• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Vegard Forren (CD) Molde

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
If this lad is really that good - and I believe every word norwegian wood says here - someone other than me should really open a nice and tidy thread for him. :)

There is a story in Liverpool Echo about his trial.

Someone get it done!
Mods are so demanding nowdays, yeesh.

http://soccernet.esp...eal?cc=5901

Liverpool close on Forren move

January 14, 2013

By ESPN staff

Liverpool are set to sign Molde’s Vegard Forren, with the defender travelling to England on Tuesday, according to reports in Scandinavia from Television channel TV2.

Vegard Forren has been tipped for the topForren, 24, was one of the best performers in the Norwegian league last season and helped manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to win the Tippeligaen title while also making his international bow with Norway.

However, his skills have attracted the attention of the Premier League and TV2 reports that Liverpool have stolen a march on their rivals with a bid of around £4 million, saying: "Molde has accepted a bid from Premier League club Liverpool. The 24-year old is travelling to England on Tuesday to undertake a medical.

"The Daily Mirror, though, report that the deal is only on a trial basis and that the player will arrive at Melwood on Tuesday to train with the first-team in order to deal a permanent move.

Liverpool already boast one Scandinavian defender and Forren has drawn comparisons to Danish international Daniel Agger as he is strong, left-footed and comfortable on the ball.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Wait... confused. We need another central defender again, while we convert our best right back to left. What are we doing precisely? Are we selling one of ours this coming summer while recruiting to replenish before hand, so the fans won't go berserk when we sell one of the two starter?

Really odd.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Wait... confused. We need another central defender again, while we convert our best right back to left. What are we doing precisely? Are we selling one of ours this coming summer while recruiting to replenish before hand, so the fans won't go berserk when we sell one of the two starter?

Really odd.
Coates out on loan in this window, Forren in, Carragher retire in the summer and Coates returns. Maybe.

Doggie

Resident Optimist

Really odd.
Maybe Rodgers has a plan lol

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Coates out on loan in this window, Forren in, Carragher retire in the summer and Coates returns. Maybe.
Kelly? Wisdom? Aren't they all centerbacks and more natural role for them?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Kelly is out for the season.

Wisdom is a teenager and has not played there yet for the 1st team (maybe except once in the EL in a 3).

No, they can't be relied upon imo.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Kelly? Wisdom? Aren't they all centerbacks and more natural role for them?
Norwegian Wood said that we could play him at LB. I'm hoping he's a LB version of Kelly, natural CB who we can use as cover at LB for a few seasons.

Edit: He said 'may' use him at LB rather than 'can' use him at LB so hopefully he can play LB so this makes more sense.

jabu

TIA New Signing
Someone who knows please tell us what type of player he is

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Someone who knows please tell us what type of player he is
This is what Norwegian Wood said in the Unreliable Rumor thread:
Oh, the pressure!

Good player, no doubt about that. Many similarities with Agger. Comfortable on the ball, good in the air, reads the game well. Always looking for the constructive pass, doesn't mind advancing with the ball, and hits a decent free kick. Both Solskjær and respected pundits/coaches (proper ones who actually analyse football, not the Mark Lawrenson type) have previously said they think he's ready for the PL, with some even mentioning him as a possible replacement for Rio Ferdinand. Don't know about that myself, but if Solskjær thinks so then who am I to argue..?

As I always say: Difficult to judge how good players in the Norwegian league really are, but last season it became clear he's too good to play here and needs a new challenge. Looked too comfortable.

Personally I think he'll be a good buy for us. Judging by his performances for the national team I'd say he's on a similar level to Coates, but of course a different type of player. Not quite as dominant in the air, but quicker and much more comfortable with the ball. Good backup for Agger.

All in all a signing that makes a lot of sense this. We may even use him at left back to begin with, while he's adjusting to the league.

*corballyred*

Looks to me extremely odd and unambitious signing. If he was any good ole would have tipped off his pal at utd.

But hey his wages will be fuck that's what fsg want. Get rid of coates and bring in some 24 year old from the Norwegian leagues. What's happening the club.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Looks to me extremely odd and unambitious signing. If he was any good ole would have tipped off his pal at utd.

But hey his wages will be fuck that's what fsg want. Get rid of coates and bring in some 24 year old from the Norwegian leagues. What's happening the club.
United already have 5 centre backs and according to a report in the Echo the other day the club rate Coates ,so there's little evidence to suggest he's going to be sold atm. Don't get yourself worked up over nothing.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

That's the spirit.

*corballyred*

That's the spirit.
Okay what an exciting signing and with our main target a championship player shows Ayres and Werner weren't lying when they said we could sign anyone. Surprised real and barc aren't after this lad and ince.

Is that better for you.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
I guess the point he is making, is how many 25 year old players come out of minor leagues to play in the PL (25 in 4 weeks)... Besides Norweigen Wood I dont think anyone can really say they know the lad so we are all a bit in the dark.

At 4M (price Everton have had their bid accepted) however it gives me a bit of confidence, as they are relatively cautious spending money.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Okay what an exciting signing and with our main target a championship player shows Ayres and Werner weren't lying when they said we could sign anyone. Surprised real and barc aren't after this lad and ince.

Is that better for you.
You're clearly an expert on this player, how many times have you seen Molde this season?

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
I guess the point he is making, is how many 25 year old players come out of minor leagues to play in the PL (25 in 4 weeks)... Besides Norweigen Wood I dont think anyone can really say they know the lad so we are all a bit in the dark.

At 4M (price Everton have had their bid accepted) however it gives me a bit of confidence, as they are relatively cautious spending money.
Daniel agger for one

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
It would be good - no, it would be great if we started getting these super bargains again. Rafa did make some howlers in transfer market but his signings in 5-10 million pounds region turned out to be fantastic servants to our club. I'm desperate for Rodgers to repeat that trend.

Now, I haven't seen this lad play (in fact, the first time I heard about him was when norwegian wood mentioned him or was asked about him a few weeks ago, if I remember correctly) and I don't know if we will actually buy him but we had a few decent players of Scandinavian origin here and I hope that history will repeat itself and that we will again be the ones to unearth the best players from countries like Scandinavian ones, Scotland, Ireland etc., especially as we have wonderful following there.

Like ILLOK said, a new centre back would enable Coates to head out on loan and gain experience, hopefully in Premier League, while that new lad would be able to learn from Carra, Agger and Skrtel.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Daniel agger for one
Agger was just a youngster (21 or 22) when he came to us. My point was not so much the location more not many players spend half their careers at a lower level before competing at the top.There are a few examples, but it is a rarity.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Agger was just a youngster (21 or 22) when he came to us. My point was not so much the location more not many players spend half their careers at a lower level before competing at the top.There are a few examples, but it is a rarity.
It is a rarity, Michu for example, but I think its worth the risk (trial and possible signing) if we're looking for a 4th choice CB. I don't think the intention with him is to have him eventually be a first choice CB, but rather at best a future as our 3rd choice and at worst staying as our 4th choice.

Nick_LFC

Bob and Phil from Brazil!
I remember signing this guy a few years ago in like FM2009 or 2010, maybe further back. He was meant to be a wonderkid back then.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Yeah dont get me wrong, I was just putting across the other perspective of why people would be nervous about this.

I am neither here nor there about the transfer. However generally I am ok (and its sad thing to admit) but I trust Everton's scouts more than our own. If they have bid for him (and for what is a relativly big sum for them) the odds are he's not too bad a player.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
It is a rarity, Michu for example, but I think its worth the risk (trial and possible signing) if we're looking for a 4th choice CB. I don't think the intention with him is to have him eventually be a first choice CB, but rather at best a future as our 3rd choice and at worst staying as our 4th choice.
Most likely he'll be Agger's direct backup, as we don't have anyone else capable of playing it out from the back. Wilson isn't quite good enough, Coates is a bit slow and clumsy with the ball, and Kelly is inexperienced at CB.

Reactions: TFC

tjsam

TIA New Signing
Are we only signing players from the worlds best leagues then?

So when do we sell Suarez, agger and skrtel then?

I mean they only started off in Uruguay, Denmark and Slovakia. They are rubbish leagues!

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Are we only signing players from the worlds best leagues then?

So when do we sell Suarez, agger and skrtel then?

I mean they only started off in Uruguay, Denmark and Slovakia. They are rubbish leagues!
If he is good enough then the league he plays in doesn't matter. What I do find strange is that we are taking him on trial with a view to spending 4m on him. Surely our scouting department would know by now whether he is good enough.Didn't Brendan make a big thing about bringing in the Manchester City guys for their expertise in the scouting of new talent. The first real test of their skills and we end up have a player on trial ? doesn't add up to me

mafiaman20

Midfield General
Do no-one else find it strange he's coming for a trial at 24-years-old? I don't think I've ever seen this happen with a player over 20. Surely it's a bargaining tool in favor of the team who owns a player in that they know exactly how good a player is. Letting them go on trial cound scupper any potential deal.

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
I write this never having heard about this guy until today.

First, I find it amusing that anyone can actually criticize the move, likely being as ignorant as me about him. It's not like he's 12m on high wages.

But, I'm happy if true. I like that we aren't just buying known quantities from the Championship or the 'big' leagues. I think 4m is worth the risk and while nearing 25 breaks our youth policy, solid CBs can play well into their 30s and his body doesn't seem to have too many games against it so far. This isn't necessarily true for wingers who rely on pace.

We have been lucky with Sktel and Agger's health this year, but with Carra aging and little promise in Wilson, we need more CB depth.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Don't think it's a fair analysis at all. We'd never heard of Hyppia, Agger, Skrtel, Garcia, or Alonso prior to us signing them.

He could turn out to be the next Michu type signing in England.

Dos07

TIA Regular
Know nothing about him but if he's that good, why didn't Solksjaer tip off his buddy at the scum.

Doggie

Resident Optimist

What's happening? Who knows, perhaps the scouts are doing their job?

Status
Not open for further replies.