his passing ability in the Echo article, not just the overall pass accuracy stats, but the ability with the longer pass too. When teams are trying to squeeze us in the middle we are particularly adept at sending a pass over their midfield for one of our speedsters to wreak havoc. If this kid has that in his locker then it augurs well.

I like how measured we are in the market. A few weeks ago the world was going crazy about De Ligt and the price just seemed to be going up and up. I'm sure we were interested, at least to a point, but then backed away once it started to get ridiculous. I would love it, Kevin-Keegan-style-absolutely-love-it, if it turns out we've got another just as good, or even better, for a small fraction of the cost.

Ahmed Hussain

Sad guy with no life :(
Sorry if anyone has already said or asked before, but is he going into the first team or reserves?

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial

Interesting nugget in here,
Hoever, of course, has already made a senior appearance, and he and van den Berg could easily have been team-mates at this summer’s European U17 Championships in Ireland, which the Netherlands won. Van den Berg, though, was born 11 days too early to be eligible. He is already a fixture in the Dutch under-19 squad, however.

Probably why they haven't really played together at the youth level yet for Dutch teams.

RedForever2014

One for the future, hopefully near future.

Some favourable draws in the domestic cups might give him and our pool of talented young lads some game time that could result in their progress accelerating, as in fact happened with TAA.

Good to see us leveraging our Dutch links to tap into the exciting group of Dutch youngsters coming through.

Perhaps the plan is to cash in on Lovren next summer and let him step into the 4th centre back spot.

Maria

Champions of Europe VI
Welcome to LFC Sepp. May you learn, flourish and enjoy your time here.
Best of luck in a new chapter of your career.

I have to say he has lovely natural titian coloured hair. Quite a nice shade of red.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
At least Bayern knew that we were closing in. Was it Fabinho that a top club enquired about only to be told by [Monaco] that he'd already signed for us?

Club..."What? When did that happen? There's been no announcement has there?"
Monaco..."There'll be one soon"

As much as a transfer saga and its accompanying speculation is fun, I love that kind of BOOM!!! the most.
I sorry, but you really can't refer to United as a top club these days...

Limiescouse

Was just seeing whether he and Hoever play together at international youth level as he's only 1 month older than Hoever.

However, despite only being 1 month older, VDB plays for the Dutch U19s two age groups above Hoever (U17s). Hoever also plays RB for the national side whereas VDB plays CB. Is that a reflection on how the Dutch rate each player's stage of development? I must admit on the very few occasions I've seen Hoever play for the U17s he's looked far too good for that level.
The cut off for international youth football is January 1st so despite being being only days apart in age, he and Hoever are technically in different age groups. As he was too old for the U17s and there is barely any U18 international football anymore, the U19s are the next real age group up. Hoever will be an U18/19 next season so we'll see if they end up on the same side.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Looks like an astute signing, although the Youtube clip wasn’t the best. The problem is the majority of our fan base (and i say that with no disrespect) will expect too much from him, too soon.
That saying, from reading his interview he comes across very reflective and level headed which is a compliment for a lad that age and in my opinion improves his chances of a successful football career.
What impresses me with this signing is that from a scouting perspective, we had identified him as a prospect a while back. Approached him and his club in the appropriate manner and kept it quiet, with the leaks only surfacing after other clubs showed an interest.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Looks like an astute signing, although the Youtube clip wasn’t the best. The problem is the majority of our fan base (and i say that with no disrespect) will expect too much from him, too soon.
That saying, from reading his interview he comes across very reflective and level headed which is a compliment for a lad that age and in my opinion improves his chances of a successful football career.
What impresses me with this signing is that from a scouting perspective, we had identified him as a prospect a while back. Approached him and his club in the appropriate manner and kept it quiet, with the leaks only surfacing after other clubs showed an interest.
I am genuinely not worried about that. I am sure that there will be a few twats rushing to pronounce judgement in October, but we know our manager absolutely won't. He will take however long he thinks is necessary, and will be explicit about doing exactly that. If you look at this forum, you could make a Hall of Shame thread just from posts about what a bad transfer Robertson was, and Fabinho could get you most of the way there too.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ the big dog's doodahs
I know exactly what you're saying @Lynch04 With some fans it will be a case of putting the cart before the horse, but people will have to be reminded that he is still only 17 years old and still learning the game.

Yeah, I couldn't agree with you more. Gone are the days of the Wikileak-type rumours that infested the transfer waters. LFC now go about their business in the right way and once the deal is settled they report the transfer. That's why I have stopped posting to the rumour threads on our site. I may get lambasted over this, but I think threads like that are pointless and serve no other purpose than for members to bicker and demean other posters. No, let's all follow the LFC way and only talk of signings we have made and players we have had to let go or have put out on loan.

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Ad-free Member
Kid is huge considering he’s just 17 and may still yet have some room for growth. I’ve never seen him play but listening to some pundits and other forum members describe him as: good on the ball but will need a lot of time to get used to the physicality of the league, I assumed he was a lanky 17 year old that was maybe 6ft or 6 ft 1 with some room to grow.

Just saw a video where he meets Klopp and he’s already taller than Klopp and looks plenty filled out as well. He may not develop into the player we require but he’ll have all the physical tools necessary. Which is something.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Kid is huge considering he’s just 17 and may still yet have some room for growth. I’ve never seen him play but listening to some pundits and other forum members describe him as: good on the ball but will need a lot of time to get used to the physicality of the league, I assumed he was a lanky 17 year old that was maybe 6ft or 6 ft 1 with some room to grow.

Just saw a video where he meets Klopp and he’s already taller than Klopp and looks plenty filled out as well. He may not develop into the player we require but he’ll have all the physical tools necessary. Which is something.

I just seen that video aswell,quite suprised me,at 17 years old he's still growing and deffo taller than Klopp in that video,i read he was 6ft2 but i thought Klopp was 6ft4? if so that kid isn't 6ft2,he could probably end up a Crouchy 6ft7 lol